• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder - North American Splatfest (Splatoon) going on right now (July 4)

Over already? I had to stop playing last night. I love dogs but the #teamdog teams I was paired with were getting dominated 3/4 of the matches :/

Rated-G

I'm actually really surprised. I was on Team Dog and didn't think we had a chance in hell. I figured the overwhelming popularity of cats on the Internet would be indicative of the results, but I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see how popular dogs are.

I only got to play about 3 matches against an actual cat team and they were all full level 20 players with kanji names. They were tough but my team pulled through for all three. The rest of my matches were against fellow dogs so... I don't think a lot of my play time contributed to our win total. Lost every single one of those games anyway.

Codeblue

Just remember, more popularity means more less skilled players were afoot. Not only did some in Team Dog have to carry their team, but we had so many players that we sometimes had to go against our fellow teammates, meaning that these matches couldn't contribute to Splatfest. Team Cat was more likely to get a match that mattered than Team Dog.

I've seen the Splatfest info in-game before and had known that voting contributed to the final results, but that was pretty subtle considering that people had only known that only wins matter.

Your justification is marred by a good amount of flawed logic. There's no way of knowing that one team had a proportionally greater amount of bad players, and the amount of games that mattered played by each team was the same.

xandaca

Really annoying that the maps don't change, especially when those chosen are among the least interesting in the set. At least there wasn't Bluefin Depot though.

Wikzo

I find it ironic that the Splatfest music tune is so pop-y, even when I'm on Team Rock (Europe). Would be nice if the music somehow changed to reflect the theme/team.

Europe still has about five hours left, BTW.

JC Lately

Bah. Popularity is meaningless. Results are all that matter. Team Cat won more battles with fewer people. If this were a US presidential election, Team Dog would be making a consession speach right now.

Dragoshi1

I wonder if Dog losses in Dog VS Dog matches counted, due to lack of cat players.

If that's the case, then it makes sense why Cats won the battles, since Dogs were mostly infighting.

I wonder if Dog losses in Dog VS Dog matches counted, due to lack of cat players.

If that's the case, then it makes sense why Cats won the battles, since Dogs were mostly infighting.

If the losses did count then so would the victories making it a zero-sum gain.

Besides the patch notes make not that infighting foes count for overall score calculation.

As a queen dog, this news please me.
Queen-Elizabeth-II-181131.jpg

Penguin

Bah. Popularity is meaningless. Results are all that matter. Team Cat won more battles with fewer people. If this were a US presidential election, Team Dog would be making a consession speach right now.

Wait... does that make Team Cat, President Bush then?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Why would popularity be a factor in deciding the winner? So pretty much from now on just pick the more popular side. It was obviously slanted to dogs when the shirts were first available. The matches that matter will end up close to 50% win/lose (the % of good and bad players on each side were probably similar) and then the popularity bonus will tip it in your favor. With this system in place there's no real reason to rep the less popular option because popularity is the deciding factor. You've already lost. When it comes down to it, Splatfest should just be looked at as a grind for Sea Snails. What a sad turn of events. :(

#teamcatreallywon

Broritos

Why would popularity be a factor in deciding the winner? So pretty much from now on just pick the more popular side. It was obviously slanted to dogs when the shirts were first available. The matches that matter will end up close to 50% win/lose (the % of good and bad players on each side were probably similar) and then the popularity bonus will tip it in your favor. With this system in place there's no real reason to rep the less popular option because popularity is the deciding factor. You've already lost. When it comes down to it, Splatfest should just be looked at as a grind for Sea Snails. What a sad turn of events. :(

#teamcatreallywon

I suspect future Splatfests will be even more one sided now that everyone knows how the winner is decided.

There will probably be huge reddit posts or something telling everyone to choose one side that way the majority of people get the Sea Snail bonus.

Aurora Sparkle

Neo Member
Dogs are more social animals, so I'm not surprised. It's a lot easier to love a dog that you don't own than a cat. Plus, dogs are simply smarter and more useful.

anneeyeroll_zpslsvnpjqa.gif

Also, it sucks that Splatfest ended up being a popularity contest rather than an actual competition.
Next time I'll just wait to see what team looks like it's has the most players and just join that one. Unfortunate. The Event itself was still fun though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

#teamcatreallywon

wasn't the win percentage two times as important as the popularity percentage in determining the winner?

superbank

wasn't the win percentage two times as important as the popularity percentage in determining the winner?

I don't know, I'm just going on what's been posted in here. Cats won the matches 51% to 49% but because popularity also factors in, the 51% win was not enough. How much weight is given to popularity is not important, that it has any at all is the problem.

I suspect future Splatfests will be even more one sided now that everyone knows how the winner is decided.

There will probably be huge reddit posts or something telling everyone to choose one side that way the majority of people get the Sea Snail bonus.

Yup I can see that happening. I hope there's enough backlash to make them change it. It's a flawed setup. Just go by win%.

random25

I don't know, I'm just going on what's been posted in here. Cats won the matches 51% to 49% but because popularity also factors in, the 51% win was not enough. How much weight is given to popularity is not important, that it has any at all is the problem.

Yup I can see that happening. I hope there's enough backlash to make them change it. It's a flawed setup. Just go by win%.

Nope. Just dominate the win %. If team cat just dominated their matches we wouldn't even be talking about it. More team dog members just mean more chances of losing matches but still team cat couldn't capitalize on it.

The Win porcentage is more important. The problem was that, even if Cats won more battles, it was still small difference of won battles compared with dogs.

Nope. Just dominate the win %. If team cat just dominated their matches we wouldn't even be talking about it. More team dog members just mean more chances of losing matches but still team cat couldn't capitalize on it.

Pretty much.

superbank

And as I pointed out in my first post a scenario like that is not feasible. There was an equal % of skilled-not skilled players on both teams, thus a close to 50% final result.

Just imagine if actual Splatoon matches were settled like this, lol. You get a 51% to 49% win but because your opponents were wearing a certain type of gear they get bonus points that tip the scale in their favor. It would be hilarious (in a bad way) but that's not how you judge a match. The actual win% is the only important factor here.

As I predicted, the win %s were so close to 50% that this is indeed just a giant popularity contest. lololololol

Team Cat better battlers though
not that I could tell from my teammates...

random25

And as I pointed out in my first post a scenario like that is not feasible. There was an equal % of skilled-not skilled players on both teams, thus a close to 50% final result.

Just imagine if actual Splatoon matches were settled like this, lol. You get a 51% to 49% win but because your opponents were wearing a certain type of gear they get bonus points that tip the scale in their favor. It would be hilarious (in a bad way) but that's not how you judge a match. The actual win% is the only important factor here.

But still more members doesn't mean more wins. It's a balancing factor especially when a team gets flooded with lesser skilled players. It's not like you can control who joins the team and at the same time it's not like you can control who you team up with. If it's a skill to skill match then I will agree with a win% only scoring ala ranked battle. But it's not like that in Splatfest.

Wikzo

Europe's Splatfest is now over. I have a feeling that a majority chose Team Rock, since it often took many minutes for my team to find opponents from Team Pop. Anecdotally speaking, Team Rock won more matches than Team Pop.

Broritos

But still more members doesn't mean more wins. It's a balancing factor especially when a team gets flooded with lesser skilled players. It's not like you can control who joins the team and at the same time it's not like you can control who you team up with. If it's a skill to skill match then I will agree with a win% only scoring ala ranked battle. But it's not like that in Splatfest.

Splatfest should exactly be like that. The winner should be decided by which team won the most.

exfatal

#teamcatreallywon

DDDAAMMN THAT SALT.. Are all cats like this? you say popularity doesn't matter but if u guys won a few matches or were a tad more popular u would have won regardless of the popularity boost we won by.... just seems like a good ol case of GET GUD!!!
God job fellow Dogs/Marie voters let the cats continue to be sour.

YO dawg! that was well said. that pussy cats dropped the ball when it counted.

Richie

TeamDog until I die, but I can sympathize with salty TeamCat folks, had it happened to my team it'd have been a kick in the balls hahaha.

Best pet still won though ;P

atr0cious

There was an equal % of skilled-not skilled players on both teams, thus a close to 50% final result.

That cat math, now I know where Judd get's it. This isn't possible when we dogs had the majority of the players. We actually had more, but were able to make up for our shitty terrible teammates.

Splatfest should exactly be like that. The winner should be decided by which team won the most.

It was, but ratio wise, 2% isn't enough to overcome having less than half the playing pool on your team. Someone in the OT said cats had to win 56% to win overall.

Nanashrew

Banned
That cat math, now I know where Judd get's it. This isn't possible when we dogs had the majority of the players. We actually had more, but had to make up for our shitty terrible teammates.

Splatoon helps strengthen your back muscles because you're going to be carrying a lot of people.

Formless

Pretty good getting new slots but (thankfully) since the perks don't drastically change things I'm ok with not re-rolling obsessively.

DDDAAMMN THAT SALT.. Are all cats like this? you say popularity doesn't matter but if u guys won a few matches or were a tad more popular u would have won regardless of the popularity boost we won by.... just seems like a good ol case of GET GUD!!!

You see, that's exactly our point: We performed better than Team Dog yet we lost.

Well, I had fun to be honest. I ended up teaming up with three awesome gals and guys for most of the splatfest and we kicked ass. So, if you're reading this Lisa, DarthLord and Lord Cat: you rock!, seriously, we were unstoppable!!!

superbank

All public matches in Splatoon, whether Ranked, Regular, or Splatfest are all the same. You're assigned random teammates and you try your best to make it work. For cats and dogs it was the same, different player pools but the results show that it was as even as it could be skill-wise. I never said more members meant more wins.

It doesn't matter if I'm team cat, team dog, with these results or a different result where cats won, the system is flawed. Now try addressing my points if you think you're right/I'm wrong. Wins should be the only factor determining who wins.

Broritos

That cat math, now I know where Judd get's it. This isn't possible when we dogs had the majority of the players. We actually had more, but were able to make up for our shitty terrible teammates.

It was, but ratio wise, 2% isn't enough to overcome having less than half the playing pool on your team. Someone in the OT said cats had to win 56% to win overall.

Then why didn't Team Cat win? It shouldn't matter how many players are on each side.

SalvaPot

So here is my theory. Remember when you won you got 5 points, but when you lose you get 2. If to determine the winner all they did was add those points, and Team Dog was more popular, then it makes sense Team Dog won since more points are added even if they lose, Team Cat would need to win 2 out of every 3 games to tie the score of a Team Dog.

The superior team won anyway #TeamDog

phanphare

Banned

nah, it's because all the leftover players from team dog had to play other left over members from team dog and those matches didn't count towards anything

expect the win percentages to be this close for every splatfest unless they change how they do it. it's just how it is, both teams will be evenly matched for matches that count and then the team with more players will have matches against their own team.

it will be funny if they actually have a splatfest theme where one side proves to be legitimately more skilled.

Broritos

So here is my theory. Remember when you won you got 5 points, but when you lose you get 2. If to determine the winner all they did was add those points, and Team Dog was more popular, then it makes sense Team Dog won since more points are added even if they lose, Team Cat would need to win 2 out of every 3 games to tie the score of a Team Dog.

The superior team won anyway #TeamDog

The only points that were counted were games where it was Team Cat vs. Team Dog. Team Dog vs. Team Dog matches didn't count towards the overall score.

Even if there were literally four people on one team and one million people on another, the team with the most wouldn't be getting more points because the only matches that counted were the ones where the million player team had to vs the four other players on the other team.

In which case the team with the most wins would not only win the most matches but also the most points.

random25

All public matches in Splatoon, whether Ranked, Regular, or Splatfest are all the same. You're assigned random teammates and you try your best to make it work. For cats and dogs it was the same, different player pools but the results show that it was as even as it could be skill-wise. I never said more members meant more wins.

Ranked battles have a much better control and filter of teammates simply because of being paired up and playing against equally ranked players. Turf wars don't need that because there's really nothing at stake than 300p bonus. Just in my first splatfest game, I got a teammate at lvl.1 and we're up against 3 lvl.20s and a lvl.14. How can that be a fair match ala turf war? That's why votes should matter even if it's just 33% of the total because having more members means more variable skill level of one team that can be unfavorable for an event where a good prize is at stake.

Besides, nobody knows the votes and even the win% until the end of the event. So unless every player who joins the event reads gaming forums to universally group together to join one side of the team, votes cannot be easily skewed to be unbalanced.

Top Bottom