• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

Danj

So i got this game yesterday for PC. And after the second chapter it keep on crashing for no reason. My whole screen went white with the music on the background but couldn't close it at all so i had to restart my pc and tried 2 more times,also verified my files and there was nothing wrong there. Does anyone had this also?

Have you tried the usual stuff like updating your DirectX and your graphics drivers?

Grisby

Got all the collectibles. Gonna shelve it for a while until I do a hard playthrough.

And lol at
X-mas and Nilin playing street fighter
in the model viewer.

Kolgar

Loving this game. Going to try and marathon the rest of the way in the lead up to E3 madness tomorrow.

If anyone is looking for the original soundtrack in something other than iTunes and Android-compatible formats, check out CD Baby. They have it in standard MP3, MP3-320, and lossless FLAC formats.

Pooya

man, the levels look so good, I just stand and look at stuff if I'm not slowly walking through them.

the 'traversal' gameplay it's some super hand holding guided linear awful thing though... it couldn't get any more linear... there is no exploration whatsoever so far, so much that I still feel I'm in the tutorial still...
I'm in the underground part with the train part
but damn the backdrops are so good I want to explore these things, wasted.

As for combat, I quite like the idea of customizing combos and their effects, it's pretty interesting but the execution isn't as good as it should be, combat feels annoying... I just want to be done with them quickly so that I can keep staring at walls and stuff... there is so much details.

The game scratches my cyberpunk itch somewhat with its awesome art direction, looks like I still have to keep dreaming until somebody at last makes a sandbox game with setting like this :'(

with that said I hope this studio gets to make more games, their art department is top tier.

Ricker

There are gray areas in the signs I've encountered that don't rotate, so you can make it to that part and wait for it to rotate again.

EDIT: Just realized that you probably passed this part a long time ago. :p I didn't have have as much trouble as you did with those parts. The zorn robot is incredibly easy once you know what to do.

Yeah,I felt dumb not seeing those grey ones hehe,but yeah I am further in now,finally beat Zorn after 4 tries at the QTE...also the mistake I was doing is not firing the right spammer in the last phase...the battles with the guys you have to light up the area to see are the ones that are giving me the most problems...up to the end of Chapter 4 now.

JohngPR

Just beat Chapter 5. Is it just me or (chapter 5 spoilers)
the reasoning for the memory remix at the end of that chapter really stupid? Seriously, her entire world view revolves around an auto accident that everyone ended up being ok in? Whether young Nilin was at fault, it seems a bit half baked to have that be the catalyst of anything.

Do they explain that any further or is that about it as far as they take it? A simple yes or no will do since I don't want anything spoiled. :)

Dude you are not supposed to rewind further. Jest let the scene play out. Then the game allows you to rewind as much as you want.

You don't understand.

Again, when I reach the end of that scene, after unlocking the first glitch, it plays until the end, and then says "please rewind" and "memory limit". I'm at the end, bu there's nothing that allows me to reverse and find the next glitch. I've left the game on for two hours and nothing pops up.

I have to rewind but I can't rewind so I can't do shit.

Question about the
Madame
boss fight. I got to the point where
there's a quick-time event, and then you both go over a (digital?) cliff, and you have to, I guess, tap a button rapidly to throw her down a chasm
. Thing is, I had to figure this out on my own because
the game gave me NO INDICATION AT ALL that I needed to do this, and thus I ended up repeating the latter part of the boss fight about three times for no reason at all
. Is this normal?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You don't understand.

Again, when I reach the end of that scene, after unlocking the first glitch, it plays until the end, and then says "please rewind" and "memory limit". I'm at the end, bu there's nothing that allows me to reverse and find the next glitch. I've left the game on for two hours and nothing pops up.

I have to rewind but I can't rewind so I can't do shit.

Did you try restarting from the checkpoint like I suggested a day or two ago? Again, the same thing happened to me.

Just beat Chapter 5. Is it just me or (chapter 5 spoilers)
the reasoning for the memory remix at the end of that chapter really stupid? Seriously, her entire world view revolves around an auto accident that everyone ended up being ok in? Whether young Nilin was at fault, it seems a bit half baked to have that be the catalyst of anything.

Do they explain that any further or is that about it as far as they take it? A simple yes or no will do since I don't want anything spoiled. :)

don't go there :) ...

her mom blames her (&, by extention, all humanity?) for having to walk around with a limp? how about: with all the futuristic tech & robotics that exist, why should anyone in this world with a leg injury ever have to end up walking around with a limp?! :) ...

there's lots to like here, story-wise - it's one of the aspects of the game (unlike the confined environments & clunk combat) that actually works for me. but, yeah, even the story has some shortcomings...

JohngPR

don't go there :) ...

her mom blames her (&, by extention, all humanity?) for having to walk around with a limp? how about: with all the futuristic tech & robotics that exist, why should anyone in this world with a leg injury ever have to end up walking around with a limp?! :) ...

there's lots to like here, story-wise - it's one of the aspects of the game (unlike the confined environments & clunk combat) that actually works for me. but, yeah, even the story has some shortcomings...

I've enjoyed the story quite a bit up to this point so it was a bit jarring for me. I'm willing to look past it, but yea
...easily the worst part of the story thus far. It was way too much of a stretch to be believable...hoping the story doesn't jump the shark from this point on.

Question about the
Madame
boss fight. I got to the point where
there's a quick-time event, and then you both go over a (digital?) cliff, and you have to, I guess, tap a button rapidly to throw her down a chasm
. Thing is, I had to figure this out on my own because
the game gave me NO INDICATION AT ALL that I needed to do this, and thus I ended up repeating the latter part of the boss fight about three times for no reason at all
. Is this normal?

I'm playing on PS3 and there's a "mash X" prompt near the bottom of the screen, but it's not as visible as the other button prompts and easily missed if you don't pay attention. I've played the scene twice and almost missed it both times. Amusingly, I also managed to butter-finger the previous QTE - which is easy and clearly visible - both times.

Danj

I don't know if anyone else here is playing on PC and had problems with the QTEs at the end of the
Kid X-mas
battle, but in case you did, here's the sequence (since nobody else on the Internet seems to have posted it):
punch (LMB), dodge (Space), kick (RMB).

I also think it kinda sucks that you don't seem to be given an opportunity to not kill that guy. Or did I miss something?

Not a bad start in the UK, way better than Fuse (I actually prefer the gameplay of Fuse, but everything else about remember me is better - world, art design, characters etc.

Capcom's stylish new IP Remember Me has managed a third-place debut in the UK video games chart.

Grid 2 held top, despite a 50 per cent drop in sales, and FIFA 13 was second.

Bethesda's best-seller Skyrim returned to the top flight in the guise of a new Legendary Edition, which packs together all the game's DLC.

The excellent Far Cry 3 held strong in fifth just ahead of Dead Island: Riptide in sixth. Tomb Raider was seventh, Luigi's Mansion 2 eighth and Donkey Konky Country Returns ninth.

Assassin's Creed 3 bookended the top flight in 10th.

But where is Fuse, you ask? No longer in its first-week position of 37th. Actually it's no longer in the top 40 at all, having slipped down into the obscurity of 24th in the Xbox 360-only chart. It's nowhere else to be seen.

Did a double-dip. Will probably get the art book soon.

I did my part. UK-retail numbers look respectable, let's hope the game will make some money so DONTNOD can make new titles and improve themselves.

Tak3n

Banned
Really enjoying this...

The boss fights I am finding rally good, and actually require some thought...

there is also some real attention to detail, like on chapter six there is a moving chair if you stand in front of it, it stops and displays a sign "please move out of the way"

That is a high level of detail

it does let itself down with some frustrating combat sequences mid levels though

Finished this over the weekend. It's got bits that feel weirdly perfunctory, like the traversal. Especially after Tomb Raider (the game I finished before Remember Me), getting places in Remember Me feels very limited and at times arbitrary. While I appreciate DONTNOD's attempt to split from Uncharted/Tomb Raider/most other games by not painting traversal cues into the environment itself, the solution they came up with is blatantly obvious (even if it has an in-world justification).

Worse, because it's so arbitrary, the game will often shut down paths after you cross an invisible barrier like a level load. Did you spot some hidden Focus Shard on a rooftop across the street? Hope you didn't take the wrong way to get to it, because if you did, you're never going to be able to go back to get it--the invisible handholds that used to be there are gone now, which makes no sense logically. And that's ignoring the rather narrow path the game has you travel, which is somewhat par for the course with these sorts of games but still a tad disappointing.

But honestly, aside from that issue (and some plot points other people have described in previous spoiler posts), I really liked Remember Me. I think I just have a soft spot for quirky B-games. Neo-Paris is a fantastically realized setting, right up there with Columbia in Bioshock Infinite. The combat I actually liked--it's pretty simple but engaging enough that I felt like I got the rhythm of how it's supposed to work. But then, I didn't mind Enslaved's combat and I know people have huge issues with that game as well.

I do have a few wishes for the game. For one, I wish they'd done more with certain aspects of the plot--Edge, for example.
I know what Edge becomes in the end, and that's fine, but there's this whole undercurrent of "do I trust Edge? why is he making me do these horrific things?" that could've been really neat to explore had Edge remained the head of the Errorists.

Also, there aren't enough memory remix sequences. I know there isn't that much to the mechanic, and it would've been easy for that stuff to wear out its welcome, but I loved the whole system of changing certain things and seeing what would happen and wanted to see more of it. I do wish they'd explored Nilin's reactions to the remixes she's asked to do, though--
the goal of each remix sequence escalates quickly until you're at the final remix, and I have a really tough time believing Nilin would just go through with it, no questions asked, no objections raised.
Maybe the game's letting you fill in the blanks by withholding commentary on that section, but it was a jarring thing to see on the screen and I actually sat there for a few seconds wondering if I would be given an alternative option.

Anyways. Took a risk pre-ordering from GMG at the last second before the reviews had come in, and thankfully it paid off. Certainly went better than that time I pre-ordered Homefront and Brink. Man, those were bad decisions.

Pooya

I take back what I said about the combat system... it actually is pretty awesome, one of the most unique combo based combats around? Customizing combos is really interesting,

I want to heal/focus/damage fast and easy? set my XXX combo for it
Large damage to a single enemy? like boss fights? use one of the larger combos + chains.
Combine them for some more interesting tactics, I like that layer of strategy they added over the usual mindless button mashing action games, it's not DMC or something like that where you'd need to memorize, and it's not boring button mashing.

And then the abilities, are pretty cool, they just unlock way late, combining them makes for some flashy looking fights.

Worst thing about the game is Edge, man I want to murder this guy whenever he opens his mouth, unbearable dialog.

I'm not sure what they did but the lighting in this game is probably the best I've seen in a UE3 game, I wish Mass Effect looked as good. The levels are very tight and restrictive sadly, it's literally only one way and tight corridor.

I take back what I said about the combat system... it actually is pretty awesome, one of the most unique combo based combats around?

Yeah, it's not bad once you get more special moves and different enemies. The combo customization could be more involved; there's no incentive to experiment with different attacks except for aesthetic reasons, so the only thing that matters is slapping the squares and triangles down for your cooldown/regen/damage combos. Which, of course, is a neat idea.

There are some interesting combat scenarios, but the majority of those can be solved by spamming dodge and taking advantage of small openings. Adding a counter move (counter combo?) and/or adjusting the enemy aggression would have spiced up the combat nicely.

Tak3n

Banned
so finished this last night, really enjoyed it, the later chapters are much more enjoyable than the beginning chapters IMO

Combat was definately broken in the sense that (especially in later levels) you rarely get chance to pull the long combos off as 90% of the time you are surrounded, so you get red exclamation marks everywhere....

Brilliant story though

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
What really made the combat click for me was when I finally figured out how to dodge correctly. Early on I was always holding the analog stick while dodging, but then I figured out you can much more reliably continue your combo if you only press the dodge button and leave the analog stick alone.

Lime

Anyone know where the local savegames for this game are? I can't find them in either the Documents folder or the Steam userdata folder.

Lime

So I'm in Episode 4 by now and I still don't get the motivation for why Nilin
is cooperating with and abiding Error.

I mean, she basically killed off hundreds of citizens through the flooding of San Michels
, yet I don't know what's her motivation is? What's in it for her? I don't think the game has told me anything yet, or did I miss something?

Grisby

Not a bad start in the UK, way better than Fuse (I actually prefer the gameplay of Fuse, but everything else about remember me is better - world, art design, characters etc.
Good deal. I wonder how it did in the states.

Had the soundtrack on repeat the last few days, so good.

Pooya

beat it, the story was pretty meh but THAT part in the last episode was quite awesome.

and the room in the beginning of the last episode is really gorgeous.

The game had some pretty cool ideas and outstanding music and art, worth playing.

Kolgar

Good Lord, people. If you have even a passing interest in sci-fi, cyberpunk, amazing art and atmosphere, you owe it to yourself to check this game out! It's drop-dead gorgeous (and I'm only playing on a 360) and I'm really enjoying the combat.

I'm playing on PS3 and there's a "mash X" prompt near the bottom of the screen, but it's not as visible as the other button prompts and easily missed if you don't pay attention. I've played the scene twice and almost missed it both times. Amusingly, I also managed to butter-finger the previous QTE - which is easy and clearly visible - both times.

Ah, that must have been it. I'm on PS3 as well. I managed to get through it nonetheless, it's just irritating when they make all their QTE prompts one way, and then just for that one, do something different. I was sitting there expecting it to appear in the usual spot.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I want the street fighter moves :(

The spinning bird kick is pretty useful because it hits any surrounding enemies, so it cancels them if they have a red exclamation mark. I can't remember if any of the non-SF moves do that. I'd always put that one on my longest combo so I could finish it without having to dodge as much.

Lime

Finished it in 2 sittings yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I excepted it to be, as the environment art, main character, music, and fighting gameplay impressed me more than I thought it would by making up for the game's other shortcomings (plot, dialogue, linearity, primitive platforming). I played it in French with English subtitles and I could imagine that this choice hid or obscured some of the writing's severe shortcomings.

It's kind of like the Alice: Madness Returns of linear cinematic games and I'd definitely say it's worth a purchase/playthrough at below $20.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yesterday I received the huge artbook in the mail, and as promised some quick impressions. Note that I didn't completely read through it from beginning to end - I haven't finished the game yet and I don't want to get spoiled on locations or characters.

OPd30QN.jpg

'The Art of Remember Me' is a massive hardcover collection of artworks, renders and the likes from all stages of the game's development. It's 184 pages in glossy paper, the overall book is of top-notch quality.

Aside the artwork there is a lot of background information from the several designers about the creative proces for creating NeoParis, the overall look and everything else you'd expect. I personally greatly enjoy logo design, and I love that his book has a lot of early drafts of a lot of iconography used in the game.

The Art of Remember Me
Writers: Aleksi Briclot, Michel Koch, Jean-max Moris
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
ISBN 13: 9781616551636 ISBN 10: 1616551631
184 pages

note: I took these pictures with my iPhone. I know scans aren't allowed, if pictures aren't either I am sorry and I will remove them immediately.

Ricker

It's funny that everyone likes the remixes but like I said earlier,I absolutly hate them...quit the game on the Accident one...maybe when I pick it up again,I will have the patience for them but I just can't stand the rewinding and FForward with the analog stick hehe.

Tak3n

Banned
It's funny that everyone likes the remixes but like I said earlier,I absolutly hate them...quit the game on the Accident one...maybe when I pick it up again,I will have the patience for them but I just can't stand the rewinding and FForward with the analog stick hehe.

you should the accident one is actually the most difficult one, and if you really can not bebbothered just you tube it and get it right first time... though obviously you are missing out

icespide

Banned
so I started this last night and I'm having a really hard time with timing the combos. I'm trying to hit the next button just as my strikes hit but it never works.

am I missing something? anyone else had timing problems?

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus, Episode 2 is SOOO good, wow.

The setting, the atmosphere, the platforming, the music, combo system gets taken to the next level, the bossfight. Awesome.

I literally walked around that place for 10 minutes, the level of detail these devs put into the game world is stunning.

Also

For some bizarre reason this portrait reminded me of Evilore, hehe.

Lijik

Started playing this, near the start of episode 2 right now. Near the start I switched the language to french and I have to say it really kicks the atmosphere up a few notches.
I love love love the world, but the traversal (uncharted climbing with onscreen prompts to show you where to go might as well be a parody imo) and combat aren't grabbing me. Too run of the mill so far. Im hoping it gets a little better.
The memory remixing was REALLY cool though. Rewinding and fast forwarding and seeing the different outcomes is super neat, and I almost wish the game was a puzzle game visual novel hybrid that just focused on that and the narrative. Well you know either that or a game that was stellar at the action/adventure stuff.

I didnt look into the combo lab stuff that much, I think I remember hearing Brad Shoemaker talk about it on the Giant Bombcast, and expected itd be like the combo creation in GodHand. Really disappointed that its more streamlined than that, but I guess thats on me for not paying as close attention as i should have beforehand.

so I started this last night and I'm having a really hard time with timing the combos. I'm trying to hit the next button just as my strikes hit but it never works.

am I missing something? anyone else had timing problems?

Try to time your button press slightly after the hit, not before. I found the timing to be pretty generous. Also, when you see the ! warning, keep your stick centered when pressing the dodge button; you'll dodge over the enemy you were attacking and can continue the combo afterwards.

SJRB

Gold Member
Started playing this, near the start of episode 2 right now. Near the start I switched the language to french and I have to say it really kicks the atmosphere up a few notches.
I love love love the world, but the traversal (uncharted climbing with onscreen prompts to show you where to go might as well be a parody imo) and combat aren't grabbing me. Too run of the mill so far. Im hoping it gets a little better.
The memory remixing was REALLY cool though. Rewinding and fast forwarding and seeing the different outcomes is super neat, and I almost wish the game was a puzzle game visual novel hybrid that just focused on that and the narrative. Well you know either that or a game that was stellar at the action/adventure stuff.

I didnt look into the combo lab stuff that much, I think I remember hearing Brad Shoemaker talk about it on the Giant Bombcast, and expected itd be like the combo creation in GodHand. Really disappointed that its more streamlined than that, but I guess thats on me for not paying as close attention as i should have beforehand.

You unlock more Pressens and other special abilities in Episode 2, which will definately make the combat more interesting.

At first I was kind of confused that I could only make two combo strings; the 3-button and the 5-button combo. But then I realised that, since I can change the combo at any time, I'm supposed to adapt to the enemy I'm facing and change the combo accordingly. And since you're limited to 5-button combo max, it's always a trade-off: take the damage pressen or the healing pressen?

It's an interesting system.

I'm finally getting to play this game, on PC. I'm still unpacking, but I stole an hour or two to give it a shot.

I'm still getting used to the combat and dodging, but thus far, I really like the game world. It is corridor-ey and the platforming might as well not have been included. I'm still liking it though!

This game is taking me pretty long, because I do big parts of the game at walking pace, just to look at the great art of this game. I've played for 10 hours now, and I'm at 62% complete (episode 5).
Spend a lot of time on the Madame fight, because the last QTE in the Madame fight had no prompt (on PC). I just kept on fighting, always missing the last QTE, but not knowing that was the problem. Seems to be fixed with the latest patch, though.

Lima

Ah it wouldn't be a Japanese French game without a final boss fight that just fucking sucks.

I was worried there for a second.

Top Bottom