• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: ASUS ROG Ally Closing in on 500K Units Sold

Bernoulli

M2 slut
If true good start for them

The recently released ROG Ally handheld gaming console from Asustek Computer has garnered popularity and generated estimated quarterly sales of up to NT$10 billion (US$318.6 million), according to company sources.
Some rough napkin math: If we round the ASUS ROG Ally price down to around $700 per device, that roughly works out to around 455,000 units sold.

Of course, prices vary from territory to territory, so take that above figure with a pinch of salt until ASUS releases some official numbers. Still, if the £318.6 million in revenue is accurate, the ROG Ally is off to a solid start indeed.

JCK75

Valve at some point is going to have go find a store to partner with..
I mean the nerds like myself have no issue with the current model but my girlfriends kids have played mine and have been begging for one..
They asked their grandma to get it for christmas and she most likely will.. which means she's going to come to me to order it for her because she would not have the
slightest clue how to get one.

Mr Hyde

Sounds like great numbers. I'm very happy so far with the Ally, it's a great device, albeit with a few annoying issues that hopefully irons out in the long run. And the more it sells, the more Asus (hopefully) feels inclined to support it. Next up is a million units.

mhirano

The ROG Ally is a great device but its problems are too much for me: I can't cope with a SD card slot that burns the cards and itself. For me, the Steam Deck is unmatched.

Codes 208

Congrats, but honestly i ended up returning mine after two weeks. I was very underwhelmed by this $700 steam deck “killer”.

Partly because the performance to battery life wasnt worth the 25w mode, and also because the backside was a nightmare to get my hands around with cramping. Even the switch is more comfortable to hold in handheld mode

Mr.Phoenix

I have one weird question.

If the PS Q controller/handheld....whatever it is goes on to sell 1M units in say its first 1-6 months.

Are we gonna say it's a success and off to a good start?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It's not a bad number, but you also have to take into account that you can/could get the Steam Deck only from Valve and that's it for most parts of the world.
By now I think you can also get it from Amazon?

Not sure, but not really comparable to the Ally being sold in a lot of stores directly.

Last edited:
I've had mine for about a month and im very happy with it, its a great device. I ran into the SD card issue though. It didn't kill my card, but the reader isn't working. Waiting to see what comes of it from ASUS. I've moved my ROMs to the internal drive as a workaround.

mhirano

If the PS Q controller/handheld....whatever it is goes on to sell 1M units in say its first 1-6 months.

Apples to oranges. PS Q is an accessory, not a standalone device.

Davevil

applause-the-rock.gif

Mr Hyde

Has anyone done the EGPU add-on for the Ally? If so, how is it treating you?

I'm doing it! It works okay. It's a bit buggy when hooking it up or deactivating it (XG Mobile doesn't get recognized, not deactivating properly etc) but overall it's pretty darn great. Wish it was more seamless but it is what it is. Transforms the Ally into beast mode which makes me having it more in docked mode than handheld. I have a picture on it too.

q30EgTb.jpg

Interfectum

I'm doing it! It works okay. It's a bit buggy when hooking it up or deactivating it (XG Mobile doesn't get recognized, not deactivating properly etc) but overall it's pretty darn great. Wish it was more seamless but it is what it is. Transforms the Ally into beast mode which makes me having it more in docked mode than handheld. I have a picture on it too.

q30EgTb.jpg
which XG mobile did you get? and how loud is it if you want to hook it up in your living room behind or next to a 4K tv?

Mr Hyde

I got the 2022 model. Radeon Rx 6850 mxt. The 4090 model is said to be overkill for the Ally (and it's super expensive). The XG Mobile can get pretty loud with the fans from time to time, so a couple of headphones is recommended if you get annoyed by that (or a good Soundsystem). I also recommend getting some form of laptop stand, because the kickstand is pretty wack. Other than that it kicks ass.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

90% of video game podcasters will say it failed because they are going to compare its sells numbers to the Switch and not the ROG Ally or Steam Deck.

Mr.Phoenix

90% of video game podcasters will say it failed because they are going to compare its sells numbers to the Switch and not the ROG Ally or Steam Deck.
Something is very wrong with that comparison.

In truth, its sales should be compared to an optional first-party racing wheel or specialized controller thingy.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
honestly yes.

Switch is in a league of its own and it's not a standard which other handhelds should be held to. Nintendo has the advantage of insane brand recognition and essentially inventing the handheld gaming market, naturally nothing will come close, not even this Q handheld which doesn't even have any hardware of its own

Sleepwalker

I was gonna get an ally but I already own a deck and in all honesty for $200-300 more you can grab a laptop with a dedicated gpu that will annihilate the ally in performance. At 500ish it mightve been an impulse buy.

Sleepwalker

Where is this info coming from?

I remember seeing one too that it was BB's most returned product but can't find it. These are mostly just people's experiences rather than a statement from BB but where theres smoke...

They even have/had a megathread on returns at the ally subreddit.

GHG

I remember seeing one too that it was BB's most returned product but can't find it. These are mostly just people's experiences rather than a statement from BB but where theres smoke...

They even have/had a megathread on returns at the ally subreddit.

That's nuts but not all too surprising considering some of the more in depth (p)reviews that were out there prior to release.

Last edited:

Grechy34

The ROG Ally is a great device but its problems are too much for me: I can't cope with a SD card slot that burns the cards and itself. For me, the Steam Deck is unmatched.

This. Can't deal with this issue personally,

You can't compare a gaming laptop to what a handheld offers. I have a gaming laptop and it's not the same experience as a handheld. Far from it,

Last edited:

Deerock71

It's not a bad number, but you also have to take into account that you can/could get the Steam Deck only from Valve and that's it for most parts of the world.
By now I think you can also get it from Amazon?

Not sure, but not really comparable to the Ally being sold in a lot of stores directly.
You can't blame Steam's distribution methods here; the ROG Ally was the beneficiary of a superior distribution model.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
You can't blame Steam's distribution methods here; the ROG Ally was the beneficiary of a superior distribution model.
.... which it was only able to do because it already had the infrastructure and contacts for a distribution like that.
Valve didn't.

Also, are those 500k units those that were actually sold to end customers or those sold to stores (which then hope to sell them to end customers)?
Very often, manufacturers will tell the former number as it tends to be a lot bigger.
Valve's numbers are all end customer, because, well, there is no middle man...

Either way, the results are that Valve sold around the same or more (bit hard to get the exact numbers for the same amount of time, I could only find numbers for 2022 as a whole) with a worse distribution model.
Make of that what you will.

I'd also hope that Valve would get their product into stores directly, but I have no clue if they even intend to.
It's pretty clear by its success that they wouldn't need to - on the other hand, they'd likely sell more if they did.

In the past, Valve has been known to go for stable growth rather than "as much as possible as fast as possible".
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

twilo99

How does this compare to a series s in terms of computing power? It’s obviously drawing less energy, so I’m just curious how efficient that platform is.

This whole category is all about the hardware.. we will get to a point where it will be good enough for most people, I don’t think it’s there yet, maybe a generation or two away.

//DEVIL//

That thing doesn't function on its own. and it's probably half the price of steam deck lowest version.

It's a controller with a screen and a processor that is barely powerful enough to steam your PS5 games.

by default, I hope it fails. because Sony is doing the PSP and PS Vita dirty with this shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks like people really prefer windows OS over steam OS at higher price tag

This will always be the case, you will have the vocal minorities on the internet screaming how shit windows is but in reality the general public have no issue with it and would prefer it to a closed eco system.

kubricks

Never like ASUS product but it's good that there are more competition in the handheld PC market.
A few years back who would have thought we can play full fat PC AAA games on a small handheld?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well I bought the steam deck and ally…but both are too weak for my taste might buy a gaming laptop and sell both.

Top Bottom