• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

derFeef

It looks great but no matter what I do I can't get rid of the stuttering, I know it's a UE3 quirk but I never had it this bad. Maybe it's better on Nvidia hardware.

You mean the loading hiccups or framerate stuttering? I am having the loading hiccups just like in any UE3 game including Infinite, but framerate is completely smooth for me (2x7970).

ymmv

Banned
How is the PC version? Does it look better than the PS3?

It looks gorgeous on the PC. There are a few pre-rendered cut scenes that were made with the PS360 in mind and they stick out like a sore thumb. I'm playing it on a Nvidia GTX 680 (SLI), no stuttering whatsoever.

You mean the loading hiccups or framerate stuttering? I am having the loading hiccups just like in any UE3 game including Infinite, but framerate is completely smooth for me (2x7970).

Loading hiccups. In Infinite for example they were barely noticeable for me, that game was sponsored by amd though so maybe that's the problem.
Game also feels too demanding for what is being rendered.

Tizoc

Just got the game and started on Hard difficulty, any tips to make my playthrough less tedious or easier? What skills should I learn or upgrade, etc.?

Just got the game and started on Hard difficulty, any tips to make my playthrough less tedious or easier? What skills should I learn or upgrade, etc.?

You don't upgrade anything except health and focus by finding items that are hidden throughout the game.
The only costumization done by the player are the combos. You can choose which type of pressen you want to unlock (pressens are moves), some do more damage, some recharge focus, others give health. You'll want a good balance of all.
The game is at it's best when it forces you to costumize combos in a specific fashion to overcome the enemie's strenghts. You also have 5 powers that you unlock as you progress in the story that are useful for specific situations.
Fights that require you to correctly combine and use the things mentioned above are where you'll see the depth of the combat system, which isn't huge, mind you.

So yeah, don't expect to inject XP or loot into abilities to upgrade them or stuff like that. Hell, in the first half of the game you get by by just punching everything with whatever moves you have equipped lol.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

What I did was make the easiest/shortest combo simply for grinding health and whenever I got into a tight spot and was low on health I would spam that.

Dreamer RD

Fail of the year without doubt. I tried to force myself to clear the game in june but stopped in 3 or 4 chapter. Absolutely boring shit with awful level design and terrible controls/battle system.

Fail of the year without doubt. I tried to force myself to clear the game in june but stopped in 3 or 4 chapter. Absolutely boring shit with awful level design and terrible controls/battle system.

The game was fun to me to be honest. Not that awesome but not boring at all

By like Chapter 3 or something you'll have a six hit combo that's the same 3 presses twice in a row. You can just stick some heals and cooldowns in there, and you'll get a mod that I think doubles the value on the press preceding it if you wanna boost any of those. You can basically just roll with that from there.

Second half is mostly inside buildings which is disappointing.

Anyway, finished it but was pretty ready for it to be over, worth it at bomba price but it's a 6/10 game, just above average. Nice visuals and artstyle, the pressen system is kinda unique I guess, memory remix scenes didn't live up to the hype.
Nilin is likeable but the rest of the cast is bad, VA is also pretty sub-par, especially coming from BInfinite and TLOU.

Peterthumpa

This game is amazing so far. For those who like Blade Runner like / Sci-Fi inspired themes there's a lot here to like. The story is not that great but the journal details so many things that it develops a really nice background for the main history.

Besides that, the game is stunning. It may not be as interactive as some wanted, and a little bit linear, but boy, it's pretty. I'm playing on my PS3 and the game easily rivals some of the best graphics on the console. UE3 is really a flexible engine.

I'm loving the game, a surprise for me since I was basically unaware that this existed until 3 weeks ago.

Doodis

Finished this game a couple days ago. Definitely worth the rental. The combat sections kept mixing it up enough to keep it interesting, and the game definitely has style going for it. Not a AAA title, but a good mid-tier game that's worth experiencing.

Rafterman

Banned
How is the PC version? Does it look better than the PS3?

The game is absolutely stunning on the PC. I've also noticed no slowdown or stuttering, but I have SLI'd 680s, so I shouldn't.

I Couldn't disagree more. The controls are tight, the battle system works well, and the level design, while linear, is more interesting than most games...I wasn't bored at all. I'd say it's one of the better games released this year.

Does vsync not work with this game? I turn it on and I still see terrible screen tearing, or is that just a effect in game? It usually only happens in cinematic type scenes.

Dunkelgrau

I am in chapter 6 now and the game is pretty much okay. Combo-System is fun.

How does this one compare to DMC in points like level-design and combo-system?
I hated the combo-system of Bayonetta for example. And is the level design of DMC so linear like that one in Remember me? Because I was very disappointed from the level-design of Enslaved. And the developers of that one make DMC.

M3z_

Played through this game on PC everything fully maxed @ 1440p, and damn does the game look nice. It's mainly benefiting from its art, but still absolutely beautiful. Game was enjoyable for the experience to see all the environments alone.

I really liked the pressen system just wish they executed it differently. It would of been cool to be able to make your own button combinations rather than be stuck to the 4 they give you. Maybe a rpg esque experience system that would unlock pressen slots that you could either add to a current combo or start a new one with. That way you are in control of what your combos are and how long they are. Also for a game that is ripping off the Batman combat system they could of made the combo continuation after a dodge a little better, or given you a crow management button like in Batman you have the cape stun that is AoE and also you to control a crowd a bit better. I know a lot of people got frustrated with the combat because they felt that they couldn't get combos out when they are lots of people. I didn't experience that, but it did require a less fun strategy to ensure that I could get off my combos.

The rewind memory minigame thing was really neat too, but not executed in a way that made it as cool as it could of been. For one I hate that scrubbing through the memory actually requires you to spin the stick, that's annoying just give me a button to hold. Also I think the whole remixing a persons memory is a cool concept but because it is a linear game the concept gets limited in a way that doesn't take advantage of it's coolness. Would of been awesome to be able to dick around with peoples memories and have multiple possible outcomes/reactions that were permanent and you only got one chance to go through them. That sort of thing wouldn't of worked in the structure of this game, but I think it would be an awesome idea in general.

I definitely enjoyed the game, but sort of failed to maximize it's potential. It doesn't really do enough new things to justify it's lack of different types gameplay, or the less than perfect design of its combat.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
$30 on Steam today. I though it was going to be cheaper. :( I know it's probably going to be 10 bucks next steam sale but I want it nao. Is it worth 30 bucks?

codhand

$30 on Steam today. I though it was going to be cheaper. :( I know it's probably going to be 10 bucks next steam sale but I want it nao. Is it worth 30 bucks?

Yes.

On chapter six. playing on PC, really like this game. worst part is probably the dialog. well worth the $26 i spent, i hope more people give it a try, it is extremely well polished and very enjoyable.

XOMTOR

I Couldn't disagree more. The controls are tight, the battle system works well, and the level design, while linear, is more interesting than most games...I wasn't bored at all. I'd say it's one of the better games released this year.

I'd agree with you about the levels being interesting; they really are beautiful but the combat system has been panned by many reviewers and players for good reason.

Nilin's animations seem to take priority over her actions so if you execute a kick, you need to wait until that animation finishes before executing a punch; pressing the punch button before the kick animation completes gets you nothing. As a result, it plays quite sluggish. When executing a combo, you pretty much need to watch the combo meter at the bottom of the screen (as opposed to the action) and the timing is almost: kick...one Mississippi...punch...two Mississippi...kick etc. etc. which can result in quite a bit of frustration when trying to chain "pressens" into a combo. Enemies in the game are much faster than Nilin so every combat encounter sees you spending 75% of the time dodging which of course breaks your combo unless you do so without losing focus on your target. Which brings me to my next issue with this game: the camera. It's spastic to put it mildly and the auto-targeting is just awful to a degree I've rarely encountered before. As a result, trying to use the Spammer/Junk Bolt during combat is almost rage inducing.

Basically, the combat system feels as if the developers tried to do something similar to the Batman Arkham games but failed miserably; the combat neither flows nor is fluid. It can be occasionally satisfying if everything happens to work out but that occurs mostly due to luck as opposed to player skill. One cannot even mention this game in the same sentence as the older DMC titles or any of Platinum's games.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just beat the game finally.

It has the best of intentions, man... I like the idea behind the combat. It's something different. I thought the memory remix stuff was REALLY fucking cool. The art and music is fucking badass. And I really liked Nillin as a character. The introspective moments between episodes were really cool and interesting.

But man, the "platforming", the heavily linear level design, MOST of the dialogue, and just the general clunkiness were all such a huge bummer. I wish they did more memory remix stuff. The game never comes up with a good puzzle for you to use your powers with, and the jumping around/climbing stuff could've been cool, but it just wasn't.

And man.. the game bugged out on me a handful of times, but at the worst times. Like I beat this really rough fight near the end of Episode 7, and then it didn't trigger the cutscene after the last baddie was beaten, so I had to redo it all fucking over.

I think at the end, I came away alot more positive on it than say when I was halfway through. The turning point was definitely the third remix. At the end of the day, the game means super well, and I was glad I played it. It's something new and different. But man, it could've been so much better.

Nillin deserved a better game.

At the end of the day, the game means super well, and I was glad I played it. It's something new and different. But man, it could've been so much better.

Nillin deserved a better game.

pretty much my take. if the game'd had an infamous-style environment to be explored, & had the combat been smoother & more refined, this game would've been very good. but this'd likely've required a budget, & a more experienced development team, & neither thing was there...

i loved where the game was trying to go, & what it was trying to do. but, unfortunately, it just came up short...

Toppot

Just got and finished the game today. (PS3)

I feel like I'm in love! The game is like a delicious smoothie, it's a mix of a lot of different games, but put them all together and you get something unique and fantastic.

LOVED: The art style, the music, the environments, the character design, the clothes, the story, the main menu, the world it created, the idea of the game, the puzzles, the hud and the presentation

Didn't like: Voice acting, stiff hair, some ambiguousness to where you can or can't land early on. combat can be repetitive, bit too linear.

Its has its problems but as a package its just great IMO, at the start particularly I wished it was open world, but for the teams size and budget I think they did an amazing job. I hope someone gives them a ton of money so they can do some amazing next gen. Not a sequel though, unless they can make an as compelling story again.

It reminded me of Hydrophobia a lot, in a good way, their worlds, their action, the ideas, the universes they created. That game could have been amazing with the right developers behind it, and Remember Me could have been as bad without the right developers behind it. They both have a great amount of potential, but Remember Me succeeded where Hydrophobia failed.

Bliddo

Good grief the fight in late chapter 7 was one of the most frustrating segments of the last five years. Took me just a couple of tries, but it was a miserable experience. You need to pull off combos to win the fight, but you are costantly interrupted by all sorts of nonsense.

I'm glad to be near the end, some parts of this game are... ok, but most of them are just infuriatingly bad designed, such a shame.

I finished this a few days ago, and I honestly loved it. The combat system was a bit clunky at times, but the music, atmosphere and artistic design were fantastic. The memory remixes were far and away the best part, and I wish there had been more of them (more puzzles and less action), but I get why they were where they were.

I switched the VA into French around Episode 4, which I felt improved the game vastly. I speak a little French, but not too much, so that might be why. Regardless, it felt more 'authentic' that way.

I liked the plot, but felt it underdeveloped several points, like Nilin's original reason for joining the Errorists.
I wondered for a while if she even had, or whether the entire thing was a story constructed by Edge/H3O
. Basically, I think it could have been better, but it wasn't a bad story and I enjoyed it. It was good at raising some interesting questions even if it didn't really answer them. It also got bonus pretension points for throwing in a Jacques Derrida reference during a chase scene.

Basically, it suffered some lack of polish, but it had vision and having vision is something I admire more and more in the games industry today. Glad I pre-ordered it, Day 1.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed this overall. I really liked its combat system but just wish it had been a bit faster. I thought they did a decent job mixing up battles. It is indeed a very beautiful game, playing it on PC it looked stunning at times. Remixing was indeed the best part of the game, I wish there had been more parts like those.

A solid game and well worth a playthrough, especially when it goes cheap.

yaffi

Just finished the game and I have to say I really enjoyed it. And I actually liked the story (Nilin is a pretty likeable character).

Also the voice acting was really, really great (played in french).

Gameplay was decent overall, nothing too infuriating. The art was gorgeous, as was the soundtrack; especially the soundtrack!

Toppot

By the way, do we have any idea how well/bad this game sold?

We have no hard data, and no vg-chartz is not a reliable source (try typing it without the hyphen =P ********)

Its almost certainly under 1 million otherwise it would've probably had a press release or been mentioned to Investors (I couldn't find a mention of it on Capcoms investor relations site anywhere).

It stayed high up in the charts for at least a couple of weeks, so it has probably done over 200,000 units worldwide.

LogicStep

The game is 50% off on Steam right now, $24.99. What's the deal with it? I've been interested in it since the beginning but haven't picked it up yet.

BeberMan

Neo Member
Just beat it and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
- The world they built. They nailed the futuristic feel of the world right down to the little things.
- The combat system. It's pretty unique and encourages explorations.
- Remixing memories is a unique and fun gameplay mechanic that I actually wish was more of.
- Brain teasers that break things up from time to time.
- Platforming in the vain of Uncharted that works pretty well for the most part.
- Game is beautiful at times.
- Not a short game, not a long game. Its length felt perfect for me.

Dislikes:
- Combat has it's quirks(Like not being able to hit an enemy until he completely stands up).
- Story is generally weak, with characters that should've been fleshed out a lot more(Olga, Nilin's parents for example).
- Bosses aren't bad, but could've used a lot more creativity.
- Long loading times(360 version installed).

Overall, this is an 8.5 game for me and I recommend it to anyone seeking something a little fresh in the action genre.

I liked the game, and I really hope Capcom puts money and a huge effort into making a sequel for next-gen.

I'd like to see a more free-roaming world, with much better climbing/exploring possibilities. I'd love to be able to walk in-between lots of civilians in a futuristic city and connect to their minds and collect information for either breaking into places or getting clues to finding someone for example.. The memory remixes could be even more advanced and occur more often.

wouwie

I've always wanted to try this game but since i don't like combo based combat at all, i was hesitating to buy. Thanks to PS+, i finally have the opportunity to play this game and i'm glad i did. I haven't finished the game yet but i look forward to continue playing.

I don't think it's fair that i review the gameplay since i don't like the genre, but i'm actually having fun going through this game nonetheless. I'm playing it on the lowest difficulty level. I haven't made any combo myself and i have no clue how it works, but part of me is starting to wonder if i shouldn't put some time in it and learn.

The thing that impresses me is the presentation, the world and the atmosphere, the visuals, and the wonderful music. Presentation wise, it's fantastic. The music is great and original (orchestral mixed with "elektronic"). The visuals are stunning at times: from the design of the world, the colors, the textures, the lightning... I'm playing on PS3 and can imagine this looking stunning on a decent pc. I love this kind of futuristic setting and atmosphere. It's a shame they had to rely on zombies for most of the enemies though. Surely, within such a world, more original enemies could have been created.

I can't help thinking that if this had been a 3rd person shooter with more challenging traversal gameplay and more exploration opportunities (such a great city, so little freedom and exploration), this would have been one of my favourite games. The setting and presentation is just so fantastic.

Dontnod are on my radar from now on. There's definately talent and promise in this game and i can't wait to find out what their next project is going to be.

Tizoc

The combo system is really basic and simple.

You have 2 attacks: Punch and Kick.
Punches and Kicks can also have the effect of recovering health or recharging for special attacks.

If you set a Health Pressen as the last attack in one of the combo chains, you'll recover a lot of health. Likewise if you equip the ones that recharge your special attacks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I didn't expect much when I booted this up, but I felt like playing an action game and this came along. Glad it did. Thank you based PS+.

Wow.

This is my surprise of the year. I loved it so much. Finished it yesterday, but I'm itching to go back for the hard mode. Breaking it down:

- The art direction is glorious. It's like a mix of Portal and Mirror's edge, with some hints of Blade Runner here and there
(getting into the conception cube reminded me of the colours in Tyrell's office in BR)
. You should've seen my face when I ran through Neo Paris for the first time. 'This isn't the b game I was expecting'
- Amazing soundtrack. There were times I thought my game was genuinely stuttering/crashing because of the effects. Listening to it now and this ost is something else.
- Guided platforming is better than Uncharted, with some obstacles and timed moments here and there. This is game #53 with this type of platforming, but it was done well here.
- Ok, combat is a complete Batman-rip, but the combo lab gave it a neat spin. Sucks that once you have an effective combo with variety, there's no reason to go back to the lab. Maybe this will change in hard mode, but on normal I didn't need to mix up the pressens much.
- Interesting story, amplified by the memory remixing. I loved this mechanic, especially near the end
(Inception)
. I was a bit disappointed that there was a
final battle. This was an excellent opportunity to subvert expectations a bit and NOT have a battle. Don't get why there needed to be a fight with H3O, he/it wanted to die and Nillin shoudl've disabled him outright. This is still an action game, so I understand why did it, but the battle seemed kinda forced.

- While the voice acting, dialogue and script were decent, there were some cringeworthy moments that felt completely out of place. The entire segment with the berserker helicopter pilot and the red riding hood worplay was terrible, worst part of the game. 'This little red riding hood has a basket full of kick-ass!' what

Will probably restart on hard. Big surprise, great game.

codhand

Will probably restart on hard. Big surprise, great game.

i read that the french dialog, which is available, is superior, so i might go back and play again in french.

i agree with your points overall though, i love a solid enjoyable action platformer, and this ticks all the check boxes for me. the art direction being the biggest draw for me...

sono

I have started playing this game courtesy of PS+. The start of the game is incredible, it feels so new and innovative and a a great location setting also. I am hoping the game delivers on the initial expectations it has now set for me but so far so great.

Newer experiences are hard to find in our medium and this is one of them.

Finished the game. It is not bad, but it is just so lazy and mediocre (gameplay-wise).

Fighting is OK, but lacks any excitement and it's pretty shallow. The combo creation didn't matter much. You really don't have to adjust anything or think about which action assign to each slot.

Climbing was as OK as it is nowadays. Keep pushing to a direction and press jump. If character doesn't jump, change direction. Can't really call it playing a game, but that seems to be the trend. Also seemed like the devs needed to fill the game with more "gameplay" so they invented a gimmicky way to open doors. Instead of pressing a button, you get a door opening gun skill. So you can aim and open a door.

Only cool and somewhat unique thing about the game was the memory mix scenes. I enjoyed those, but there could have been more of them. Story itself was pretty forgettable though.

Overall I got the feeling that someone really wanted to make a game with some tight jeans and a butt to look at.

Top Bottom