• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

Majine

Banned
Because this thread about a qualitative opinion from a company talking head has fulminated into an argument about the Wii U's "generation" I thought it would be fun to really expand the power equals generations into its fullest manifestation.

Generation - Console

1st - Magnavox Odyssey
2nd - Philips Odyssey
3rd - Atari 2600
4th - ColecoVision
5th - Atari 5200
6th - Atari 7800
7th - Sega Master System
8th - Nintendo Famicon
9th - PC Engine
8th - Sega Mega Drive
10th - Super Famicon (because colours)
11th - SuperGraphx
12th - SNK Neogeo
13th - ??? 3DO
14th - Sony Playstation
15th - Atari Jaguar
16th - Nintendo 64 (because carts rule!)
17th - Sega Saturn
18th - Dreamcast
19th - Playstation 2
20th - Nintendo Gamecube
21st - Microsoft Xbox (because it's so big)
22nd - Wii
23rd - Xbox 360
24th - Playstation 3 (because Ken Kutaragi and price)

Note: I may have missed a console or two but I think it's clear from this list that the Wii U is not 8th generation.

Note 2: I didn't put any effort whatsoever into this list so feel free to correct it, debate it, hate it or ban me :)

I like it. About as consistent as you can get with this shit. But people will hate it because it doesn't pair consoles up. Need to be fighting eachother for things to get interesting.

IrishNinja

Too bad that 3rd parties care more about technological changes rather then new ways to play. Just look at IR pointer in the wiimote it was largely ignored....and it will again with wiiu...

quick, what are next week's lottery #'s

I like it. About as consistent as you can get with this shit. But people will hate it because it doesn't pair consoles up. Need to be fighting eachother for things to get interesting.

likewise, the only reason you're seeing anything resembling consistency across that batch is because you chose to - numerous entries are weaker than their immediate predecessors in there.

it's why no one really subscribes to that metric, beyond message board discussion.

Majine

Banned
likewise, the only reason you're seeing anything resembling consistency across that batch is because you chose to - numerous entries are weaker than their immediate predecessors in there.

it's why no one really subscribes to that metric, beyond message board discussion.

Was talking more about the way its presented, not if the actual list is 100% factual.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
are Nintendo fans still obsessed with Reggie then?

Well from a UK perspective he's that funny bloke from America. He's like a stereotypical car sales man but without the comically large cowboy hat. His decision don't have much impact on me so I just watch him for laughs.

Binabik15

I are confused about this whole generation argument.

Is it a good or bad thing if the Wii-U is/isn't in the same gen as PS4/Nextbox?

It's not like it will suddenly grow another cpu core because of labeling it one way or the other.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I are confused about this whole generation argument.

Is it a good or bad thing if the Wii-U is/isn't in the same gen as PS4/Nextbox?

It's not like it will suddenly grow another cpu core because of labeling it one way or the other.

People just don't want another 5 years of people referring to current generation games as next generation. It's like calling today tomorrow.

numerous entries are weaker than their immediate predecessors in there

Prove it Irish.

Was talking more about the way its presented, not if the actual list is 100% factual.

100% factual? Even if I had tried, this would be so hard to do. Do you have any idea how many consoles have been released? Trying to create an actual power ranking would take hours of research. And to what point? The way Wikipedia has done is probably the best - eras of time.

Krabboss

From Wikipedia "The Sega Saturn... the most technically advanced console of the generation."

It had dual processors!
I don't know how advanced it was, but it was very complicated and really terrible at doing 3D graphics. Even worse than the PS1, which had a few issues like no hardware Z-buffer (so cycles had to be used up to do one through software).

It's possible the Saturn was the best at doing 2D stuff though.

DCharlie

Banned
So now you're saying that nobody cares about games? They are a multi billion dollar industry and new console launches are a big event that impacts retail etc.

No one cares when someone goes on TV and says "games look better on our machine" is what i was getting at.

What if the CEO of a sun cream manufacturer went on CNN to talk about skin cancer, and said his product was dramatically better than others, when it wasn't true? It might not 'matter' in the grand scheme of things but its basically fraud, and some people may buy that product based on that.

You make it sounds like this sort of thing doesn't happen over and over and over and over again! No one is going to go onto CNN and say "yea, we're probably about 8th at stopping skin cancer" - as a PR mouth piece you'd find the way to spin your spin. Hell : Sony "Smoother textures!"

Again - I'm not sure why i'm sticking my oar in - i'm not a big fan of Reggie but i just find some of the reaction to this a bit puzzling.

I wonder about this... I feel like the Xbox was more powerful (launch game Dead or Alive 3 was in 720P!), but it may have just been the level of production that was attempted on each machine...

You may be right. I never owned either machine - my limited observations of each is that the best Wii games are a bit "cleaner" than the best Xbox games.

I don't know how advanced it was, but it was very complicated and really terrible at doing 3D graphics. Even worse than the PS1, which had a few issues like no hardware Z-buffer (so cycles had to be used up to do one through software).

Am I the only one who wishes 2D graphics had dominated for just one more generation. Can you imagine how awesome five years of SOTN-level games would have been?!

Yup Saturn was best at 2D by far and severely lacked in the 3D department.

It took the Sega wizards a lot of sorcery to make games like VF2, PDS and Nights.

IrishNinja

Prove it Irish.

well - and i could be wrong here - the ones that jump out at me at the sega master system (> NES), PC Engine (i wanna say > Genesis), PSX > Saturn (depending on task, as mentioned), 360 > PS3 (based on RAM but im assuming you're just doing this on processor?), and im not sure how the neo-geo stacks against some of its neighbors.

I'd prefer if 2D and 3D were to co-exist instead of dominating. Pretty lame that 2D was looked down upon in that time.

blame bernie stolar and next gen magazine, heh

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You may be right. I never owned either machine - my limited observations of each is that the best Wii games are a bit "cleaner" than the best Xbox games.

I think you'd appreciate Xbox 1 more if you saw them side by side. Just the fact that Xbox had some 720p games in 2001 makes me say it is cleaner. I was playing both on an HDTV the other day.... Xbox "popped" more than my years of playing Wii (Team Ninja games @_@). Its library is very small, though.

People just don't want another 5 years of people referring to current generation games as next generation. It's like calling today tomorrow.

The only way I can see ppl accepting wii-u as "next gen" is if the future consoles are grossly underpowered. Which won't happen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only way I can see ppl accepting wii-u as "next gen" is if the future consoles are grossly underpowered. Which won't happen.

WiiU is current gen. The PS4 and NeXtBox will be current gen when they come out. Next gen now is 2017.

The problem lies on whether or not people are willing to refer to the 360 and PS3 as the previous gen after years of calling them next gen. I heard Geoff Keighley had a migraine for 72 hours trying to come to terms with it.

I'd prefer if 2D and 3D were to co-exist instead of dominating. Pretty lame that 2D was looked down upon in that time.

I do like that indie developers have taken up the 2D mantle... somewhat. Still haven't played anything comparable to the heyday of SNES and Genesis.

There was always the Neo Geo. Even now games for Neo Geo look really great, I think.

One day I'll have a good computer and figure out how to run a NeoGeo emulator because I still can't afford the real thing.

well - and i could be wrong here - the ones that jump out at me at the sega master system (> NES), PC Engine (i wanna say > Genesis), PSX > Saturn (depending on task, as mentioned), 360 > PS3 (based on RAM but im assuming you're just doing this on processor?), and im not sure how the neo-geo stacks against some of its neighbors.

I'd maybe give you the Master System but the genesis had blast processing (although PC Engine had Bonk... it's close)... I'm joking of course.

The Saturn was a weird machine; probably Sega hedging their bets on 3D.

The 360 vs. PS3 is frankly a toss-up. Their best, exclusive games are very similar in IQ, complexity, and general wow-factor. My limited understanding of processors leads to believe that the PS3 is more capable but it is so hard to reach that level.

I put NeoGeo there because as a 2D gaming machine it is, in my opinion, unsurpassed. Because of its positioning in the market, it probably never got enough developers banging on it to find out just how far it could go. Definitely produced some amazing games though.

I think you'd appreciate Xbox 1 more if you saw them side by side. Just the fact that Xbox had some 720p games in 2001 makes me say it is cleaner. I was playing both on an HDTV the other day.... Xbox "popped" more than my years of playing Wii (Team Ninja games @_@). Its library is very small, though.

Fair enough.

Yagharek

Saturn was designed with 2D processing in mind, then Sony unveiled the PS1 and a 3D emphasis which forced Sega to put another chip in.

Saturn's advantage was with 2D games and the ram cart upgrade for games like XMen Vs SF made it significantly better than PS1 for games with lots of sprites.

Obviously the market wanted 3D games back then.

who cares? Both TOTALLY SUCK!!! ;)

Oh, I bet you're one of those iRobot casual vacuumers we hear so much about these days.

Seance

Banned
This "next-gen" "not next-gen" shit is like two insane lunatics rambling at each other where one is yelling about how he likes long socks and the other about how he prefers Tuesdays.

Not really. WiiU isn't next-gen. But what does it matter?

OniShiro

Banned
WiiU is current gen. The PS4 and NeXtBox will be current gen when they come out. Next gen now is 2017.

The problem lies on whether or not people are willing to refer to the 360 and PS3 as the previous gen after years of calling them next gen. I heard Geoff Keighley had a migraine for 72 hours trying to come to terms with it.

No they will not, Sony and MS know that people will not pay to buy the same machines again.

The PS4 and NextXbox will be more powerful than current gen, at least 3x current performance.

That being said we still don't know how Wii U compares to current or next gen.

Edit: Nevermind, misreaded your post.

Krabboss

I don't think people have called 360/PS3 next gen for a long while now. I know what you're talking about, though - I remember years into this generation people still calling current consoles "next-gen."

People take issue with the nomenclature because they don't like the implications that:

1) Wii U is "underpowered"/not a significant leap/not the generational leap traditionally associated with a console transition.
2) Consequently Wii U may not receive the same degree of support that the other consoles may. As the Wii didn't.
3) It's easier to argue semantics rather than addressing these underlying issues.

Whether or not one ascribes to a solely chronological delineation of console generations, that doesn't change that it ultimately is the hardware it is.

People take issue with the nomenclature because they don't like the implications that:

1) Wii U is "underpowered"/not a significant leap/not the generational leap traditionally associated with a console transition.
2) Consequently Wii U may not receive the same degree of support that the other consoles may. As the Wii didn't.
3) It's easier to argue semantics rather than addressing these underlying issues.

Whether or not one ascribes to a solely chronological delineation of console generations, that doesn't change that it ultimately is the hardware it is.
#truthbomb
You're bringing handhelds into this! You crazy.
Yup it's a Muddy the Waters/Poison the Well type post.

DjRoomba

Banned

How bout we call the consoles and games by their names and forget the terms next gen or current gen, so I can stop throwing up at the discussion going on in this thread

Binabik15

No, no, PS360 will be "current gen" and PS4720 will be "next gen" after they launch. The gen after it will be current gen, next gen and...super gen?

DjRoomba

Banned
^Man commercials way more competitive back then? I wanna see that dissing going on today. Or just console commercials in general which I guess which you dont really see either (wii u excluded).

StevieP

Banned
Because this thread about a qualitative opinion from a company talking head has fulminated into an argument about the Wii U's "generation" I thought it would be fun to really expand the power equals generations into its fullest manifestation.

Generation - Console

1st - Magnavox Odyssey
2nd - Philips Odyssey
3rd - Atari 2600
4th - ColecoVision
5th - Atari 5200
6th - Atari 7800
7th - Sega Master System
8th - Nintendo Famicon
9th - PC Engine
8th - Sega Mega Drive
10th - Super Famicon (because colours)
11th - SuperGraphx
12th - SNK Neogeo
13th - ??? 3DO
14th - Sony Playstation
15th - Atari Jaguar
16th - Nintendo 64 (because carts rule!)
17th - Sega Saturn
18th - Dreamcast
19th - Playstation 2
20th - Nintendo Gamecube
21st - Microsoft Xbox (because it's so big)
22nd - Wii
23rd - Xbox 360
24th - Playstation 3 (because Ken Kutaragi and price)

Note: I may have missed a console or two but I think it's clear from this list that the Wii U is not 8th generation.

Note 2: I didn't put any effort whatsoever into this list so feel free to correct it, debate it, hate it or ban me :)

Remind me to post this every time someone, as the above posters, argue about chronology vs hardware power.

Remind me to post this every time someone, as the above posters, argue about chronology vs hardware power.

Actually I could see the console makers really liking this list. Because they could always claim to be best-selling system of the generation.

Can you imagine the thread derailments? lol

D.Lo

The problem with 'expected power' of a generation is that it used to follow the basic laws of economics. Good hardware = expensive console. That all changed when Microsoft and Sony decided profit was a secondary concern to living-room media positioning and lost billions, even when charging 599 US dollars.

Now that Sony and Microsoft have retreated into financial wound-licking (so massive losses are longer an option), the new Wii U, even with a fancy expensive controller, is comparable in price to the comparable in power 360 and PS3.

Tobor

We've already resolved the generation thing.

The Wii U is a seventh gen console hiding inside the body of an eighth gen console. It's like Tom Hanks in Big!

Top Bottom