• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie:Making politicl statemnts are for other people todo, we want people tohave fun

-Ryn

Banned
Given Nintendo's brand image, Reggie's answer makes sense, and is the one I would have given if I was a Nintendo executive.

That said, the idea of apolitical art, even in Nintendo games, is ridiculous. Whether it was intentional or not, stuff like your inability to be dark skinned in Animal Crossing, or the ability to have gay relationships in Fire Emblem, are political statements.

So long as Nintendo is cognizant of that fact, I'm fine with Reggie's statement being their PR position.

P.S; I don't ever expect Mario to sit Bowser down and explain intersectional feminism to him, but recent games like ARMs and Splatoon featuring characters with dark skin and Fire Emblem Fates having (admittedly poorly written) gay relationships, does suggest to me that Nintendo is more socially and politically aware these days, even if they claim otherwise
It sounds like you're projecting politics onto something that never went out to make a statement in the first place. Just because you might be able to interpret something from a work does not make it so.

You can make observations on what the culture of the works origin might be like sure, but that doesn't make it political.

It sounds like you're projecting politics onto something that never went out to make a statement in the first place. Just because you might be able to interpret something from a work does not make it so.

You can make observations on what the culture of the works origin might be like sure, but that doesn't make it political.

Are you seriously going to try to convince yourself that having the ability to create a fair skinned character but not a dark skinned character isn't political?

Because I'll likely never be as eloquent a writer as Austin Walker, I'm just going to share a piece he wrote about this:

http://clockworkworlds.com/post/53240010750/me-on-the-screen-race-in-animal-crossing-new

erawsd

Nintendo had its share of sexist advertising during that time, too. It was a stupid thing that most game companies did to get teenage boys' attention.

What? Rape fantasies aren't wholesome family fun?

sexist-nintendo-gameboy-ad.jpg

I mean, I agree with him. I don't enjoy playing all these games with political overtones. I may think it was an interesting experience, but I don't ever have fun with them, smiling while I play. This sort of thinking is why I dropped Sony from my gaming life. They had tons of interesting experiences, but I didn't enjoy any of them.

rudger

It's not really clear that he's gay at all, he's just flamboyant. I mean, he could be, just like most of the characters in the game could be, but there's no real indication outside of his having some stereotypical characteristics.

Follow him home at night. His boy toy there comes with him.

Ashtar

What? Rape fantasies aren't wholesome family fun?

sexist-nintendo-gameboy-ad.jpg
While you may find the picture objectionable that's not a rape fantasy ( i don't think) the idea of tying up your partner is pretty popular or at least it was, do you not remember all
The fuzzy handcuffs? And pseudo s&m fetishes in the 90s?
Edit:
Her hands are clearly tied with articles of clothing and she's wearing a teddy, the premise of the ad seems to be "your partner wants you to have sex but you're too busy playing videogames "

KtSlime

Are you seriously going to try to convince yourself that having the ability to create a fair skinned character but not a dark skinned character isn't political?

Because I'll likely never be as eloquent a writer as Austin Walker, I'm just going to share a piece he wrote about this:

http://clockworkworlds.com/post/53240010750/me-on-the-screen-race-in-animal-crossing-new

It does not have to be political in every case. Surely, Nintendo, a Japanese company, has little interest and very little stake in taking sides in this US political debate on race. What is more likely, is they just didn't think about it at all. It's best not to attribute ignorance for malice.

Alo0oy

Banned
It does not have to be political in every case. Surely, Nintendo, a Japanese company, has little interest and very little stake in taking sides in this US political debate on race. What is more likely, is they just didn't think about it at all. It's best not to attribute ignorance for malice.

They sell their games outside Japan. And since when did dark skin become an American thing? That's laughable..

renzolama

Reggie is actually Nintendo's most genius industrial design and manufacturing achievement. A lifelike human robot that almost passes the turing test, exhibiting the use of cutting edge neurolinguistic technology to confuse his human audience while simultaneously parroting the talking points of his corporate overlords.

Yukinari

Huh, how is the diversity in Ubisof games forced? Care to give any examples?

I felt that way when they revealed BG&E2. As if i couldnt figure out that the trailer promoted how diverse the races are in that footage. They even put in the credits of Assassins Creed that many types of people helped developed the game as if they deserve an award for it when it should just be common knowledge?

Are people seriously going to be upset about Nintendo saying this? Most of their games barely even have a story.

People are upset about how he worded it, especially in the wake of The Last Night being heavily promoted at E3.

Instead of "we appreciate other games but that's not us", it sounds more like "fuck politics in video games". And given Reggie's general attitude that he projects.... it comes off as really bad.

KtSlime

They sell their games outside Japan. And since when did dark skin become an American thing? That's laughable..

Yes, the heads at Nintendo in Kyoto are right now plotting ways to grow racial strife in American by... Not including dark skinned characters in Animal Crossing. Boy will they ever be mad when they find out that some of their teams have been shipping games with dark skinned characters.

Japan is mostly homogenous when it comes to race, and the largest immigrant populations are from Korea, which is not something easily denoted in games by skin color. There is very little political talk about race, so it is not something that gets thought much about in the past when making games. However, they have been trying harder than ever to be inclusive going forward. This is not political, they have nothing to gain fostering a sense of exclusion, any exclusion that is done is done out of their own ignorance because it is not a issue that they are readily exposed to.

MisterHero

People are upset about how he worded it, especially in the wake of The Last Night being heavily promoted at E3.

Instead of "we appreciate other games but that's not us", it sounds more like "fuck politics in video games". And given Reggie's general attitude that he projects.... it comes off as really bad.
That's not what he said, he's not shutting down what other developers (or even Nintendo's own developers) do. They just have a different overall goal.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yes, the heads at Nintendo in Kyoto are right now plotting ways to grow racial strife in American by... Not including dark skinned characters in Animal Crossing. Boy will they ever be mad when they find out that some of their teams have been shipping games with dark skinned characters.

Japan is mostly homogenous when it comes to race, and the largest immigrant populations are from Korea, which is not something easily denoted in games by skin color. There is very little political talk about race, so it is not something that gets thought much about in the past when making games. However, they have been trying harder than ever to be inclusive going forward. This is not political, they have nothing to gain fostering a sense of exclusion, any exclusion that is done is done out of their own ignorance because it is not a issue that they are readily exposed to.

Nobody ever said their intents were malicious, but being exclusionary by being tone-deaf is not a good excuse. A lot of Japanese developers that make create-a-character games include a variety of skin tones and racial features, so being tone-deaf is not even a viable excuse.

It is a direct response to someone prodding him about the most recent FarCry game though... It's not exactly hard to see how he felt the need to double down and make sure there was no doubt or grey area to confuse properties or intent.

However, sure, it was a missed moment to say "we strive to be as inclusive as possible at all times" but he didn't.

KtSlime

Nobody ever said their intents were malicious, but being exclusionary by being tone-deaf is not a good excuse. A lot of Japanese developers that make create-a-character games include a variety of skin tones and racial features, so being tone-deaf is not even a viable excuse.

And, if you reread my post, you will see that I said that the exclusion was not motivated by politics but simply a matter of ignorance. I was arguing the fact that it is possible to do something (or not do something) without political goals. I am not excusing their ignorance, simply pointing it out.

I completely agree with Reggie/ Nintendo. Don't say anything that would have someone associate your comment with your company or your company's product.

Far Cry 5 has nothing to do with Nintendo, and it's never coming out on a Nintendo system, they just wanted a juicy headline.

Ashtar

I felt that way when they revealed BG&E2. As if i couldnt figure out that the trailer promoted how diverse the races are in that footage. They even put in the credits of Assassins Creed that many types of people helped developed the game as if they deserve an award for it when it should just be common knowledge?
I think they put that in their to ward off criticism of them being anti religion you know with beating the pope up and all.
But yeah I get it you want less diversity in games I get it 👌🏾

So, you didn't mean it as an insult but you honestly meant it as something an autistic person would say?

Do you not see how that's just as bad?

We're talking about an adult human here.... This is a person who should realize that other adult humans have an emotional range other than :smiley:

We're talking about an adult human here.... This is a person who should realize that other adult humans have an emotional range other than :smiley:

In the span of three post, you've managed to:

1) Accuse someone of being autistic either as an insult or because you attribute a specific sentence to an entire group of people.

2) Instead of asking me why I was upset at your language, you doubled down.

3) Imply that autistic people are not adults.

4) Implied that autistic people cannot understand emotions.

Where's the digging gif, GAF?

In the span of three post, you've managed to:

1) Accuse someone of being autistic either as an insult or because you attribute a specific sentence to an entire group of people.

2) Instead of asking me why I was upset at your language, you doubled down.

3) Imply that autistic people are not adults.

4) Implied that autistic people cannot understand emotions.

Where's the digging gif, GAF?

I'm not responsible for your reactions, sorry :(

Believe it or not, there exists a sizable subset of the population comprised of people who do not come to their entertainment at the end of their workday looking for advice or perspective on political or divisive topics. There is a market for those who appreciate this, quite obviously (most of whom simply seek out such material which already agrees with their personal perspective), but to assume that every professional in the field of entertainment is to be expected to embrace such sanctimonious, preachy, or even just politically suggestive forms of the art is severely short-sighted and disrespectful to the nature and value of the art itself.

Games are games. Entertainers are entertainers, not political experts. Nintendo = fun. Politics has an approximately zero percent place in their role.

Reggie says what Reggie says, that is what all people do. Speak what they usually speak.

He always says things are great on every game for the most part. Just who he is.

ViolentP

Reggie says what Reggie says, that is what all people do. Speak what they usually speak.

He always says things are great on every game for the most part. Just who he is.

He's paid to be a public face for a huge corporation. Keeping the boat from rocking is literally part of his earned wages. He's also very good at it.

While it's *nice* if a company wants to take a political stand on an issue I don't like this notion that they should be obligated to. Nintendo is a business and people across political spectrums purchase their products. So from that standpoint they're not going to pigeonhole themselves. Not shocked.

I'm not responsible for your reactions, sorry :(

C'mon man. What kind of garbage is this? Grow up.

i see why Reggie said what he said. his job is to promote his company, to sell its uniqueness. he was asked about Far Cry 5 and the gimmick they are using to market that game.

he was on a political tv news show, he didn't want to shit on people that capitalize on politics, so he said its something other people do, we focus on fun. this is all very reasonable and diplomatic.

imo every public work has a political dimension once it is experienced by multiple people w different perspectives. you don't need to Make A Political Statement to make political art.

Nintendo games don't feature you mass murdering hundreds of people with guns and knives like Ubisoft games do. yet one is actually being promoted by news programs as Making A Political Statement. what is the statement? "We are being political" is not a statement. pretending all the bad people in the country and murderous cultists you can shoot to make your problems go away is not a statement. it's just a videogame. just another dumb videogame.

I'm sorry you had to endure that. Bad Ubisoft.

*eyeroll*

He's paid to be a public face for a huge corporation. Keeping the boat from rocking is literally part of his earned wages. He's also very good at it.

Not sure if your saying what I am saying is wrong or not, but it's ok to say yeah we messed up and we know it. He doesn't do that, shoe and others will do it. Doing that isn't bad

He knows what to say to not get himself in trouble sure, but he is too pro for my tastes is all

moeman

Not an insult, the poster apparently thinks they were being super informative.

I didn't read the exchange between you two and replied in a knee-jerk reaction to that post. Needless to say I don't think you'll get through to them :/.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the use of mental illness as some pejorative, and it's something I see way too often with "gamers". Funny how they are trying to argue for politicizing video games yet can't be decent enough human beings to see why what they did is wrong and own up to it.

ViolentP

It's a pacifier.

LionPride

Banned
Okay

ViolentP

Not sure if your saying what I am saying is wrong or not, but it's ok to say yeah we messed up and we know it. He doesn't do that, shoe and others will do it. Doing that isn't bad

He knows what to say to not get himself in trouble sure, but he is too pro for my tastes is all

I totally agree with you. It's a little soft for my tastes as well. But I respect that he is the face of a family company and honestly, I would expect no less from him specifically.

jdstorm

Banned
While it's *nice* if a company wants to take a political stand on an issue I don't like this notion that they should be obligated to. Nintendo is a business and people across political spectrums purchase their products. So from that standpoint they're not going to pigeonhole themselves. Not shocked.

C'mon man. What kind of garbage is this? Grow up.

This specific situation isn't about taking a stand. Its not about assigning a highly charged partisan political oppinion to a corporation. Its not even a "Republicans also by Sneakers- Michael Jordan" type situation where someone is looking to profit from people with partisan political beliefs that may not mirror their own.

Nintendo has for a long time built their brand on innoffensive inclusive family friendly entertainment. That is perfectly fine. Not every piece of entertainment should be trying to make a politically charged statement, especially with how poorly it is often excecuted when included in video games.

However Reggie didn't talk about inclusivity and selling to all. He talked about keeping politics out of video games in a sentance that closely resembled the typical oppinions of various hate groups where "Keep politics out of xxxxxx" is used as hateful rhetoric to shout down those with dissenting oppinions.

What Reggie said was clumbsy, tone deaf and awful PR.

Top Bottom