• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

I just didnt want to go months without my primary gaming platform. I wanted to Play Demon Souls and also Cyberpunk on my PS5 to get the trophies (I sold my PS4 Pro). I'm not expecting much from this supervisor call today (if indeed I get it). It sounds like a lottery each time to be honest at the moment. If the third one is terrible I can always return to Amazon UK by the end of January as a last resort. It's all just super disappointing start, but will hopefully be forgotten once its sorted.

I feel ya. I'm pretty patient myself but honestly it's easy to say that with a PS5 that so far isn't experiencing any problems (knock on wood). She's an ugly beast but she knows what I like. 🤔😉

Ahem...anywho, although "serious" hardware problems are thankfully rare for the new consoles, PS5 coil whine does seem to be a more common issue and something mentioned quite a bit in various forums. It's the kind of problem that is highly subjective. I see some people saying basically "deal with it", put on headphones, etc... But if you're the kind of person who is sensitive to this sort of distraction then it'll be worth the effort to replace it one way or another. If my PS5 had any problems including coil whine I'd just return it where I purchased it and exercise a different kind of patience...to get a different one, even if it takes a few months. But, I've got a massive backlog on multiple generations including PC and the PS5 is my Sony exclusive box, so it might be easier for me to wait it out if need be vs someone like yourself who views PS5 as your primary gaming machine.

In any case, best of luck getting it sorted out. Sony's customer service is generally awful but that doesn't mean you won't luck out and find the right person willing to help you in this situation, so it's worth a try.

Last edited:
I heard that if you open up the PS5 and open up the power supply and stick in some playdough it will help with the vibration and reduce coil whine something like this which the Xbox has but PS5 does not.

fvumAmA.png

Your post makes sense

Before I saw your post I was listening to the video above your post with the three ps5s.

Well I could clearly hear the coil whine and the first thing that came to mind was that sounds exactly like my TV when showing a white background. It started after a few years with my TV.

When reading up on it it was due to a board coming loose and vibrating, so I just needed to take the back off and tighten it up(some thing I have not done yet). Can't remember if it was a screw or a glue job.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm in the long game if I've got over 30 plats, ran the UK PS5 pre order thread, bought the console, gone without one for 16 days... all to what knock Sony for Xbox and a few of my xbox friends on here? Instead of what actually playing and enjoying the games I want to play... its absolute madness 😂😂.

Naughty Dog are my favorite developers, I've even got framed artwork from 3 Playstation exclusives in my living room (check out the next gen set up thread). Honestly the guy has issues.
So, you've been framed.... just like McGarnagle!

nkarafo

Bro it's coil whine, hardly a defective product. Slap some headphones on and deal with it.
Yeah, no. This shit is annoying and headphones can be tiresome to wear too. Coil whine sucks no matter how you try to defend the company/console. AFAIK, it's an issue that can be fixed easily and cheaply but they decided to cheapen out on that too.

I'm with the OP in this one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I went through 2 faulty PS4 Pros (first one had severe GPU artifacts, on the replacement games would constantly crash etc) before the 3rd one finally worked. So yeah, not too impressed with their console repairs/replacements.

This isn't actually a hardware fault though, just an annoying quirk. But I get why you don't want to just accept it.

Since we never got a video, from what I’ve seen anyway, I researched this myself. Watched this video (start around 01:00)

and listened to my own PlayStation. I always thought I should listen for a more high pitch “whine” than this (remembering some of my old pc hardware with high pitch noise) but sure enough if I put my ear really close I hear a similar noise as the video above when playing Astro bot if I’m in a totally silent room. It never bothered me, never heard it before and will probably never hear it again. It stops when in menu, playing a movie etc. Only tested with Astro Bot so not sure about other games.

Sorry OP you seem to be unlucky twice and have gotten a noisy unit, hope it all works out for you.

God damnit you guys. Now I have another thing I will look for in electronics as a potential “non perfect “ experience.

Astro Bot produces very little coil whine for some odd reason.

That game was the reason for why I thought I didn’t have it. Try playing a PS4 game or Spider-Man/Demon‘s Souls.

Am also not surprised that all Sony shills in this thread have seemingly perfect consoles. You cretins are more annoying than coil whine.

JeloSWE

I have a long HDMI cable. So I have the PS5 behind me, not next to the TV. I either have the speakers or my headphones. Im confused how people hear it. People can bitch about whatever they want. Just like when I see a DISC PS5, I wanna throw up.
People are different and there certainly are variations between PS5 as well. Some have it worse in both cases, you seem to be fine tough, just don't assume your situation/experience is the same for everyone.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I listened to that video, and I'm pretty sure I can still hear the noise faintly at a different frequency outside of astro - which makes me think all three have the sticker issue.

Just that at lower revolutions it is hardly audible to anyone - because impact is proportional to force of impact, and the spacing (frequency) of the sound is further apart, so the noise diminishes quicker - without as much superposition of subsequent impacts.

Would be interesting to see the audio wave - to verify if it is impact noise - and a second recording from a metre away, so it isn't unrealistically loud from a 2inch distance.

Last edited:

geordiemp

It's in the first post, I have. I think you may have some learning difficulties so I'll just leave it at that. If you ever want to reflect on your console warring then please re-read what has been said to you.

No your gamertag or example is not in the first post on this thread, as I have 2 degrees and your job is posting on GAF it seems and encouraging xbox trolls, I would not go down the learning difficulties route.

So, you seem to be achieving what you want, constantly posting about whine and getting all the xbox crowd in here to FUD and call sony fans shills, idiots, and the like. Just read them, we are just missing Timdog and the circle is complete.

I dont know what your intentions are, but that is exactly what you are doing. Maybe your aware of that and enjoy the attention, maybe you are not so smart, who knows. If your intention was to get your ps5 fixed, you would of just done it and that is why I am questioning.

Last edited:

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
No your gamertag or example is not in the first post on this thread, as I have 2 degrees and your job is posting on GAF it seems and encouraging xbox trolls, I would not go down the learning difficulties route.

I know some excellent scientists that have learning difficulties. It's not very nice to insinuate that people with learning difficulties can't get a degree, and you should consider your words more carefully.

geordiemp

I know some excellent scientists that have learning difficulties. It's not very nice to insinuate that people with learning difficulties can't get a degree, and you should consider your words more carefully.

Try reading what I typed, I was replying to the poster who suggested I have learning difficulties.

Reading comprehension.

DonJorginho

Banned
geordiemp geordiemp you're a very sad, little coward of a man. A pitiful excuse of a coward if that.

You are beyond childish, laughably so, claiming all these conspiracies over Hostile_18 Hostile_18 who is literally one of the biggest PlayStation fans I know on here! This man lives and breathes Sony, so what if he enjoys Xbox too? People are allowed to like more than one console, stop trying to be the Kim Jong Un of GAF and accept that coil whine is something affecting a minority of PS5s, I have it myself, mine is pretty quiet when I've got my TV sound on or headphones so I'm fine with mine but people have different reactions to certain frequencies and sounds and it affects them differently than it would me or you.

Pointing out a flaw of one system doesn't make you a hater of that system, most Nintendo fans criticise Nintendo all the time, yet adore their games and consoles as that is what most fans are, people who adore a company yet can point out issues with them or their systems/games. In comparison to that, Hostile has simply stated he's ran into Coil whine and is upset as he's been looking forward to his PS5 for so long, that doesn't scream an Xbox troll to me.

I take it you're a Newcastle United supporter, in which case you're used to accusing everyone of having an ulterior motive and having an allegiance to other parties, but this is just unbelievably sad, I hope you can look back on this in a few years and go "wow, how childish was I here!" but I'm sure you'll carry on doing your best Gestapo impression.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

geordiemp geordiemp you're a very sad, little coward of a man. A pitiful excuse of a coward if that.

You are beyond childish, laughably so, claiming all these conspiracies over Hostile_18 Hostile_18 who is literally one of the biggest PlayStation fans I know on here! This man lives and breathes Sony, so what if he enjoys Xbox too? People are allowed to like more than one console, stop trying to be the Kim Jong Un of GAF and accept that coil whine is something affecting a minority of PS5s, I have it myself, mine is pretty quiet when I've got my TV sound on or headphones so I'm fine with mine but people have different reactions to certain frequencies and sounds and it affects them differently than it would me or you.

Pointing out a flaw of one system doesn't make you a hater of that system, most Nintendo fans criticise Nintendo all the time, yet adore their games and consoles as that is what most fans are, people who adore a company yet can point out issues with them or their systems/games. In comparison to that, Hostile has simply stated he's ran into Coil whine and is upset as he's been looking forward to his PS5 for so long, that doesn't scream an Xbox troll to me.

I take it you're a Newcastle United supporter, in which case you're used to accusing everyone of having an ulterior motive and having an allegiance to other parties, but this is just unbelievably sad, I hope you can look back on this in a few years and go "wow, how childish was I here!" but I'm sure you'll carry on doing your best Gestapo impression.
I think that's a bit unfair, when in your own thread I suggested you consider the firmware/storage as an issue, and you waved away my "end-user" troubleshooting option.

You had enough time to indulge in a controversial OP that damages the perception of a product, yet lacked the time and effort to extensively eliminate all possible fixes available to you as a consumer. Basic end-users elsewhere might have a point, but surely at Neogaf the standard for troubleshooting - before potentially (unfairly) smearing a product is set a bit higher, no?

Although, the build up to launch sure did have a lot of PS5 info that aged really badly, so a bit of health-scepticism with PS5 negativity is probably also warranted IMHO.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, no. This shit is annoying and headphones can be tiresome to wear too. Coil whine sucks no matter how you try to defend the company/console. AFAIK, it's an issue that can be fixed easily and cheaply but they decided to cheapen out on that too.

I'm with the OP in this one.

Its grating. It happens when I run DS on performance mode and am outside of archstone menus where it stalls immediately. I think it also stalls when I play resolution mode. When I have decent volume I don't hear it but when its late and I run lower volume its like white noise. Its not bad to the point of me wanting it to fix yet, but its there. My XSS is more silent thats for sure.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I think that's a bit unfair, when in your own thread I suggested you consider the firmware/storage as an issue, and you waved away my "end-user" troubleshooting option.

You had enough time to indulge in a controversial OP that damages the perception of a product, yet lacked the time and effort to extensively eliminate all possible fixes available to you as a consumer. Basic end-users elsewhere might have a point, but surely at Neogaf the standard for troubleshooting - before potentially (unfairly) smearing a product is set a bit higher, no?

Although, the build up to launch sure did have a lot of PS5 info that aged really badly, so a bit of health-scepticism with PS5 negativity is probably also warranted IMHO.

Controversial? I factually reported my replacement PS5 came back with worse coil whine.

If I said "I've had two faulty PS5s in a row therefore all Playstation 5s are built poorly" that would be an opinion and controversial but not just stating the facts. If that's enough to trigger you I'd suggest your too invested in one company.

Anyone that had to return two consoles in a row nevermind at launch and regardless of platform would get my sympathy its just common human decency especially as fellow gamers.

Thank you for all the support from 90% of the posters here though. Its appreciated 👍😊

DonJorginho

Banned

You told me to reset my entire PS5, use a USB stick for system update, the whole shebang, I didn't wanna do that as it wouldn't fix the issue most likely and I always said my coil whine wasn't unbearable with the TV sound on or with headphones, it wouldn't make sense to do all that and then download all my games again when the problem would likely remain.

There's no smearing about bringing up valid issues, I adore the PS5, it's amazing, but the PSU related coil whine is annoying given I spent a fair amount of cash I expect better, but like I said, I'll get a replacement once Sony release stealth revisions to battle this.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Don't have it and know no one with the problem. I'm pretty sure most of the "real reports" come from people that notice a sound and then do everything in their power to focus on it. If you gotta stand two feet away from it to hear it, or you need to put the recorder right in its face to pick up the sound, then you're just being bitchy. If you can hear it from the couch with sound coming from the TV then replace it.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Controversial? I factually reported my replacement PS5 came back with worse coil whine.

If I said "I've had two faulty PS5s in a row therefore all Playstation 5s are built poorly" that would be an opinion and controversial but not just stating the facts. If that's enough to trigger you I'd suggest your too invested in one company.

Anyone that had to return two consoles in a row nevermind at launch and regardless of platform would get my sympathy its just common human decency especially as fellow gamers.

Thank you for all the support from 90% of the posters here though. Its appreciated 👍😊
I never said you weren't stating facts, but then again, you never said to what extent you've eliminated possible issues at your end, to make sure it isn't environmental - TV with failing hdmi cable or receiver chip, etc, etc. And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that a service centre has QA'ed your systems correctly, but did so without having to format or reinstall firmware because they probably interface the system's diagnostics without booting into the user mode. But again, this was surely a post that could have been added to an existing "suspected" coil whine thread, no?

/and I'm not saying this because of investment in Playstation, I would say the same for PC issues, Xbox or Nintendo issues. - it is too easy to assume there isn't a end-user solution. Nothing in your OP leapt out and said you'd exhausted all avenues as an end-user before returning the first unit IMO.

Ever since Xbox original added internal storage as a default feature to console the reliability of consoles has become muddied IMHO. In the past you could just unplug, wipe a disc, vacuum a cartridge, ring out cables (& try a different TV, wall socket) and go again. Failure in those circumstances was pretty clear cut. Today you can try many more avenues to troubleshoot because of the systems' (and the AV systems they are used with) complexity and still miss something simple or intricate that was the cause.

In the Ps3 generation zero-ing a drive for 24hrs without success, followed by needing to switch hdd modes and power management states for the hdd - using an old laptop with EIDE port iirc and use an old 3.5" floppy OS2 warp diskette that the HDD firmware tool needed was the difference between me blaming the PS3 for being broken, when in fact it was a brand new HDD peculiarity causing intermittent lockups, so I'm do treat all hardware issues this way.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

You told me to reset my entire PS5, use a USB stick for system update, the whole shebang, I didn't wanna do that as it wouldn't fix the issue most likely and I always said my coil whine wasn't unbearable with the TV sound on or with headphones, it wouldn't make sense to do all that and then download all my games again when the problem would likely remain.

There's no smearing about bringing up valid issues, I adore the PS5, it's amazing, but the PSU related coil whine is annoying given I spent a fair amount of cash I expect better, but like I said, I'll get a replacement once Sony release stealth revisions to battle this.
How is stating something that isn't proven - as a fact - not smearing it? I've bolded the parts where you actually state it is definitely a manufacturing issue, and that Sony will address it on the quiet in a dishonest way. You might be correct, but if you can't be bother to format your SSD and re-install, then you should maybe consider dialling that type of assertion back IMHO.

So, you seem to be achieving what you want, constantly posting about whine and getting all the xbox crowd in here to FUD and call sony fans shills, idiots, and the like. Just read them, we are just missing Timdog and the circle is complete.

I dont know what your intentions are, but that is exactly what you are doing. Maybe your aware of that and enjoy the attention, maybe you are not so smart, who knows. If your intention was to get your ps5 fixed, you would of just done it and that is why I am questioning.

Sounds more like you have 2 degrees of schizophrenia bro

ne1butu

My ps5 has this noise too, it’s a type of electronic generator sound?

Low volume though. The PS4 pro also had this noise, demon souls for me makes it audible in a quiet room

//DEVIL//

Ok I don’t want to make a new thread about this because this is also related to the OP so listen to this carefully as it’s almost 100% as accurate as it will ever get.

Before I start I would like to say that I had the chance to get 7 PS5 consoles ( from the first wave of preorders back in sept 16\17 to market price consoles . A total of 7 opened ps5 I have tested ( all sold but one for me ) and all sold to either friends or friends of friends for same amount because I believe in karma .
Now to the topic .
Fans : whoever said the Nidec fan is worse than the delta fan ( that French website I am calling ) is full of shit . There are 3 types of fans first of all. Delta , Nidec and the new model . The fans are all about the same but the new model did made a whirl sound louder than the other fans
( out of the 7 PS5 I tried 3 were delta, 3 new model and only 1 Nidec ( that’s how rare the Nidec fan is ) .
In terms of effectiveness of the blades on the fans. The best one was again Nidec due to less but bigger blades ( kinda like the Xbox series x but with more blades of course ) the air pressure was stronger than the other 2 fans . The console wasn’t even warm during heavy games at 4k 60 FPS on both cod and spider man.
The second place was the new model . It also pushed the air in a good way but it wasn’t as strong as Nidec fan . The consoles I tested were barely warm which is also very good.

The one that comes in third place is the delta one. I believe that’s due the fan not actually having full blades to circle the air . If you take a look at the blades they are half blades ( wtf is up with this design . Delta designed the Xbox series x fans and it’s awesome. Why it’s like that with ps5 ? ) horrible . It’s like an old gpu blower style . The console was abit warm during heavy gaming . Nothing super bad of course but you can feel the heat and the pressure isn’t as strong ( you can almost feel it too from the hole in the middle of the ps5 that act as a dust filter )

so tldr ? From my finding Nidec is the best one. Nee model is close second ( about the same ) and delta ... well no .

Second part : coil whine :

all had it. Some are worse than others . No ps5 is immune from it . Lucky enough my Nidec ps5 was also the best one in terms of coil whine sound .

so when the OP said his second ps5 is worse, I have 100% believe him because it’s very possible )

Now here comes the third one . Blue ray drive .

this also seems to have different models . Some of them are fucking loud beyond beliefs . Like it almost makes the whole system shaking ( like they forgot to put anti vibration filter on some of them models .

Sorry for my English . Hope people can understand clearly. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask .

the perfect ps5 out of those 7 was from Costco .Others from Walmart , Best Buy , amazon and the source ( Canadian store only I assume )

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
After finally scoring a PS5 in the last Best Buy drop that i am picking up on Saturday, i have to say that this thread is giving me anxiety lol

I've purpose avoided watching the vids because i don't want to go into it after hooking up my system paranoid and looking for problems that may not even be there.

Ok I don’t want to make a new thread about this because this is also related to the OP so listen to this carefully as it’s almost 100% accurate.

Before I start I would like to say that I had the chance to get 7 PS5 consoles ( from the first wave of preorders back in sept 16\17 to market price consoles . A total of 7 opened ps5 I have tested ( all sold but one for me ) and all sold to either friends or friends of friends for same amount because I believe in karma .
Now to the topic .
Fans : whoever said the Nidec fan is worse than the delta fan ( that French website I am calling ) is full of shit . There are 3 types of fans first of all. Delta , Nidec and the new model . The fans are all about the same but the new model did made a whirl sound louder than the other fans
( out of the 7 PS5 I tried 3 were delta, 3 new model and only 1 Nidec ( that’s how rare the Nidec fan is ) .
In terms of effectiveness of the blades on the fans. The best one was again Nidec due to less but bigger blades ( kinda like the Xbox series x but with more blades of course ) the air pressure was stronger than the other 2 fans . The console wasn’t even warm during heavy games at 4k 60 FPS on both cod and spider man.
The second place was the new model . It also pushed the air in a good way but it wasn’t as strong as Nidec fan . The consoles I tested were barely warm which is also very good.

The one that comes in third place is the delta one. I believe that’s due the fan not actually having full blades to circle the air . If you take a look at the blades they are half blades ( wtf is up with this design . Delta designed the Xbox series x fans and it’s awesome. Why it’s like that with ps5 ? ) horrible . It’s like an old gpu blower style . The console was abit warm during heavy gaming . Nothing super bad of course but you can feel the heat and the pressure isn’t as strong ( you can almost feel it too from the hole in the middle of the ps5 that act as a dust filter )

so tldr ? From my finding Nidec is the best one. Nee model is close second ( about the same ) and delta ... well no .

all had it. Some are worse than others . No ps5 is immune from it . Lucky enough my Nidec ps5 was also the best one in terms of coil whine sound .

so when the OP said his second ps5 is worse, I have 100% believe him because it’s very possible )

this also seems to have different models . Some of them are fucking loud beyond beliefs . Like it almost makes the whole system shaking ( like they forgot to put anti vibration filter on some of them models .

Sorry for my English . Hope people can understand clearly. If anyone have questions please feel free to ask .

the perfect ps5 out of those 7 was from Costco .Others from Walmart , Best Buy , amazon and the source ( Canadian store only I assume )
Yeah I think they're using different drives as well as different fans, which is a shame because it's obvious that bigger blades rotating slower are better for noise and distributing heat efficiently. My XSX's fan isn't even audible a little. I thought it was broken at first. As for the bluray drive, some early previews said it was quiet whereas reviewers like Yong Yea listed the noise from the drive as his only real negative when it comes to the hardware. He said it was obnoxiously loud.

Mojoraisin

I listened to that video, and I'm pretty sure I can still hear the noise faintly at a different frequency outside of astro - which makes me think all three have the sticker issue.

Just that at lower revolutions it is hardly audible to anyone - because impact is proportional to force of impact, and the spacing (frequency) of the sound is further apart, so the noise diminishes quicker - without as much superposition of subsequent impacts.

Would be interesting to see the audio wave - to verify if it is impact noise - and a second recording from a metre away, so it isn't unrealistically loud from a 2inch distance.
Yeah I saw that video with the sticker too. Just seems unlikely 3 consoles all have the exact same issue? Why even put a fucking sticker close to a fan? Doesn’t it risk damaging the fan and bearings if it keeps hitting it?

Will have a look at the fan and see if I can see something.

Last edited:
Ok I don’t want to make a new thread about this because this is also related to the OP so listen to this carefully as it’s almost 100% as accurate as it will ever get.

Now to the topic .

Sorry for my English . Hope people can understand clearly. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask .

Careful man. You'll be called a FUD spreader for giving your thoughtful experience with the various PS5s you've had. It does look like coil whine is a real thing on the PS5 and it is not Xbox fans making up a story to hurt the Sony corp.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My ps5 has this noise too, it’s a type of electronic generator sound?

Low volume though. The PS4 pro also had this noise, demon souls for me makes it audible in a quiet room
Yeah well, you meant transformator? Those big boxes, sometimes on pole (in USA) or sometimes near roads. It's like that, also coil. So it's not fault, they whine by design, but there are measure how to avoid transmitting the noise outside of their casing.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
geordiemp geordiemp acting like the Sony Gestapo in this thread LMFAO! 🤣 Be careful Hostile_18 Hostile_18 , you’ll be getting a knock on your front door from him soon... ‘I CAN SEE AN XBOX YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT!!!’

Maybe it's time for Mod of War Mod of War to take the trash out.

What an embarrassing thread for the "tsmc engineer" who is clearly more intelligent than everyone else on Gaf. Having a total meltdown over coilwhine being common on the PS5.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
On Topic.

Xbones had common coil whine at launch back in 2013, it was just as annoying and unacceptable back then as it is now. Mine still has it 6 years after buying it. Makes using it as a media player a bad idea.

PCs having it isn't as bad as an issue since they usually aren't in the main living room and media rooms but on a game console it becomes unbearable especially in low sound floor environments when you have good hearing.

FrankWza

Now to the topic .

You should have taken pictures of all three so that everyone can have a point of reference and can identify their components.

Hostile_18

Banned
Small update the supervisor never rang despite them having a 48 hour window to do so. They can't even process my exchange until the supervisor has made contact since I requested the call two days ago, as it's been "marked in his tube" or some such...

M1chl

Small update the supervisor never rang despite them having a 48 hour window to do so. They can't even process my exchange until the supervisor has made contact since I requested the call two days ago, as it's been "marked in his tube" or some such...
Wonder if they watch this thread...

Hostile_18

Banned
Wonder if they watch this thread...

You'd hope Sony PR keep tabs on here and the other place. Nothing will ever come of it though because they have to be so careful to anything that may seem like taking liability for a design flaw. But from a customer perspective angle they should definitely get it sorted. More than likely it's a month I'm not spending money on the store. If I wasnt as dedicated to the Playstation brand as I am many others would probably have given up at this point. Still no process is perfect, I'll be phoning back up first thing tomorrow.

On another note if coil wine is apparently happening when the console is doing anything demanding i.e running a game would the discless version be more likely to be better? Or is the power draw of a UHD disc drive insignificant in the scheme of things (presuming the PSU is the same in both consoles).

M1chl

You'd hope Sony PR keep tabs on here and the other place. Nothing will ever come of it though because they have to be so careful to anything that may seem like taking liability for a design flaw. But from a customer perspective angle they should definitely get it sorted. More than likely it's a month I'm not spending money on the store. If I wasnt as dedicated to the Playstation brand as I am many others would probably have given up at this point. Still no process is perfect, I'll be phoning back up first thing tomorrow.

On another note if coil wine is apparently happening when the console is doing anything demanding i.e running a game would the discless version be more likely to be better? Or is the power draw of a UHD disc drive insignificant in the scheme of things (presuming the PSU is the same in both consoles).
It was meant to be joke, but yeah...I agree. However please keep in mind that technically is not really a defect. Probably same way as PS4 Pro being noisy with cooling. My brother has PS5 from first batch is made in Japan and you have to stick ear to the exhaust to hear it, nothing like with videos posted here.

FrankWza

Can you post pics of your fan? Maybe that’s why you’re having the issues? Could be a common build thing where some cheaper components are used together. Based on ninjas post it’s possible. Just pop off the cover. Takes 2 minutes

Hostile_18

Banned
Can you post pics of your fan? Maybe that’s why you’re having the issues? Could be a common build thing where some cheaper components are used together. Based on ninjas post it’s possible. Just pop off the cover. Takes 2 minutes

If my exchange gets confirmed (it should) ill take off the shell. I don't think it's the fan though as it's a different type of buzzing to fan noise. Its loudest at the bottom rear.

//DEVIL//

You should have taken pictures of all three so that everyone can have a point of reference and can identify their components.
Very easy .
If you open the top cover and you look at the inner circle of the fan:

- if it has 8 rectangular shaped around that circle then congrats it’s Nidec fan
- if it is 12 rectangular shapes and half blades, that’s delta.
- if it has no rectangular shapes and just flushed out circle , that is new the model ( same one in the tear down video )

fans though should not be your worry as it’s easy to replace without voiding your warranty one day from eBay . It’s the drive and coil whine how bad is it

Last edited:

FrankWza

If my exchange gets confirmed (it should) ill take off the shell. I don't think it's the fan though as it's a different type of buzzing to fan noise. Its loudest at the bottom rear.

what I’m saying is, maybe there’s a correlation with components. Maybe the cheap fans and the cheap components that lead to coil whine and the loud blu ray drives are being put together in the same factory. This way one knows to avoid a ps5 with that fan since it is easily recognizable without voiding warranty. There’s no way to tell by the outer packaging, but this would be the next best way to know.

Very easy .
If you open the front cover and look at the fan. If you look at the inner circle:

- if it has 8 rectangular shaped around that circle then congrats it’s Nidec fan
- if it as 12 rectangular shapes and half blades, that’s delta
- if it has no rectangular shapes and just flushed out circle , that is new the model ( same one in the tear down video )

fans though should not be your worry as it’s easy to replace without voiding your warranty one day from eBay . It’s the drive and coil whine how bad is it

Top Bottom