• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering the Xbox One reveal, and your reaction.

With the imminent release of the XSX I am remembering the disastrous reveal of the Xbox One.
As a happy 360 user I was so pissed at what MS put out I couldn't bring myself to support it in any way. I was so dissapointed I ended up going PS4 until the One X came out.

I am glad to see the turn around at MS and I have no doubt the XSX will be a winner, and this next Gen is going to be very different.

At the time I couldn't believe there were some people defending the One X. I think I saw Tim Dog Tweet that the launch was a total success and the idea of Kinect being compulsory was awesome. I figured they must be paid stooges at that point as only a retard would be happy with the steaming pile of shit MS came out with.

This is my favorite memory of the time.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Meh, I just buy a Playstation"... Forza Horizon 2 is on One? Fuck I need to buy an Xbox. That's how I rolled. But once put my hands on controller, everything was forgotten. Sony should be harassed more about their shitty controllers. Right trigger broke for me, when I still have only Killzone: Shadow Fall to play...

Aion002

20 mins after the conference had started I was like: WTH? MS is joking... right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Then it ended and I was.....

d95.gif

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I was a Xbox fanboy and hated it, especially forced Kinect. The console was weaker and more expensive than the ps4. I waited until they broke that up to buy one.

They were forcing too much too early. Today I’m fully digital with always online connected devices all around my house. I thought it was insane in 2013.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Relevant:

The fun starts around page 50 or so.

Grinchy

Banned
The whole, "Let's call it a One, because it's the one place you can get all of your entertainment!" line of thought is all the proof you needed that a bunch of suits who had no idea what gaming consumers wanted were fully in charge.

I know there's like 3 people here who love their Xbox being a DVR box and love yelling commands at it and pretending to be in a janky version of Minority Report while waving their hands around to arrange windows with the Kinect....but nobody wanted that shit. The people in charge fucked up so bad. People like to shit on Phil Spencer for some reason, but everyone should be very glad they got rid of the idiots who made the One.

Digital only online only garbage, what good was the early Xbox One system when internet was still a long way away from being stable for everyone?

Sota4077

Back at that time I was actually a total shitbag console warrior and I convinced myself that all those features are totally awesome and that Microsoft were being new and revolutionary. I remember picking up my console at midnight, coming home, hooking up Kinect then firing up my console. Had to wait like 45 minutes for an update. Then when it was ready to go I got to the dashboard and it was laggy as hell on day one. That was the moment where my console allegiance went right out the window. I ended up buying a PS4 shortly after launch because of a post I saw on Reddit. There was a Shopko store that was closing down somewhere in the USA. PS4's in the store were marked down to $200 like 6 months after they launched in that store. I walked into my local Shopko and found the youngest cashier I could find and asked to price match the "sale" they did. Feels so slimy today now that I am a little older, but oh well.

Played the exclusives at the time on the PS4. Uncharted, The Last Of Us etc. Then PS4 hit their little dry spell where they didn't have much and I went back to Xbox One for a while. Little by little over time Microsoft started to make small changes that made the console suck less. I have never been a "gotta have the best graphics" kinda person so the whole bickering over teraflops wasn't something I ever did. So when they removed mandatory Kinect and then improved the hot dog shit UI I actually started to enjoy the console. Then they released the Xbox One X and the Gamepass and I have been on Xbox ever since. I actually sold my PS4 about a year ago since I got $150 for it and I didn't expect to play it much before the PS5.

Those early days and months of the Xbox One generation were hard to be a part of. But once you remove any allegiance to a console you really just stop giving a shit about it. Microsoft shit the bed so I moved to Playstation. Then Playstation had a lull and I went back. Microsoft have been doing everything right by me except for the lackluster exclusives. If they launch a console that I do not want I will have no hesitation of picking up the PS5 first.

Relevant:

The fun starts around page 50 or so.
This quote

Mattrick has all the charisma of used chewing-gum.

Is amazing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

With the imminent release of the XSX I am remembering the disastrous reveal of the Xbox One.
As a happy 360 user I was so pissed at what MS put out I couldn't bring myself to support it in any way. I was so dissapointed I ended up going PS4 until the One X came out.

I am glad to see the turn around at MS and I have no doubt the XSX will be a winner, and this next Gen is going to be very different.

At the time I couldn't believe there were some people defending the One X. I think I saw Tim Dog Tweet that the launch was a total success and the idea of Kinect being compulsory was awesome. I figured they must be paid stooges at that point as only a retard would be happy with the steaming pile of shit MS came out with.

I hope theres a PS3 version of this coming.

I try to be good person and surpress the dark "console warrior" that lurks within us all somewhere.

But I just couldn't help being smug and amused at multiple blatantly anti-gamer choices being made and seeing people try to make excuses for them in the ensuing chaos.

And listening to podcasters repeat the Xbone's "features" and say things like "that can't be what it sounds like" just had me in stitches.

TaySan

Banned
I don't know what they were thinking with that reveal. They did a complete 180 the end of this generation.

Codes 208

I took the day off, bought snacks and awaited excitedly like e3 come early.

i had never been so disenfranchised and frankly it was almost enough to have me switch to ps4 right off the bat.

if i were to to rank the reveals this gen:
Nintendo switch > ps4 > xbox one X & S > wii u >>>>>>>>>>>> stadia > og xbox one

Last edited:
I took the day off, bought snacks and awaited excitedly like e3 come early.

i had never been so disenfranchised and frankly it was almost enough to have me switch to ps4 right off the bat.

if i were to to rank the reveals this gen:
Nintendo switch > ps4 > xbox one X & S > wii u >>>>>>>>>>>> stadia > og xbox one
Damm, you bought snacks as well.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Back then I was a huge Xbox fanboy, everything they said sounded logical to me "pie_tears_joy:

Looking back they made a lot of mistakes, but still some of the things they were shot down for were only highlighted because of the dumb shit they tried to enforce. They carried this mark on their back for the rest of the generation. Not just for the Xbox brand, but also for the games they released. Everything was worse on the Xbox.

Quezacolt

I was so disappointed, everything around the console seemed a mistake and that moment alone made me not want an xbox one, didnt help either that their exclusives were lacking.
They tried to fix some of the mistakes, and im glad with that, but still, this entire reason i never felt there was any reason for me to buy an xbone.

TLZ

Banned

Angry Joe's reaction is all I remember from it. And it was exactly how I felt.

Romulus

I knew they were fucked, I even turned to my girlfriend during it and said: "they just lost the console war."

Not sure it was the sole reason, but it did them zero favors.

xrnzaaas

I don't know what they were thinking with that reveal. They did a complete 180 the end of this generation.
I wouldn't say it's a complete 180, Microsoft still doesn't want to acknowledge the fact (at least not fully) that strictly singleplayer games are a thing worth doing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What's crazy is that I actually liked how the box looked.

MY biggest hope was that it would have a coaxial input in which I could totally replace my cable box. That didn't happen.

I ended up getting an X1 for X-mas 2014 with Unity bundled. Once it reached that place, it was a much better system, if noticeably weaker than the PS4.

Roberts

I was on my gaming hiatus around that time and wasn't reading gaming news at all, so I was pretty much unaware how it all went down and only learned about it a few years later. That said, I was always planning on buying a new gen console and considering I barely ever used my ps3, I decided to stick with MS and go for One. And considering how MS got out of the mess during the last few years, I kind of don't regret my choice. Xbox One X re-ignited my love for gaming and I don't think I have ever played games as much as I do now (even if it is really hard to find time for it).

I remember the "Sony Too" conspiracy theories that lived on to this day.
I would actually be interested to hear from Sony about just how much pressure the publishers were putting on them to not allow used games on the PS4, and if they ever considered it.
I think the backlash MS got over it made every publisher accept at this stage that it's a fight they couldn't win.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The reaction at the reveal stream was like:

Then Don Matrick said that "the Xbox 360 is the console to offline people" and I started to hate Xbox as a whole.

Things changed as soon Phil Spencer took the throne, but the damage was done

OP, why exactly did you create this thread? Just to shit on Xbox?
Is that what you took from it? I'm an Xbox only gamer, who's happy with how MS are going about the new Generation. But, I cant forget that last gen I was hanging to see the new Xbox, as I was a 360 only gamer (still have my 360 Elite) and was hanging for the new Xbox. I was invested in Xbox, but was totally depressed by the reveal.
Remembering the cluster fuck that was the Xbone reveal is worth revisting on the eve of the XSX.
And as it srands today I have a One X, which I love as a console, and over 60 games. So yeah, hardly anti Xbox.
Dont be so sensitive.

Last edited:

FranXico

I would actually be interested to hear from Sony about just how much pressure the publishers were putting on them to not allow used games on the PS4, and if they ever considered it.
I think the backlash MS got over it made every publisher accept at this stage that it's a fight they couldn't win.
There were different rumours back then. One of those that sounded believable to me was that Sony could not afford (they were almost broke then) to put together the same solution as MS, and that MS in turn was using their DRM solution to entice 3rd parties.

I'm sure Sony would have really done the same if they could.

Top Bottom