• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

Quantum

About 70-80% completed (and plan on completing it today as the house is quiet at the moment)

so far I love the graphics, I really really dig this game at 2560 x 1600 on my u3011. I should also mention that the music is incredible as well.

Unfortunately that's all I'm loving at this moment. Its really just a run of the mill game with a freaking amazing backdrop and sound.

the combat is decidedly lacking of type of complexity. literally can set your 'pressens' to strong attack and kill 90% of the mobs, then if you are loosing health - switch them to healing and raise your health back up - then repeat using only one button.

If you spam the 'avoid' button (A on the 360 controller) you can NEVER get hit.

The FOV is annoying me as well - in one of the earlier battles requiring a QTE I couldn't even see the stereotypical QTE button flashing so I had to replay the scene like 6 times before it became apparent.

the pacing between the ledge jumping and the combat is not fluid at all, although I'm not sure how it could be.

I wanted this to be so much better.

Digoman

As with much of the game, the combo interface needed a little more work.

Finished today, in 9 hours (but with some sightseeing on the levels). Overall I liked it, but as other have mentioned, during the whole game I got that feeling that with a little more budget/work you could push this game into something really special.

The combo/pressen system is interesting, but the execution has some serious flaws. Maintaining the combo going doesn't feel very... "fluid" and in the end you just choose one of the bigger combos and try to finish the sequence... each time for very enemy. Sill, the idea of assembling the effects is nice, and maybe with a more dynamic battle system with more targeting switching (like Batman AC/AA) with shorter combos and less powerful pressen (specially the health regen) it could be a lot better. In any case, it needed more tuning.

The game could also use a lot less linear levels. Specially with such a interesting world, I really wanted to explore more. As it is, there is very little interactivity and you're always on rails, with very few exceptions in small "detours" to get some collectibles. Even when using your tools to more some things around, since you basically just trying to "align" the elements to move forward, it doesn't really add much.

That... and the camera, are the bad parts. The rest I really liked. The art is amazing, the music unique and great and even if the story isn't that great, it has it's moments. The remixes are interesting and even if there are very few I think the quantity is okay, since they are basically try-and-error by toggling the "switches" you can change. Plot wise, they made me feel uncomfortable, specially the last one, but I suppose that was the intention.

In the end, the flaws weren't enough to sour the game for me, but it will depend if any of them gets on your nerves (and to be fair, I'm more forgiving when the game is at least trying something different).

For me, it had "serviceable" gameplay, with a very interesting world, beautiful art and music and decent story. Probably not enough to justify full price to most people, but to keep an eye on when it gets on sale.

Would be really nice to see a more refined and expanded sequel, but I'm guessing that it is very unlikely...

Ricker

Fuck it,I am done with this game,the combat is awful,I am trying to do the fight with the guys that disappear on top of the ones that climb walls etc etc...camera is all over the place,you have to hit LB RB,while trying to nail your pressens to heal or recharge,but because I keep getting hit by something I can't see or jump over,my health goes down fast,projectors arent always working,etc etc...might put it on easy to see the rest,because the graphics and music and all is great but that combo system and the battles like that one is a mess to me.

stktt

Banned
Fuck it,I am done with this game,the combat is awful,I am trying to do the fight with the guys that disappear on top of the ones that climb walls etc etc...camera is all over the place,you have to hit LB RB,while trying to nail your pressens to heal or recharge,but because I keep getting hit by something I can't see or jump over,my health goes down fast,projectors arent always working,etc etc...might put it on easy to see the rest,because the graphics and music and all is great but that combo system and the battles like that one is a mess to me.

Are you sure you aren't missing the single regular enemy? I kept killing them to recharge my pressen while waiting for the flooding to become operational again.

george_us

Just finished it, what a fascinating experience. The game is definitely not without its flaws i.e. the mostly simplistic design and the story isn't too hot but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the more interesting things I've played all generation. Combat to me felt more like puzzles in that I had to figure out what Pressens and S-Pressens to use rather than being totally reflex driven, which I thought was an interesting choice.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10 since the flaws are too glaring to ignore but I don't regret paying full price for this at all. Can't wait to see what DONTNOD does next.

Quantum

just finished.

I think visually this was a phenomenal game. The audio - fantastic (specifically the music, not necessarily the voice work although I kinda dug the main characters voice) .

The combat was non existent.

(set your x - x - x combo to heavy dmg pressens until you run low on health, set your x - x - x combo to healing until full heal, repeat while spamming dodge worked in every situation except one where you could set your combo, the same one, x - x - x as one heal pressen and one dmg)

only have to use the x button (with spamming your dodge as needed)

I really like the world, neo-Paris, the vibe - just wish it was more flushed out.

man this would make an amazing world to explore.

I understand it was a story driven corridor fighter, but the graphics deserved more. I might re-play it and see if the hardest level adds anything, but not this week.

I'm (probably) near the end and still liking it. Things that I don't like so much are:

- Inadvertently taking the critical path first and missing optional things.
- Some enemies being overly spammy and eager to interrupt your combos.

:)

i just gave up playing early about a half-hour ago (a ways into chapter 6), & those 2 things had a lot to do with it. i've just grown very tired of both happening repeatedly. i want to finish the damn game, but its become much more of a chore than i ever expected it to...

the game desperately needs a somewhat open world, & better designed combat encounters, with enemies you can at least knock down or temporarily stun. as is, it feels like a straight adventure game with hardly any room for exploration, & with a clunky, extremely repetitive combat system kinda shoe-horned in. & those 2 negatives are unfortunately really doing damage to all the positives for me at this point...

Jackpot

Banned
Wow. What an ending. This game tries so many amazing new things and succeeds with most of them. Shame so many people will miss out on it due to the crappy reviews. Cult classic indeed.

RedSwirl

Is English the only audio language option in this game? I ask because Garnett on Weekend Confirmed seemed disappointed in the dialogue and I didn't realize until recently that this game was French-developed. Perhaps French is the original language of the dialogue and there's an option to switch to that with subtitles?

Is English the only audio language option in this game? I ask because Garnett on Weekend Confirmed seemed disappointed in the dialogue and I didn't realize until recently that this game was French-developed. Perhaps French is the original language of the dialogue and there's an option to switch to that with subtitles?

yes. & it's been just fine (just be sure to turn on the subtitles, too)...

EvB

I'm really loving this, playing through on hard hasn't been too hard, with the exception of a few enemies encounters in smaller spaces.

The presentation is fantastic, the locations are absolutely amazing, the scene where you are climbing up and can see the sacre coeur was magnificent.

The soundtrack is really cool and I like the way it corrupts the orchestral soundtrack, especially in combat when it almost feels a little like lumines.

I actually changed voices to french, as that seems far more fitting when you are in Paris. It makes the people in slum 404 seem a little less generic also.

I'm a little disappointed that I've played for 7 hours and have only seen 2 memory remixes, as I thought those were a big part of the game.

Roubjon

Is there any way to tell exactly how long you have played? Or are people just estimating? I'm kinda curious what my final count was.

Riposte

Meh, not the best places to read for impressions if people are saying how many instances of "x" there are in the game.

RedSwirl

360/PS3/PC

rm1iub5.png

Ricker

So far my only major issue with the game is the camera during boss fights. Worst example so far is
the boss at the end of chapter... 4, I think? The big robot where you have to blow his arms off and then attack his weak point for massive damage. The camera was irritating enough during the battle in general, there's no lock-on so I just kinda jumped when I thought he might be charging and hoped for the best. But then when you've whittled his health all the way down and the "PRESS B TO FINISH HIM!" prompt appears, I would go up to him and press B, and then he'd stomp me. This happened several times, thankfully it doesn't do any damage to you, but it kicks you back to the battle and you have to beat him down again to get the PRESS B prompt. Eventually, after getting pretty aggravated and wondering wtf was I doing wrong, I finally noticed that after I pressed B, a Y button icon was appearing over his head, i.e. initiating a series of QTEs you have to perform to actually kill him. Because the camera is so lame, only like the bottom 1/4 of the Y icon was visible. Meh.
I still think it's a decent game, though. No regrets.

That is exactly the problem I have and once you miss it the first time,I think it never appears again...? I keep shooting at him with the spammer but nothing happens,I have to dodge his stomp and then dodge his fireball,then I shoot him(LB/RB) while he is recharging or whatever but he keeps coming out of that and stomps and fireballs on and on and on...

The aesthetic was awesome. Really damn cool stuff. I'll take ten of these 'pretty corridor' games for every open world cut-and-paste affair. The world felt organic.

Would play again.

Grisby

Beat the game earlier today and have been replaying some episode to get missed intel, bugs, etc. It's a bit of a hassle to replay thanks to the real time cutscenes that you can't skip.

Man, what a refreshing experience. It's a real shame this got overlooked and released a week before E3. I think I'm gonna have to do a more solid writeup in the next few days but I was pretty pleased with the whole experience. Remember Me isn't a 10/10 game but it is definitely above average. When we're at the end of the console cycle and every series is in it's trilogy ending phase it's really neat to be presented with something new.

Some quick thoughts and spoilers stuff:
1) Over all I liked the story and even though I called the final boss early into the game I was still pleased with how it was handled.
H20 wanting to die was a neat deal and I'm glad he wasn't a SHODAN who wanted to kill all humans.
2) That final remix was filled with some dark stuff.
3) Even though I liked the overall story there were still some confusing bits and I think it some of the info could have been presented a little better. Also, around episode 4 and 5 theres some cringing dialog. Nilin's
"I got a basket full of kick ass." had me rolling and not in the good campy way.
4) In the 3rd remix I thought it was cool when I realized
Nilin ended up being the little girl.

So yeah, good stuff. Combat needed a lot of work but I like the foundation they've built. I gotta disagree with some dudes in here calling for an open world. I think that would have probably meant less unique art assets ala Assassins Creed. Maybe for the next go around on a next gen console.I also think it would have had an impact on the pacing too which, outside of one or two bits, I found to be pretty decent.

PS. On another thought I would have liked some longer splitting paths and to have had the ability to talk to a few residents. Get some more info out of the world instead of putting it hidden away in those files.

The aesthetic was awesome. Really damn cool stuff. I'll take ten of these 'pretty corridor' games for every open world cut-and-paste affair. The world felt organic.

Would play again.

The environments were gorgeous, but they were also extremely small. To the point where they felt claustrophobic. And what was with the level closing itself off after you pass thresholds (like doors) so you can't backtrack? At all?

Other than that, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

PC version.

At first remix.

Can't fucking rewind after finding the first glitch, no matter how hard I try on both the mouse or 360 controller.

Fucking dropped.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anyone else kept wishing they could interact with the robots and/or humans? Ever since that scene in chapter 1 or 2 where
the robot bumps into you
I was curious to see them characterized some more.

Regarding the camera, lots of people complaining about it here, It didn't bother me much though because as long as I was watching for the red exclamation marks I was good. The times I would run into trouble was with the enemies that shot projectiles, I wouldn't always notice when they were firing.

The QTEs pissed me off a lot. Especially since I had been playing a DS game recently so I kept mixing up the a/b/x/y button placement.

Sulik2

PC version.

At first remix.

Can't fucking rewind after finding the first glitch, no matter how hard I try on both the mouse or 360 controller.

Fucking dropped.

I thought the same thing happened. Your still in the tutorial. Let the scene play out again and then it will tell you that you need to change more things and let you rewind again.

Loving this game so far! Just started episode 2 and I find myself just walking through every single area, and panning the camera around to look at the environments. Just got the ability to do finishers, and I am lovin' that effect!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
PC version.

At first remix.

Fucking dropped.

It's an (actual) glitch. The same thing happened to me. I restarted the scene and was able to get through it without a problem.

Finished and started a hard playthrough right away. There's definitely a feeling that it could have been better, but the world, setting, art and style are out of this world. Great soundtrack too.

The final remix
is fucking evil, even though they sort of undo it afterwards. Messing with people's memories in general makes me feel uneasy.

SJRB

Gold Member
PC version.

At first remix.

Fucking dropped.

You're not supposed to continue rewinding. You have to alter the first glitch and watch the scene play out. After that, you're free to rewind again and as far back as you want.

Reese-015

Played the first 30-60mins or so. Fucking awesome. Thus far it's really fresh and engaging, love the audiovisual style and the characters seem great.

Finished it last night. I really enjoyed it and hope the developer gets a chance at a sequel. While there were a few problems with the game a sequel could easily fix these and give us an amazing experience. Also pretty sure this is going to soundtrack of the year.

synce

The game either deserves higher scores than it's getting, or similar games need to be rated lower. I had just as much fun with Remember Me as Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc. They're all basically the same thing. My biggest gripe with this game is why they have to make Nilin look so angry all the time. Her body's great butterface...

Jackpot

Banned
Does Nilin ever comment on the fact that
Olga was the one who attacked the hospital ship and killed a hundred people out of revenge still thinking David was dead, therefore making us indirectly responsible?
I couldn't get close enough to the news report screen in the flooded areas.

Also I think this is the closest a game can come to being Inception.

Turbo

Neo Member
Enjoyed it, and having played on the pc, loved the cyperpunk Neo-Paris artistic style.

But like others had felt, the potential in the game was not fully realised. The feeling I got when I was exploring reminded me of another game, Dues ex human revolution, specifically upper Hengsha.

Really wished I could have used some memory tech on some inhabitants to interact with people or the city. It would have made this game a lot better.

HT UK

Finished chapter 4 last night. I love the art style, setting & presentation of this game.

The combat isn't great, it can be enjoyable at times though. I liked the boss at the end of chapter 4 for example.

I really hope they get to make a sequel, as imagine it has the potential to make a huge leap like AC1 - AC2.

Does Nilin ever comment on the fact that
Olga was the one who attacked the hospital ship and killed a hundred people out of revenge still thinking David was dead, therefore making us indirectly responsible?
I couldn't get close enough to the news report screen in the flooded areas.

Also I think this is the closest a game can come to being Inception.
That was my biggest problem with the game. I felt there should have been more repercussions for the memory remixing. I mean what you're doing to people is a pretty big violation.

JohngPR

Goddamn this game has the most annoying frustrating bits ever..I am trying to traverse the publicity sign that rotates and makes you fall if you dont reach the other side because one of the flaps hits you...it says to hold RB to move faster but I dont have enough time...maybe my RB button is broken or loose or something,I will try another controller later...

There are gray areas in the signs I've encountered that don't rotate, so you can make it to that part and wait for it to rotate again.

EDIT: Just realized that you probably passed this part a long time ago. :p I didn't have have as much trouble as you did with those parts. The zorn robot is incredibly easy once you know what to do.

Grisby

Finished and started a hard playthrough right away. There's definitely a feeling that it could have been better, but the world, setting, art and style are out of this world. Great soundtrack too.

The final remix
is fucking evil, even though they sort of undo it afterwards. Messing with people's memories in general makes me feel uneasy.
Yeah. Remember Me's remixes made me feel more uneasy then a lot of other games and their morality choices.
Awesome job man.

I finished it last night.

I'll echo the sentiment for "Wow, what an ending"

The camera is my single biggest complaint about the game. It just gets in the way too often, especially in boss fights.

I'd have liked to see more memory remixes, as it was a cool idea and especially fun to see different potential outcomes (even if they weren't the desired one for the scenario)

I enjoyed the combat system for the most part, though I never bothered with the longest combo. I had a couple that worked well, one for regenerating my s-pressen cooldown and another for damage and health regeneration.

Some of the longer fights with groups of enemies were a bit difficult, but still manageable.

I can't complain about the voice acting as I played the game in french w/ english subtitles

I'd give it 4/5. It has problems, but I was able to overlook many of them and enjoy the ride.

this game is soooooo good for screenshots. Art direction is superb.

I like the interior designs in particular.

Not so much for everything else, too early to say.

Yeah there have already been so many moments like this, and I'm barely that far into the game. If nothing else, I will be returning to this world many times just to look at it.

It's an (actual) glitch. The same thing happened to me. I restarted the scene and was able to get through it without a problem.

Restarted twice after the "Please rewind" thing comes up. Got the first glitch, as the tutorial wants you to do, and then it doesn't rewind.

Was a decent game, too.

Danj

Just played through Episode 1, loving it so far. And the music is AMAZING, I already went looking for the soundtrack (it's on iTunes and Google Play). The rewinding thing is a bit fiddly with a mouse - maybe I should've tried it with my laptop's trackpad, that might've actually worked really well for that part.

What about for people who got the game on Steam? Is there any way to set custom artwork as the Steam Library background for the game? I don't use grid mode so a custom grid tile isn't any use to me.

Maxxan

Might be a good time to post that "better than expected" pic. A few hours in, and I'm enjoying this.

Sure, going up against TLOU (at least review copy-wise) isn't doing this game any favours, but could anyone honestly say that this is any worse than Enslaved? This game's just two years too late :p

Danj

Is there any trick to doing that part in Episode 2 with the faulty sign? I hold LMB to go faster along ledges like it says but I still get knocked off a couple of strips before the end.

Restarted twice after the "Please rewind" thing comes up. Got the first glitch, as the tutorial wants you to do, and then it doesn't rewind.

Was a decent game, too.
Dude you are not supposed to rewind further. Jest let the scene play out. Then the game allows you to rewind as much as you want.

Salih

put me in the group of people saying "superb ending".
really enjoyed the story, the music and the futuristic artstyle. everything else was ok at best.

best part:
"remix the remix" to let your father think he remixed you wrong and therefore killed you. so well done.

Nokterian

So i got this game yesterday for PC. And after the second chapter it keep on crashing for no reason. My whole screen went white with the music on the background but couldn't close it at all so i had to restart my pc and tried 2 more times,also verified my files and there was nothing wrong there. Does anyone had this also?

Top Bottom