• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER the dArk knight rises UnmaRked spOileR threAd | You only legend once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

I remembered how pissed I was when DM posted the OT and that douche "spoiled" Bane killing Alfred.

And then it didn't happen :)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Why does almost everyone who disliked the film say they couldn't understand Bane?
How did anyone not understand Bane? Like his voice was so high in the mix. At worst I was a few seconds behind getting some lines, never lost.

Go to better theaters, I dunno.

Ithil

I kinda wish scarecrow had his mask on when he was presiding though. Guy looks super intense with it.

The only issue I had with Banes voice was the super clarity and the inconsisstent accent. Sounded like a bad impression most of the time

scarecrow.jpg

Yeah, barely being able to see anything but the whites of his eyes through the holes made it a damned unsettling mask.

artist

Banned
The Bane vs Bruce fight in the sewers was great but the best moment for me (excluding the back breaking) was Batman tries to hide in the darkness and Bane picks him out like a fly, haha.

"You think you can hide in darkness? I was born in darkness!" or something on those lines.

Shouta

That was one of the most uncomfortable moments for me. The entire thing was so logically inconsistent.

The whole plot about how Dent's story being a "lie" doesn't make much sense to me either. Harvey going crazy doesn't mean you shouldn't have locked away the mob.... The scene with Gordon gushing about trying to keep his hands clean just seemed off as a result as well.

You can't preach justice, especially ideal justice like imprisoning people, if you're a murderer yourself is the idea. Dent killing people made his actions suspect and it would seem like a mobster was just locking people up that would get in his way.

At least, I think that was what they were aiming for. Belief in justice through the system and that honest and good people could had the power to punish ones that broke laws. I think they were going for the "You can't have a fat guy tell you how to diet because what he's saying is suspect because of he's fast himself" kind of thought process.

Bane has a presence and swagger about him that's unmatched in the trilogy. He towers over people, he imitates with a glare, he's pretty much never out of control of the situation. He's lays his hand near old guy's head and it's understood just out of his league corporate suit guy is. "Does it look like you're in any position of power here?"

However, he doesn't have the moment-to-moment spontaneous, chaotic fun that the Joker has, instead replaced with straight ahead villiany and garbled, sometimes flat-out unintelligible dialog. I also think thematically he's a weaker, less ambitious character then The Joker, and at times feels like a reheated mish-mash of Ra's and The Joker instead of his own unique antagonist. And finally, his final scenes are disappointing, not just in the way he loses(dude totally dominated Batman, but he comes back and manages to cut part of his mask, and he's done?), but Talia's sudden ascendance demotes him down to sidekick/big bodyguard status, and then suddenly taking off the board by Catwoman. His arc doesn't so much end as it just flips, and then stops suddenly.

If I had to rank the head bad guys, it'd be Joker >> Bane > Ra's.

Dead

well not really...yet
I know. I was trying to point that out without stepping on Zimmer fan's toes. Howard isn't all that accomplished though, which I find strange based off his BB work.
not all that accomplished? dude no!

His Shyamlalalalala works are some of the best film scores of the past decade+

Megasoum

Banned
Why does almost everyone who disliked the film say they couldn't understand Bane?

I didn't have any problems understanding him throughout the movie, it was a lot worse in the first preview ont he airplane scene. It was almost TOO easy to hear him sometimes, it almost felt like it came from a sound booth.

The Bane vs Bruce fight in the sewers was great but the best moment for me (excluding the back breaking) was Batman tries to hide in the darkness and Bane picks him out like a fly, haha.

"You think you can hide in darkness? I was born in darkness!" or something on those lines.

You have adopted the darkness, but I was born in it. The shadows betray you!

Great scene. Best scene.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The court room actually reminded me of the court room at the beginning of Arkham City.

Man, Harvey Dent running that would have been great...

That said, his death had a purpose in TDKR, so it's all good.

Did anyone else think Bale's facial expression when Talia stabbed him completely sold the moment? It could have come off so hokey with the underdevelopment of her character, but Bale's look man.

It also made him getting together with Selina at the end bring a huge smile to my face (fuck off it's not a dream!). The man deserves a good relationship.

Kud Dukan

I remembered how pissed I was when DM posted the OT and that douche "spoiled" Bane killing Alfred.

And then it didn't happen :)

Yeah, when Alfred left I kept waiting for him to reappear as a prisoner of Bane or something and be killed. Glad it never happened.

not all that accomplished? dude no!

His Shyamlalalalala works are some of the best film scores of the past decade+

I'm not very familiar with his work outside of Batman. I'm sure his other work is great and I should check it out. Maybe I should have said his resume is hard to compare to Zimmer's.

Edit: What is Shyamla?

You can't preach justice, especially ideal justice like imprisoning people, if you're a murderer yourself is the idea. Dent killing people made his actions suspect and it would seem like a mobster was just locking people up that would get in his way.

At least, I think that was what they were aiming for. Belief in justice through the system and that honest and good people could had the power to punish ones that broke laws. I think they were going for the "You can't have a fat guy tell you how to diet because what he's saying is suspect because of he's fast himself" kind of thought process.

That's possible, but it doesn't really work in the way they do it because Dent himself going crazy doesn't really change anything done prior, and even if you disagree with that the concept certainly isn't developed well within the movie itself. They should have just left the Dent plotline out entirely I thought.

Exeunt

I think the Joker was more interesting to watch than Bane (no slight to Hardy) because he really had a hell of a screen presence. He has a lot of small-scale murders (e.g. a judge, a police commissioner, and almost a district attorney on the same night), kills off a main character, and is generally a step ahead of Batman and certainly the cops until the very end of the film. He's one of the most iconic villains out there and his relationship with Batman is legendary and holds up extremely well in the film.

However, I think Bane was a bigger threat overall. Just like the Joker with his knife, Bane has really visceral one-on-one killings starting with literally grabbing someone's face and twisting their neck. And while Gotham under the Joker felt like a place where no one was safe, Gotham under Bane felt like a place where just about all hope was lost and Batman would get himself killed trying to set things right. Bane also serves as the ultimate physical threat to Batman with an absolutely brutal beatdown in the first half of the film; we also get to see Bruce Wayne react to Bane more than the barely-there Bruce Wayne of The Dark Knight which means that Bane can resonate on a more emotional level. Hardy did an excellent job with the character and it was quite different from what I initially expected.

The Joker had a better final scene in the film, but it was arguably more exciting to see Batman wailing on Bane after being so thoroughly defeated the first time they fought. Overall Bane was probably the bigger threat to Batman but the spectacle of the Joker and Heath's legendary performance will likely mean that the Joker will remain more fondly remembered, combined with the fact that the performance can obviously never be repeated.

Ithil

Did anyone else think Bale's facial expression when Talia stabbed him completely sold the moment? It could have come off so hokey with the underdevelopment of her character, but Bale's look man.

It also made him getting together with Selina at the end bring a huge smile to my face (fuck off it's not a dream!). The man deserves a good relationship.

Good scene overall for facial acting, since all you could see was Bale's mouth and Hardy's eyes, and neither of them said much in the scene.

JB1981

Gimme that 4th Robin film. JGL was a tour de Force, really stand out class of acting. Stern without ever being overstated. The ending was fan-service sure but it had the Shawshank effect; Bruce deserved his happy ending.

Also its a shame Heath passed. I would have loved a reprisal of the Joker going to town on the abandoned city streets.

JGL really was fanastic in this.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm not very familiar with his work outside of Batman. I'm sure his other work is great and I should check it out. Maybe I should have said his resume is hard to compare to Zimmer's.
Listen to these

Unbreakable
The Village
Lady in the Water

Shit is so good its inhuman

Red

It's not a dream. It is so obviously not a dream. It is hello let me punch you in a face with how obvious this is.

DMczaf

Bane must have been saving those lines for years for that very moment.

I can see him in his little bunker with his pen and pad like 8 Mile thinking of awesome lines to say when he finally defeats Batman.

Solo

*Bruce Wayne is dead*
*teary funeral procession*
*cut to Wayne Ent.*

Lucious: I want to get that autopilot working.
Worker: Logs show it was fixed 6 months ago.
Lucious: By who?
Worker: ..................Bruce Wayne.

*Lucious and Solo grinning ear to ear*

Fuck you it worked for me!

Bane must have been saving those lines for years for that moment.

I can see him in his little bunker with his pen and pad like 8 Mile thinking of awesome lines to say when he finally defeats Batman.
hahaha it's crazy because dude was saying like the most menacing amazing shit I ever heard. He definitely has a rolodex of speeches to whip out for different occasions.

Red

:lol

So true. You know he's smiling under that mask thinking, yes, FINALLY I got to say it.

I want to watch this again tomorrow :(

All the explosions tearing up Gotham was amazing. Blake driving around the wasteland and shit blowing up around him.

Alfred should have been the one to rock up and kill Bane.

I CER'AINLEY 'OPE YOR NOT A MEMBA OF DA FIYAH BRIGAYD

I sincerely believed he would show up to assist Gotham at one point. I wonder if he was even in Gotham during the occupation.

Measley

Really enjoyed the film. Thought the middle kind of dragged, but the ending was very strong. Bane was a great villain. It was good to see an adversary that could overpower and beat the tar out of Batman.

Also loved Hathaway's Catwoman. She was almost perfect.

I think I enjoyed this more than TDK. Also I hope this is the end of the Nolan Batman films. If you're going to go out, go out on top.

I think while Bane's end was disappointing, his best scenes stand easily with the Joker's best ones.

Almost. The interrogation scene with Joker is still unmatched for me. That sick sense of dread creeping into the scene as you realize he has made Batman absolutely powerless and undone with no kind of physical force.

Exeunt

I never expected Bane to sound so cordial all the time. From the trailers, I thought he would be weaker and more pained in his speech. The prologue caught me off guard but I really warmed up to Bane's manner of speaking rather quickly. It's like he knows he's in charge and he's amused that you're just this ridiculous little thing in his way.

Ithil

"You have adopted the darkness, but I was born in it. The shadows betray you!"
"You will just have to imagine the fire"
"Search him, then I kill you"
"You are no closer than the Babylonians with their swords and firesticks!"
"Do you feel in control?"
"Perhaps he's wondering why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of an airplane"

Man the more I think about Bane the more I love him. Total boss.

Guys, movie was pretty great if only for the third act (especially those last ten or so minutes) and the Batman ass beating.

My theater's trying to get all the money they can out of this thing. At 7:15 they started it up right at the film's logos, no trailers or anything. I was kind of sad about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom