• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

Got the game last week; I just finished the second memory remix sequence. Time for impressions:

Like others have said this game just feels like it incorporates elements from so many other games:
Mirror's Edge - the abstract memory sequences look a lot like the time trials DLC in ME. Also the dystopian future kinda stuff I guess
Zelda - some of the puzzles
Ghost Trick - memory remixes
Metroid/Megaman - the opening of the game starts off with you losing your powers, which you slowly reacquire as you defeat bosses. These powers are then used to bypass environmental barriers
Demon's Souls - got major DeS vibes while I was roaming through the subway area

And while I haven't played these games apparently the platforming is like Uncharted and the combat riffs off the Batman: Arkham series? That RM calls to mind so many of these games isn't a bad thing, but it does make me wish that Remember Me Too ditches the linear setpieces for a DeS/Metroid Prime guided open world type of game.

Speaking of setpieces, they are just so great. When I'm not getting run down by robots during a forced chase sequence I like to just walk around and take in the scenery (also because the awful field of vision makes it super easy for me to miss points of interest). Love love love the worldbuilding they did for this game.

Not really sure how much more depth they'll add to the gameplay at the point I'm at, but the wrenches they threw into Madam's (Remembranes that fuck with you/are traps) make me hopeful. The fight against her was awesome, too - the fight revolves around you setting up lots of big Focus pressens to lower the cooldown on the DOS S-Pressen. Also the music that plays when you get into her QTE with the arpeggios is pretty awesome and I've been listening to that part of the soundtrack a lot.

I bought the soundtrack a few months ago and thought it was a bit weird how few tracks it had, but now that I've played the game I appreciate what Olivier Deriviere did with it a lot. This is how videogame soundtracks should be done; instead of just a list of stuff that plays at certain points in the game that loops once then fades out, the composer should have the opportunity to mix the themes and motifs and create something that stands as a work on its own.

Anyways, it's a real shame what the legacy of this game is going to end up being, but I hope Dontnod gets the opportunity to do a spiritual sequel or hell just another game with a similar/expanded scope down the line.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Also the music that plays when you get into her QTE with the arpeggios is pretty awesome and I've been listening to that part of the soundtrack a lot.

I bought the soundtrack a few months ago and thought it was a bit weird how few tracks it had, but now that I've played the game I appreciate what Olivier Deriviere did with it a lot. This is how videogame soundtracks should be done; instead of just a list of stuff that plays at certain points in the game that loops once then fades out, the composer should have the opportunity to mix the themes and motifs and create something that stands as a work on its own.

This is probably the best OST I've heard this year, I love it. The Philip Glass touch in the piece you posted is great, but my favorite track is Rise to the Light. The end reminds me of Badalamenti's Mulholland Drive score

Just finished Chapter 6. What the fuck was that bullshit. I was at least hoping for another memory battle against Quaid, then things just went waaaay downhill from there.

Also, has anybody on PS3 had stuttering leading to major audio echo during cutscenes? Something similar has happened to me during EXVS and I'm hoping it's not my PS3 acting up.

wouwie

After playing a good chunk of the game on easy, i restarted from the beginning on normal. I'm currently in episode 7 but i don't think i'll continue to the end. The last episodes seem all about combat with huge amounts of enemies and i don't find it particulary fun. Also, the setting is far less interesting in the later episodes.

However, i had a lot of fun with this game. It's one of these rare games that manages to entertain me while not being very fun to play (similar to Enslaved). For me, the presentation and setting were the strongest aspects of this game.

Some thoughts:
+ wonderful presentation (slick menus,...)
+ gorgeous looking game (i imagine it must look amazing on pc)
+ very cool neo Paris setting (i love this kind of futuristic city settings)
+ fantastic soundtrack (will buy)
+ great sound effects (recommended with headphones for the little details)
+ interesting mix of different gameplay styles
+ ok voice acting
+ interesting story and ideas (memory remixes,...)

- boring combat
- the combo's were very difficult to pull off (apparently, you need very strict timing or something?) and animation got in the way
- AI was not impressive. The difficullty in combat seemed to come from throwing more and more enemies at the player instead of smarter enemies
- handholding and non-challenging traversal gameplay
- none of the gameplay mechanics were particulary interesting or fun
- unique world but very little to explore and discover (very linear experience)
- bugs (had to replay some sequences for events to trigger)
- cringe worthy dialogue at times (especially in the later episodes)

In conclusion, i'm really happy that i had the opportunity to check this game out with PS+. I put in a lot of hours and i had fun with it. Although in this case, that had much more to do with the presentation and the setting than the game itself.

I really hope Dontnod gets the opportunity to make another game. For a first game, Remember me did a lot of things right and i can't wait to find out more about their next project.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
After playing a good chunk of the game on easy, i restarted from the beginning on normal. I'm currently in episode 7 but i don't think i'll continue to the end. The last episodes seem all about combat with huge amounts of enemies and i don't find it particulary fun. Also, the setting is far less interesting in the later episodes.

However, i had a lot of fun with this game. It's one of these rare games that manages to entertain me while not being very fun to play (similar to Enslaved). For me, the presentation and setting were the strongest aspects of this game.

Some thoughts:
+ wonderful presentation (slick menus,...)
+ gorgeous looking game (i imagine it must look amazing on pc)
+ very cool neo Paris setting (i love this kind of futuristic city settings)
+ fantastic soundtrack (will buy)
+ great sound effects (recommended with headphones for the little details)
+ interesting mix of different gameplay styles
+ ok voice acting
+ interesting story and ideas (memory remixes,...)

- boring combat
- the combo's were very difficult to pull off (apparently, you need very strict timing or something?) and animation got in the way
- AI was not impressive. The difficullty in combat seemed to come from throwing more and more enemies at the player instead of smarter enemies
- handholding and non-challenging traversal gameplay
- none of the gameplay mechanics were particulary interesting or fun
- unique world but very little to explore and discover (very linear experience)
- bugs (had to replay some sequences for events to trigger)
- cringe worthy dialogue at times (especially in the later episodes)

In conclusion, i'm really happy that i had the opportunity to check this game out with PS+. I put in a lot of hours and i had fun with it. Although in this case, that had much more to do with the presentation and the setting than the game itself.

I really hope Dontnod gets the opportunity to make another game. For a first game, Remember me did a lot of things right and i can't wait to find out more about their next project.

I've started playing this now and I'm up to Chapter 5, but this is pretty much my evaluation of the game so far. The combat is especially bad, I'm sure this pressen stuff was a nice idea of paper somewhere but I find it to be rather boring in general when, like many games these days that have some quite good presentation I keep getting annoyed at every little fight I come across instead of just getting on with the game.

A part I just played was annoying, the camera is just awful when your trying to fight a number of enemies in an enclosed space, it doesn't know where it wants to go which leads to odd angles and not being able to see what is going on.

Roubjon

If this game told it's story through adventure game type gameplay instead of a generic batman copy beat-em-up, then I would have enjoyed it way more. The beauty of adventure games is that they don't have to sacrifice the story by giving some explanation why you are beating the crap out of millions of thugs. They don't even have to touch any of that type of non-nonsensical videogame logic, which is why good ones feel like a breath of fresh air in the world of games.

It probably would have sold as much too, or maybe even more. But that's a massive what if, because I doubt Capcom would have gave them any money if they decided to do that.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well I just finished it on Memory Hunter, it was an interesting experience and I kept feeling like there was potential there that just got chucked out the window when they did something that is typical bad game design or didn't focus enough on platforming and general adventuring and less on battling.

[Ending Spoilers]
I really quite hate endings like that, here, battle some hordes of enemies while trying to do something, and with this slightly iffy fighting system with some annoying enemies. I don't beat around the bush with my combo skills, I'm not very good at fighting games, but this was just frustrating on another level, I would get close to doing something I was supposed to throughout the game to then get killed, lose all my focus, and have to spend the next few minutes just building that back up so I could then do this other thing to kill enemies.

I wasn't really sure where they were going with Edge at first either, it seems like whoever he was at first was supposed to be either a big bad guy or something more related to the story, say a splintered part of your fathers personality trying to save his family. And in all honesty at one point I thought they were going to tell me that the Jax you had as a child had evolved into Edge or soemthing, lol.

In general going in I expected far more memory remixing than what we got, and more of an open way to complete a memory not some set things you had to do, I'm sure it would have been more complicated to do on the developers end but it wasn't quite as awesome as I had hoped in the end

If this game told it's story through adventure game type gameplay instead of a generic batman copy beat-em-up, then I would have enjoyed it way more. The beauty of adventure games is that they don't have to sacrifice the story by giving some explanation why you are beating the crap out of millions of thugs. They don't even have to touch any of that type of non-nonsensical videogame logic, which is why good ones feel like a breath of fresh air in the world of games.

It probably would have sold as much too, or maybe even more. But that's a massive what if, because I doubt Capcom would have gave them any money if they decided to do that.

I feel like would have enjoyed it more if the fighting system was more like batman and not some offshoot that wasn't quite the same. This pressen stuff that is oddly timed and sometimes works perfectly and other times doesn't, along with an odd dodge move that sometimes doesn't work because enemies will still smack you was annoying. But yea, the combat in this was a real let down, it isn't that it has any real depth either, it just is a bit janky combined with the ai and bad camera, and all together made it a worse experience than it had to be.

I think it they had gone for some sort of mix of Deus Ex meets Mirrors Edge it would have been better, less focus on combat or at least let us avoid it if I wanted to, more emphasis on the remixing memories and exploration. They built this Neo-Paris and then never really let you see any of it, later in the game there was some great views of this futuristic city out there, but again, you don't really see much of it besides some hallways or the side of a building you would see right outside your window.

Lots of potential, but it was all ultimately squandered.

KiDdYoNe

So, a little bump here.

Just finished the game and loved it.

The picture is just beautiful. Story is good, hooked me up just like Bioshock Infinite. I mean, i don't really like stories in videogames, but sometimes it happens, yeah. The opening made me feel the character and i really started to empathize to hero. And then they made the same with another one. And this kind of shit happens once in a few years. Damn, i never felt this way playing The Last of Us.

Yeah, technical part sometimes is bad. Combat is fun, but felt like something was missing (if u go Batman, go Batman for the end), and handling in the fight wasn't that good. Even platforming pissed me off a few times, when it's obvious u need to go up, and then you dying. Checkpoints sucked too.

That being said, the game is great. Again, the whole picture is awesome. Level of detalisation is Uncharted-like. Music..... oh, the music is on my phone now, and i'm not a fan of OST's. The whole game reminded me of a Mirror's Edge, i think because of it's style. It's always good to see the game with colors these days. Shame that sales were bad. Got it from my friends PS+ account, but definetily buying it on Steam and on PS3 to have at my shelf.

So, when it's winter and nothing to play and Steam Sale is saying 50% off - go get it. You won't regret.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Does anyone know the song that plays in Episode 7, specifically at this moment?

I listened to the soundtrack on YouTube and it doesn't appear to be on it. It's got a Mirror's Edge vibe and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

sono

I am stuck on this game (PS3) normal. I probably suck.

frustrated of UK writes:

Can you help. spoiler question follows..

the bit on the moving train where you have to beat so many in a certain time. I cant defeat them in the time limit and then the big guy enters the carriage and kills me

the bit on the moving train where you have to beat so many in a certain time. I cant defeat them in the time limit and then the big guy enters the carriage and kills me

IIRC, you can smash the doors or something connected to the doors to keep the boss out for a while. I always rushed to the doors first and then dealt with the enemies. Use the dodge move whenever someone is about to stop your combo, then continue the combo immediately after dodging.

I just bought this game on PC. I noticed a bug where the game stutters and lags if a controller was plugged in. It plays silky smooth with the mouse\keyboard though. It is such a beautiful game to look at due to Physically Based Rendering (same technique used in Ryse) . There is an article on it here: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/game-environments-parta-remember-me-rendering/

I like the story, but I wish it wasn't so linear. Neo Paris looks so lovely.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I just bought this game on PC. I noticed a bug where the game stutters and lags if a controller was plugged in. It plays silky smooth with the mouse\keyboard though. It is such a beautiful game to look at due to Physically Based Rendering (same technique used in Ryse) . There is an article on it here: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/game-environments-parta-remember-me-rendering/

I like the story, but I wish it wasn't so linear. Neo Paris looks so lovely.

Hm I played through the whole thing on a 360 pad and had no issues

Crayons

Banned
So I just beat this game.

I really couldn't stand the combat system. But the environment is nicely design, good soundtrack, decent story. But I still feel like something was missing.

It looked like a great world to explore but you couldn't. You never got any downtime, it was so linear.

stktt

Banned
You definitely get the feeling that there was originally supposed to be more to the environments. Some fully modeled areas are blocked off with piles of rubble, and every store in the game is closed. More interactivity would have been nice, but I still found the levels beautiful to explore.

Top Bottom