• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Well all the exchanged units are new, there are no refurbs yet. But I can totally understand not wanting to go through all that. Demon Souls is also quiet as expected 😁

cash_longfellow cash_longfellow DarkMage619 DarkMage619 any updates? 😁
Yep....just got finished updating about an hour ago. Console is whisper quiet. Tried Immortals on performance mode and heard no coil whine with TV on mute from 8 ft on my couch. I can actually hear the fan a tiny bit for the first time lol. As far as crashes turning off the console go. I am testing a game that did it twice in about an hour on my old console, have played about 40 minutes with no crashes. Fingers crossed so far so good. Oh, this one was manufactured in December whereas my old one was September.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yep....just got finished updating about an hour ago. Console is whisper quiet. Tried Immortals on performance mode and heard no coil whine with TV on mute from 8 ft on my couch. I can actually hear the fan a tiny bit for the first time lol. As far as crashes turning off the console go. I am testing a game that did it twice in about an hour on my old console, have played about 40 minutes with no crashes. Fingers crossed so far so good. Oh, this one was manufactured in December whereas my old one was September.

Oh wow that's brilliant news! 2 down one to go! 😁

FrankWza

I presented many valid reasons to show SX is a premium console, while PS5 is not. Other were presented by other guys (Pug for instance about coil whine). The one failing at not understand is you. And after this post, I will really stop talking with you.
Enjoy your PS5.
You got lucky with your Xbox. As you can see here, the fault rate is at 7% and climbing. Especially when the console gets pushed with next gen exclusives. The problem then will be that you’ll be outside your warranty.

Master53654

Neo Member
Yep the mildest whine on Spiderman, spot on on everything else so far. Definitely the best of my four! No manufacturing date on mine, unless its elsewhere than normal.
Have you checked next to the serial number to see if there is any manufacturing date and also do you have the teardown fan as we seen from the teardown video?

Master53654

Neo Member
Does your ps5 have a teardown fan?I'm really curious of how many teardown fans are out there.

You got lucky with your Xbox. As you can see here, the fault rate is at 7% and climbing. Especially when the console gets pushed with next gen exclusives. The problem then will be that you’ll be outside your warranty.

A sample size of 300? Come on brah

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
cash_longfellow cash_longfellow Is your ps5 purchaed in the UK or US and which store did you purchase it from?Is your ps5 a replacement unit?Have you played games like spider man miles morals or Assassins creed valhalla?
I got mine from Playstation Direct initially. I just received a replacement today and am testing it out. So far so good. I played Immortals for a bit. I have Valhalla, but not going to get into it until after some of the bugs are worked out.

FrankWza

A sample size of 300? Come on brah
This one has under 700 but apparently the issues are cemented. Come on thong

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You are very lucky to have a ps5 with no coil whine.
Thanks! A little coil whine would have been okay, I just wanted the system crashes to go away. It's scary when it green screens and shuts the console down completely. Very happy with the replacement so far. Also, I am in the US. If anyone was wondering, the turnaround was exactly one week from the time the repair box arrived to the time I received the replacement. Thursday to Thursday. Really happy about the speed of that too.

Master53654

Neo Member
Thanks! A little coil whine would have been okay, I just wanted the system crashes to go away. It's scary when it green screens and shuts the console down completely. Very happy with the replacement so far. Also, I am in the US. If anyone was wondering, the turnaround was exactly one week from the time the repair box arrived to the time I received the replacement. Thursday to Thursday. Really happy about the speed of that too.
You can try to reinstall the system software by using a usb stick or you could factory reset your ps5 to see if the system crashes goes away.Other than that,your ps5 is perfect.

Well i've played a few hours of Demon's souls and didn't hear anything at all even with the sound off.

This hollyday an old friend of mine came to my house with his 15 years old son. While the two of us casually chat over a drink and play a card game in the living room, the son played Destiny 2 (60fps) beside us for more than 2 hours straight with sound off. No one hear any sound from the PS5 2 meters away. I mean not even a faint buzz, nothing at all. The only sound was the button smashing on the dualsense and some grunt in the hardest times ;)

So i don't know if i'm just the lucky one, but unless i put my ear like 30 cm from the console in total silence (then i do hear a faint noise) it's totally inaudible... In fact, only the white lights of the console tell me it's on.

I just wish you get the same model as mine ^^
My PS5 became like this over time
At first there was random coil whine noise sounded like a jackhammer
System ran hot too
Now it is suddenly cool and quiet as hell
My TV is muted, and I can 't hear my PS5 at all

Last edited:

Master53654

Neo Member
My PS5 became like this over time
At first there was random coil whine noise sounded like a jackhammer
System ran hot too
Now it is suddenly cool and quiet as hell
My TV is muted, and I can 't hear my PS5 at all
Is your ps5 purchased in the UK or US?What is the manufacture date for your ps5?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You can try to reinstall the system software by using a usb stick or you could factory reset your ps5 to see if the system crashes goes away.Other than that,your ps5 is perfect.
No, that was the one I replaced that was doing that. The replacement I got today is golden so far 😃

No, that was the one I replaced that was doing that. The replacement I got today is golden so far 😃
Asking just in case my PS5 starts making loud coil whine noises again
During the replacement process, did Sony ask you to send your faulty unit in?
All I want is a guaranteed completely silent never coil whine PS5
My PS5 is silent enough but the random loud coil whine is annoying
I also don't want to part with my PS5 as I'm addicted

I've played Astro, Demon's souls, Yakusa Like a Dragon and Destiny 2 (PS5 version) so far and didn't experience any noise at all.
My gaming PC however did have some coil whine, it's very audible and quite annoying even though i'm used to it.
My fridge buzz loudly every x hours and i can hear it from another room when it happen.
My 2013's PS4 could pass for a hair dryer most of the time
So i can hear all of these fellas but i can't hear my PS5 so far... silent PS5 DO exist, i swear.

It's ok you have the right to own a silent PS5. Hopefully everyone that gets one has a unit that's just as silent.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Asking just in case my PS5 starts making loud coil whine noises again
During the replacement process, did Sony ask you to send your faulty unit in?
All I want is a guaranteed completely silent never coil whine PS5
My PS5 is silent enough but the random loud coil whine is annoying
I also don't want to part with my PS5 as I'm addicted
I also had a hard time calling to support knowing I would be without mine for a bit lol. Yea, I had to send mine in. They sent an empty box with a shipping label. I packed it up and shipped it to them. Once they received it, they shipped my replacement to me.

FrankWza

That is what I am thinking too. When they realized the complaints they were getting throughout November, they probably modified the manufacturing process to fix it.
I would say this is highly unlikely unless they modified the process at one factory. Not the entire process. Not everywhere.Not this quick. It’s probably lower standards and or components coming from one place. I was trying to figure that out when all of these coil whine threads started but there isn’t any interest in that. Just complaining. The easiest thing to do is check manufacturing date and fan type. Other than one or two confirmations we’ve had nothing shared. If you can pretty much confirm that you’re good with the teardown fan, which seems to be the case, then at least you can have an idea if your system will be good going forward if the others have the majority of the issues. There may be a correlation with lesser components used beyond just the fan when they are coming from that factory or factories. You would still need to open the PS5 packaging to check but it’s a start. I have a teardown fan in mine and it’s quiet.

This one has under 700 but apparently the issues are cemented. Come on thong

You got lucky with your Xbox. As you can see here, the fault rate is at 7%

You don't see the irony in your post do you?

Well all the exchanged units are new, there are no refurbs yet. But I can totally understand not wanting to go through all that. Demon Souls is also quiet as expected 😁

cash_longfellow cash_longfellow DarkMage619 DarkMage619 any updates? 😁
I'm glad you guys got consoles that are quieter. Mine is considerably louder. It has a melodic hum when it is downloading something in rest mode and the fan is much louder. It's almost loud enough to drown out the coil whine but that is just about as bad as my original system hard to tell for sure over the fan. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to send this one back too but it's almost comical how much louder it is. You and even hear the fans loudly spin down when you turn the system off. It's amazing. It's clear that Sony wasn't nearly as concerned with a silent system as MS.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm glad you guys got consoles that are quieter. Mine is considerably louder. It has a melodic hum when it is downloading something in rest mode and the fan is much louder. It's almost loud enough to drown out the coil whine but that is just about as bad as my original system hard to tell for sure over the fan. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to send this one back too but it's almost comical how much louder it is. You and even hear the fans loudly spin down when you turn the system off. It's amazing. It's clear that Sony wasn't nearly as concerned with a silent system as MS.
Don't accept that for a second mate! There us clearly huge variances between units if people who are sensitive to coil whine like myself are noticing different results. No way you want that for seven years.

GHG

Sony right now:

5c338b421b0ebbcdf8320cb803976273.gif

Does anyone remember how Sony has handled warranty replacements with minor console revisions in the past? From my understanding, the consoles that people send in with issues are repaired/refurbished and then later sent out to other customers as replacements. If this is true, and we could reasonably expect a very minor revision of the console by the summer like the PS4, wouldn't they be sending out the consoles that everyone is sending back right now as replacements until they use them up? At this point, all of the replacement consoles Sony is sending out are supposedly brand new PS5s that were set aside specifically for the purpose of replacing faulty units, but at some point should we expect them to start sending refurbs? I can't see how Sony will be able to replace a launch-ish unit with a revised model within a year if this is the case. That is assuming a revision would even address this issue, they may very well just leave it as the vast majority of people don't seem to be talking about it, whether it's present on their consoles or not.

Hostile_18

Banned
Fucking hell OP, imagine getting 4 replacements for bloody coil whine. You are wasting replacements for those who actually have issues with their consoles.
My console has coil whine and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Good for you, but for others it is an issue. Imagine paying £450 for a machine that buzzes every time you use it.. oh wait you did 😜

Don't put the blame on the end user put it on Sony's shitty manufacturing process.

Zoro7

Banned
Good for you, but for others it is an issue. Imagine paying £450 for a machine that buzzes every time you use it.. oh wait you did 😜

Don't put the blame on the end user put it on Sony's shitty manufacturing process.
Imagine being so anal that a slight buzz annoys you. You must be the joy of all parties!

DonJorginho

Banned
I can't believe that in 2021 people don't understand that some people's ears are more vulnerable to certain frequencies than most others would be.

Of course coil whine is not a massive issue for the majority of people, but those who do find it annoying will find it extremely so, as an audiophile who can pick up frequencies, coil whine is something I can hear through people speaking and a TV being on with stuff playing on it with a high volume, thankfully my PS5's coil whine has seemed to improve somewhat with myself not picking it up as much as before, I plan to get a replacement down the line once revisions come but it is not something I am in desperate need of right now, I am just happy to have the console itself, without any issues other than the whining.

I don't think anyone has the right to throw abuse at someone for their decision, at the end of the day we have all paid a large amount of cash for these consoles, if you're not happy with the quality of the product you have received it is your right to raise it with the supplier. Just because you wouldn't be unhappy with a certain issue doesn't mean everyone else has to suck it up, and what people do with their own purchases shouldn't be something that concerns you anyway.

Hostile_18

Banned
You are trolling at this point. If you have an amazing sound system then there is no way this coil whine will ruin that. Enjoy my ignore list!

He probably won't see this but its pretty obvious you can have the best sound system in the world but you still have to play silent/quiet scenes regardless.

Oh well, I had to defend myself 😂

cmF4t3M.jpg

Hostile_18

Banned
This is the times that convince me to just wait 2022/23, at least, for buy a PS5.

If your sensitive to coul whine and can't be arsed luck of the draw/swapping definitely.

It's weird but it feels strange now just playing with no external noise. Like I've never been so grateful for a feature I'd just assumed the PS5 would have 😂.

3liteDragon

This is why I haven't gotten either console yet, is it safe to get one now if the coil whine issue's fixed?

What's the latest manufactured date you guys have?

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
If your sensitive to coul whine and can't be arsed luck of the draw/swapping definitely.

It's weird but it feels strange now just playing with no external noise. Like I've never been so grateful for a feature I'd just assumed the PS5 would have 😂.
Not much.

But since I don't have the impulse to having a PS5 for now, (because I always wait some year before buy a new console), this is just another extra reason, I suppose

Top Bottom