• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy now expanded into two teams; two new games in development; has new partner

OH yeah, amazing. Let's jump out of one shitty exclusivity deal and dive right into another one.

Can't understand why people don't root for a broader reach instead of exclusivity.

I personally root for whatever gets Remedy working on new projects.

If that means an exclusivity deal, fine with me.

CrayToes

Multi platform would be great. PlayStation users have been missing out on some great titles from Remedy this past decade.

scitek

Yeah, I don't want that. I'm not interested in Alan Wake comics or novels or live action or motion comics or whatever bullshit. I don't want to see Remedy moving further away from video games. They can get as crazy as they want within their video games; give me all the Dick Justice, Captain Baseball Bat Boy, Mr Scratch nonsense you can cram in there. But if they just start making entirely non-video-game related stuff I think I'm out. I enjoyed watching short episodes of Night Springs when I found them in Alan Wake, but when Quantum Break wanted me to sit there twiddling my thumbs for 20+ minutes watching TV episodes as part of the main story I found it really hard to take.

Yeah, I watched the first episode of filler in QB, but skipped everything else after that. It didn't grab my attention, and I want to play a game when I'm...playing a game, not watch something.

EGM1966

Multi-platform announcements incoming? QB vanished from the charts and Alan Wake relied heavily on discounts/bundling so I really feel its time these guys (whose games I do like even though I often find that, since the Max Payne heyday, they've failed to produce a bona fide classic from start to finish) need access to a much bigger market than they've limited themselves to for a while.

Unless they radically change the style and approach of their SP games they need to be releasing on PC and all sensible consoles (PS and XB at minimum) platforms IMHO to maximize chances for success.

They could continue as an effective "second party" for MS but I feel it just hasn't worked out well for them and they'd be better with a different publisher on more platforms.

That all said I do think they're going to have to re-think the viability of expensive short play time SP titles that rely on a key mechanic and end up too repetitive as a result. That's a tough, tough market to play in right now IMO.

scitek

Or maybe they just want to do something new.

Their reputation with the PC community - something they always prided themselves on - is in tatters because Microsoft unexpectedly wanted a simultaneous launch on both platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship's changed in recent months. Their PR being so bad wasn't MS's fault, though.

GavinUK86

XrapqLv.png

What a reply.

I was hoping for AW2 :(

Not played QB yet.

Apathy

OH yeah, amazing. Let's jump out of one shitty exclusivity deal and dive right into another one.

Can't understand why people don't root for a broader reach instead of exclusivity.

Independents either fund themselves or have to have these sort of deals in place quickly to keep employees paid and the lights on. If anything remedy is lucky that it can sign deals like this after qb. While it itself is not really responsible for the marketing and how it sells, that's up to the partner, it does share some blame on sales if the game does not play well or had bad writing or things like that that make it not sell. Potential partners want to know they'll make back what they spent on making the project and it becomes harder and harder if you have bomb after bomb.

More Remedy, delivered by whoever, is always something I'm down for.

New partner? Interesting.

I guess Quantum Break really soured Microsoft with them.

Does everything really need to be dramatic when an independent developer works with a different publisher? Did Insomniac making Sunset Overdrive or Occulus Rift games somehow prevent them from continuing to have, at least what appears to be, a good relationship with Sony?

So Microsoft signed Remedy up for Quantum Break before Alan Wake was finished, but haven't signed them up for anything before Quantum Break finished?

Remedy was signed up for Quantum Break after Alan Wake was finished (around the time they were going around pitching Alan Wake 2).

Sucks that MS seems to have dropped Remedy.

Given that this haopened prior to QB launch, seems like both parties knew that QB woukd underperform.

WhiteWolf

Please make a game for PS4. Max Payne is one of my all time favorites and while I wanted to play Quantum Break, I couldn't justify buying an XB1 just for that.

Footos22

Hopefully they are working for rockstar on a max payne game

I can dream

Imagine if rockstar partnered with them for a max Payne 4. Would be amazing . Whatever it is I hope it builds off the quantum break engine , really underrated game imo.

Combine the awesomeness of max Payne 3 controls with the sweet time slowdown of quantum . Would be amazing .

You get it

If no game is going to be Alan Wake, why fucking bother?

"We KNOW fans really want more Alan Wake, and we're making TWO games at once now, but neither one is Alan Wake. Why? Because fuck you, that's why."

That's not how AAA game development works. If you can't find a publisher who wants to fund your expensive game, then there really isn't much that can be done about it.

Imagine if rockstar partnered with them for a max Payne 4. Would be amazing . Whatever it is I hope it builds off the quantum break engine , really underrated game imo.

Combine the awesomeness of max Payne 3 controls with the sweet time slowdown of quantum . Would be amazing .

Below 150k with bundles IIRC.

Oof. I would have expected it to do better than that. Seems like it repeated a lot of the mistakes The Order made, followed by a similar its developer reshuffling after release and putting their eggs in more baskets.

So they're dropping Microsoft? Interesting.

Where do you get that impression? It says they have one new partner, and they're in two teams - which implies to me they're working on something new but also sticking with MS with one of their teams (QB DLC, perhaps).

Slightly angry about the lack of Alan Wake 2. With two big projects in development, even if they decide to make a sequel, there's no way it will be out before 2021 or so :(

Why angry though? They're still beholden to the financing of publishers, and right now it's probably beyond their control to deliver a large-scale Alan Wake sequel.

Zornack

Why does it take Remedy so long to develop a game? Six years between major releases and the best they could do was a 10 hour game with no multiplayer.

Theorry

Why does it take Remedy so long to develop a game? Six years between major releases and the best they could do was a 10 hour game with no multiplayer.

Because its not that big of a studio?
Seems that now they are expanding abit. Also employees arent cheap in Finland.

Had to build a new engine plus had to deal with Microsoft forcing there stupid tv shit down there throats . Plus multiplayer doesn't really fit quantum breaks theme , I'm glad it didn't have multiplayer (though some kind of arena mode would have been awesome ).

Garlador

"We now have two teams and are working on two games."

"Awesome! Surely one of them is Alan Wa..."

"Neither are Alan Wake 2."

"... Dammit."

shandy706

Six years between major releases and they do a 30+ hour game with, thankfully, no multiplayer.

FTFM

I agree, QB was/is great. I still need to 100% it after 30+ hours across X1 and PC.

I'm curious about what they're doing next. Hopefully turn around is quicker.

Had to build a new engine plus had to deal with Microsoft forcing there stupid tv shit down there throats . Plus multiplayer doesn't really fit quantum breaks theme , I'm glad it didn't have multiplayer (though some kind of arena mode would have been awesome ).

How do you know they forced it down their throats ?

Bioshocker

OK, so this pretty much confirms that Remedy saw the need to shake the lines after Alan Wake and Quantum Break, of which neither did well sales wise.

I am of course disappointed that there's no Alan Wake in the making but I'm not the least surprised. Being a Shenmue fan I am more than used to the waiting game. But I think it may be a while before we see a AAA game from Remedy again. Who knows, maybe mobile is their next move.

If no game is going to be Alan Wake, why fucking bother?

"We KNOW fans really want more Alan Wake, and we're making TWO games at once now, but neither one is Alan Wake. Why? Because fuck you, that's why."

Alan Wake sucks my balls.

It was My First Silent Hill with gimmicky shooter mechanics and a wet fart ending.

Bring on the true Max Payne 3 and it's day fucking one, Remedy.

brawly

Half the manpower = twice the development length...so we'll get two games ten years from now or they're much smaller.

esi: read past "expanded". Still doubt they'll churn out games

Top Bottom