• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Avowed, Fable to be in the Xbox Games Showcase

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For a AAA RPG who is supposed to be one of the biggest Xbox's games?

Well, considering the Xbox's quality of management and all the rumours surround Fable, I don't be really surprised if it have the same quality than Redfall, and in that circunstances is possible see the game being released early.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

Always these kind of posts ..

kaizenkko

Redfall wasnt on Xbox. Plus the studio that is making this game is playground. They are last ones from Xbox team that you can question about their quality output.
I repeat what I said in my last post: Playground don't have any experience making RPG games. I think it's really different to make a RPG game than making a racing game. But we'll see the true tomorrow.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I wonder how will they execute the magic casting.
With graphics these days, I hope they make a detailed magic missiles.
I'm hoping that it feels like a first person PoE/BG and not just Obsidian's take on Skyrim. I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way.

skit_data

Nice, it's gonna be interesting to see both games. Playground making Fable feels like one of the most interesting genre-transitions ever.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

People shouldn’t be hyped for Fable as it isn’t a big IP, but is also at the same time one of Microsoft’s biggest AAA games?
The dude can't even spell properly and doesn't know the difference between the word who and is. I wouldn't take him to seriously.

feynoob

Banned
I repeat what I said in my last post: Playground don't have any experience making RPG games. I think it's really different to make a RPG game than making a racing game. But we'll see the true tomorrow.
Neither did Guerilla Games when they made Horizon Zero Dawn. They never done a open world 3rd person rpg game. All they ever did was FPS. At the end of the day it's about the developer and not the genre that dictates success lol.

kaizenkko

Neither did Guerilla Games when they made Horizon Zero Dawn. They never done a open world 3rd person rpg game. All they ever did was FPS. At the end of the day it's about the developer and not the genre that dictates success lol.
I'm not saying Playground will fail, I'm just saying: calm down. People always get too much excitement about those events and it NEVERS pay.

gothmog

Gold Member
Its a first person game. though not like PoE.
That's why I said like a first person PoE or Baldurs Gate. Something with strong DNA from those games around leveling and other systems. I love BGS games but really want to see a first person RPG with a more traditional mapping around classes and such instead of your character eventually just skilling up everything and becoming the jack of all trades.

feynoob

Banned
That's why I said like a first person PoE or Baldurs Gate. Something with strong DNA from those games around leveling and other systems. I love BGS games but really want to see a first person RPG with a more traditional mapping around classes and such instead of your character eventually just skilling up everything and becoming the jack of all trades.
It will be a blend of their core rpg with outer world.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Let's wait for tomorrow. Just set up your expectations, guys. It's better be surprised than be dissapointed.

Playground Games 2nd team is headed and staffed by RPG and third person action adventure experts, the 1st team is still a Forza Horizon team as far as we know.
They could have named the second studio Albion Games and maybe half the trolls people saying Playground dont have experience might STFU.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fable's team didn't exist at all early 2018, they had to hire like crazy for the first couple years, and, while the game isn't a new IP, they have nothing to recycle for the previous ones. Also it's supposed to be an open world RPG, which normally are the ones that take the longest to develop, so 2025 in the best of cases would be my call too.

They had a base from existing Playground staff since 2017, and started hiring industry veterans from early 2018. You really don’t need the full squad for the pre-production stage.

Add in the fact that the game’s being made with an engine they’re extremely proficient in and I’d be surprised if this wasn’t a 2024 release.

2025 would be if there is any delays. It will be early 2024 or late 2024 like starfield.
You wont show a 2025 game in this showcase.

Why wouldn't they show a 2025 game in this showcase? :S

And Starfield has been in development since 2015, by a big and established team, while Fable's team started exisiting in 2018, obviously Starfield will be a way bigger game, but yea..

They had a base from existing Playground staff since 2017, and started hiring industry veterans from early 2018. You really don’t need the full squad for the pre-production stage.

Add in the fact that the game’s being made with an engine they’re extremely proficient in and I’d be surprised if this wasn’t a 2024 release.

Yet it's their first RPG, even experts on the genre like CDProjekt, Larian or Bethesda are taking 6+ years for their most recent games, can't see Playground taking the same time or less

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Why wouldn't they show a 2025 game in this showcase? :S

And Starfield has been in development since 2015, by a big and established team, while Fable's team started exisiting in 2018, obviously Starfield will be a way bigger game, but yea..
Bethesda and Rockstar are known to take too long for their games, as their games are huge.

Shh

I've always loved Fable. If the new Fable is good, it could be my excuse to get an Xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
Let's wait for tomorrow. Just set up your expectations, guys. It's better be surprised than be dissapointed.

How about the novel strategy of letting people set their own expectation levels themselves?
Playground has never make a RPG game, and Xbox recent past doesn't give me confidence that this game will be something insane. And the only reason of people considering Fable something relevant, is because Xbox players are completly desesperate for games.

I suspect if you weren't desperate for games to play yourself, you wouldnt be in a showcase thread for a console you don't own, trying to dampen enthusiasm and downplay IP.

Have you considered subscribing to PS Plus Extra? I use it and it's an excellent library of great games to play.

Markio128

I’m genuinely looking forward to the show, mainly because I haven’t got a clue what to expect, and also because MS must have plenty to show by now.

I was never big into the original Fable, purely because it really didn’t live up to expectations, but a well-made Olde English RPG sounds good to me. Avowed? I hear it mentioned a lot, but I have barely seen anything of it. Hellblade 2 will surely be a graphical showcase, but I wasn’t convinced of the game from the last showing, so it’ll be intriguing to see more.

If MS can fill half the time with 1st party games, then it’ll be a winner for sure.

lucbr

People are getting expectation too high, even Fable, who is not even a big IP, and was a lot of reportly development issues, is getting tease like something big. Tomorrow will be a fun day, lol.

I myself am very excited. Maybe is a generation thing but Fable was huge In the 360 era. If I am not mistaken it was the best selling RPG or ARPG of the 360. The fall of Fable, like Halo and others, has also a lot to do with the decline of Xbox after the Xbox One fiasco.

Most importantly, is a Playground game, a Studio with I trust and have only made great games (yes, racing games are games). About the development issues we "heard" from "insiders", well, I've heard this from every other game.

Fable is big and we should be very excited. Now, will they deliver? We have to wait until tomorrow. After Rift Apart my excitement and hype for Spider 2 was huge. I liked what I saw but still came disappointed. Hope the same doesn't occur tomorrow.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Fable started development in 2020. Sequels like God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West have take 5 years of development, and these are games made by very structured teams, with a lot of support studios. Even if Fable don't have the same vallue of production, don't expect to see this game being lanch before 2026 at minimum.
Fable actually has been in development since 2017. It has been 6 years already.

Matt_Fox

Avowed, Dragons Dogma 2, and Elder Scrolls VI are my three most anticipated games (yes, I like fantasy RPGs!). And looks like I'll be seeing two out of three on Sunday and Monday.

Fable not sure about the stylised cartoonish aesthetic of the series thus far - does anyone prefer it over realistic?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Avowed, Dragons Dogma 2, and Elder Scrolls VI are my three most anticipated games (yes, I like fantasy RPGs!). And looks like I'll be seeing two out of three on Sunday and Monday.

Fable not sure about the stylised cartoonish aesthetic of the series thus far - does anyone prefer it over realistic?
Its a reboot. It wont be the old style, as those were restricted to the graphics at that time.

Robb

Gold Member
Fable seems guaranteed based on the glitter teaser. Would love to see Avowed though, I’ve been very curious about that one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fable seems guaranteed based on the glitter teaser. Would love to see Avowed though, I’ve been very curious about that one.

Imagine that. They'll have premier games in both the sci-fi and fantasy RPG genres at the show if the leaks are true.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Playground has never make a RPG game, and Xbox recent past doesn't give me confidence that this game will be something insane. And the only reason of people considering Fable something relevant, is because Xbox players are completly desesperate for games.
Party pooper trying a little too hard?

OG Fable got 85 MC
Fable 2 got 89
Fable 3 got 80

Not only are they great games but they’re completely unique from a gameplay perspective.

kaizenkko

How about the novel strategy of letting people set their own expectation levels themselves?

I suspect if you weren't desperate for games to play yourself, you wouldnt be in a showcase thread for a console you don't own, trying to dampen enthusiasm and downplay IP.

Have you considered subscribing to PS Plus Extra? I use it and it's an excellent library of great games to play.
Bro, calm down. You can do whatever you want with your hype, it don't change nothing to me actually. I just think you will be disappointed, but thats a normal feeling for a Xbox fan. lol

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing Fable.

I’m easily expecting it to ‘look’ better than Horizon Forbidden West as it’s designed with current gen in mind and not last gen.

Outside of that, I want a great single player Fable with no online crap in there at all.

Animations need to be top tier - again Horizon FW is king here for NPC conversations and dialogue.

Fable is the only IP that Microsoft (and Bethesda) have that I truly care about.

It’s got a great team making it, a fantastic engine - it has to hit it out the park for me.

I'm not saying Playground will fail, I'm just saying: calm down. People always get too much excitement about those events and it NEVERS pay.
thanks for telling everyone how they should or shouldn't feel in a thread where people know exactly what they are looking for and anticipating what they want. It helps a ton! /s

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
People are getting expectation too high, even Fable, who is not even a big IP, and was a lot of reportly development issues, is getting tease like something big. Tomorrow will be a fun day, lol.

Fable started development in 2020. Sequels like God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West have take 5 years of development, and these are games made by very structured teams, with a lot of support studios. Even if Fable don't have the same vallue of production, don't expect to see this game being lanch before 2026 at minimum.

The Daily Show Wtf GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Top Bottom