• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember FileFront/GameFront?

RagnarokIV

ff2.jpg

Best website ever with a ton of subdomains...

jk2files.filefront
avp2.filefront
Classics and the latest and greatest. Battlefield, SW Battlefront, KOTOR, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - Had it all.

Full forums for every single game they had sites on, P0litics wasn't a big thing, the internet was the perfect balance where it had hit nerd mainstream but casuals weren't quite there yet.

Dunno if I can link or if this post will already get flagged as spam.

On the wine again and I miss that era of the internet so much.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
hl2files kept stealing my content, even posted my interview with valve (or was it ritual) wholesale without linking back. So did planethalflife though so really, all the big guys sucked/suck still with leeching off whatever they could without ever crediting their source. Politics were very much a thing.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

hl2files kept stealing my content, even posted my interview with valve (or was it ritual) wholesale without linking back. So did planethalflife though so really, all the big guys sucked/suck still with leeching off whatever they could without ever crediting their source. Politics were very much a thing.
craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment

Sounds about right lmao

Kuranghi

Yeah I do, I remember gettings some wee mods and other stuff on there, good times.

Btw, I'm also "on the wine", but I'm in Scotland and here we call that Tuesday, cin-cin good sir!

Kuranghi

I'm only on drinking hard seltzer. :(

Thats still alcoholic though, I drink that too when my stomach is giving me gyp and I want a beverage, if you can get hold of it try YNOT alcoholic seltzer, I specifically had the Dark & Stormy flavoured one and it was very nice. Its actually "brewed" unlike most hard seltzers, as opposed to just mixing "spirit" with a flavouring and carbonating it.

I wish so many great MP games weren't so directly tied to Gamespy. Unless a programmer gets a hair up their ass, so many cool MP games that will never be played again.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I remember!

Also, was looking for a trainer for some game a few weeks back and somehow landed on gamecopyworld. That thing is still online and looks just the same. Took me back to the happy days!

Makes me a feel a little fuzzy inside, seeing that a website like that has managed to maintain its identity and aesthetic after all this time.

As a somewhat related example, I was absolutely delighted the other week to find that khinsider was still up and running and getting regularly updated. I remember frequenting the place damn near twenty years ago to download video game music for my newfangled iPod, and it still looks exactly as I remember it.

https://downloads.khinsider.com/

mitch1971

I remember!

Also, was looking for a trainer for some game a few weeks back and somehow landed on gamecopyworld. That thing is still online and looks just the same. Took me back to the happy days!

That is nuts! That site won me a graphics card about 20 years ago. I use to play UT2003 from disc and one day the disc stopped working (scratches?) so I didn't know what to do. By chance I searched for help and that site came up. It saved me having to buy a new copy of UT for sure, and it made me question the use of the cracked .exe. I ended up sending my first letter I've ever written to a magazine, PCgamer in the UK, concerning my experience with using a cracked .exe and how much more convenient the use of it was compared with the system the games makers chose to use - which only allowed one out of the 3 discs to be used to run the game. Few weeks later I get an email saying you are this months star letter and here is a new gforce graphics card.

Result!!

excited fist pump GIF

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Makes me a feel a little fuzzy inside, seeing that a website like that has managed to maintain its identity and aesthetic after all this time.

As a somewhat related example, I was absolutely delighted the other week to find that khinsider was still up and running and getting regularly updated. I remember frequenting the place damn near twenty years ago to download video game music for my newfangled iPod, and it still looks exactly as I remember it.

https://downloads.khinsider.com/

Oh brother! I remember downloading Beyond good and evil OST from this site! I remember booting the game, loving the music that comes in the first scene (flute music) and searching if I could download it from somewhere and this site popped up. It became my go to site for video game music.

Thank you for the walk to memory lane!

FilePlanet was my jam. I even have an uploaded map for Unreal Tournament 2003/4 from back then. It's a 1:1 conversion of Quake III's Q3DM17, one of my favorite frag maps of all time: https://www.fileplanet.com/archive/p-68991/Unreal-Tournament-2003-DM-Q3DM17

The sites layout changed a lot in recent years but I'm super happy to see it's still online. If anyone still plays UT2K3/4, and is a fan of Q3, feel free to give the map a try. It's pretty fun. I made that when I was like 15 or 16 years old lol good times.

Top Bottom