• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder - North American Splatfest (Splatoon) going on right now (July 4)

This is a disgrace

dog-cheating1.jpg

What bad timing, I got to play two matches after getting home.

Does the winning team get anything? It'd be cool if they could at least keep their shirt.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Who told you these would be rare?

Yeah, I don't think they will be. I liked some aspects of it but having 3 maps all day (and probably the 3 worst ones IMO) killed it for me after about 2 hours of dominating anyone who was on Team Cat.

so how much more wins do you guys think cats needed to pull of the final results?

51% was just not enough to beat dog's popularity

I wonder where that win percentage would need to be to overcome the dogs

Pineconn

so how much more wins do you guys think cats needed to pull of the final results?

51% was just not enough to beat dog's popularity

I wonder where that win percentage would need to be to overcome the dogs

At 62%-38% popularity, cats would have needed to win 56% to tie. Which is really, really, really, really dumb.

If having more members gives such a large boost to the results, there's no chance for Team Pop to win in Europe :(

(It's Pop vs Rock here)

I'm honestly most surprised at how badly cats losses in popularity. I thought it would have been in the 50's and 40's.

Oh well. Good game. Look on the bright side if Team Cat had had a greater margin of victory the loss due to popularity would sting much more.

If having more members gives such a large boost to the results, there's no chance for Team Pop to win in Europe :(

(It's Pop vs Rock here)

Hmm? I'm coming up against rock teams that don't even have 4 people.

And I'm doing my part for pop and have won 5 out of 6 matches so far

fernoca

In the like 2 hours I played, managed to make it to 'Dog Defender'.

Reward were 10 Sea Snails, though the higher the rank the more you got.

Stay salty fresh, pussies cats!! :p

In the like 2 hours I played, managed to make it to 'Dog Defender'.

Reward were 10 Sea Snails, though the higher the rank the more you got.

Stay salty fresh, pussies cats!! :p

Does a higher title get you anything?

I'm a Super Pop Girl atm and debating whether to keep playing.

Crono27

I'm honestly most surprised at how badly cats losses in popularity. I thought it would have been in the 50's and 40's.

Oh well. Good game. Look on the bright side if Team Cat had had a greater margin of victory the loss due to popularity would sting much more.

Bet if it was Japan only 95% cats

Just remember, more popularity means more less skilled players were afoot. Not only did some in Team Dog have to carry their team, but we had so many players that we sometimes had to go against our fellow teammates, meaning that these matches couldn't contribute to Splatfest. Team Cat was more likely to get a match that mattered than Team Dog.

I've seen the Splatfest info in-game before and had known that voting contributed to the final results, but that was pretty subtle considering that people had only known that only wins matter.

UltraJay

How did Smash Bros do it? Seriously only wins should matter. Japan was even worse wasn't it? It was a landslide for Rice against Bread and Bread never had a chance.

Hopefully the next Splatfest is Bacon vs Pizza so we have a fair fight.

I was thinking they should do "Hamburgers" vs "Hot Dogs." Or "Soda" vs "Coffee"

Someday they should just do a straight "Callie vs. Marie" Splatfest though, haha.

Dogs are more social animals, so I'm not surprised. It's a lot easier to love a dog that you don't own than a cat. Plus, dogs are simply smarter and more useful.

Some stats that might be interesting to someone:

While the number of dog households vs cat households is similar (47% vs 46%), there are a lot more "multi-cat" households (crazy cat ladies and the like) -- 70% of dog homes are single-dog, whereas the majority of cat homes (54%) are multi-cat.

Pet owners bury their dogs in marked graves dramatically more than people bury cats in such graves (41% to 20%).

Dog owners love male and female dogs equally, whereas cat owners strongly prefer female cats.

Money spent on pet treats annually:
- Cats: $100 million
- Dogs: $1 billion

I'm always surprised at the cat love I see on the net. No one likes cats.

So yeah results aren't surprising to me.

It might be better to just assign teams randomly in the future; it would take popularity out of the equation and fix bad matchmaking times.

Kangi

It might be better to just assign teams randomly in the future; it would take popularity out of the equation and fix bad matchmaking times.

That's completely against the spirit of Splatfest, though. It's about repping a team; if I knew I got randomly assigned cat I wouldn't have even bothered showing up.

Top Bottom