• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

thumb

Banned
I've invited the game's creative director to participate in the thread. Is it possible for game devs to have a fast track to an account? I know it can take a while at times.

Edit - To be more accurate, he is the studio's creative director and the game director on Remember Me.

I've invited the game's creative director to participate in the thread. Is it possible for game devs to have a fast track to an account? I know it can take a while at times.

Try and PM one of the mods to fast track his/her account. It'd be nice to have one of the minds behind the game post in these parts.

Finished the game. What a lovely game.

The story, the gameplay, everything was good in the game

Boss fights were cool too. Apart from the little bit bad controls.

Screw the reviewers who gave it a bad rating! 8.5/10 for me

Friday can't come soon enough for me. I've just put the preload files onto a USB stick to take home so i don't have to download it on Friday night :)

Grisby

Remember Me has been heavily supported by the videogames press here in France.

DontNod is indeed a french new developper team (created in 2008) working in Paris. They are composed by several talented people coming from various other vg teams.
The head of the company is composed by Jean-Maxime Morris (coming from UBI Soft Montpellier -Rayman team-), the art director Aleksi Briclot (who has worked on various comics such as Hulk, Spawn or the Avengers) and the writer Alain Damasio (who has written a really great novel called "La horde du contrevent" aka "Windwalkers").
Well, I just got to episode 5 (6?) and they've done a hell of a job for their first studio game. I'm gonna be buying the art book and OST on this sucker.

legbone

went ahead and picked this up on my lunch hour. can't wait to dig into it tonight. felt like i should reward a new developer for trying something different (female protagonist, non-shooter, attempt and a good cyberpunkish noir tale). not to mention the snippets i have heard from the soundtrack is amazing. art style really grabs me too. the fact that you can customize your combos is really cool. i will report back later once i have played some. hope i'm not disappointed because my hype level is at medium high at the moment.

Muffdraul

Last night I played through Episode 0 and Episode 1. So far I really, really like it. I wasn't aware it was developed in France until yesterday, but now it seems to obvious. So reminiscent of stuff I remember from Heavy Metal magazine. Something radically different and bad would have to happen between now and when I finish the game for me to understand the ratings it's received.

Cool. I've PM'd a mod to keep an eye out. His name is Jean-Maxime Moris (@DONTNOD_jmax on twitter).

Dear mr. Moris,

The game your studio has delivered is a great debut, and shows the technical and artistic capabilities of your studio well. I sincerely hope this title will get the sales recognition it deserves. I play on PC for now but I plan to double dip on the PS3 version as well because I want to support this game. In my opinion this studio can achieve great things in the future if they are able to learn from their experiences and are able to make new titles.

Basically, I don't want this to become just a sleeper darling like your French colleagues in Montpellier got with Beyond Good & Evil and never really got the chance to develop something new out of that first title.

I wish your team the best and hope for a bright future. I'll try and do my part as a consumer to help in the best way I can.

Regards,

Steve

---

Sounds like an ass-kissy kind of reply but I really feel this way, and I don't do this often.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I can't find any demo on PSN or PC. Is there any at all?

anddo0

I personally think this is one of the most visually stunning games to come out this year. Sure it might not stack up to a God of War, but I think it easily looks better than Gears of War Judgment. The lighting and attention to detail are outrageous. I'm sure technically it might be lacking in some areas, but so far it's been a feast for the eyes. I wish there was more interaction with the environments, and the combat more fluid, but there's much to build on here. I supported it at full price; hope it does well enough for a sequel at least.

Wow, and this is the PS3 version too. I might have to give it a look after all.

I think I am now in Episode 7, and I forced myself to stop playing because I have a feeling I am near the end. I just don't want to finish it all at once so am taking a break from playing.

The amazement at the visuals has continued even to this near endgame point. Every new area I go to just has so much attention to detail, compared to most games where it always feels like the last parts of the game feel rushed or bland and uninteresting. This is maintaining the spectacle all the way through.

If I am right and I am near the end, then I still think all the low review scores are balls. They really didn't know how to enjoy the game and any complaints about combat and lack of exploration that are used to justify the scores are BS in my opinion. There was nothing through my playhrough so far that would make me give it such a low score, if giving scores was something I did.

Get this game, preferably on sale if you're not a rich bastard, but get it. Not used, because Dontnod deserves our support. I know E3 is coming and there are other games out and releasing soon to distract us, but don't let this just float by the wayside.

Hachimaki

Caved and bought it for PC on GMG since there was a deal. Impressions are all over the place for this game, but for the most part I'm excited to dive in.

Some places I've read people beat the game in around 5 hours. Is that true? For a single player affair I figured the game would be maybe 9-12 hours long. Though I guess in this case less is more.

Man, I really wish I wasn't packing and cleaning out my apartment today. I have this pre-loaded on Steam and I just want to play it.

How do you input the DLC code on Steam for the pre-order stuff?

freshair

Just started playing it last night and I'm digging it so far. Visual design and music, as stated by numerous folks in this thread, are spectacular.

Combat is so-so, but I'm getting used to it. The reviewers were right then they said the mechanic relies on stringing together combos, yet you're forced to dodge pretty frequently, thereby rarely giving you a chance to finish your combos unless you lure them 1 by 1.

Fruitster

Going to give this a whirl once it's released on Friday I think. Kind of on the fence about it, but the game sounds interesting enough to take a chance on.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just started playing it last night and I'm digging it so far. Visual design and music, as stated by numerous folks in this thread, are spectacular.

Combat is so-so, but I'm getting used to it. The reviewers were right then they said the mechanic relies on stringing together combos, yet you're forced to dodge pretty frequently, thereby rarely giving you a chance to finish your combos unless you lure them 1 by 1.

Well, actually, if you're wailing on an enemy and hit your platform's evade button (x on PS3), you'll tumble over your foe's shoulders to a hopefully safer position without breaking your combo.

Pretty sure the game instructed me to just press the button, but I think I had the left analog stick tilted towards the enemy when I pressed the button. Either way, I can confirm that landing two hits of the first pressen combo, vaulting over the head of that poor Leaper, and finishing the third pressen hit of the combo, worked just fine for me last night!

GlamFM

Banned
I'll just ask again...

Do you guys think playing this on easy could be a good idea since the combat seems to be not so great?

Ferrio

Banned
Seems most of the work went into the games environments and scenery. It's beautiful but I feel like it's a lot of wasted potential.

JohngPR

Well, actually, if you're wailing on an enemy and hit your platform's evade button (x on PS3), you'll tumble over your foe's shoulders to a hopefully safer position without breaking your combo.

Pretty sure the game instructed me to just press the button, but I think I had the left analog stick tilted towards the enemy when I pressed the button. Either way, I can confirm that landing two hits of the first pressen combo, vaulting over the head of that poor Leaper, and finishing the third pressen hit of the combo, worked just fine for me last night!

Worked for me as well. If you press the dodge button without any direction she'll vault over the guy and is able to continue the combo from where she left off with no penalty.

I don't think the game specifically voiced this...it simply said to press the L stick and the doge button to dodge.

Xevren

Really like what I have played of it, won't be able to put more time into it until Friday. Music in this game is wonderful to me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Worked for me as well. If you press the dodge button without any direction she'll vault over the guy and is able to continue the combo from where she left off with no penalty.

I don't think the game specifically voiced this...it simply said to press the L stick and the doge button to dodge.

The game does advise you of this... as part of tutorial during perhaps the last or second to last fight in Episode 1. I actually figured it out by accident in that same fight, seconds before the mechanic was introduced.

Up until that point, I too was getting annoyed at having to constantly break my combos just to dodge. Decent timing on introducing it, then. :)

TentPole

Half way through and the combat is definitely a little loose and sloppy, but I am really enjoying the game despite that. Kinda surprised that I am actually as I value great game mechanics far more than story, art, and atmosphere.

CamHostage

Wow, and this is the PS3 version too. I might have to give it a look after all.

I should hope the PS3 version was stellar, since the team spent a good portion of the production working on it as a PS3 exclusive to be published by Sony as a SCEE project. (Not sure if we'll ever hear the reasons why it was dropped but SCEE was not in a good place by the time this game started to be ready for showcasing.) Hopefully no bad blood was brewed since I want good things for Sony Europe again and I think DONTNOD could be a good partner (especially for a smaller production, like a PSN release) again if things don't continue with Capcom.

Then again, wasn't Assassin's Creed PS3-exclusive for a hot minute?

Fuck the reviews - I´m buying this game.

Can´t resist.

Could it be a good idea to play it on easy?
I'll just ask again...

Do you guys think playing this on easy could be a good idea since the combat seems to be not so great?
I'm playing it on the highest difficulty available. It's not so bad.

Seems most of the work went into the games environments and scenery. It's beautiful but I feel like it's a lot of wasted potential.

It would be nice if there was some more gameplay beyond running around and fighting. I think this game could have done well with some stealth gameplay of some sort.

Through chapter 5 so far. I kiiiiinda hate this video game. The combat is decisively NOT good, the "platforming" is even more linear and boring than even the worst stretches of Uncharted(you can't even turn off the constant hand-holding arrow that points you exactly where you need to be like a small child), I don't care for a single character in this entire story, and some of the dialog and names are just so damn terrible("Remember you soon!" is so forced). Errorists? Fucking really? Black bar guy's banter is equally terrible. The non-platforming/boring immutable strings of combat is occasionally broken up by the world's most rudimentary stealth sections or "puzzles" where you just follow the only path, hit a switch, and go about your way. The game is so linear and confined, it's like walking down the world's prettiest hallways. Just a waste of great art.

I'm at chapter 5, and I'm asking myself why I'm playing it. The memory remixes are the single interesting element in a game, and it's mostly trial-and-error for the pre-determined elements the game allows you to mess with.

5/10 game at this point

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'll just ask again...

I would suggest playing it on hard. To me the combat gets better the harder it is because it makes it so you actually have to utilize all the tools available to you. If you were playing on easy you probably would hardly have to mess with the combo lab and power ups and you'd just be really bored.

stktt

Banned
Through chapter 5 so far. I kiiiiinda hate this video game. The combat is decisively NOT good, the "platforming" is even more linear and boring than even the worst stretches of Uncharted(you can't even turn off the constant hand-holding arrow that points you exactly where you need to be like a small child), I don't care for a single character in this entire story, and some of the dialog and names are just so damn terrible("Remember you soon!" is so forced). Errorists? Fucking really? Black bar guy's banter is equally terrible. The non-platforming/boring immutable strings of combat is occasionally broken up by the world's most rudimentary stealth sections or "puzzles" where you just follow the only path, hit a switch, and go about your way. The game is so linear and confined, it's like walking down the world's prettiest hallways. Just a waste of great art.

I'm at chapter 5, and I'm asking myself why I'm playing it. The memory remixes are the single interesting element in a game, and it's mostly trial-and-error for the pre-determined elements the game allows you to mess with.

5/10 game at this point

If you aren't interested in the setting or premise, the game's appeal drops precipitously.

JohngPR

The game does advise you of this... as part of tutorial during perhaps the last or second to last fight in Episode 1. I actually figured it out by accident in that same fight, seconds before the mechanic was introduced.

Up until that point, I too was getting annoyed at having to constantly break my combos just to dodge. Decent timing on introducing it, then. :)

Ah, I must have missed it. The only prompt I saw was to dive out of that one guy's way. Hopefully not too many people missed that tid bit since it makes combat go a lot smoother.

bryanee

I think I just finished chapter four, maybe three. Anyway I'm still loving it. The combat becomes a lot more fun when you have longer combos and the L-Trigger powers to use.

george_us

I'm trying to figure out how this game is a 5 in a world where Assassin's Creed III scored 8s and 9s left and right. So far it's been about as good as every other hyped up AAA game.

I'm trying to figure out how this game is a 5 in a world where Assassin's Creed III scored 8s and 9s left and right. So far it's been about as good as every other hyped up AAA game.

Not enough AAA appeal and manufactured hype, plus the lack of ad dollars is a quite the motivator for them to give it poor reviews lol.

george_us

Just finished the first boss battle.

This game is pretty dope.

Edit: Fuck I actually lost track of time playing this. I can't remember (heh) the last time that's happened.

Grisby

Gah, my mind is messing me up when it dodging and combing. Still haven't gotten the hang of it quite yet even though the sequences are easy.
So when I did my review I brought up the Longest Journey vibes. Did anyone else get those?
Very much so. I expected to see some graffiti of April or something.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm on episode 7 now. The farther I get the more I like this game. They do a good job of keeping things fresh and adding things to hold your interest, whether it's a new ability, a new enemy type, or just a beautiful looking level to explore.

Ferrio

Banned
I can sum up this game:

Final Fantasy XIII if it was a beat-em up. Corridors corridors, handholding handholding, cut scene cut scene.

Top Bottom