• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has coil whine

bboris77

Neo Member
Yarp, just cheap silicone. Sucks to see these are the type of things being skimped on.
The thing is, the PSU is made by Delta which usually churns out top shelf stuff. I am thinking that they deliberately chose not to load up the PSU full of silicone paste to improve the airflow. My PS5 gets very warm close to the stand when in upright position. I can only assume this is because of the PSU being located there. Who knows, maybe they tried loading up the PSU with this gluey stuff on the caps and coils which restricted the airflow even more. I am giving Sony engineers the benefit of the doubt here - perhaps they put the longevity of the console ahead of dampening this noise fully.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
it's annoying yes but it's normal. if you're not happy with it then return it.
Some coil wind can get worst and louder over time. Yea, it's up to the buyer to decide if that's acceptable
it's annoying yes but it's normal. if you're not happy with it then return it.
It depends on the degree of the coil wind some can be a nothing burger but some can be real issue like mine with EVGA card and another post in this thread with the sticker.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Coil whine isn't always loud, but can often be annoying and distracting. In my GTX970 graphic card it was really bad, was a relief to get rid of it. My GTX1080 is better but is at times chirping like a little bird..

Night.Ninja

Banned
😄 coil whine normal, the lengths some of you go to 😒

No one should buy a new product and have to deal with that sound.

My Xbox one sounded like video posted above, I sent it in for repair I couldn't deal with that it's one of the most annoying sounds in the world. I remember watching movies with friends having to deal with that clicking 😫

Why ain't PS5 owners sending it in for repair? I'm sure there's a option to? I assume your too interested in playing games?

Last edited:
Can the people that say theirs doesn’t have it actually show us? I’ve never seen any proof besides words. I’m hoping this will be fixed by the time I pick one up.
Don't expect Sony to fix anything for the foreseeable future. This has been a problem for years with Playstation Pros and the PS5 has the exact same kind of coil whine as the Pro, so I doubt that this will be fixed with the next revision.

It's apparently coming from the PSU and technically savvy people were able to fix it (on their Pros) by taking it apart and cleaning the coils or hot glueing them down, so whoever supplies Sony with the affected PSUs needs to up their QA game and Sony needs to test them better.

I seem to have lucked out here. While I do have it, it's not that loud, especially compared to my Pro which I could hear across the room.

cormack12

Gold Member
Can the people that say theirs doesn’t have it actually show us? I’ve never seen any proof besides words. I’m hoping this will be fixed by the time I pick one up.

What do you want? I can try later, but a game will need to be on I assume. Just mute it?

If I get really close I can just hear fan movement.

NEbeast

Mine has a slight humming, it's really not audible over the sound off my TV. You only hear it when you're right next to the console. I'm 100% satisfied with that, it's perfectly normal.

Batiman

Banned
What do you want? I can try later, but a game will need to be on I assume. Just mute it?

If I get really close I can just hear fan movement.
Ya I don’t really care if it’s only audible up close. I just don’t want to be hearing that 4 feet away,
Don't expect Sony to fix anything for the foreseeable future. This has been a problem for years with Playstation Pros and the PS5 has the exact same kind of coil whine as the Pro, so I doubt that this will be fixed with the next revision.

It's apparently coming from the PSU and technically savvy people were able to fix it (on their Pros) by taking it apart and cleaning the coils or hot glueing them down, so whoever supplies Sony with the affected PSUs needs to up their QA game and Sony needs to test them better.

I seem to have lucked out here. While I do have it, it's not that loud, especially compared to my Pro which I could hear across the room.
My ps4 slim is really quiet so I had some hope for the ps5. I can live with it if it’s only form up close.

Forsete

Gold Member
Damn, that sucks. I gave away a laptop (T450S) that had coil whine because I just couldn't stand it.

Now a PS5 isn't a laptop so you sit close to the hardware at all times. Still, it is unfortunate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All I could hear in those videos were rattly fans.

Maybe my sound system or just that at my age I no longer can hear high frequencies.

So, just wait a few years and it'll sort itself out naturally :D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, we have 2 and you cannot tell they are swicted on.

I’m not saying that some aren’t experiencing some noise, but how he structured that post with “cheap capacitors” and “cheap parts” is classic FUD spreading to plant seeds of “concern.”

Last edited:

Antelope

I’m not saying that some aren’t experiencing some noise, but how he structured that post with “cheap capacitors” and “cheap parts” is classic FUD spreading to plant seeds of “concern.”
Agreed. Right now some people have an issue and armchair diagnosis isn’t going to accomplish much. You are better off pursuing an RMA if you have a faulty unit. If not, just enjoy. Especially early on, I would guess Sony will be more lenient with returns because they want to identify and fix the problems / avoid bad press.

Manufacturing issues happen, a good company will work to solve the issue.

OrtizTwelve

Well when your console design is akin to something from 2006 or looks like a Compaq Presario desktop tower on LSD what do you expect but only issues.

A German/Austrian YouTuber has been able to test 6 different consoles, besides the review unit he had.

His review unit was terribly loud (reminds me of my PS4 Pro), none of the others where this bad, however they all had coil whine with two being barely audible after 1-2 meters distance from the system. He also noted that one of the systems was producing a vibrating sound he could hear across the room.

Timestamps:

Console 4: 2:40-3:00
Console 0: 3:44-3:50 (review unit)
Console 3: 4:03-4:07 and 4:30-4:40 (the vibrating one)
Console 2: 4:45-4:53 (a quiet one - to his ears inaudible after 1-2 meters) - this is pretty much what mine sounds like.
Console 1: 5:05-5:20
Console 5: 8:50-9:00 (the quietest - again inaudible after 1-2 meters)

I'm fairly convinced that all consoles have it, some people are just numb to the sound, especially when it's barely audible like the two consoles he had in his video.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It’s not normal, it’s why most companies have return and replacement policies for coil whine in cpus, gpus, etc.

Most companies do not offer warranty replacements for products with coil whine because it is not generally considered a defect. It is not broken. It's just annoying.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
If i turn off my TV and close my head on the PS5 i can hear a very faint noise and feel some air from the top (vertical stand), but it's inaudible 2 feet away. My PS4 was humming quite loudly while playing but that's so much quieter with the PS5.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I'm pretty sure every tech product at any time has coil whine to it. Depending on what batch you get. A few days someone will make a thread about the new amd cards having coil whine.

Just been playing Demons Souls, it's a great improvement over PS4 and PS4 Pro, but nowhere close to be dead silent. People claiming it's dead silent should check their hearing capabilities since obviously you can hear it, specially on quiet environments (e.g playing at night)

cormack12

Gold Member
Just been playing Demons Souls, it's a great improvement over PS4 and PS4 Pro, but nowhere close to be dead silent. People claiming it's dead silent should check their hearing capabilities since obviously you can hear it, specially on quiet environments (e.g playing at night)

Are you saying you can hear the PS5 over the videogame audio?

Thabass

giphy.gif

It's sad it took this long for this gif / meme.

MetalRain

I associate coil whine to sound that changes the pitch depending on the load like here

Videos in this thread sound like loud fan or maybe it's in the power delivery. Unfortunate anyway.

Last edited:

itsArtie

That's not how coil whine sounds, that's just a cheap fan, or it got dusty.
EDIT: dude above me uploaded the same vid I did lol, watch it.

It's a completely different sound and more irritating than what you hear in those videos.

Last edited:
I've seen people talking about this on other threads, and I have experience it myself on my PS5.

I made this thread to share my experience on this problem, and I hope you can tell yours to the rest of us.

I didn't know coil whine existed until I booted up Astro's Playroom for the first time. I didn't know what that irritating noise was, I thought it was the fan at first, but then I realised that the noise was changing depending on what was showing on screen, and stopped inmediately when I returned to the home screen.

Searching on the internet, lots of people say that this is totally normal. PS4 Pros and high end graphics cards can have it too, but I have never experience it in all my years of gaming, and I think that if something is preventing you to properly enjoy your game time, it's in fact, a real problem. I can hear it even with headphones on.

Here are some examples I found on YouTube:

Mine sadly does also have coilwhine, had this with a GTX970, too. Its not that bad on my though. Can't really hear it when I'm playing and concentrating on the game. And don't hear it at all with headphones on.

Still its there and its not exactly quiet.
I'm gonna play some more and think about sending it back to amazon in January.

Kind of a bummer that its an issue with PS5 currently, hope sony manages to fix that soon.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It's only "totally normal" because of fanboys.

My one friends PS5 has audible and loud coil whine from 10+ feet away... Sucks Sony cheaped out on things like this.
Cheaped out how exactly? Can you point out where? We've all seen the teardowns.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
This is being over blown because of social media and reddit. They are part of the normal couple percent defective units. The people trying to say it is normal it is not audible coil whine is just a defect that needs to be repaired no reason to get defensive over it. I hate this reddit effect turning a small percentage into a huge issue.

Top Bottom