• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

Celine

AceBandage said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

ShockingAlberto
Banned
(02-28-2011, 04:10 PM)
Reply | Quote

The hell?!
Too reasonable for this forum.

[Nintex] said:
Yeah me too, at this point in its life the GameCube still had some cool third party games slated.
You mean the two late releases of Capcom exclulol Fab54

AceBandage said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

ShockingAlberto
Banned
(02-28-2011, 04:10 PM)
Reply | Quote

The hell?!
Ugggh, what is coming to neogaf, most of the posters I've come to know have either left or been banned (or in camineet's case been rather hilariously juniored, kind of sucks, I liked his threads).

Anyhow, on topic, have the 3DS soon, Wii can fade away for a year before its successor arrives.

apana

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Ugggh, what is coming to neogaf, most of the posters I've come to know have either left or been banned (or in camineet's case been rather hilariously juniored, kind of sucks, I liked his threads).

Anyhow, on topic, have the 3DS soon, Wii can fade away for a year before its successor arrives.

Why was camineet juniored?

apana said:
Why was camineet juniored?
Prepped a "Zelda Wii announced" thread in advance a few E3's ago when it was expected to be announced but wasn't beyond a blurry poster. He posted it, accidentally I guess, and got banned/juniored as a result. Thread was fun.

EDIT: At least I assume that's why he's still juniored.

Sadist

I don't want to open a new topic, but after THQ another third party commenting on Nintendo's future plus the Wii is a legacy platform already.

Article here

"When you look at Nintendo, for a while there, it was all about the Wii being the biggest entertainment platform ever and capturing the mass market, and it faded away. Now, they’re coming back with a second act. I think they know that. They’re very self-aware as an organization and a very powerful brand. They understand the dynamics and the fact that HD consoles is a booming part of business right now. Legacy platforms like PS2 and the Wii have dropped off significantly. They’re not stupid. They’re going to figure something out. They’re going to come back at it. [Wii] is a tough market for a third party. When I look at a development dollar in terms of which teams do I invest in, and what platforms to go at, they’re not very competitive when you look at HD consoles, or free-to-play bets, or things like tablets and handsets. It’s something they need to think seriously about with their next gen - how serious is a third party development community for them on their next platform and their next bet? They can get to a certain level of success with their own IPs and their own internal development, but if they don’t have that developer ecosystem where it’s frankly easy to make money on the platform, they’re going to see there are too many opportunities in the world right now to go build games on other platforms in a very successful high quality, highly profitable way. They need to take note of that."

Sadist said:
I don't want to open a new topic, but after THQ another third party commenting on Nintendo's future plus the Wii is a legacy platform already.

Article here

Oh wow, why did I chuckle? That was rather odd, legacy platform, so I guess EA will just furthur support Wii with sports games, PS2 still seemed to get those. This is just an odd designation for Wii, legacy?!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I have owned every single Nintendo system and the Wii right now feels exactly like the end of the N64 albeit a much more successful version. I could be wrong but I remember playing my Gamecube a lot more towards then end than I have the Wii.

I'm crossing my fingers that Nintendo announces something at e3, especially considering that I'll be there this year :)

I honestly can't picture Nintendo coming out with a new console this year. Maybe announcing it in 2012 and releasing it during the holidays, but in my head it makes more sense to talk about it next year and release in 2013.

Doc, don't you think announcing the Wii's successor this year would partly steal the 3DS's thunder? I also think it's insanity to release a new console when the Kinect is doing so well. A lot of people just bought it and they're still playing it, why go against the giant right now when it's the new shiny toy on the market? I think it makes more sense to (like Microsoft did against the Wii) release once the "fad" (if it's that) has passed.

Their entire focus for this year is 3DS.
The soonest we'd see a new console would be the end of 2012.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.
They don't have the resources for it right now.

FunkyPajamas said:
I honestly can't picture Nintendo coming out with a new console this year. Maybe announcing it in 2012 and releasing it during the holidays, but in my head it makes more sense to talk about it next year and release in 2013.

Doc, don't you think announcing the Wii's successor this year would partly steal the 3DS's thunder? I also think it's insanity to release a new console when the Kinect is doing so well. A lot of people just bought it and they're still playing it, why go against the giant right now when it's the new shiny toy on the market? I think it makes more sense to (like Microsoft did against the Wii) release once the "fad" (if it's that) has passed.

Releasing in this month and releasing something else 8 months later isnt really stealing its thunder. Wouldnt it be far more profitable to release it since Wii sales are tapering off anyway? (I believe a release in 2012 is likely, though), and is there that much overlap between Nintendo home consoles and handheld? People didnt stop buying DSi's even though the 3DS was announced!

Sadist said:
Announcing this year =/= releasing this year!

No, but announcing it this years = diminishing 3DS hype and appeal.
People will be more interested in the next Nintendo system.
It just isn't logical at all.

Dedication Through Light said:
Releasing in this month and releasing something else 8 months later isnt really stealing its thunder. Wouldnt it be far more profitable to release it since Wii sales are tapering off anyway? (I believe a release in 2012 is likely, though)

Wii was up YoY for the last NPD, actually.

farnham

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
I have owned every single Nintendo system and the Wii right now feels exactly like the end of the N64 albeit a much more successful version. I could be wrong but I remember playing my Gamecube a lot more towards then end than I have the Wii.

I'm crossing my fingers that Nintendo announces something at e3, especially considering that I'll be there this year :)
what did you exactly play ?

odama ? chibirobo ? chaos field ?

AceBandage said:

Wii was up YoY for the last NPD, actually.

That was a month?, havent sales been down since 09 and 10?

BY2K

Membero Americo
AceBandage said:

By the time E3 hits, the 3DS would have been released everywhere for a couple of months already.
Heck, Nintendo announced the 3DS not long after the DSi XL was released.

That was a month?, havent sales been down since 09 and 10?

Yes sales are down from the years that is was greatly outpacing any other system in existence.
That really means nothing.
However, the fact that sales were up during a month with no notable releases means that it's not tapering off, rather it's just stabilizing.

By the time E3 hits, the 3DS would have been released everywhere for a couple of months already.
Heck, Nintendo announced the 3DS not long after the DSi XL was released.

The XL was a revision, not a whole new system...
They may give some hints about the N6 this year, but they won't announce it. They don't have the resources for any games since they're all either on Wii or 3DS.

Sadist said:

Article here
They do have some good points but I find it funny they call the Wii dead when it's still selling on par with the other systems. Also many third parties saw success on Wii but I get the feeling many third parties didn't understand why and essentially ruined the 3rd party sales for the platform. So the third party situation, I'd say was 65% third parties fault and 35% Nintendo's fault. Nintendo could've done alot of things to help third parties and court them with the system which they should've done a lot more of. However, third parties shouldn't have to rely on platform holders to pay them to make games for them. It also shouldn't be third parties prerogative to expect royalties from platform holders to fund their projects and plan their development around that especially when they still were closing lots of studios because their game failed. That's poor planning and insight.

Oh wow, why did I chuckle? That was rather odd, legacy platform, so I guess EA will just furthur support Wii with sports games, PS2 still seemed to get those. This is just an odd designation for Wii, legacy?!
No, didn't you read the Wii and PS2 are dead(Don't tell them it's still selling on par with the other systems/greater than other systems they are still supporting). That's their likely excuse why they won't be releasing games to the Wii.

Unless you had a huge backlog for the GCN, the release schedule for the Wii has been significantly better than the GCN with roughly the same amount of games anounced for the platform as of right now.

AceBandage said:
Yes sales are down from the years that is was greatly outpacing any other system in existence.
That really means nothing.
However, the fact that sales were up during a month with no notable releases means that it's not tapering off, rather it's just stabilizing.

I think to EA it means something. Based on the quote, they nor other publishers see it as stabilizing, or else they would support it, right? I think, to them, its on perpetual continuous decline...

ZAK

I think to EA it means something. Based on the quote, they nor other publishers see it as stabilizing, or else they would support it, right? I think, to them, its on perpetual continuous decline...
Well, I dunno. How well did they support it when it was clearly on the rise?

Here's a thought. Maybe it'd pick back up if some games were announced! But, no, that's not their problem. Someone else has to stimulate the sales. Of course, if first party games do that, then "we gotta compete with Nintendo" and "people are only buying it for Nintendo games anyway." Besides, if it's getting good sales, those are just casuals; and if those big sales start falling, then screw it, who cares. Abandon ship. It doesn't matter how well it's selling in absolute terms or what kind of potential audience is really being lost there.

Basically, there's always an excuse, and there's never much consistency. There's reasons for what they do but I think we need to figure those out for ourselves.

ZAK said:
Well, I dunno. How well did they support it when it was clearly on the rise?

Here's a thought. Maybe it'd pick back up if some games were announced! But, no, that's not their problem. Someone else has to stimulate the sales. Of course, if first party games do that, then "we gotta compete with Nintendo" and "people are only buying it for Nintendo games anyway." Besides, if it's getting good sales, those are just casuals; and if those big sales start falling, then screw it, who cares. Abandon ship. It doesn't matter how well it's selling in absolute terms or what kind of potential audience is really being lost there.

Basically, there's always an excuse, and there's never much consistency. There's reasons for what they do but I think we need to figure those out for ourselves.

Bingo.
What was EA's biggest Wii game?
Boom Blox, I suppose, but they screwed up the sequel somehow by not marketing it...

EA really doesn't know what they're doing with Nintendo's systems, so I really can't take their speculation seriously.

Sipowicz

Banned
AceBandage said:
Bingo.
What was EA's biggest Wii game?
Boom Blox, I suppose, but they screwed up the sequel somehow by not marketing it...

EA really doesn't know what they're doing with Nintendo's systems, so I really can't take their speculation seriously.

i honestly dont see it as a marketing issue. i think it's just down to their incompetence as a publisher/developer. they've been continuously bleeding money this generation. clearly they have no idea what they're doing, and the worst thing anyone could do is listen to their "advice"

there's a reason nintendo only released one mario kart on the wii, and that reason is that they are a competent successful, company. boom blox 2 was alright but seriously, how many people need more than one jenga clone for a console? this isn't mass effect 2 it's an expansion pack for a game in which you knock shit over. no-one's buying it especially at 50 dollars.

EA is an incredibly schizophrenic company, and with nintendo systems and handhelds they are also lazy, cheap and rubbish. if nintendo had any sense EA wouldn't be let anywhere near a 3ds dev kit.

Sipowicz said:
there's a reason nintendo only released one mario kart on the wii, and that reason is that they are a competent successful, company. boom blox 2 was alright but seriously, how many people need more than one jenga clone for a console? this isn't mass effect 2 it's an expansion pack for a game in which you knock shit over. no-one's buying it especially at 50 dollars.
I normally gloss over your wanton EA hate but this was a very insightful post.

Sadly, EA still produces royalties for Nintendo, so they'll get dev kits.
But they won't have any meaningful presence on the 3DS, that's for sure.
Especially since Nintendo and Capcom are all lovey dovey right now.

Nessus

1-D_FTW said:
Because it's a great idea. But it should be built into the controller and I've been on record as stating it would be from almost the time it was announced.

Here's Gabe Newell explaining why it's going to be awesome:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-valve-biometrics-blog-entry

Wouldn't be surprised if it just gets integrated into the controller for Nintendo's next console. Something that works by you simply holding the controller normally, that doesn't need to be clipped on or bought separately.

Doc Holliday

farnham said:

Killer 7, Naruto import and F-zero. I know it isn't much, but it's more than nothing :/ Last Wii game I played was Donkey kong.

sphinx

the piano man
farnham said:

I was playing Twilight Princess and Baten Kaitos Origins, which is an RPG that the Wii can only dream of having (and will never have).

2 games were enough to go out with a bang, in my opinion.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Prepped a "Zelda Wii announced" thread in advance a few E3's ago when it was expected to be announced but wasn't beyond a blurry poster. He posted it, accidentally I guess, and got banned/juniored as a result. Thread was fun.

EDIT: At least I assume that's why he's still juniored.

No. He got banned, but turned out the image was real.

Doc Holliday

lunchwithyuzo said:
DKCR came out later in Wii's cycle than any of those did on Gamecube.

Killer 7 came out in 2005, Wii was launched the next year.

GC launched in 2001, Killer 7 came out 2005. That's four years.

Wii Launched in 2006, DK launched in 2010. That's four years.

That's splitting hairs anyway, I'm sure the Wii has a bunch of games ive missed out. It's the general mood and the level excitement that kinda sucks. It's like that for a while, minus Super Mario Galaxy 2 of course :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bending_Unit_22 said:
jetjevons said:
Does anyone know why ShockingA was banned? He was one of my favorite posters.

The vast majority of bans to non-junior members are temporary. In SA's case it was a pretty minor thing, just a pissing match with another user that escalated a little too much. He's free to discuss the specifics when he gets back very shortly.

pgtl_10

Lord_Byron28 said:
They do have some good points but I find it funny they call the Wii dead when it's still selling on par with the other systems. Also many third parties saw success on Wii but I get the feeling many third parties didn't understand why and essentially ruined the 3rd party sales for the platform. So the third party situation, I'd say was 65% third parties fault and 35% Nintendo's fault. Nintendo could've done alot of things to help third parties and court them with the system which they should've done a lot more of. However, third parties shouldn't have to rely on platform holders to pay them to make games for them. It also shouldn't be third parties prerogative to expect royalties from platform holders to fund their projects and plan their development around that especially when they still were closing lots of studios because their game failed. That's poor planning and insight.

No, didn't you read the Wii and PS2 are dead(Don't tell them it's still selling on par with the other systems/greater than other systems they are still supporting). That's their likely excuse why they won't be releasing games to the Wii.

Unless you had a huge backlog for the GCN, the release schedule for the Wii has been significantly better than the GCN with roughly the same amount of games anounced for the platform as of right now.

I agree with nearly everything you said. I blame third parties for their own failures and anybody who think Nintendo at this point during Cube era was better that Wii is kidding themselves.

People forget how that third parties overlooked the cube when releasing multi-platform games. Third parties were too late on Wii and chose to use shovelware to capitalize on it.

Sadly Nintendo's best chance to getting third parties would be putting massive support behind them and making sure they release games to genres and demographics Nintendo doesn't cover. Also they need to market those games heavily and probably need to keep continuous support for the first two years. It will be costly but that is what MS did with Xbox and it worked.

Doc Holliday said:
Killer 7 came out in 2005, Wii was launched the next year.

GC launched in 2001, Killer 7 came out 2005. That's four years.

Wii Launched in 2006, DK launched in 2010. That's four years.

That's splitting hairs anyway, I'm sure the Wii has a bunch of games ive missed out. It's the general mood and the level excitement that kinda sucks. It's like that for a while, minus Super Mario Galaxy 2 of course :)
July for Killer 7 versus November for DKCR.

I don't disagree with the sentiment though, Wii seems especially hopeless for this year. 2010 turned out well though, which probably also makes 2011 feel more barren in comparison.

Stumpokapow said:
The vast majority of bans to non-junior members are temporary. In SA's case it was a pretty minor thing, just a pissing match with another user that escalated a little too much. He's free to discuss the specifics when he gets back very shortly.

That's good then, easily one of the better posters on GAF.

Auron

Nintendo clearly has their eyes on the 3DS ball this year. As for some great Wii titles like XenoBlade and Last Story - why is it always Nintendo's responsibility to bring these over? If they really are such great games, a third-party should purchase the rights and release them.

pgtl_10

lunchwithyuzo said:
July for Killer 7 versus November for DKCR.

I don't disagree with the sentiment though, Wii seems especially hopeless for this year. 2010 turned out well though, which probably also makes 2011 feel more barren in comparison.

That's splitting hairs. Also SMG 2 came out the same year as DKC and came out in June.

Doc Holliday

After hearing things Nintendo has said about the 3ds, sounds like they are changing their attitudes about 3rd parties and hardware in general. Hopefully this bodes well for whatever they decide to do after t he Wii.

apana

Auron said:
Nintendo clearly has their eyes on the 3DS ball this year. As for some great Wii titles like XenoBlade and Last Story - why is it always Nintendo's responsibility to bring these over? If they really are such great games, a third-party should purchase the rights and release them.

Joke right?

Auron

apana said:
Joke right?

No joke. Nintendo of America is already putting in the effort to bring out all the Dragon Quest titles, and they aren't really selling. Bringing out these titles to the US is a huge strain on resources.

There is no good reason Nintendo should be expected to translate and release every decent title that is released on their Japanese platforms. An experienced Japanese RPG translation company like Atlus would the best to take on the task.

AniHawk

Auron said:
No joke. Nintendo of America is already putting in the effort to bring out all the Dragon Quest titles, and they aren't really selling. Bringing out these titles to the US is a huge strain on resources.

There is no good reason Nintendo should be expected to translate and release every decent title that is released on their Japanese platforms. An experienced Japanese RPG translation company like Atlus would the best to take on the task.

xenoblade and the last story are first party efforts though. the former more than the latter.

Auron

AniHawk said:
xenoblade and the last story are first party efforts though. the former more than the latter.

It looks like that is definitely the case for XenoBlade as it was developed by Monolith Soft. Hmm...

camineet

Banned
I hope Nintendo goes with an AMD GPU like Microsoft did in 2003-2005. I want it to be rippingly powerful. Enough to do Mario Galaxy 3 or Mario Universe in full 1080p 60fps glory.

Effect

The big difference between Dragon Quest 9 and the recent DQ6 is one is the latest entry in the series and the other is a remake. The lack of success for the remakes should be looked at differently from the success of the latest entry which has done very well all things being considered.

I think backing Dragon Quest outside of 9 the way they have was a mistake in the end. I wish they had focused more on Golden Sun, and their own IPs instead. They're spending resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

I honestly think Xenoblade and The Last Story could do well for Nintendo if they are smart about how they market them outside of Japan. Aimed them directly at Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Galaxy type fans. The Nintendo core and focus on them. They aren't going to get those that primarily play other systems. They'll get multi-system owners but more likely those of that group that favor the Wii more for whatever reason. They need to aim at the hardcore Nintendo fans and be happy with that. If they do that they could several hundred thousand to a few million if they are lucky. The success or lack of it in Japan shouldn't judge how those games will do outside of Japan. RPGs are big on hand helds there. That really isn't the case, yet anyway, elsewhere. They have several channels open to them. Hype the hell out of those games on their Wii channels, various Nintendo sites and magazines that would be all to willing to give them an outlet. Then do TV advertising, etc.

camineet said:
I hope Nintendo goes with an AMD GPU like Microsoft did in 2003-2005. I want it to be rippingly powerful. Enough to do Mario Galaxy 3 or Mario Universe in full 1080p 60fps glory.

Whoever they go with I just want to freaking see a Mario Galaxy or Zelda and WAVE RACE in all their amazing, polygon-pushing, next-gen, HD glory. And please, at least 2-3 new Nintendo IPs that hit dead center in the middle of the traditional core gaming market, that take advantage of all that. Then they can get me back.

For the love of god, go back to pushing the envelope in all directions. Something tells me though, they no longer care about guys like me :(

Top Bottom