• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Wii U name not responsible for console's problems.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Via Kotaku. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-wii-us-name-not-responsible-for-wi-us-p-1221242513

One of the popular theories about why the Wii U has struggled is that it just might have the wrong name. Millions of people loved the Wii, so maybe they should have called this one the Wii 2? Here's Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime's take:

"The challenges we're facing with Wii U are not issues of the name," Fils-Aime told me during an interview earlier this week, after acknowledging that sales of the Wii U in the U.S. are only at 1.5 million units, about half of what the Wii did in the same amount of time.

"The issue is the lack of a steady rate of software launches to motivate the consumer to drive buzz and engagement and to highlight the wide variety of uses of the GamePad. That's the issue."

There has indeed been a drought of Nintendo games for Wii U in the months since its November launch. The Wii didn't have that many more major games by this point either, but it did have Wii Sports on day one. That game was a cultural phenomenon.

The other theory about the Wii U 's slow start is that people might not know it exists, that they think it's just a peripheral. This very issue cropped up shortly after the Wii U's E3 2012 debut.

As we sit here today again I would say that's not the issue," Fils-Aime said. "The consumer understands that we have a new system. But the consumer is saying: 'What am I going to play? And what am I going to play that's a new and unique and compelling experience vs. what I can do today, whether it's on the Wii or any other system?'

"And that's why experiences like Pikmin 3, like Wonderful 101, like Zelda Wind Waker HD, with the off-TV play, experiences like Super Mario 3D World—that's why it's critical that we launch those, have consumers experience them in malls across the country, which we'll be doing. It's critical that the consumer see for themselves the range and breadth of compelling software for the system."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No, it's more than that Reggie.

Concept17

It is part of the problem. To blame only software is being short-sighted. Many consumers are confused by the name, thinking it is an accessory, and not a brand new console.

Super Wii or Wii 2 would have helped.

Ditching the controller for something else would have helped even more.

gngf123

"The issue is the lack of a steady rate of software launches to motivate the consumer to drive buzz and engagement and to highlight the wide variety of uses of the GamePad. That's the issue."

Well, he is at least partially right. That is absolutely one of the biggest problems.

w00zey

It certainly doesn't help. We won't get into the rest of the problems. I've heard from more than one casual gamer that thought it was an add on.

Ocelott

The price is the problem. The main market for the Wii was children and families. 299 at this point in time especially with hard times they are not going to go buy a Wii U.

LevityNYC

Banned
obligatory

tumblr_mquuulZCfm1s3rmjwo1_500.jpg

Bulzeeb

It is part of the problem. To blame only software is being short-sighted. Many consumers are confused by the name, thinking it is an accessory, and not a brand new console.

Super Wii or Wii 2 would have helped.

Ditching the controller for something else would have helped even more.

wiimote 2 would have been awesome (screw the motion controller haters I loved the damn thing) well I guess the tablet gave us the miiverse art and off tv games so it isn't that bad

There are many problems with the Wii U, but I think consumer confusion (the name, the appearance, the marketing) is the biggest problem.

stuminus3

"The challenges we're facing with Wii U are not issues of the name," Fils-Aime told me during an interview earlier this week, after acknowledging that sales of the Wii U in the U.S. are only at 1.5 million units, about half of what the Wii did in the same amount of time."
Huh. I'm not one to keep up with sales-age but I find this kind of surprising, considering Wii U sales are in bad shape worldwide and the OG Wii was such a phenomenon. I guess this is just because it was so hard to even get a Wii for the first couple of years?

Nugg

People are mixing up the Wii and the Wii U. No doubt about that. I see this every day among non-gamers. This never happened with Xbox, Playstation, or even Nintendo consoles before that.

And they didn't even learn their lesson. I look forward to have to explain the difference between a DS, a 3DS and a 2DS.

Not responsible for ALL its problems. But it has its part. However small, that is undeniable.
Exactly. Not to mention that the console itself looks exactly like the Wii. Keep telling yourself that, Reggie. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just wait till the big hitters come, along with the price cut, and it still sells like shit. Start practicing your new excuses now.

nampad

So is the Nintendo PR trying to put Microsoft to shame on the bullshit-o-meter or what is up?

Surely there is no confusion. If there were any, you would have to put big pointing arrows saying new console in your ads.

But ok, this kinda explains why they even consider going with the 2DS name.

Tuck

The consumer most certainly does not fully grasp that it's a new system. I've met plenty of people who had no idea what a Wii u is, as have other people on GAF.

iMax

It's not the name. It's not the power. It's not the gamepad. It's the first party games. Simple as that. Consequently, the poor management is to blame too.

rhoq

Lack of consumer education led to the confusion over whether the Wii U GamePad was an add-on for the original Wii or part of a new system. That and the lack of decent software are the Wii U's biggest problem. Had the machine been named Wii 2, consumer eduction wouldn't be necessary since that name would have made it pretty clear that this is the Wii's successor.

Now imagine how much more confusing it would be to casual consumers if they DID make the game pad available for purchase separately at launch...

cmgfender

Banned
I just dont see how this thing is gonna compete next gen if it cant even keep pace with the current gen.

Its gonna get crushed.

edit: not even in terms of power, just sales and games and etcetc

Top Bottom