• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Renegade Ops |OT| PC lesser race finally joins in the battle against oppression

For those having the game crash at startup - I know my version started at a weird resolution, like 1280 x 800. Possibly your monitor doesn't support that resolution and the game closes? I haven't looked at the .ini file yet, but perhaps forcing a resolution may help? Have no idea if this would work or is a common issue, just trying to run down what may be causing it, if it's not the redistributable.

eh..couldn't even find an .ini file. In My Documents, there's a Sega folder with a Renegade Ops directory leading to a Saves folder, and in that folder, there's a document titled Settings, but I can't open it, only tried WordPad though.

The vc redist exe file is located in the steamapps folder though.

...it just launches to a black screen.

I waited all this time and the game doesn't actually play.

Well...I'm definitely canceling my Sonic Generations pre-order.

chessnut

anyone wanna play co-op? i haven't started the campaign yet.

edit: ...when you post you're steam id, do people start randomly inviting u to join steam groups?

Truespeed

This game is so good. Reminds of those classic desert strike games. More importantly, it's not a quick and dirty console port - they took their time with this one.

GrayFoxPL

Truespeed said:
This game is so good. Reminds of those classic desert strike games. More importantly, it's not a quick and dirty console port - they took their time with this one.

Oh yeah!

InertiaXr

Truespeed said:
it's not a quick and dirty console port - they took their time with this one.

How's that? Seems like most people are unable to play it at all, and it's not like some PSN/XBLA game is going to push any computers less than 4 years old, so no need to 'optimize' or whatever developers/publishers use as an excuse to sell less PC games.

1-D_FTW

JacksUsername said:
For those having the game crash at startup - I know my version started at a weird resolution, like 1280 x 800. Possibly your monitor doesn't support that resolution and the game closes? I haven't looked at the .ini file yet, but perhaps forcing a resolution may help? Have no idea if this would work or is a common issue, just trying to run down what may be causing it, if it's not the redistributable.

eh..couldn't even find an .ini file. In My Documents, there's a Sega folder with a Renegade Ops directory leading to a Saves folder, and in that folder, there's a document titled Settings, but I can't open it, only tried WordPad though.

The vc redist exe file is located in the steamapps folder though.

You very well may be onto something. I launched at the same resolution even though it should have been 1080P.

jediyoshi

InertiaXr said:
How's that? Seems like most people are unable to play it at all, and it's not like some PSN/XBLA game is going to push any computers less than 4 years old, so no need to 'optimize' or whatever developers/publishers use as an excuse to sell less PC games.

The PS3 and PC are basically the same architecture so you may very well be onto something.

jediyoshi

ShockingAlberto said:
What's apparently ridiculous is expecting a working product.
Or, you know, your idea in that a working product should be passed up because it didn't work in the past.

jediyoshi said:
Or, you know, your idea in that a working product should be passed up because it didn't work in the past.
People can take my recommendations for whatever they want. I'm saying that I feel disrespected as a customer being jerked around for the last month and now getting a product that doesn't work.

If it works at some point, it doesn't just suddenly make all that not have happened.

As such, if people want to listen to me when I say not to support companies that do shitty jobs, then they're more than free to.

duckroll

Okay, so the game works fine on my laptop, but not on my desktop. Interesting. Great game, but they really need to patch this bitch. Lol.

Truespeed

If you keep getting prompted to install the redistributable when you launch the game rename the following file in your Renegade Ops directory

installscript.vdf to installscript2.vdf

it should start up without the prompt now.

duckroll

Truespeed said:
If you keep getting prompted to install the redistributable when you launch the game rename the following file in your Renegade Ops directory

installscript.vdf to installscript2.vdf

it should start up without the prompt now.

It has nothing to do with the redist. For some computers the game just straight up won't start. The game itself crashes upon start up. Some people are speculating it has to do with a bug with 2 core cpu support.

Sysgen

ShockingAlberto said:
What's apparently ridiculous is expecting a working product.

Well for some it's working =) Not for me though. Who wants to start an Occupy SEGA movement. We could all wear our Sonic sneakers.

InertiaXr

duckroll said:
It has nothing to do with the redist. For some computers the game just straight up won't start. The game itself crashes upon start up. Some people are speculating it has to do with a bug with 2 core cpu support.

What if you have FOUR cores??

Is it just not using multiple cores at all (ala Cities XL I think) or is it just dual cores that are causing an issue, while quads are fine?

Truespeed

duckroll said:

This was just to eliminate it from asking me to install the redist each and every time I launched the game.

Turfster

Truespeed said:
No option to set keys, controls that suddenly change (tank controls for vehicles selected? Not yours in a chopper!), resolutions that get reset to default between missions...
I dunno, maybe they should have taken some more time? =p

duckroll said:
Okay, so the game works fine on my laptop, but not on my desktop. Interesting. Great game, but they really need to patch this bitch. Lol.
so much for fixing the game during its delay lulz.

duckroll

InertiaXr said:
What if you have FOUR cores??

Is it just not using multiple cores at all (ala Cities XL I think) or is it just dual cores that are causing an issue, while quads are fine?

My laptop is a Core i3 M330 with 2gig of ram. It runs fine. My desktop is a E8400 with 4gig of ram. Crashes on start. Both are dual core CPUs, but different types. So there's definitely more to the problem than just the number of cores.

duckroll said:
My laptop is a Core i3 M330 with 2gig of ram. It runs fine. My desktop is a E8400 with 4gig of ram. Crashes on start. Both are dual core CPUs, but different types. So there's definitely more to the problem than just the number of cores.

Is there anyway to see the supported resolutions for your PC monitor vs laptop? If the laptop supports 1280 x 880 and the PC monitor does not, I'm still wondering if that could be a problem. I'm not a tech head by any means, but I remember with the first Witcher game, it kept booting a black screen and then crashing and it was due to it trying to launch at an unsupported resolution.

duckroll

JacksUsername said:
Is there anyway to see the supported resolutions for your PC monitor vs laptop? If the laptop supports 1280 x 880 and the PC monitor does not, I'm still wondering if that could be a problem. I'm not a tech head by any means, but I remember with the first Witcher game, it kept booting a black screen and then crashing and it was due to it trying to launch at an unsupported resolution.

My laptop's max resolution is 1366x768, and my PC monitor's max resolution is 1920x1080. I don't know why any game would attempt to launch at 1280x880!

Kunohara

duckroll said:

I've got a E8400 with 4 gigs of RAM also. Crashes for me at startup.

I've heard of quad core guys getting the same thing, so doesn't sound like it could be that.

Who the fuck knows at this point.

duckroll said:
My laptop's max resolution is 1366x768, and my PC monitor's max resolution is 1920x1080. I don't know why any game would attempt to launch at 1280x880!

Hm, weird. If it was a resolution thing, I'd assume the problem would be the opposite. My monitor's 1920x1080 and yeah, it launched at 1280x800 (accidentally wrote 880 before) and 1_D-FTW said it launched at the resolution too. Even so, the 1920 x 1080 monitor should have at least displayed it distorted I would think, like it did on mine. I guess one last check if you have the time, under your options to change your screen resolution on the 1920 x 1080, is 1280x800 even selectable as an option? Oh well, glad to hear you can play it on your laptop, but it sucks you can't play it nice and big, and for the rest of the posters who can't play it at all. I would be super pissed especially after how botched the release has been :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Runs great here, sorry to hear the crashing problems from others, hopefully it gets figured out soon.

Perfect performance aside, my initial impressions of the game leave it feeling a bit off. Controls take some getting used to (gamepad), helicopter wasn't very fun (it boiled down to circle-strafing missiles in what feels like slow motion). The first level had constant timers with navigation pointers so you don't get to explore on your own very much. The terrain seems neat when there's jumps and hills, but they don't come up too often. I leveled up 8 times in the first mission, it wasn't very clear what I supposed to be doing, besides getting my health refilled. The story is not compelling, which is to be expected, but I'm not really enjoying the comic book style presentation as much as how it was done in Alice: Madness Returns. The weapon icons/upgrades in the game also seemed a bit confusing. Mostly minor complaints for me, that should go away with a few more hours of playing.

The graphics and explosions are enjoyable and plentiful, and it seems like there's probably a lot of variation with the various character combinations and co-op / multi mode.

Truespeed

Minsc said:
Runs great here, sorry to hear the crashing problems from others, hopefully it gets figured out soon.

Perfect performance aside, my initial impressions of the game leave it feeling a bit off. Controls take some getting used to (gamepad), helicopter wasn't very fun (it boiled down to circle-strafing missiles in what feels like slow motion). The first level had constant timers with navigation pointers so you don't get to explore on your own very much. The terrain seems neat when there's jumps and hills, but they don't come up too often. I leveled up 8 times in the first mission, it wasn't very clear what I supposed to be doing, besides getting my health refilled. The story is not compelling, which is to be expected, but I'm not really enjoying the comic book style presentation as much as how it was done in Alice: Madness Returns. The weapon icons/upgrades in the game also seemed a bit confusing. Mostly minor complaints for me, that should go away with a few more hours of playing.

The graphics and explosions are enjoyable and plentiful, and it seems like there's probably a lot of variation with the various character combinations and co-op / multi mode.

What type of control did you select? When I selected the tank control option the driving was so much better. I think it's defaulted to tank control off.

Truespeed

InertiaXr said:

Well, it supports DX10 so they obviously put some time into the PC version.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The wait was so worth it. This game is fucking awesome.

renegadeops2011-10-2616rm6.png

renegadeops2011-10-2610p1x.png

renegadeops2011-10-2622pjm.png

renegadeops2011-10-262sqrs.png

Okay, I just tried this and this works for me

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26044997&postcount=39

Gibbed said:
So, I made a "fix".

I quote this because while it seems to make the game run, forcing the game to detect your system as a quad-core seems to cause quite a bit of stuttering in the game. Now this could be my system is ♥♥♥♥ but I ran Just Cause 2 without much issues.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

http://mod.gib.me/renegadeops/dxgi.zip

Extract dxgi.dll to X:\Path\To\Steam\steamapps\common\renegade ops\.

What ridiculously sloppy work.

I am endlessly amused that someone on the Steam forums managed to fix in an hour what SEGA and Avalanche apparently couldn't fix in a month.

Psy-Phi

duckroll said:
If it were that simple you could set the executable to only use one core.

duckroll

Psy-Phi said:
If it were that simple you could set the executable to only use one core.

The issue is that the game seems to run when it is forced to detect 4 cores even on a 2 core system: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32175654&postcount=992

ShockingAlberto said:
I am endlessly amused that someone on the Steam forums managed to fix in an hour what SEGA and Avalanche apparently couldn't fix in a month.

It's not actually fixed though. While it runs, you will likely experience crashes throughout the game because it thinks your cpu has 4 cores but you only have 2.

LQX

What what the hell at the controls if you use a keyboard. You are going straight and the vehicle keeps turning left.

So frustrating especially being that I immediately fell in love with this game on the 360 but almost don't ant to load it up again on the PC.

Edit- found resolution options.

Truespeed

LQX said:
Would have bought it on the 360 for the fact alone that there are no resolution options. 2000 fucking 11 and they are releasing a game with no resolution options in the main menu.

And what what the hell at the controls if you use a keyboard. You are going straight and the vehicle keeps turning left.

So frustrating especially being that I immediately fell in love with this game on the 360 but almost don't ant to load it up again on the PC.

What are you talking about? You can easily change the resolution in the game.

duckroll

LQX said:
What what the hell at the controls if you use a keyboard. You are going straight and the vehicle keeps turning left.

Edit- found resolution options.

Try turning the tank controls on if you're playing with KB/M.

Top Bottom