• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

Big One

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
But how do you know Skyward Sword doesn't pull a Twilight Princess?
Nintendo wouldn't make the same mistake again, and the game is also mostly complete. They've been working on Skyward Sword for around 5 years now.

I think Super Wii getting released as soon as is financially feasible for them makes strategic sense. Thanks to PS3 and 360 insisting on exetending this generation as far as they can go, Nintendo unleashing a modern system (say, a modified 6000 series radeon GPU optimized for minimum power draw, 2 GB video ram would be awesome but I'm only expecting 1 GB) and so on will give them a clear first mover advantage. Microsoft with it's Kinect strategy cannot feasibly launch a new system within 18 months or more without screwing its kinect owners over, and although Move never really took off like Kinect did Sony still isn't comfortable with a new generation of hardware.

This will give SWii an 18 month or longer first mover advantage if they launch holiday season this year (they won't, but just for argument's sake), or a year-to-year-and-a-half if they launch Q1 2012. They will end up with the weakest system again, but this time it will be like Dreamcast-PS2 divide, not Wii-XBOX360 divide (which is embarrassing). If they can capture enough of the market before the other guys launch, they can cement themselves as the PS2/360 of this generation in terms of multiplatform development, while simultaneously having the expected very strong Nintendo first party.

Pachinko

Wii successor-
Proprietary bluray type technology. It will not play bluray films but the games will be on a higher than dvd density disc.

CPU/GPU somewhere around 90-125% of what the ps3/360 can currently do in practice, on paper it may look a bit weaker. GPU will be directX 11 equivalent , somewhere in the current midrange (6550 at best). Ram will be 1 gb tops.

On board 32 or 64 gb SDD for storage, whatever is fast cheap and available

Fully backwards compatible with the wii but gamecube BC removed, thus giving nintendo an excuse to release the few good gamecube games as HD editions.

Wiimote/ nunchaku combo still the primary controller but they will be slightly different, both devices capable of 1:1 motion sensitivity as well , perhaps a mic AND a speaker on the wiimote and a lithium ion battery pack instead of AA batteries.

Console itself will come with a charge dock capable of charging 2 wiimotes at a time , overall look like a modern take on the original famicom.

Wii sensor bar will get a massive update, not just infrared, perhaps built in camera, maybe 2 ?

3d capable output, allowing the eventual release of a 3ds player.

No matter what they put together the console will sell for 249.99 , won't be available until at least September of 2012.

Snakeyes

Pachinko said:
CPU/GPU somewhere around 90-125% of what the ps3/360 can currently do in practice, on paper it may look a bit weaker.

Unless they want to make the system very compact, what is the point of doing that? You could easily make it 150% the PS360's power at a very low cost. There have been huge advances in micro-processor architecture since early 2005.

I can sure picture Iwata, Shiggy and Miyamoto sitting at a Nextendo hardware meeting and going "Careful, don't want to make it too powerful! Can't make it seem like we are getting with the times now!"

The meme about the SWii being "a generation behind the curve technologically" is kind of strange considering there is no rational reason why this is necessarily the case. It's like people think that you can only progress a generation at a time, and by falling back with the Wii they can't catch up anymore. The reality is that they will design a system using the technology available to them, and designing a modern one is no more difficult than designing one that is 360/PS3 level of power, especially when they can just use COST technology in their box, or just pay money to ATi and say "like, I want a next gen GPU, focusing on power draw minimization".

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The meme about the SWii being "a generation behind the curve technologically" is kind of strange considering there is no rational reason why this is necessarily the case. It's like people think that you can only progress a generation at a time, and by falling back with the Wii they can't catch up anymore. The reality is that they will design a system using the technology available to them, and designing a modern one is no more difficult than designing one that is 360/PS3 level of power, especially when they can just use COST technology in their box, or just pay money to ATi and say "like, I want a next gen GPU, focusing on power draw minimization".
It would be tactical for Nintendo to release the Wii 2 near the US/EU release of the NGP march/spring. Announcement at E3 2011, little to no leaks because of how similar the tech and engine requirements do the new console will be so that Nintendo doesn't hand out kits until before then. Publishers have leaned from the Wii not to not support it from the start, but we won't hear from them until nintendos fall conference. Firmware update to unite 3DS and Wii 2 online ecosystem!

miksar said:
They don't care. They are happy enough with PS360 crowd and it is unlikely to change in the near future. Previously Nintendo designed their systems around their own needs. 3DS was the first case they made it more powerful than usual and they stated during E3 presentation last year that it was specifically for 3rd party. The same can happen with Wii's successor but it won't make Activision/EA and other big guns think differently. The best we can hope is early PS3 level of support, meaning that most of the core multiplatform games will be noticeably worse than on PS360 due to the lack of good online and almost the same graphics. That's why typical CoD crowd won't really care, so why should Nintendo care if they are happy with the market they dominate right now?
To crush their enemies?

Seriously, your theory is that if Nintendo put out a new console next year that was a bit more capable than the PS360 (1.5-2x) that 3rd parties wouldn't put the same games on it that already are being made for the other two?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
AceBandage said:
Dead all the way to the bank.

Just because they are making money doesn't mean they are relevant to the gaming world anymore, the "meat" of the gaming world anyway. Their main contribution will be motion gaming which may change how FPS are played, that's it.

Nintendo needs to step it up, or step aside.

Shanadeus

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If they care at all about multiplatform games, it's best to remove as many barriers as possible. Is DVD plenty for Nintendo? Maybe, but so was 1.5 GB plenty for them GameCube generation. It would be a Bad Thing if their next home console were to use DVD and even 3DS started getting cards that could hold more.

Shipped as of the end of last year:
Wii_EU
So 5 million to go?
How many of those 40 mil shipped have been sold?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm predicting they announce something at E3 and they go with a really powerful machine, especially with what Sony has said recently about their plans (or lack thereof) for PS4.

Zomba13

Alienshogun said:
Just because they are making money doesn't mean they are relevant to the gaming world anymore, the "meat" of the gaming world anyway. Their main contribution will be motion gaming which may change how FPS are played, that's it.

:lol

Celsior

Alienshogun said:

o...................k

Alienshogun said:

2lvgrkg.gif

jman2050

Alienshogun said:

Terrible troll

Alienshogun said:

S2V7u.gif

Alienshotgun <--------------> Nintendo

Celine

Alienshogun said:

GAF. GAF never changes.

JaseMath

Alienshogun said:

They need to go 3rd party, amirite?

Boney

Banned
Alienshogun said:

Aren't you the dude that took away smileys from us?

Alienshogun said:

*Draws sword*

I thought we killed the last of you. I'm glad I was wrong.

Boney

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
yes and now we can't even use it in commenting on his post :(
oh the irony

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Explain? I understand smileys aren't here anymore, but what did he have to do with them?

Or are you just joking around.
Well, placing the blame entirely on him is certainly unfair, but he was the last to use 'em in uh December's NPD against an Evilore post, the dude had been thinking for a few weeks/months/years that smileys were unconstructive towards discussion exactly because of laughing at posts instead of answering.

Some post are totally worth the smileys, see exhibit A above.

Alienshogun said:

Meat... what an appropriate word... Like meat head...

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Explain? I understand smileys aren't here anymore, but what did he have to do with them?

Or are you just joking around.

iirc something to do with an NPD thread and PC talk. yea boney summed it up better.

J-Rock

Banned
Alienshogun said:

Step aside for what exactly?

KAL2006

Banned
If I had to guess the next Nintendo console would launch fall 2012, and be revealed at E3 2012. The console would be more powerful than PS3/360 and every game will be 1080p as a standard. The game will be 100% backwards compatible with Wii (maybe even upscale games like Dolphin). It will use a combination of Motion+ controller and a camera for augmented reality game like Kinect and PSeye cameras. The biggest push for the console will be augmented reality, and the camera will be high quality HD camera. They could release a Nintendogs game for the console where you can actually interact with the dog in your living room. The Nunchuck will also have Motion+ technology. The online implementation will be as good as PSN/XBL, except it will be much easier to use for casuals, they will implement Mii's for everything to make it more appealing to casuals.

As for 2011 and early 2012, I think Nintendo will just push the 3DS in the mean time. And as for Microsoft and Sony, I expect Microsoft to launch there console at 2013, a couple of months after the next gen Nintendo console so they can grab the next gen market as soon as possible. Sony will try and rush their console and follow suit as they don't want to make the same mistake again, but there will be delays and their console will launch the earliest 8 months after the release of microsofts console

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
JoshuaJSlone said:
Shipped as of the end of last year:
Wii_EU

So basically, unless Nintendo has literally nothing of worth beyond Zelda, Kirby, Rhythm Tengoku and DQX (which I find hard to believe because of the bundled Wii Remote Plus and things that have yet to come out like the Vitality Sensor), the system is gonna sell upwards of 100M units by the end of its life. I mean, if we assume that the Wii 2 won't come out until Q4 2012 and that Nintendo won't completely abandon the system until then, we're talking 110M units. In the sorta unlikely scenario that they come up with a single Mario Kart/NSMB Wii/Wii Fit-like killer app (could be Wii Relax), the Wii might sell a bit more. Iwata did say that they have a few more games up their sleeves that they haven't announced yet. It shouldn't be surprising, but it certainly makes me wonder what exactly.

Big One said:
Nintendo wouldn't make the same mistake again, and the game is also mostly complete. They've been working on Skyward Sword for around 5 years now.
Nintendo didn't make a mistake last time with Twilight Princess's positioning on Wii. It was the perfect catch all to get the hardcore to the next system.

They made a mistake with the oversight of the actual gameplay. THIS is the mistake they won't make this time. Their positioning of it will be as perfect as ever, I'd predict.

camineet

Banned
GregLombardi said:
Nintendo didn't make a mistake last time with Twilight Princess's positioning on Wii. It was the perfect catch all to get the hardcore to the next system.

They made a mistake with the oversight of the actual gameplay. THIS is the mistake they won't make this time. Their positioning of it will be as perfect as ever, I'd predict.

Pretty much agreed. Although Twilight Princess is still my favorite Zelda ever.

I cannot wait to see an HD Zelda at 1080p 60fps running on a modern GPU that's more powerful than the Xbox 360's Xenos and RSX combined. Even if Nintendo used a GPU equal to the RV770 from 2008, this could be achived.

Khrno

Snakeyes said:
I can sure picture Iwata, Shiggy and Miyamoto sitting at a Nextendo hardware meeting and going "Careful, don't want to make it too powerful! Can't make it seem like we are getting with the times now!"

Mirrors indeed.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Big One said:
How was it a mistake?

farnham

Banned
Alienshogun said:

they stepped aside a long time ago and created a new market
ShockingAlberto said:
People on the internet did not like the first hour. :mad:
at the same time the game is the second biggest zelda game saleswise after ocarina and features the best dungeons in a 3d zelda game ever

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Skyward Sword being a cross-platform title like Twilight Princess would actually be to its benefit I believe. The game looks amazing.... imagine it on Super Wii in HD, or maybe even in 3D! Pretty sure that would be a big enough incentive for us hardcore gamers to buy it on Super Wii, and would get jaded graphic whores to give it a chance while the casual players and/or late adapters could still play it on Wii. Then add in some gameplay that uses the Super Wii gimmick (a more in-depth Vitality Sensor is my guess) and you have plenty of reason for it to be a launch title on Super Wii.

Of course that is assuming that A. Super Wii is released this year or B. Skyward Sword is delayed until next year..... which I have a hard time seeing either happen.

Cipherr

Stephen Colbert said:
As far as consoles are concerned, the Nintendo approach didn't work out for them with either the n64 or the Gamecube.

They made plenty of profit on both of those consoles. I would say that worked out well for them, which is exactly what the man said.

Stephen Colbert said:
They lucked out with the Wii

I can always tell Im going to get a laugh when I read a sentence that starts with this.

Stephen Colbert said:
but even here they failed at getting third party support and their overall software sales haven't been too hot.

The Wii has sold more software than any of the other two consoles. If thats not "too hot" then the others are abysmal.

Stephen Colbert said:
I wouldn't say their approach always works out for them with consoles.

Lets compare how many quarters in the red MS and Sonys game divisions have posted in the red vs Nintendos over the last 15 years and see how well that holds.
It wont.

Stephen Colbert said:
Matching the specs of upcoming consoles (ps4/720) is the easiest way to ensure they get multiplatform games released for their system as well. I hope they are looking at the AMD Bulldozer.

I hope they don't still believe this. Simply matching the hardware of the next Xbox and PS isn't going to get me to buy my multiplats on Nintendos next platform. They have some serious internal issues they need to work out before most gamers would even consider it. The archaic, prehistoric online is the biggest. What reason will I have to dump my friends list on XBL and shit to play multiplats on their next console? None. Developers know this too. Matching the hardware wont be enough, it wasnt for the GC and it wont next gen. Theres a lot of deep rooted shit that would need to happen for them to swing third party support and the support of most core gamers in their direction. And Im not even entirely sure they care to try. Worst yet, Im not sure I would care if they tried. And thats pretty damning.

If the next xbox and ps have steam integrated somehow that shit would be the epic companion for my PC gaming, and just like now Nintendo would get very little of my attention. They will do fine with their general market Im sure though. They always have.

thefro

BMF said:
To crush their enemies?

Seriously, your theory is that if Nintendo put out a new console next year that was a bit more capable than the PS360 (1.5-2x) that 3rd parties wouldn't put the same games on it that already are being made for the other two?

Are people going to buy Wii 2 just to play PS360 games with higher AA? None of these 3rd parties are going to put a huge amount of effort into pushing the system to the limit.

I don't think that alone wins you the core market. You're not going to get exclusives from 3rd parties until the userbase builds up. Obviously, Nintendo's resources as far as number of teams that can make a great looking 1st party game that would be beyond PS360 level are very, very limited.

Forkball

Alienshogun said:

Reggie_3DS.gif

Top Bottom