• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remembering the Xbox One reveal, and your reaction.

SleepDoctor

Banned
The best bit about it was seeing people trip all over themselves to say that the always on drm and no used games was going to be a good thing for us, only for Microsoft to quickly reverse the decision.

Everything about it was a clusterfuck and so many sheep exposed themselves.

And the "but but but family sharing" lol

I honestly don't know how anyone could defend that shit with a straight face.

Hinedorf

Banned
Never had a presentation influenced me so quickly to pick Sony. That X1 presentation is still very clear in my head as I look at their next flopbox

nani17

are in a big trouble
This was probably the worst press conference for console I ever watched. It was so hard to watch and what was even worse was the fanboys trying to defend this. One that stands out was one of my friends who was literally trying to defend the fact that he couldn't lend other games to his friends and he couldn't buy pre-owned games and you had to check-in online ever so often.

Online was just as good as well fanboys all around saying its not that bad and this is the future of gsming 😂

The reality is many people, including likely many in this thread, were upset but wanted to wait until E3 because the policy communications weren't clear yet. It was at E3 that people turned up the heat and guys like Major Nelson and Don Mattrick were running around like headless chickens. Eventually it let to the reversal of several policies including mandatory kinect, which was based off madeup PR lies that the console wouldn't work without it.

Don had caused a communication rift at Microsoft where only a few staff knew what were going on, some had vague info, and some had no info whatsoever which led to the chaos. Say what you want about Phil but at least everyone knows what the plans are, and he actually tells Xbox staff what the heck is going on, unlike Don.

sn0man

I’m still sad by the xbone but in a way it was a good wake up call. Game systems are likely changing and I won’t be purchasing on day one without clear and understandable messaging about what I’m buying. Hopefully the Stadia reinforces that to all of us gaming fans. Hopefully MS and Sony bring something magical and we are spoiled for choice next gen.

I’ve budgeted for a 4K TV and a surround sound system for my basement for this fall. I’m hoping one of the two of them can execute for this generation.

Reactions: GHG
I remember that when the PS was shown it didn't have a design yet still they showed what it could do, and it received criticism because how they dare present it without showing how is it gonna look, yet when they presented the Xbox the only thing they had ready was precisely the box, even though it was just a box that could do nothing, and some people defended it; which tells me for some people the important thing is how it looks in a shelf rather than what it can do

dano1

A Sheep
fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360."
Don was a joke! Phil is so awesome. He saved Xbox!!

Last edited:
That's not the part they're worried about. They are worried at how gamepass devalues AAA games
How will it devalue someone else's game? Nobody who gets gamepass is not going to not buy other games that arnt on there.
When GTA 6, or the new Metro comes out, everyone will still go and buy it.

Last edited:
"I'm getting that when I can afford it because that's where my profile is and where my friends are". Wasn't able to get one until 2015 and the reveal marketing "controversy" meant nothing. All I knew was that battlefield had bigger maps on next gen than the current one, so I was getting it.

wintersouls

20 mins after the conference had started I was like: WTH? MS is joking... right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Then it ended and I was.....

d95.gif

Same reaction for many. . Thanks to the gods MS has returned to sanity with xbox x series.

Last edited:
Big ideas that many were not open to at the beginning of the console cycle. I still picked up an Xbox One first as Titanfall to me as a player was bonkers and I never regretted that decision. Looking back now with all the changes from the revial I am glad the Xbox division still exists and I am impressed with how much work Phil has put in to get branding and gaming at MS back on point.

LMJ

The actual reveal, the "water cooler" one was awkward and painful, but did showcase new tech and at least had me intrigued, but cautious lol

It was the E3 full reveal and mostly the trickle of info afterward wher it became clear even the MS staff couldnt answer all the supposed BS about "sharing, always online etc" that sent alarm bells screaming off in people's heads lol

But they righted the ship, so good for them, and a special shout out to all the gamers who voted with their words and wallets, that's what FORCED MS to change the design for the better...

Top Bottom