• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
with the noise my Pro makes playing Days Gone, ima keeping close eye on this whole PS5 noise issue and may possibly wait for a Rev2 version

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It appears someone has drew on it with a red pen/pencil.

Is it the thing you can see in the middle of the PS5? It's not due to heat, it's something on the underside of the shell (the grip things or whatever), I can see it on mine when I look at it from an angle, it's on both sides btw. If you look at the bottom of it carefully, you can see where the grip things are there, too.
IMG1.jpg

so it’s like a stress mark from my master piece transformers days...

I’ve moved my ps5 a hand full of times since I got it, haven’t removed the shell and it already stressing. they want you to take the shell off to add an sdd. Hope when it breaks doesn’t leave a hole in the lid.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
My PS5 has Coil Whine too OP, it isn't that bad and was pondering a replacement, for now I will holdback and wait for my retailer I bought it off to get more stock for a replacement that way, mine seems to fluctuate really strangely, for example the first few times I played Cyberpunk no coil whine at all, then last few times, after an hour or so I can hear it, it completely dies in the menus then comes back when playing, this is never heard with the TV volume on but is strange indeed, Sony haven't done the same work Xbox did with their PSUs to ground the coils with that isolating silver goopy stuff.

Hostile_18

Banned
My PS5 has Coil Whine too OP, it isn't that bad and was pondering a replacement, for now I will holdback and wait for my retailer I bought it off to get more stock for a replacement that way, mine seems to fluctuate really strangely, for example the first few times I played Cyberpunk no coil whine at all, then last few times, after an hour or so I can hear it, it completely dies in the menus then comes back when playing, this is never heard with the TV volume on but is strange indeed, Sony haven't done the same work Xbox did with their PSUs to ground the coils with that isolating silver goopy stuff.

I'm playing on Cyberpunk now. It's a constant buzzing but did notice it stopped on the title card screen. But even the intro video cut scene triggered it.

I'm playing on Cyberpunk now. It's a constant buzzing but did notice it stopped on the title card screen. But even the intro video cut scene triggered it.
It is based on how hard the PS5 is working. When I play the updated Destiny 2, in menus the whine is a little quieter but once I get to running and gunning it whines loudly. It is really a shame Sony didn't take more care with their build quality.

DonJorginho

Banned
It is based on how hard the PS5 is working. When I play the updated Destiny 2, in menus the whine is a little quieter but once I get to running and gunning it whines loudly. It is really a shame Sony didn't take more care with their build quality.
Same here bro, in AC Valhalla if you move the camera like mad you here the PSU changing it's frequency depending on what is on screen, I am glad mine isn't as bad as others but for the money I expected better. Will get a replacement once we find out about stealth revisions solving this.

Same here bro, in AC Valhalla if you move the camera like mad you here the PSU changing it's frequency depending on what is on screen, I am glad mine isn't as bad as others but for the money I expected better. Will get a replacement once we find out about stealth revisions solving this.
Exactly! That is probably the best way to handle it. I can't say my system itself doesn't work well. It just sucks to see something like this happen considering how much money was invested in its development. The funny thing was Sony was aware of the noise their previous consoles but thought the fan was the only thing that could cause noise.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Fan noise I dont mind, the PS5 disc spinning is no issue. But buzzing is a completley different noise that drives me crazy. I can hear it anywhere in the room.

Never had an issue with any other console ever, well apart from the 360 red ring. Certainly not two in a row.

That really sucks. You don't want your console driving you crazy, especially since you're almost there already 🤣

Joking aside, I'm really sorry to hear your problem is even worse with the replacement. I remember how excited you were for your PS5 and Demon Souls. It's really too bad that you're having problems, did you at least get to finish DS before sending the 1st console back?

Ignore the trolls giving you a hard time for wanting your brand new console to meet your expectations. You should be able to game on it without issues that take away from your enjoyment. Here's hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

TalentedMrJ

Decided to go the PS5 repair centre route after Amazon UK couldnt/wouldn't replace it as they have no system to prioritise purchasers with faulty units... So contacted Sony support not one apology ever, waited 16 days without a PS5. "Replacement" came today, the second I start a game its noisy as fuck, OS silent. Can't of been tested or someone elses return.

Honestly at this point I'm close to packing it in. This is the worst console launch I've ever experienced (in terms of hardware issues). Spent hundreds with Sony (have over 400 digital games) but this is an absolute shit show. At this rate I'll be playing a polished version of Cyberpunk... 😡

I'll update when I've phoned the support line AGAIN.

1st I'd like to say I'm sorry for your misfortune
2nd I'd like to thank you for beta testing the console for me and others that will be buying in the future

Your contribution is greatly appreciated and crucial for future units to run optimally

base

Banned
Sony support? Yeah, trying to call them since yesterday cause my old number got lost and I can't log in to my account. Well calling 10 times now and still no good.

Hostile_18

Banned
That really sucks. You don't want your console driving you crazy, especially since you're almost there already 🤣

Joking aside, I'm really sorry to hear your problem is even worse with the replacement. I remember how excited you were for your PS5 and Demon Souls. It's really too bad that you're having problems, did you at least get to finish DS before sending the 1st console back?

Ignore the trolls giving you a hard time for wanting your brand new console to meet your expectations. You should be able to game on it without issues that take away from your enjoyment. Here's hoping the 3rd time is the charm.

Thank you! I got well over half way with Demon Souls. Spiderman and Valhalla I havent even booted yet. I'm giving Cyberpunk a blast for an hour or so before this one goes back. If the third one isnt great ill just put up with it and swap when there is a revision.

At least I have my Series X for what will likely be a month of returns lol. I do feel a little bit let down by Mark Cerny after the tech dive went on so much about how much emphasis they put on a quiet running system.

Mr.ODST

Thank you! I got well over half way with Demon Souls. Spiderman and Valhalla I havent even booted yet. I'm giving Cyberpunk a blast for an hour or so before this one goes back. If the third one isnt great ill just put up with it and swap when there is a revision.

At least I have my Series X for what will likely be a month of returns lol. I do feel a little bit let down by Mark Cerny after the tech dive went on so much about how much emphasis they put on a quiet running system.

My Coil Whine was so bad I sold my system rather than get a replacement, just going to wait until they have fixed the hardware before I buy another.

reinking

Gold Member
How loud does coil whine get? I am honestly asking because I have never experienced it. I never realized it could be that loud.

Hostile_18

Banned
How loud does coil whine get? I am honestly asking because I have never experienced it. I never realized it could be that loud.

Its not so much its loud, loud. Its just a constant annoying buzzing/straining sound that you can here anytime the music is remotely ambient. I can see some people not noticing at all and for others it's a super annoying distraction. I'd much prefer fan noise than this.

Easiest way to tell is put the tv on mute and load a game. You'll definitely hear a change/buzzing if you've got it bad.

CatLady

I'm glad you at least you got some GOOD playtime in on your PS 5. I remember you were reluctant to get both consoles and initially couldn't decide between Series X and PS5, but then you decided to go all in and get both. Aren't you glad you did that now? Fingers crossed your Series X doesn't give you any problems. That would REALLY suck to buy both consoles and nothing to play on. :pie_lcry:

I'm hanging on to my One X in case my Series X ever decides to give me shit. Gotta have a back up - I would be utterly lost if I was ever without an Xbox.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm glad you at least you got some GOOD playtime in on your PS 5. I remember you were reluctant to get both consoles and initially couldn't decide between Series X and PS5, but then you decided to go all in and get both. Aren't you glad you did that now? Fingers crossed your Series X doesn't give you any problems. That would REALLY suck to buy both consoles and nothing to play on. :pie_lcry:

I'm hanging on to my One X in case my Series X ever decides to give me shit. Gotta have a back up - I would be utterly lost if I was ever without an Xbox.

Can't fault the Series X at all hardware wise.. well apart from maybe the bright controller light at night 😉. The emulation news after made me so glad I got both. I've loved playing the original Silent Hill 2 and 3 in 4k 60fps. State of Decay 2 was really fun as well, and of course the medium next month.

I think there is a solid case for owning both this gen 😁. If my third PS5 is noisy the Series X will be my main media player as well.

CatLady

Can't fault the Series X at all hardware wise.. well apart from maybe the bright controller light at night 😉. The emulation news after made me so glad I got both. I've loved playing the original Silent Hill 2 and 3 in 4k 60fps. State of Decay 2 was really fun as well, and of course the medium next month.

I think there is a solid case for owning both this gen 😁. If my third PS5 is noisy the Series X will be my main media player as well.

I can see your point, but I had both for a while last gen but unlike the majority of GAF, I'm just not a fan of Sony games or the eco system. I loved HZD but not enough to spend over $600 just to play one game. With Game Pass, Xbox BC and 23 studios that make almost all of my favorite games now the Xbox owns Bethesda, there are way too many games for me to EVER play. I also have a Switch for some Nintendo games.

Your case is different as you honestly LOVE Sony games and it would be a terrible shame for you to miss out on those had you chosen to go Series X only, plus you love games from previous gen so it would be a shame for you miss out on Xbox BC, all the games from the Zenimax studios ,and GP, plus now you're into Series X emulation of older games from other systems.

You are WAY set in having a shit ton games to play, but I do wonder how in the world you are ever going to play them ALL. It's a great problem to have though isn't it? :messenger_beaming:

Toe-Knee

If you are diy minded coil whine is a very easy fix. Open the psu and put hot glue on the coils and it will completely eradicate it.

reinking

Gold Member

I have zero noise from either PS5 other than drive spin when it first loads a game from disc. It only lasts about 30-40 seconds when launching the game for the first time but it is annoying. Same thing with XBSX except I have much louder "grindy" disc drive noise but since I am mostly using it for Game Pass right now I am holding off on a return until units/supply settle down. Disc drive noise is the only thing making me want to go all digital this gen.

MrTentakel

I game with a headset and can hear the buzzing fridge sound of my PS5 - 3 m distance. Hearing the replacement console could even be worse is not what I hoped for.

Hey smart guys, put your ass where your mouth is- will swap my "louder than PS4" console for your silent one and will put up 50€ to sweeten the deal.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Its not so much its loud, loud. Its just a constant annoying buzzing/straining sound that you can here anytime the music is remotely ambient. I can see some people not noticing at all and for others it's a super annoying distraction. I'd much prefer fan noise than this.

Easiest way to tell is put the tv on mute and load a game. You'll definitely hear a change/buzzing if you've got it bad.

Could it be the disc spinning in the machine? Do you hear the same noise on a digital title like Astro?

Coil Whine is truly a first world problem. PS4 fan noise was worse in every respect. This is not even worth moaning about. Get real.
Newsflash, when you live in the first world, all your problems are first world problems. What a shitty take.

Could it be the disc spinning in the machine? Do you hear the same noise on a digital title like Astro?

All PS5 games are digital since you can't play any games directly from disc. Same was true of PS4.

Last edited:
Disc inside the machine could still be spinning though is what I was getting at. But doesn’t appear to be the case.
That does happen, but the disc spinning sound doesn't remotely resemble the sound of coil whine. I have the digital PS5, and the coil whine I have is noticeable during most 60fps games, so I just use headphones. For people who that isn't an option, they should contact Sony for a replacement. I went through numerous PS4 pros before I got one with acceptable levels of coil whine.

CatLady

I have zero noise from either PS5 other than drive spin when it first loads a game from disc. It only lasts about 30-40 seconds when launching the game for the first time but it is annoying. Same thing with XBSX except I have much louder "grindy" disc drive noise but since I am mostly using it for Game Pass right now I am holding off on a return until units/supply settle down. Disc drive noise is the only thing making me want to go all digital this gen.

I'd be somewhat concerned that the drive may not be 100%. Mine is silent unless I put my ear again my Series X and I don't recall anyone talking about loud drive noise on the Series X.

Sorry if I'm being alarmist and I might be oversensitive to drive issues since both of my 360s never even thought about a RRoD, but both had disc drive issues.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That does happen, but the disc spinning sound doesn't remotely resemble the sound of coil whine. I have the digital PS5, and the coil whine I have is noticeable during most 60fps games, so I just use headphones. For people who that isn't an option, they should contact Sony for a replacement. I went through numerous PS4 pros before I got one with acceptable levels of coil whine.

I have two PS5 DE’s. No issues on either. Have played Siege at 120FPS too.
My PS4’s which I traded in were loud though, both of them.

DonJorginho

Banned
1st I'd like to say I'm sorry for your misfortune
2nd I'd like to thank you for beta testing the console for me and others that will be buying in the future

Your contribution is greatly appreciated and crucial for future units to run optimally
Completely unrelated to this but your avi is from the Telltales Batman game right? Is it worth the pick up? Shadows Edition is 6 quid on the PS Store.

My PS5 was silent when I got it. Then I heard the whine. And I was like shit I have it. THE COIL WHINE. But then... i was like this is what people are bitching about?

reinking

Gold Member
I'd be somewhat concerned that the drive may not be 100%. Mine is silent unless I put my ear again my Series X and I don't recall anyone talking about loud drive noise on the Series X.

Sorry if I'm being alarmist and I might be oversensitive to drive issues since both of my 360s never even thought about a RRoD, but both had disc drive issues.
When I heard the noise I did a quick google. Seems to be an issue on some units. Really, the only thing that bothered me about it is before I inserted a disc I heard nothing from the console. After inserting a disc, I do hear a small "thud?" like the drive engages on boot up. I am not worried about it at the moment because I am not going to use a disc anytime soon. Like I said, once stock settles I will send it in.

My PS5 was silent when I got it. Then I heard the whine. And I was like shit I have it. THE COIL WHINE. But then... i was like this is what people are bitching about?
People aren't bitching about the coil whine you're hearing. They're referring to the coil whine they're hearing. It might amaze you, but different people's consoles are louder or quieter than your own. That might be hard to grasp, but I think you can do It if you really try.

geordiemp

I'll buy it from you OP. You can buy a new one later.

Most of the posters on here complaining if you notice do not have a post history of liking playstation, and a few of them are just trolling and its quite obvious and pathetic.

We even have xbox fans like CatLady CatLady and others posting there sympathies to bump the thread, but we found 2 ps5 failures in 10,000. the desperation of the posts is getting funnier by the day.

You offering to buy them I guarantee will get no response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the posters on here complaining if you notice do not have a post history of liking playstation, and a few of them are just trolling and its quite obvious and pathetic.

We even have xbox fans like CatLady CatLady and others posting there symapathies to bump the thread, look buy an XSX its the weakest console but we found 2 ps5 failures in 10,000. the desperation of the posts is gettng funnier by the day.

Why is garbage like this allowed here? You’re just sad.

Hostile_18

Banned
Most of the posters on here complaining if you notice do not have a post history of liking playstation, and a few of them are just trolling and its quite obvious and pathateic.

We even have carlady and otehrs posting there symapathies to bump the thread, look buy an XSX its the weakest console but we found 2 ps5 failures in 10,000. LOL

Only one trolling the thread is you. Ignoring all the evidence that's presented and trying form a completley different narrative based on your PS5 working correctly. Its embarrassing for us level headed Playstation fans tbh. No company is perfect, it's ok relax.

geordiemp

Only one trolling the thread is you. Ignoring all the evidence that's presented and trying form a completley different narrative based on your PS5 working correctly. Its embarrassing for us level headed Playstation fans tbh. No company is perfect, it's ok relax.

What evidence ? Most of the posters have a history of praising xbox, so please present it.

You are a xbox fan and follow Concern, catlady and all the xbox trolls and you want me to believe you. Whatever.

There maybe one or 2 genuine posters I agree, but its hard to pick out.

No your digital games are tied to your Sony account not your ps5, you can sell it. You got caught,

But you would know that already if you played on ps5....which I doubt,

Last edited:
We even have xbox fans like CatLady CatLady and others posting there sympathies to bump the thread, but we found 2 ps5 failures in 10,000. the desperation of the posts is getting funnier by the day.

What evidence ? Most of the posters have a history of praising xbox, so please present it.

There maybe one or 2 genuine posters I agree, but its hard to pick out.

No your digital games are tied to your Sony account not your ps5, you can sell it. But you would know that already,,,,,,lol

giphy.gif

Top Bottom