• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

BuffNTuff

Banned
I noticed my buzzing this morning when I was playing in absolute silence at like 530 am with no AC, no refrigerator making noise, and no audio, and sitting like 3 feet away from the console. I could also hear it get better or worse while whizzing through gameplay and menus in Valhalla

It was audible in that scenario, but not really bad and was probably a worst case scenario - but not really a realistic gaming environment.

That being said my Xbox series x made absolutely zero noise while playing gears 5 in the same scenario. The build quality of the xsx is just much more impressive than ps5 even if ps5 is (at this stage) the better console.

Last edited:
Thought you were low IQ, continue with the drama warrior.

Less with the poor drama.

Do you understand statistics, do you understand that if 5 people come on a discussion forum and moan out of 10 million, its not really an issue is it.

I can anecdotally post that my 2 ps5 are dead silent, but statisticaly its meaningless in 10 million.

Most of the posts like yours show no understanding or thought, just clickbait drama based on no information at all and typical of poor tabliod journalism.

If you have any bright moments, tell us how many Ps5 need to have an issue to be significant out of 10 million.

OZryrLc.jpg

hB71hse.jpg

Owner has a legit issue with his PS5 and what he gets in return, attacks by same hardcore lunatics..its like, how dare he open up a negative thread about PS5. Who's going to stop him..YOU!!! GTFO!!

Hostile_18

Banned
So how many ps5 then, 10,15, 20 ?

I struggle to do silly discusions.

I dont understand why your been so defensive. It's a random sample of hundreds and it's at 15% with hardware issues.

Is it that hard to believe a new cutting edge console might have such figures as high as this? I've had two in a row myself...

HeresJohnny

I hate to see people downplaying this, Playstation fans have become accustomed to having their machines be exceptionally quiet over the generations. To now tell people to slap some headphones on and STFU is embarrassing imo. If it's loud and doesn't manifest in all machines, it's going to be an issue for some people, just like some people don't want their displays to have stuck pixels or fogging.

cireza

1. Make an unreliable hardware.
2. Put a sticker in the fan so that the console is noisy.
3. Have some people say "look this is an easy fix !".
4. Watch as buyers void their warranty to fix themselves the noise issue.
5. Profit.

cireza

Unreliable hardware ? That's bullshit. We all have had our ps5s long enough to recognize fud from xbox fanboys like u.
I am simply stating what could happen in the future. Time will tell if the console is reliable (you don't conclude that a console is reliable, nor that it is more powerful after a single month), but I can already tell you that some people will have voided their guarantee to fix this noise issue, and will not be able to have a proper service when their console will have a real problem.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Coil whine isn't a hardware defect though, so calling it a "failure" or "dropping the ball" is just wrong.
If your PS5 is louder than your PS4/PS4 Pro or has severe crashes, that's a failure.

I'd you buy hardware you don't enjoy using, or performs in a way that interrupts the user experience you thought you'd get, then its reasonable to call that a design failure. I remember my PS4 whilst playing Witcher 3 was an absolute joke, it sounded like a hoover and made playing the game less enjoyable. We all know cooling on the PS4 was a design issue, so if coil whine has the same impact on the OP and others then it's not different.

Key question: should Sony have picked it up during testing as an issue to be resolved? If yes, it's a design failure. If no, it's a nice thing that they cant reasonably be criticised for.

I am simply stating what could happen in the future. Time will tell if the console is reliable (you don't conclude that a console is reliable, nor that it is more powerful after a single month), but I can already tell you that some people will have voided their guarantee to fix this noise issue, and will not be able to have a proper service when their console will have a real problem.
U don't even know how to lie to spread your fud. Opening the fan doesn't void the warranty. Try harder .

Last edited:

geordiemp

I dont understand why your been so defensive. It's a random sample of hundreds and it's at 15% with hardware issues.

Is it that hard to believe a new cutting edge console might have such figures as high as this? I've had two in a row myself...

Well if you can weed out the FUD and xbox trolls from geniune cases is the first difficulty, and then extrapolating 10 cases to millions is a big guess is the second.

I am not arguing there maybe a handful of ps5 or more with a whine, its the low intelligence stupidity around statistics and saying its a major issue is not worthy of intelligent discussion

geordiemp

OZryrLc.jpg

hB71hse.jpg

Owner has a legit issue with his PS5 and what he gets in return, attacks by same hardcore lunatics..its like, how dare he open up a negative thread about PS5. Who's going to stop him..YOU!!! GTFO!!

Your just trolling, every genuine issue is worthy of discussion, but Xbox fans using this to troll or suggest its llike a million ps5 affected is so low IQ its unbelieveable.

One day you may understand that if you stayed in school.

If you want to get excited about 5 or 10 Ps5 not being perfect do so, but it makes you look really thick.

Last edited:
Hey sorry you're facing such problems OP. Current Gen and Next Gen (PS4 and PS5) day one purchases have been surprisingly quiet with no issues so far except the weird freeze that happened once when trying to switch off the PS5 when it was connected to an external HDD.

StormCell

I really get the impression some are sitting right next to the unit, maybe even at a desk with a monitor. Have you tried sitting away from the PS5? Can you hear it from 10 ft away??

If it's that bad, I would consider placing it behind the TV. There's gotta to be a way to block the fan noise.

SJRB

Gold Member
5. Profit.
Fucking LOL

geordiemp

It is sad for any user to have to replace their system for whatever reason.

Consumer electronics dont have the vigorous testing of automative and other critical applications, as such 1 % failure or return is normal every generation.

So out of every 1 million XSX and ps5 sold, expect 10,000 to be returned within warranty. Thats normal. Its the way it is.

We can discuss it, but some using this to troll or concern is pathetic.

And even though it is frustrating, some fans feeding on that informaion to spread FUD is so sad and makes them look stupid. They now who they are.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I really get the impression some are sitting right next to the unit, maybe even at a desk with a monitor. Have you tried sitting away from the PS5? Can you hear it from 10 ft away??

If it's that bad, I would consider placing it behind the TV. There's gotta to be a way to block the fan noise.

I sit 7 feet away from my tv and can hear it. This one I can hear from 14 feet away. Pretty much anywhere in the same room 😭.

I'll probably give it one more go after the supervisor rings me back. Looks like nearly all PS5s have it but to very different extents.

Hostile_18

Banned
Here's a poll of 5000 users. Only 25% with no coil whine.

I think it is slightly inaccurate as most will find the article by browsing "PS5 Coil Whine" but still it appears awfully high.

Every device makes some noise but I haven't spent thousands on my home theater to hear a permanent buzzing from my seated position 7 feet away.

I'm sure with my first PS5 it was leaving a ringing in my ears after a good play session. My Series X is perfect, and I'm a PS5 gamer main so not biased in any way.

Last edited:

user1337

5. Profit.

Removing the fan (not plug) doesn't void the warranty. The issue you are describing can be fixed without unplugging the fan.

Guess I got lucky all around, no coil noise, no excessive fan noise, no sticker issue.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Xbox fanboys in a nutshell. They’re not the brightest bunch.

Op you should try the o-ring fix, looks easy. I hope you know how to use a screwdriver.

I'll look into it if it doesn't void the warranty, doubt it's just a sticker. I've heard that fan noise and its alot more aggressive than a constant buzzing I'm getting.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
My PS5 is incredibly quiet. I want to see a video of this. I kinda feel like it's mostly FUD.

Ignore the Neofaf user poll, ignore the Push Square poll, ignore the Youtube videos, ignore the users posting about their experience... all because your machine is fine? Not even gonna waste my time.

Yes it's all a secret ploy to discredit your favorite plastic box manufacturer. Why waste weeks of my time without a console not playing games I want to play when I can discredit Playstation... you know my number one gaming platform...

Last edited:
Ignore the Neofaf user poll, ignore the Push Square poll, ignore the Youtube videos, ignore the users posting about their experience... all because your machine is fine? Not even gonna waste my time.

Yes it's all a secret ploy to discredit your favorite plastic box manufacturer.

These polls are about as trustworthy as Metacritic user scores. Every Xbox fanboy will vote they have "PS5 coil whine" for the PS5 they don't even have.

StormCell

I sit 7 feet away from my tv and can hear it. This one I can hear from 14 feet away. Pretty much anywhere in the same room 😭.

I'll probably give it one more go after the supervisor rings me back. Looks like nearly all PS5s have it but to very different extents.

My next consideration would be room temperature. Are you the type to keep the room near 80 F? I've had video cards that would overheat in a room at 80+ F. I'm just thinking that there could be workarounds to get the PS5 fan to do less work. Ultimately, I would put the damn thing in another room from me if I had to.

Hostile_18

Banned
My next consideration would be room temperature. Are you the type to keep the room near 80 F? I've had video cards that would overheat in a room at 80+ F. I'm just thinking that there could be workarounds to get the PS5 fan to do less work. Ultimately, I would put the damn thing in another room from me if I had to.

I don't think it's a heating issue. Room is never excessively warm etc.

All 6 PS5 I have acquired for me, family and friends have no issues. I guess i’m “lucky”.
Man, Dr Unboxking (a German/austrian youtuber) must have been really unlucky then, because all 6 of his PS5s have coil whine and he even made a video comparing all of them. Some have it more than others.

I quote myself from the coil whine thread
A German/Austrian YouTuber has been able to test 6 different consoles, besides the review unit he had.

His review unit was terribly loud (reminds me of my PS4 Pro), none of the others where this bad, however they all had coil whine with two being barely audible after 1-2 meters distance from the system. He also noted that one of the systems was producing a vibrating sound he could hear across the room.

Timestamps:

Console 4: 2:40-3:00
Console 0: 3:44-3:50 (review unit)
Console 3: 4:03-4:07 and 4:30-4:40 (the vibrating one)
Console 2: 4:45-4:53 (a quiet one - to his ears inaudible after 1-2 meters) - this is pretty much what mine sounds like.
Console 1: 5:05-5:20
Console 5: 8:50-9:00 (the quietest - again inaudible after 1-2 meters)

I'm fairly convinced that all consoles have it, some people are just numb to the sound, especially when it's barely audible like the two consoles he had in his video.

angelgs90

To those of you who have a silent PS5 (congratulations) and say that the rest of us are just spreading FUD: what is wrong with you?

I had to return my console, because the noise was unbearable even with headphones, and I' m not going to buy another again until the next hardware revision.

Do you have a problem with people exposing their situation, and trying to find causes and solutions? I just don't understand you.

sackings

no coil whine that I can hear from mine... usually 5-10 ft away while playing. Had a few unusual instances where the fan would start and stop non stop though.

NewChoppa

Banned
Got a silent PS5 (minus disc drive but that’s a given), but damn, that sucks man.

Hope you get it replaced and get a completely silent console soon dude. I know that it’s always a gamble getting a system when it first launches, but this coil whine stuff is definitely more widespread than I thought it’d be

Hostile_18

Banned
Got a silent PS5 (minus disc drive but that’s a given), but damn, that sucks man.

Hope you get it replaced and get a completely silent console soon dude. I know that it’s always a gamble getting a system when it first launches, but this coil whine stuff is definitely more widespread than I thought it’d be

Thank you. To be honest at this point I'll be happy with one less than my original. Over the moon if it's one I can't hear from 7 feet away, where I sit 😊

I'm debating sending my system in for an exchange but I know it's a lottery and I might get another one that makes just as much noise. The buzzing is just so irritating. For all the crap Xbox gets the XSX really is whisper quiet. Even when it's running a disc it makes less noise. I wish Sony had the same care when they designed the PS5. I should check out the exchange process. I'm guessing there are no cross ship options?

Last edited:

Entroyp

Man, Dr Unboxking (a German/austrian youtuber) must have been really unlucky then, because all 6 of his PS5s have coil whine and he even made a video comparing all of them. Some have it more than others.

I quote myself from the coil whine thread

🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t get money with clicks though.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The shell doesn't even get warm .let alone to have burnt marks. Something else is happening .

So tired of the Sony defense force dismissing everyone issues with the Ps5. My ps5 has a discoloration on the top panel (when it set horizontally). It wasn’t there when people posted pictures of it in the other thread cause I checked mine. Dont even use it much, just to play spider man and it was short as hell. Now it’s there. If it’s not a burn mark then what ever but tons of people have posted the same issue, it’s a thing my guy. Get the fuck over it.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm debating sending my system in for an exchange but I know it's a lottery and I might get another one that makes just as much noise. The buzzing is just so irritating. For all the crap Xbox gets the XSX really is whisper quiet. Even when it's running a disc it makes less noise. I wish Sony had the same care when they designed the PS5. I should check out the exchange process. I'm guessing there are no cross ship options?

There arnt in the UK but I'm going to try and go that angle with the supervisor since I've already waited 18 days total 🙈.

So tired of the Sony defense force dismissing everyone issues with the Ps5. My ps5 has a discoloration on the top panel (when it set horizontally). It wasn’t there when people posted pictures of it in the other thread cause I checked mine. Dont even use it much, just to play spider man and it was short as hell. Now it’s there. If it’s not a burn mark then what ever but tons of people have posted the same issue, it’s a thing my guy. Get the fuck over it.
Its a thing that happens to only few hard-core xbox fans that bought ps5. Weird no ? Bye 👋

Max_Po

Banned
I sit 8 ft away. I don't give a fuck if my ps5 has coil whine...

I wonder how sensitive OP is or how close he is to the PS5....

StormCell

There arnt in the UK but I'm going to try and go that angle with the supervisor since I've already waited 18 days total 🙈.

Must be nice having enough consumer protections in place to make Sony support be nice. I've gotten them on the phone twice, ever, and they always make it sound like my problem is my fault even though they fix it. I get the feeling the offer in the US will be "Ship it to us, and if we determine it's defective we'll replace. But if we find nothing wrong, we're shipping it back at your expense." :)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Its a thing that happens to only few hard-core xbox fans that bought ps5. Weird no ? Bye 👋

Reddit is full of Xbox fan bois then for sure. If I wanted to trash the system I’d say I have could whine or the crashing issues but thankfully none of that has hit me. Or not list my issue with they Xbox that I have been having (screen tearing in Valhalla for one).

Keep your head in the sand, if you keep defending Sony I’m sure you will get a reward one day:messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit

took a pic for ya, u can clearly see it and it’s reflection in my tv

Last edited:

TonyK

5. Profit.
You don't need to to touch anything that breaks the warranty to check the fan. Fan has the same system as the cover of the SSD expansion slot, and you will not break any warranty for opening that. There are not protective stickers or special screws that have a mark to check if they have been altered.

5. Profit.

1. Performing this fix doesn't force you to remove the warranty sticker.
2. Removing the warranty sticker does not, despite what Sony claims, void your warranty.

Mr Moose

Reddit is full of Xbox fan bois then for sure. If I wanted to trash the system I’d say I have could whine or the crashing issues but thankfully none of that has hit me. Or not list my issue with they Xbox that I have been having (screen tearing in Valhalla for one).

Keep your head in the sand, if you keep defending Sony I’m sure you will get a reward one day:messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit

took a pic for ya, u can clearly see it and it’s reflection in my tv

It appears someone has drew on it with a red pen/pencil.

Is it the thing you can see in the middle of the PS5? It's not due to heat, it's something on the underside of the shell (the grip things or whatever), I can see it on mine when I look at it from an angle, it's on both sides btw. If you look at the bottom of it carefully, you can see where the grip things are there, too.
IMG1.jpg

Top Bottom