• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

Kamina

Golden Boy
Any chance the newer units coming out in January are better built? I'd settle for some caulk to help with coil whine.
0 unless they change suppliers now, which they wont, or until they make a console refresh already, which they wont.
I have a Delta fan and also had slight issues with vibration noises. Dont think it is coil whine as I mostly fixed it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Has op googled tinnitus?
It has this factor to it yeah, I had it before in my life which got miraculously fixed and no I can't stand fan noise for some reason. Mostly likely even coil whine, but thankfully I have no coil whine device near me.

angelgs90

For the record, the model of the unit I returned for loud coil whine a few weeks ago is MODEL CFI-1016A.

It would be good to have a record of the different existing models, especially when the first hardware revisions start to show up.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well my second exchange is sorted, they are going to fast track it.

The experienced CS I spoke to didn't believe Coil Whine was real, that it is always the fan been noisy, rather than anything else.

Here's my photos as requested. FrankWza FrankWza
q2S8W0i.jpg

q2q0iUu.jpg

Last edited:

FrankWza

The experienced CS I spoke to didn't believe Coil Whine was real, that it is always the fan been noisy, rather than anything else.

Here's my photos as requested. FrankWza FrankWza FrankWza FrankWza

good to hear. I can’t make out which fan you have from the pics though. What kind of slots? It looks like “B” but hard to tell. If it is a B version, that could be a correlation. Maybe the others with B can chime in. I have a teardown version in mine. No whining so far. Only noise is the UHD drive kicking in from time to time. Doesn’t make a peep when digital.

Last edited:
What else happened? I've heard that the UK support for Sony has sucked for a long time. Hopefully, there will be someone that can fix your issue because the PS5 is promising. However, this has been the main reason why I built a PC because they have the best library with Steam. Shame that I don't get to play some of the exclusives but it is still awesome to get the PC experience.

TonyK

Here's my photos as requested. FrankWza FrankWza
q2S8W0i.jpg

q2q0iUu.jpg
Why the second photo doesn't have the cable?

Sony has some good games and I want a ps5 but they designed this thing so wrong. to many issues. After watching the gaming nexus breakdown of it I don't know how this thing was allowed to ship the way it did. It's going to take a big hardware revision to fix. Im glad most of the games on ps5 are cross gen in the meantime lol.

Some physical facts:

There are no silent console(from sony, nintendo or xbox), that have moving parts
No, your console isn't silent if _you_ cant or wont hear it

So, everyone whom claims that they have silent console, are basically liars, half deaf, live "middle of motor way" noise environment or ignorant(brain tend to mask out non-relevant noises, some can even "unheard" crying baby, some cant un-hear almost anything). That is the truth.

It is sad that this must be said so many times, because people spread the bullshit of "mine is silent", then people whom aren't deaf etc. start to over analyze their console because they get the idea that it should be silent.

Which is physically impossible, unless you have it on vacuum.

I have heard 3 PS5s and all have had coil whine, enough to be annoying trough gaming noises, enough to be heard from 6-10m away (20-30feet). I'm sure there are better and worse units, but none cant be literally silent or inaudible to all users.

All have had quiet, but not silent fan, aka it have been audible from 4-6m away, not noisy at all but still easily audible on normal room that have low background noise levels. Much better than any ps4 I have heard.

Coil whine is easily the annoying component, as it have different non-static characteristics.

People whom claim that they cant hear theirs from 1-2m (3-6 feet?) away, are either lying, deaf, ignorant or their room have really loud background noise levels.

But the option that it would be "silent" is 100% false.

Even switch is audible from the dock to 4-6m (13-19feet) away, does it mean it is loud? no, it is really quiet.

Being really quiet doesnt mean something is silent. Being audible doesnt mean something is loud either.

Whispers are not loud, but can be heard 40-60m away (130-170feet) in auditorium even when there is lecturer speaking on front.

And yet people claim they dont hear their consoles with ear next to it.

Thing with noise is that it is subjective, so people telling their experiences of something being "silent" have zero value, as there are always individuals whom have really high tolerances and/or bad hearing, to them it could be like that, but to another person it is different experience.

There are even stupid people whom use headphones literally at 100% volume thinking it is fine, some even complain that "there is distortion in the music when I listen to with 100% volume??"

So, only reliable way to tell how loud different consoles are, is to do professional noise measurement on noise laboratory, in controlled environment.

Otherwise it is just like people with perfect vision vs people with really bad vision without their glasses claiming that they cant see anybody on the street far away, while it is full of people

and people whom say things like "are you sitting ear next to it?? do you play on mute lol??", fuck off.

I have masters degree in environmental health, including noise. Also working as "audio engineer" now, doing things that are related to noise insulation, cancellation and protection. I know that from "non-expert" standpoint noise is really simple, but in reality it is not.

tl:dr: all modern consoles from xbox, sony and nintendo emit noise that can be heard far away, people whom claim they have silent one are wrong. So making some audible noises is most likely common among all units, only thing that varies is peoples ability to hear or notice noises

Hostile_18

Banned
Why the second photo doesn't have the cable?

I took a photo from each side.

danielJackson danielJackson great post 👍

PS5 has been sent off for return. I'll update when I get the new one. Hopefully it's not an annoying kind of noise from playing location. My Series X makes a noise with ear pressed right to it but in every practical way its silent when operational. In this aspect so far the PS5 can't compete on a consistent basis.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Some physical facts:

There are no silent console(from sony, nintendo or xbox), that have moving parts

So, everyone whom claims that they have silent console, are basically liars, half deaf, live "middle of motor way" noise environment or ignorant(brain tend to mask out non-relevant noises, some can even "unheard" crying baby, some cant un-hear almost anything). That is the truth.

It is sad that this must be said so many times, because people spread the bullshit of "mine is silent", then people whom aren't deaf etc. start to over analyze their console because they get the idea that it should be silent.

I have heard 3 PS5s and all have had coil whine, enough to be annoying trough gaming noises, enough to be heard from 6-10m away (20-30feet). I'm sure there are better and worse units, but none cant be literally silent or inaudible to all users.

All have had quiet, but not silent fan, aka it have been audible from 4-6m away, not noisy at all but still easily audible on normal room that have low background noise levels. Much better than any ps4 I have heard.

Coil whine is easily the annoying component, as it have different non-static characteristics.

People whom claim that they cant hear theirs from 1-2m (3-6 feet?) away, are either lying, deaf, ignorant or their room have really loud background noise levels.

Even switch is audible from the dock to 4-6m (13-19feet) away, does it mean it is loud? no, it is really quiet.

Being really quiet doesnt mean something is silent. Being audible doesnt mean something is loud either.

Whispers are not loud, but can be heard 40-60m away (130-170feet) in auditorium even when there is lecturer speaking on front.

Thing with noise is that it is subjective, so people telling their experiences of something being "silent" have zero value, as there are always individuals whom have really high tolerances and/or bad hearing, to them it could be like that, but to another person it is different experience.

There are even stupid people whom use headphones literally at 100% volume thinking it is fine, some even complain that "there is distortion in the music when I listen to with 100% volume??"

So, only reliable way to tell how loud different consoles are, is to do professional noise measurement on noise laboratory, in controlled environment.

Otherwise it is just like people with perfect vision vs people with really bad vision without their glasses claiming that they cant see anybody on the street far away, while it is full of people

and people whom say things like "are you sitting ear next to it?? do you play on mute lol??", fuck off.

I have masters degree in environmental health, including noise. Also working as "audio engineer" now, doing things that are related to noise insulation, cancellation and protection. I know that from "non-expert" standpoint noise is really simple, but in reality it is not.

tl:dr: all modern consoles from xbox, sony and nintendo emit noise that can be heard far away, people whom claim they have silent one are wrong. So making some audible noises is most likely common among all units, only thing that varies is peoples ability to hear or notice noises

I cant hear my XSX, i wouldn't know if its on or off and tbh that's how i expect a PS5 to be

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I cant hear my XBX, i wouldn't know if its on or off and tbh that how i expect a PS5 to be

Yep that's my XBX too. If I literally put my ear on the machine I can hear the moving parts but even 10cm away its silent. That's why I was taken aback when one of the Sony reps said the fan kicking off in games is "just doing what it's designed to do".

Some physical facts:

Stadia is completely silent ;-)

Concern

Some physical facts:

Thread has nothing to do with Xbox. You can keep you whataboutisms. Either way, everyone with both says they on hear the Ps5. Hard to cope, but hey at least there's still xbox available in Finland.

DrAspirino

Banned
Bro it's coil whine, hardly a defective product. Slap some headphones on and deal with it.
It's a 500€ piece of equipment!! The least you can demand is decent quality control for that price. OP is right to complain about it.

....and as I've said before, I'll say it again: THIS is one of the reasons why one must never buy launch consoles or any "launch" electronics in general: you'll be "beta-testing" it.

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
Bro it's coil whine, hardly a defective product. Slap some headphones on and deal with it.

Think mine gets it now and then depending what I'm doing on the console but it's not game breaking and can barely hear it.

Stick with it for a bit until there's a model revision, sell this one and get that one.

This attitude is why companies take advantage of customers. Because people like you normalize it. For the money we pay we should not tolerate it. Might as well say it is OK for people to talk in movie theaters.

soulbait

No I said show me 2 posters with strong posting history of playstation affinity.

I want to see any clear Playstation gamer and CLEAR fan witha post history to match complaining. I have not seen any in this thread. Funny that.

I rest my case..

See ya

So freaking childish. So only people who are fanboys, who only speak positive of Playstation, are the ones you will listen to? When you are a super fan, you are the one to overlook issues that others won't. Grow up man. All you do on here is constantly try to defend a brand that does not need defending and it really does not care about you. It is a company whose goal to take money out of your pockets in exchange for goods and/or services.

Grow up and quite being such an annoying fan boy.

I cant hear my XSX, i wouldn't know if its on or off and tbh that's how i expect a PS5 to be
Yep that's my XBX too. If I literally put my ear on the machine I can hear the moving parts but even 10cm away its silent. That's why I was taken aback when one of the Sony reps said the fan kicking off in games is "just doing what it's designed to do".

What's interesting and leaves you in awe every..single.. time you fire this up, At any load, especially heavy games such as CyberPunk leaving on for hours and not a sound, dead silent..feels like console is not even ON.

MS put together and designed S|X A Marvel of technical achievement, bar none anything comes close..and don't get me started with "Gods Gift" quick resume 🤜🔥🤛

Concern

What's interesting and leaves you in awe every..single.. time you fire this up, At any load, especially heavy games such as CyberPunk leaving on for hours and not a sound, dead silent..feels like console is not even ON.

MS put together and designed S|X A Marvel of technical achievement, bar none anything comes close..and don't get me started with "Gods Gift" quick resume 🤜🔥🤛

All we heard about the Ps5 since the design was shown was how its size was to address its cooling and noise. Yet the much smaller console is still the silent one.

I hope a revision or pro address this before I get one. But considering the Ps4 pro didn't improve over the og, i doubt it.

Gold_Loot

If you can hear my PS5 from 5 feet away, you can hear a mosquito fart.

Fox Mulder

Some people just seem more sensitive to these sounds. I saw it all the time working in cable when people would complain about whining boxes but I didn’t hear shit. Giving them new hardware just angered them more when they heard the same sounds.

All we heard about the Ps5 since the design was shown was how its size was to address its cooling and noise. Yet the much smaller console is still the silent one.

I hope a revision or pro address this before I get one. But considering the Ps4 pro didn't improve over the og, i doubt it.

I hear you, promises were not kept.

I agree % one hunnit with you-This may or may not get addressed if we go by the PRO analysis throughout its life cycle. Its kind of in the jeopardy at this point and in the uknown.

soulbait

Think mine gets it now and then depending what I'm doing on the console but it's not game breaking and can barely hear it.

Stick with it for a bit until there's a model revision, sell this one and get that one.

I have a few thousand dollars in my sound system, I don't want to have to stop using it and go to headphones because in quiet scenes I can hear my console running. I stopped playing God of War on my PS4 pro due to how loud it sounded. It was completely distracting and pulled me away from the game.

I don't have a PS5 yet (I am hoping to finish up GoW once I get one though), but I can tell you this, I cannot hear my Xbox Series X at all. So quiet, you do not even know if it is on or not. That is how media based electronic devices should be. Shit, even my audio receiver has a mode on it where it will turn off all extras like the front LED display panel to limit any extra noise added to the audio signal (not an issue for me, but it is for some). Many of us pay good money to enjoy good sound and wearing headphones is not the solution we are looking for.

That's how mine is, it doesn't make a sound that I can hear and that's all I care about, to my ear it's silent but is it technically silent? I guess not since moving parts will make some noise but I guess as with everything on the internet now we have to be literal with all of our words or someone is going to be upset.

Top Bottom