• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember when Tony Hawk, Rob Zombie and Bruce Willis were just the coolest shit ever?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Both Mid games except for tony hawk but i remember that era, sure.
karate-kick-kick-grandma.gif

Rob zombie was never cool interesting or edgy.
Rob Zombie music fit perfectly for TM3. Def. a product of it's time, and it was a weird time.

Very cool to have kind of been the last bastion of analog to digital media and all the growing pains that came with it, growing up as a prime 90's kid it always felt like the future of videogames was only limited by really fastly evolving technology and the possibilities felt endless.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
They were never cool
My mom’s favorite movie at the time was Armageddon hilariously though lol

Are you out of your mind Spaceman292 Spaceman292 ? Or have you never been twelve or a mom ?
What are you gonna tell us next ? That playing an unplugged electric guitar in a moonlike setting isn't the greatest and most romantic way to express heartache ?

Celebrities of the 80s and 90s have a trememdous quality over nowdays celebrities in my mind, they seemed to not take themselves too seriously.

Rob Zombie is a douche and so is anyone who gives themselves a stupid fucking name like that thinking it's cool or edgy.

Bruce is cool and so is Tony, The THPS games changed my life and I'm not exaggerating. Got me into skateboarding and punk/rock/metal music. If I hadn't played those games my life would've went in a totally different direction.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Remember when celebrities from the era you grew up in did things to promote their own business? Golly gosh Jee, it's better than it is today, with all of those people I *didn't* grow up with!

Last edited:

Krathoon

I see someone has been digging back into the PlayStation 1 games.

You are forgetting Bruce Campbell in Pitfall and Broken Helix.

GymWolf

Was it a PlayStation game?
Ps1 or saturn, can't remember.

Pretty sure it was ps1.

My friend bought it because he thought it was similar to tomb raider and i tried to play this piece of shit but it was absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I just discovered this game called Iron Helix. It was a Sega CD and Win 3.11 game.

It was one of those FMV games. They got it on Archive.org.

Krathoon

I guess the Dreamcast version of Nightmare Creatures II is the best one. A little higher resolution.

They finally got the FMV cutscenes on it to run right in Flycast.

Krathoon

You still get actors hamming it up in video games. You got Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk and Nic Cage.

That woman from Firefly is showing up in an upcoming game.

Whats with the shadow under tony hawk, its just one big huge square tile. That has go to be emulated video with an emulation error. No way the base game was like that ( i never played it., until the remake and I didn't like it, compared to skate 2 which was amazing).

How was Apocalypse? Good game?

As for the ps1... These aren't the games I think of.

I think and miss:
Vagrant Story
Suikoden 1 &2
Vandal Hearts
MGS1
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legia
Grandia
FF 5,6 (anthologies), 7, and 8.
FF tactics
LoK: Blood Omen
LoK: Soul Reaver
Tomb Raider 1-4
Parasite Eve 1-2
Brave Fencer Musashi
Mega Man Legends 1+2 and Tron Bonne
Castlevania SOTN
Crusaders of Might and Magic
Civ2
Diablo
Colony Wars
Wild 9
GT1 and 2
Road Rash 3d
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Tekken 3
Spyro
Syphon Filter
Crash Bandicoot
Pandamonium

Thats just off the top of my head, owned and loved all these games and wish I didn't sell them for cash in the ps2 era... As I got peanuts, considering how much they are worth today.

PS1 era was amazing

sendit

Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Bruce Willis Die Hard

Rob Zombie? No. He is on the same plane as Insane Clown group.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
so much love for Apocalypse ! i thought nobody remembers this 90s gem 😁

PY7CFQ8.jpg
Hell yeah, it's a really awesome game that holds up really well. It's ridiculous that it got such a mixed reception on release, considering that there hasn't been that many games that would do third person action in similar way before or since. Most third person shooters at the time would either put the camera behind your ass with awful tank controls, or it would be a 2,5D top-down game with pretty stiff action. But this game really has that timeless feel to it thanks to fluid control scheme, intense action, and dynamic cameras that give it that cinematic feel.

I also remember back when we were kids, me and my friend thought that this game must have been based on an actual Bruce Willis movie that we've never seen before because the idea of a famous movie star appearing in a video game seemed so outlandish and, at the time, such appearances usually only happened with movie-licensed games.

Last edited:

Phase

Whats with the shadow under tony hawk, its just one big huge square tile. That has go to be emulated video with an emulation error. No way the base game was like that ( i never played it., until the remake and I didn't like it, compared to skate 2 which was amazing).

How was Apocalypse? Good game?

As for the ps1... These aren't the games I think of.

I think and miss:
Vagrant Story
Suikoden 1 &2
Vandal Hearts
MGS1
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legia
Grandia
FF 5,6 (anthologies), 7, and 8.
FF tactics
LoK: Blood Omen
LoK: Soul Reaver
Tomb Raider 1-4
Parasite Eve 1-2
Brave Fencer Musashi
Mega Man Legends 1+2 and Tron Bonne
Castlevania SOTN
Crusaders of Might and Magic
Civ2
Diablo
Colony Wars
Wild 9
GT1 and 2
Road Rash 3d
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Tekken 3
Spyro
Syphon Filter
Crash Bandicoot
Pandamonium

Thats just off the top of my head, owned and loved all these games and wish I didn't sell them for cash in the ps2 era... As I got peanuts, considering how much they are worth today.

PS1 era was amazing
I honestly feel so bad for selling most of my games when I was younger. Shouldn't have done it but live and learn. I had most of that list you wrote and it was such a glorious time.

Top Bottom