• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

Hostile_18

Banned
Hostile_18 Hostile_18 is probably already on some sort of “Problem Customer List” at Sony

I'm on the Sony fan boy list for sure.

YVnalOI.jpg

I'm sorry for the coil whine, it is something very difficult to hear and accept. 3 friends of mine have the same problem. Only solution is to play by using headphones or just sell PS5 and buy a real premium console in terms of packaging, material used and construction, which is the Series X.
With SX you will not be disappointed from any noise.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I'm sorry for the coil whine, it is something very difficult to hear and accept. 3 friends of mine have the same problem. Only solution is to play by using headphones or just sell PS5 and buy a real premium console in terms of packaging, material used and construction, which is the Series X.
With SX you will not be disappointed from any noise.

Sadly the XSX also has some coil whien issues - doesn't seem to be as widespread as the PS5, but my unit as well as two of my friends also have coil whine, although the frequency isn't as high, so it's easier to ignore.

Hostile_18

Banned
Sadly the XSX also has some coil whien issues - doesn't seem to be as widespread as the PS5, but my unit as well as two of my friends also have coil whine, although the frequency isn't as high, so it's easier to ignore.

Sorry to hear that. The vast majority of the Series X's are truly silent. If mine wasnt believe me I'd know. PS5s I'd guess is about 40% chance of getting one without whine I'd say.

I think SX issues about coil whine (never heard it before) are within the percentage of every electronic device having defects. Instead, almost all Ps5 have coil whine. This is due to Sony not putting much silicone glue (or whatever it is called) on PS5's capacitors, whic causes them to produce the noise. MS instead used enough glue on those components and this problem is basically not present, apart very few cases as you were suggesting.
Once more, I repeat that the real premium console is the SX in every aspect, starting from packaging to come to console construction.

A2una1

Are you sleeping on your ps5s while playing? The coil whine on mine is so quiet I have to lay my ear on it.... Even my PC GPU has way louder coil whine then my console....

Is it this loud to you all so it is really that big a problem?

DarkBatman

Sorry to hear that. The vast majority of the Series X's are truly silent. If mine wasnt believe me I'd know. PS5s I'd guess is about 40% chance of getting one without whine I'd say.
I always have a problem with those "vast majority" comments.
How do we know? If the coil whine has a low frequency, a lot of people wouldn't notice it. So it could be a widespread issue people just see as "disc drive vibration" or other noises you can ignore.
I think SX issues about coil whine (never heard it before) are within the percentage of every electronic device having defects. Instead, almost all Ps5 have coil whine. This is due to Sony not putting much silicone glue (or whatever it is called) on PS5's capacitors, whic causes them to produce the noise. MS instead used enough glue on those components and this problem is basically not present, apart very few cases as you were suggesting.
Once more, I repeat that the real premium console is the SX in every aspect, starting from packaging to come to console construction.
Sorry, but this is just so wrong on so many levels.
Because you never heard of those problems it's within "the percentage of every electronic device"?
OK - and where are your numbers and sources for the "almost all PS5 have coil whine" comment?

Both consoles aren't "real premium" - forgot about the XSXs that just stopped working after a few hours and had to be replaced?
Yeah, that isn't real premium as well, eh?

Hostile_18

Banned
Are you sleeping on your ps5s while playing? The coil whine on mine is so quiet I have to lay my ear on it.... Even my PC GPU has way louder coil whine then my console....

Is it this loud to you all so it is really that big a problem?

I've had 4 PS5s now. If my new one is like yours I'll be over the moon.

DarkBatman

I've had 4 PS5s now. If my new one is like yours I'll be over the moon.
I think the real problem/question is whether it's your PS5s our your hearing.
I can hear my coil whine pretty well (thank god I can easily ignore it) while my wife can't hear anything.
So I hope it's really just your PS5, not your ears.. :messenger_grinning:

Hostile_18

Banned
How do we know? If the coil whine has a low frequency, a lot of people wouldn't notice it. So it could be a widespread issue people just see as "disc drive vibration" or other noises you can ignore.

Because you never heard of those problems it's within "the percentage of every electronic device"?
OK - and where are your numbers and sources for the "almost all PS5 have coil whine" comment?

Both consoles aren't "real premium" - forgot about the XSXs that just stopped working after a few hours and had to be replaced?

Woah someone's triggered. Theres numerous accounts of many users getting PS5 after PS5 with coil whine, its simply not the case for the Series X.

Go reading all game forums you want. I am Italian and I read Italian forums and also English ones. You better not know how many guys in Italy have coil whine problems with Ps5. Sony italian customer service hangs up when they hear problems with coil whine, because they are tired to replace so many console for the same issue, with other consoles having the same issues. You can read the first post of this thread to have confirm of that also.
SX has problems of course, but from what I read, they are perfectly normal and within the percentage as I said. I can state that based on what I read from all people posting in Italian forums and also here on Neogaf.
I know it is difficult to accept, sorry for that.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Woah someone's triggered. Theres numerous accounts of many users getting PS5 after PS5 with coil whine, its simply not the case for the Series X.
I'm not triggered at all. I just think some people need to have a better perspective to see that basically both companies sold a non-premium product.

Sony sold 3.5 million PS5 units - so where are the numbers that show that "unhappy PS5 owners with coil whine problems" exceed the normal percentage of faulty launch consoles?

I understand what you're doing - you're unhappy with the noise and want a PS5 without it. That's cool.
But that idiotic "THE OTHER CONSOLE IS WAY BETTER" BS just has to stop because we just don't know the numbers - easy as that.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think the real problem/question is whether it's your PS5s our your hearing.
I can hear my coil whine pretty well (thank god I can easily ignore it) while my wife can't hear anything.
So I hope it's really just your PS5, not your ears.. :messenger_grinning:

Well my Series X all other consoles have been silent in this respect but yes I am sensitive to coil whine. Its completely immersion breaking and annoying for me. For example I'm playing Alan Wake on the Series X at the moment. I'm in a deep creepy forest with the sound of wind and ambient noise (no orchestra to drown it out) if all I heard was a constant buzzing no way I'd enjoy the game anywhere near as much, it would totally take me out of the scene. 😊

I had a buzzing plug recently and my older parents who came to visit couldn't hear anything wheres for me it was clear as day. The electrician agreed with me.and once it was replaced blissful silence lol. Fan noise falls into the back ground so easily but coil wine I just can't stand it.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm not triggered at all. I just think some people need to have a better perspective to see that basically both companies sold a non-premium product.

Sony sold 3.5 million PS5 units - so where are the numbers that show that "unhappy PS5 owners with coil whine problems" exceed the normal percentage of faulty launch consoles?

I understand what you're doing - you're unhappy with the noise and want a PS5 without it. That's cool.
But that idiotic "THE OTHER CONSOLE IS WAY BETTER" BS just has to stop because we just don't know the numbers - easy as that.

True, but after 4 PS5's it's hard for me not to agree when someone says the *build quality* is better than the PS5 but that is coloured by my horrible experience. We are trying to get more evidence of the larger picture, each console now has a hardware fault poll to try and add more validity against people who come in and talk about extremes (either way).

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Go reading all game forum you want. I am Italian and I read Italian forums and also English ones. You better not know how many guys in Italy have coil whine problems with Ps5. Sony italian customer service hangs up when they hear problems with coil whine, because they are tired to replace so many console for the same issue, with other consoles having the same issues. You can read the first post of this thread to have confirm of that also.
SX has problems of course, but from what I read, they are perfectly normal and within the percentage as I said. I can state that based on what I read from all people posting in Italian forums and also here on Neogaf.
I know it is difficult to accept, sorry for that.
Okay: I read a lot of gaming forums in Germany and the MS customer service in Germany also hangs up because they don't want to replace faulty XSX units that won't turn on anymore.

Did I do that right? You see that this doesn't mean anything - even if I would show you 5.000 people who had this problem, it would still be the normal percentage, right?
True, but after 4 PS5's it's hard for me not to agree when someone says the *build quality* is better than the PS5 but that is coloured by my horrible experience. We are trying to get more evidence of the larger picture, each console now has a hardware fault poll to try and add more validity against people who come in and talk about extremes (either way).
Yeah, sure - and I had one XSX that died right away. That isn't premium quality as well.
So you see: I'm not triggered, I just try to level with people who try to go those extreme "that is bad, this is super-premium" ways, because when comparing PS5 to XSX, there's basically no "worst of all time" or "premium" atm.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Coil whine is normal lol

The times we live in
It is. I never ever hadn't a pc without coil whine. It's always either gpu or psu. Once I had mobo with noisy power section of the cpu which whined as I moved my mouse. It's electronics and all completely normal. Don't focus on it, You will never hear it normally.
My 3080 now whines like a motherfucker. louder at 30 fps even than 60fps. I DO NOT CARE... well to a point. It can be annoying and I always go for quiet setup.
My ps5 will be here tomorrow, so I will check how it is

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I guess that makes us both pretty hypersensitive since you felt the need to chime in on a issue you don't think is a defect. I don't have any consumer electronic devices that exhibited the level of noise my PS5 made. It's not just Sony that seems to think its a problem because even MS thought coil whine should be addressed. I'm just glad someone cares about us hypersensitive folk.

Y8QrKdM.png
The goop is just a theory and don't help in case of coils in those square boxes at all. It's the metal rolled sheet inside that's vibrating. Gooping the outside does nothing

Reactions: GHG
Okay: I read a lot of gaming forums in Germany and the MS customer service in Germany also hangs up because they don't want to replace faulty XSX units that won't turn on anymore.

Did I do that right? You see that this doesn't mean anything - even if I would show you 5.000 people who had this problem, it would still be the normal percentage, right?

Yeah, sure - and I had one XSX that died right away. That isn't premium quality as well.
So you see: I'm not triggered, I just try to level with people who try to go those extreme "that is bad, this is super-premium" ways, because when comparing PS5 to XSX, there's basically no "worst of all time" or "premium" atm.
I do not want to play this game with you. The real premium console is the Series X, I repeat once more. You can look at packaging, material used (Ps5 black middle part is something really obscene) and Ps5 faulty pad (at least in Italian forums, there are so many people having pads with adaptive triggers that breaks after a while).
Moreover, having more power in a smaller box is something great.
And plus, even if this is personal: PS5 requests a stand in every condition, and that's something obscene as well for me.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
It is. I never ever hadn't a pc without coil whine. It's always either gpu or psu. Once I had mobo with noisy power section of the cpu which whined as I moved my mouse. It's electronics and all completely normal. Don't focus on it, You will never hear it normally.
My 3080 now whines like a motherfucker. louder at 30 fps even than 60fps. I DO NOT CARE... well to a point. It can be annoying and I always go for quiet setup.
My ps5 will be here tomorrow, so I will check how it is

Spending all that money on a 3080 that whines really bad 🤯 Each to their own but I'd rather a less impressive graphics card that plays a lot quieter. It been a while since I built a gaming PC but mine never had coil whine.

I guess that makes us both pretty hypersensitive since you felt the need to chime in on a issue you don't think is a defect. I don't have any consumer electronic devices that exhibited the level of noise my PS5 made. It's not just Sony that seems to think its a problem because even MS thought coil whine should be addressed. I'm just glad someone cares about us hypersensitive folk.

Y8QrKdM.png
This is making difference between a premium console, and the other one 😉

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Spending all that money on a 3080 that whines really bad 🤯 Each to their own but I'd rather a less impressive graphics card that plays a lot quieter. It been a while since I built a gaming PC but mine never had coil whine.
It sounds like hard drive to be real. All 3080 founders editions sound like that. It's just how it is.
I guarantee Your had coil whine.. You didn't hear it or did not look deep enough :p

Last edited:

DarkBatman

I do not want to play this game with you. The real premium console is the Series X, I repeat once more. You can look at packaging, material used (Ps5 black middle part is something really obscene) and Ps5 faulty pad (at least in Italian forums, there are so many people having pads with adaptive triggers that breaks after a while).
Moreover, having more power in a smaller box is something great.
And plus, even if this is personal: PS5 requests a stand in every condition, and that's something obscene as well for me.
You just did and you lost: Even Series X isn't premium. There are a lot of problems with that console as well, so it's far from premium - even if it doesn't have coil whine problems.
Even if you throw ten comments from Italien forums at me. That doesn't mean anything.

You just did and you lost: Even Series X isn't premium. There are a lot of problems with that console as well, so it's far from premium - even if it doesn't have coil whine problems.
Even if you throw ten comments from Italien forums at me. That doesn't mean anything.
I have already explained why SX is premium, and why PS5 is not.
It is not a problem if you cannot see the same.
Goodbye.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's got coil whine on Spiderman. Not as loud or as sharp as before though. If this is the best of the 4 units might be time to keep this one.

Interestingly the difference between 60fps and normal isn't much different as compared to my previous console, which is good as I dont have to choose between acoustics or frame rate. You can definitely tell the console is on but it's no where near as annoying as units 1 and 2.

I'll look at revisions down the road but I think I can live with this one. If it does improve over time like some consoles do I'll be onto a real winner.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
sounds like i may hold off until a slight hardware revision or Sony addresses this problem, i have a jet engine Pro and game in my living room in the evenings so i want a whisper fucking quiet console

The goop is just a theory and don't help in case of coils in those square boxes at all. It's the metal rolled sheet inside that's vibrating. Gooping the outside does nothing
Then MS added it for no reason. It is just a coincidence that the XSX is silent and Hostile_18 Hostile_18 and I had coil whine on our PS5s. Until Sony does the same thing with their PS5 I'm inclined to believe that the goop makes a difference.

It's got coil whine on Spiderman. Not as loud or as sharp as before though. If this is the best of the 4 units might be time to keep this one.

Interestingly the difference between 60fps and normal isn't much different as compared to my previous console, which is good as I dont have to choose between acoustics or frame rate. You can definitely tell the console is on but it's no where near as annoying as units 1 and 2.

I'll look at revisions down the road but I think I can live with this one. If it does improve over time like some consoles do I'll be onto a real winner.
So all PS5s you had have coil whine. I refuse to believe it is just an MS invented plot. It really does come down to if it bothers you or not. At least it sounds tolerable to you but it does not bode well for me. I'll find out in 10 hours or so.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

I have already explained why SX is premium, and why PS5 is not.
It is not a problem if you cannot see the same.
Goodbye.
Yes, and you failed. And after understanding you fail to present one valid comment, you decide to flee the discussion.
Pretty sad. But hey: Have fun with your PREMIUM console. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sounds like i may hold off until a slight hardware revision or Sony addresses this problem, i have a jet engine Pro and game in my living room in the evenings so i want a whisper fucking quiet console
I also had a jet engine Pro and can't hear my PS5 in comparison although there is some degree of coil whine. You can get used to it pretty fast.
Might be worth a try. You can always send it back.

Hope you'll be happy with it after some more hours. Would be great to see the positive end of your journey.

Pug

On you tube I saw a video where a guy located the coil sound to the power supply on the PS5, it was capacitor buzzing I think. He took the Series X power supply apart also and it had like a glue substance placed around the capacitors, which he though was there to reduce the buzzing sound. I'm sure Sony will soon sort this.

Kerotan

What about in terms of games? Seems they forgot about that.

Hostile_18

Banned
Then MS added it for no reason. It is just a coincidence that the XSX is silent and Hostile_18 Hostile_18 and I had coil whine on our PS5s. Until Sony does the same thing with their PS5 I'm inclined to believe that the goop makes a difference.

So all PS5s you had have coil whine. I refuse to believe it is just an MS invented plot. It really does come down to if it bothers you or not. At least it sounds tolerable to you but it does not bode well for me. I'll find out in 10 hours or so.

Hopefully yours is acceptable if not silent mate. Be sure to let us know how you get on. I'm sure we can sell at at least half price down the road and get a revision/limited edition if we so choose.

Dont forget Spiderman is a "torture test app" Astros Playroom (is) and Demon Souls (likely) are silent. I'm glad I can finally enjoy PS5 games at last.

Congrats on your "acceptable" PS5! You waited long enough, you've earned it :)

DarkBatman

Objectively speaking Series X has the build quality, Playstation the games but that's nothing new every console has strengths and weaknesses (more than the two I mentioned) 😊.
It's basically the same every generation.
Sony will work on the quality, MS on the games. And after one year they'll pretty much be on the same level.

Yes, and you failed. And after understanding you fail to present one valid comment, you decide to flee the discussion.
Pretty sad. But hey: Have fun with your PREMIUM console.
I presented many valid reasons to show SX is a premium console, while PS5 is not. Other were presented by other guys (Pug for instance about coil whine). The one failing at not understand is you. And after this post, I will really stop talking with you.
Enjoy your PS5.

What about in terms of games? Seems they forgot about that.
Calm down. We are not speaking about games. And if you want to speak about them, I am honest enough to say that MS is behind Sony about this factor.
But MS is doing major investments to acquire new studios, so I hope they will improve a lot in 2-3 years from now.

DarkBatman

I presented many valid reasons to show SX is a premium console, while PS5 is not. Other were presented by other guys (Pug for instance about coil whine). The one failing at not understand is you. And after this post, I will really stop talking with you.
Enjoy your PS5.
Many valid reasons = A lot of people in Italian Forums did call the Sony costumer service and you don't like the PS5's stand?
Wow. I'm impressed, that's a lot of reasons...
And great you broke your "I now I'm not answering" code to present nothing new to the discussion. Bravo!

Honestly: Both consoles have a lot of problems, but nothing indicates those exceed the general faulty percentage of new hardware.
Especially because things like "coil whine" aren't really faulty hardware, just a normal sound that can be annoying to some players due to a high frequency.
Even the PS4 Pro had it and it wasn't such a big deal - only for some people who couldn't stand the sound.

You know what real problems are? Hard crashes, artifacts and consoles that won't turn on after some hours of gaming.
Both PS5 and XSX seem to have those problems - and therefore can't be called "premium" imo.

Calm down. We are not speaking about games. And if you want to speak about them, I am honest enough to say that MS is behind Sony about this factor.
But MS is doing major investments to acquire new studios, so I hope they will improve a lot in 2-3 years from now.
"Calm down"? That was a fact, plain and simple.
You should calm down... Having an honest discussion is great, but this defence warrior thing just isn't fun.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Happy for you Hostile_18 Hostile_18
Always read these threads and cry a little because I sent mine back to amazon and didn't try to send it to Sony.
Mine had audible coil whine on Astro, lol.

I will have to wait even longer but if my future console will be quiet it will be worth it.

Cheers bud. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to wait 2 months and 4 consoles later 😂 Hope you get sorted soon! 😁

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I've played Astro, Demon's souls, Yakusa Like a Dragon and Destiny 2 (PS5 version) so far and didn't experience any noise at all.
My gaming PC however did have some coil whine, it's very audible and quite annoying even though i'm used to it.
My fridge buzz loudly every x hours and i can hear it from another room when it happen.
My 2013's PS4 could pass for a hair dryer most of the time
So i can hear all of these fellas but i can't hear my PS5 so far... silent PS5 DO exist, i swear.

Yep, i have one too

Mortal Kombat PS5 60 FPS = Silent
Astros Play Room PS5 60FPS = Silent
Spiderman PS5 60fps = Very Mild

I'm happy so far! 😁 I think its guaranteed all my PS4 games will be silent.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot! I wonder how many people actually have PS5s like your new one. I'm not sure I want to go through sending mine in over and over again to get a quiet one when buying a new one didn't even get me that, but I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end!

I got my first and only one in mid December and it was and still is silent, so what this tells me (or at least seems to be) that certain locations/shipments received these noisy units.
My first was a pre order from Best Buy, and my second was straight from PS Direct. I think it’s more likely that there’s just a lot of variation in noise output in these things right now and you need to be lucky to get a quiet one, but what do I know.

Hostile_18

Banned
Sounds like you hit the jackpot! I wonder how many people actually have PS5s like your new one. I'm not sure I want to go through sending mine in over and over again to get a quiet one when buying a new one didn't even get me that, but I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Well all the exchanged units are new, there are no refurbs yet. But I can totally understand not wanting to go through all that. Demon Souls is also quiet as expected 😁

cash_longfellow cash_longfellow DarkMage619 DarkMage619 any updates? 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom