• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

I am going to repost this with the other stuff that someone tried to rebut my argument because I seriously think this stuff isn't clear for some of you and that you should try to reread this in the context of what is being presented to investors.

First, from the presentation that someone tried to rebut my argument.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

The following is from January 31st 2013.

As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

The bolded is what people point to and say, "That's proof! Nintendo aren't making a hybrid, Iwata said so!"

Please, read this in the context of what is being said to investors. He is trying to clearly explain to investors what integrating the architectures for their future platforms means. He then says, "What we mean..." to clarify to investors what is going on so that they do not misunderstand things what merging platforms means. They are investors, the majority of them don't know how hardware works. He didn't deny a hybrid console in the context of what was being said.

Next, the following is from a Q&A in January 30th 2014.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

I am posting some of the answer. Click the link for the rest.

Q5:
You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.

A5:

In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

He doesn't confirm what the NX is, he doesn't confirm that it's a hybrid but he doesn't confirm that it will have multiple form factors. He goes on about the architecture integration and then has ideas about whether there should be one form factor or multiple form factors for this integrated architecture.

He then uses Apple and Android as examples and wonders about whether consumers will just demand only one device in the future.

You guys should be reading this in the context of the rumours we have now about the NX being a hybrid, there was nothing stated that denied a hybrid. Nor has there been anything that has confirmed a hybrid, same deal for the multiple form factors.

I want someone to try to rebut what I said because there is clearly some reading comprehension problems happening at the moment because people have forgotten what was stated about something over two years ago.

Edit: Here's another fact. Things change.
Remember when Iwata was adamant that Nintendo would not develop games for mobile? Except Nintendo declared in 2015 that they would develop mobile games? Things change.

It's the exact same thing with rumours, things will change with regards to rumours, you might hear that a particular game is getting revealed at E3, suddenly it's not there, why? Well things changed and the game got delayed. That's why rumours can change too, but it doesn't suddenly mean that the rumour was fake (except for fake rumours of course). It had to have happened in reality at some point in time.

deleted

It would also be a bad move to announce and release in 2 month for 3rd parties.
The least they could do for them, is give them a decent amount of time for pre-orders.

January to March isn't enough to put potential 3rd party ports in the spotlight and guarantee better sell through numbers than they got on the Wii U.

It should happen this year.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
How many of you guys actually play portables? I don't really deal with them at all since I don't commute on public transit and if I'm at home I'm either in front of a PC or my TV. I don't think I'd buy this simply based on the portability factor. I'd rather have a dedicated console so I hope it has that functionality in it when it launches.

Funny thing, my husband and I each have our own N3DS but we NEVER take it out with us, unless we're going somewhere we know we'd be sitting around for quite sometime.

There's just something special about laying in bed after a long hard day at work and just letting yourself mentally go into the 3DS environment, like checking out Streetpass Mii Plaza (thanks Raspberry Pi), Nintendo Badge Arcade for trying to get a daily free-play, or choosing a game to play for a few hours that evening whether it be a main 3DS game or something else such as a Gameboy Color game or an Indie game.

I dunno if it's because I'm zoned in solely on the 3DS screen when I'm playing in bed, but the effect isn't exactly the same when I'm playing Wii U or PS4 on my living room TV, the space between myself and the TV kinda breaks that "immersion" feeling I get with my 3DS or Vita in bed.

Genio88

It would also be a bad move to announce and release in 2 month for 3rd parties.
The least they could do for them, is give them a decent amount of time for pre-orders.

January to March isn't enough to put potential 3rd party ports in the spotlight and guarantee better sell through numbers than they got on the Wii U.

It should happen this year.

What? do you really think they didn't give development kits to third party yet? We(consumers) are the only ones who don't know what NX is, the major third party developers have been already making games for NX for over a year

The key is One Library. No more split resources. That has steered the direction of this system from the start.

I still don't see the NX being the only system to carry Nintendo for the next 4-5 years. Either there will be more of them releasing in a year or two that's stronger or there are different looking NX systems that can play the same games, but maybe in a more traditional way with just a console.

Nintendo has never done one system to carry themselves for 4-5 years without introducing another system a year or two after one system launches.

Genio88

Funny thing, my husband and I each have our own N3DS but we NEVER take it out with us, unless we're going somewhere we know we'd be sitting around for quite sometime.

There's just something special about laying in bed after a long hard day at work and just letting yourself mentally go into the 3DS environment, like checking out Streetpass Mii Plaza (thanks Raspberry Pi), Nintendo Badge Arcade for trying to get a daily free-play, or choosing a game to play for a few hours that evening whether it be a main 3DS game or something else such as a Gameboy Color game or an Indie game.

I dunno if it's because I'm zoned in solely on the 3DS screen when I'm playing in bed, but the effect isn't exactly the same when I'm playing Wii U or PS4 on my living room TV, the space between myself and the TV kinda breaks that "immersion" feeling I get with my 3DS or Vita in bed.

Yes, same for me and i guess the majority of 3DS/handheld owners, we end up playing these console mostly at home, though it's not like we are not taking advantages of them doing so, being able to play wherever you want inside home, in every couch, bed, room, it's awesome

spekkeh

Banned
I still don't see the NX being the only system to carry Nintendo for the next 4-5 years. Either there will be more of them releasing in a year or two that's stronger or there are different looking NX systems that can play the same games, but maybe in a more traditional way with just a console.

Nintendo has never done one system to carry themselves for 4-5 years without introducing another system a year or two after one system launches.
QoL?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RE: Smash roster rumour

It's automatically fake as we all know they'll include an iDOLM@STER character before a Tekken one.

Hermii

My hypothesis is that they will release more form factors using Tegra architecture. Correct me, but I think its possible in theory to get tegra up to 4 tflops in a home console form factor, plenty good enough for Nintendo.

Eh. Maybe if it plays video games, then it could be it.

Or Nintendo could think their mobile games would be really good to only need one NX system to carry them 4-5 years.

My hypothesis is that they will release more form factors using Tegra architecture. Correct me, but I think its possible in theory to get tegra up to 4 tflops in a home console form factor, plenty good enough for Nintendo.

I definitely think form factors is the right word. It sticks with Iwatas ecosystem and same OS and the hybrid is just the first to come. I'm not sure about the 4 tflops part though.

It seems there is a Nintendo Network maintenance on Sept. 12th/13th. I want to think that it gives more credit to the Sept. 13th reveal date.

Believe ^^

Roelatie

The key is One Library. No more split resources. That has steered the direction of this system from the start.

what if the dock is the resource of the huge Nintendo library. The console has 32 gig and the dock is able to switch the games.

Damn Nintendo, just show us!

deleted

What? do you really think they didn't give development kits to third party yet? We(consumers) are the only ones who don't know what NX is, the major third party developers have been already making games for NX for over a year

No, of course they have dev kits. But third parties rely on pre-order sales more than Nintendo to determine future development and support.
They can reveal ports and games only when Nintendo has revealed the console. And 2 month wouldn't be enough time, especially after the end of the biggest sales months..

spekkeh

Banned
Eh. Maybe if it plays video games, then it could be it.

Or Nintendo could think their mobile games would be really good to only need one NX system to carry them 4-5 years.
Well the Wii U only really cost them money, so going only portable would make sense (short term) business wise. I can see them put all their games business in one thing to make sure they have a solid income stream, and then try smaller excursions for new income streams. Surely most of the QoL will have some kind of play (like no other tm) element because that's Nintendo's brand.

J@hranimo

Banned

Of course it won't be the only system! We have the 3DS, the NES Classic Mini, the SNES Classic Mini....lol

2 months is not enough time. I'm sorry the reveal needs to be before the holidays.

Get the kiosks in stores. Have it in GameStop and Walmart and Target before the holidays. Get it on kids minds and let the information spread. Show off all the games coming. Mindshare? Nintendo doesn't have that. Put that mindshare in the younger audiences mind 5-6 months out.

People need time to play it and marketing needs time to push and push it. And there better damn be a commercial at the Super Bowl. If this is target towards casuals, then I better see a commercial for the NX during the Super Bowl.

KingBroly

Banned
2 months is not enough time. I'm sorry the reveal needs to be before the holidays.

Get the kiosks in stores. Have it in GameStop and Walmart and Target before the holidays. Get it on kids minds and let the information spread. Show off all the games coming. Mindshare? Nintendo doesn't have that. Put that mindshare in the younger audiences mind 5-6 months out.

People need time to play it and marketing needs time to push and push it. And there better damn be a commercial at the Super Bowl. If this is target towards casuals, then I better see a commercial for the NX during the Super Bowl.

Getting kiosks in stores before the holidays won't really help because money will be spent during the holidays on stuff not the NX. It'll be 'oh, that's nice, but that's too far off. I'll get this now.'

oti

Banned
I wake up, see that this thread has 5 new pages (100 posts per page only way to live) and yet there's no new info, is it.

This is Dante's tenth circle of hell.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
I think people need to reread that question with the context we have now. He never denied a hybrid or confirmed it, his answer also takes examples of where Nintendo could go forward from integrating hardware architecture.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

I am posting some of the answer. Click the link for the rest.

Edit: He doesn't confirm anything because things were probably still under planning seeing as this question was from January 30th 2014.

They needed to know what form factors would be feasible, hence he wasn't sure about integrating form factors because of the tech at the time. Remember someone mentioned that the Wii U Gamepad was meant to be portable?

Edit 2: Had to correct the date.

So that sounds like Codename NX is actually more about creating a Nintendo version of iOS. Even though we know a "hybrid" console will be announced soon, NX is more about the operating system and the fact that game development is the same whether you're creating a game for a handheld or a home console.

Getting kiosks in stores before the holidays won't really help because money will be spent during the holidays on stuff not the NX. It'll be 'oh, that's nice, but that's too far off. I'll get this now.'
Funnily enough I kind of agree lol. It really doesn't matter because Nintendo said this fall and I should base my premise off of that. January is out of the question and Nintendo seems to agree with that going by their words.

That leaves now until December.

I think the idea is that lots of casuals who might otherwise miss being exposed the NX would be exposed to it during the holiday season, whether or not they end up buying something else. When you are going for casual awareness, you want to hit the prime time for casuals, and that's the holiday season. Then in March when it launches, there will be millions of people who already know what the product being sold actually IS.

Yeah holiday season is the time where everybody is thinking buy buy buy and shop shop shop. More people will be out and about shopping. There will be more exposure to the NX. It doesn't matter if they can't buy it at the time. What matters is the exposure is there at the time most people are out shopping.

Nintendo has us, they need the wider audience who's not paying attention to video game news.

Reveal on September 30 at 23:59.

lyVusqql.jpg

Speely

Banned

I think the idea is that lots of casuals who might otherwise miss being exposed the NX would be exposed to it during the holiday season, whether or not they end up buying something else. When you are going for casual awareness, you want to hit the prime time for casuals, and that's the holiday season. Then in March when it launches, there will be millions of people who already know what the product being sold actually IS.

Edit: That said, I don't think they will have kiosks in stores for holidays.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you want to use this as proof, then you'd have to post the previous Q & A as well to keep things in context. You can't just post one and ignore the other:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

Oh, look, it's the same dance over and over again. That's a definition of the concept that was the basis for the reorganisation that took place at that time at Nintendo. It's to make clear what they did and why they did it. It's just the make clear to the investors what that project was about. It says nothing about what will happen 4 years down the line.

Also that was January 2013, the time when Nintendo was also believing that 1 game is enough to make Wii U successful. Let's remind us about it while we consider everything Iwata said back then as a gospel:

The Wii U has a lot of factors appreciated by users, including the possibilities of the Wii U GamePad and Miiverse, and we are confident that it will have high sales potential once they are familiar to more consumers. We hope to change the situation from now and make a drastic improvement before the latter half of the year starts.

We will have few titles to be released early this year, but our software lineup will be gradually made stronger from spring to summer. To give sales momentum to the hardware, from the latter half of this year to next year, we will intensively launch our key titles including those we announced in the Wii U Direct - Nintendo Games presentation last week.
As a decisive factor in buying a console is that you cannot play a much-anticipated title without the hardware, we will make a lot of such titles available during this time.

Now go and check the Wii U line-up for 2013 especially the strong spring to summer period, just to see how much value you can put on these statements even for the same year, so much for predicting what it will happen in 2017.

Kikorin

Better this than Wii U that was badly revealed like 2 years before the launch. But now is time to reveal NX, if they want to launch it in march.

ggx2ac

So that sounds like Codename NX is actually more about creating a Nintendo version of iOS. Even though we know a "hybrid" console will be announced soon, NX is more about the operating system and the fact that game development is the same whether you're creating a game for a handheld or a home console.

Yes, and whether there will be multiple form factors is determined by us, the consumers.

If the NX is hugely successful with mobile games, there will be a tablet only version.

If the NX is mainly played in docked mode, there would be a console only version, but it doesn't guarantee it will be stronger than the other consoles.

The point is whatever data they get and what sales figures are telling them will determine what devices they'll sell us.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
Yes, same for me and i guess the majority of 3DS/handheld owners, we end up playing these console mostly at home, though it's not like we are not taking advantages of them doing so, being able to play wherever you want inside home, in every couch, bed, room, it's awesome

And from what we think we know the NX console to be, it's actually going to be PERFECT for people like us. A lot of times, my husband says he wishes he could be playing Tropical Freeze in bed. The only other way for him to do that right now is to disconnect the Wii U from the living room TV, and bring to our bedroom, and connect it there. Otherwise, the gamepad loses connection when trying to play from the living room.

Malus

Chû Totoro;215924602 said:
It seems there is a Nintendo Network maintenance on Sept. 12th/13th. I want to think that it gives more credit to the Sept. 13th reveal date.

Believe ^^

I'm believing as hard as I can.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Interesting if the TV out is on the unit and not the dock. Not how I would have done it personally.

I myself would have gone with the WiiU's wireless tech and have the unit simply stream to the TV via HDMI receiver that doubles as a dock.

You know I just thought how great it's going to be in BotW to ride your horse with your left controller (stick) and use your right controller to aim your arrows at the Guardians.

Idk how they did it in TP for Wii, but man it sounds a hell of a lot easier with the two separate remotes compared to one remote, since now you can use one remote to point aim your arrows on the tv.

I just got this idea because I'm watching the Gamexplains analysis of BotW and it's showing the fight between Link on the horse and the Guardian. Lol

I didn't like the horse riding and aiming arrows in TPHD for the Wii U. I was really annoyed with it.

ggx2ac

Interesting if the TV out is on the unit and not the dock. Not how I would have done it personally.

I myself would have gone with the WiiU's wireless tech and have the unit simply stream to the TV via HDMI receiver that doubles as a dock.

That is probably what may happen. (Which is why people think it's a dev-kit only feature.)
It would be considered unwieldy to hook an HDMI from the NX to the TV.

It's easier to have the dock hook up to the TV with an HDMI cable and then the NX streams to the dock which displays the image on the TV. It's then easier to plug a charger to the NX because it only needs a power point like the Wii U Gamepad.

Think how bad it would be with the NX device, if it had both an HDMI cable and a charger cable sticking out of it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Having only the possibility to stream to the TV and not directly connect to the TV (via the dock) would be a bad idea if they want to sell this as a hybrid. As great as the streaming tech is on Wii U, it's still not 100% reliable and it's still dependable on the outside factors.

You can't sell the "play everywhere, at home on your TV* or on the way" with:

*unless you have the router too close, or too many neighbours with WiFi or ....

ggx2ac

Having only the possibility to stream to the TV and not directly connect to the TV (via the dock) would be a bad idea if they want to sell this as a hybrid. As great as the streaming tech is on Wii U, it's still not 100% reliable and it's still dependable on the outside factors.

You can't sell the "play everywhere, at home on your TV* or on the way" with:

*unless you have the router too close, or too many neighbours with WiFi or ....

For it to stream directly to the TV via the dock without any wireless tech, you'd still need something like an HDMI cable to connect to the dock or to the TV from the NX.

I just think then it would have to stayed docked in either wired method because those cables aren't exactly flexible like controller cables. (The majority of HDMI cables I mean. They are pretty thick compared to controller cables.)

Mr Swine

Banned
For it to stream directly to the TV via the dock without any wireless tech, you'd still need something like an HDMI cable to connect to the dock or to the TV from the NX.

I just think then it would have to stayed docked in either wired method because those cables aren't exactly flexible like controller cables.

Why not make it compatible with Chromecast?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I just think then it would have to stayed docked in either wired method because those cables aren't exactly flexible like controller cables.

My bet it's on a proprietary plug for NX on the dock that will include both HDMI and USB comm. And a HDMI connection from the dock to the TV. Maybe optional streaming if you want to use it as a controller in full. But I think streaming doesn't have too much benefit outside of that.

ggx2ac

Like smartphone games? It was just a suggestion for people like me that own a Chromecast

Well okay, I just couldn't answer your question properly because the only thing that popped in my head was, "I don't get why Nintendo would use a competitor's HDMI dongle over using their own 5GHz Wireless tech."

TLZ

Banned
Oh, look, it's the same dance over and over again. That's a definition of the concept that was the basis for the reorganisation that took place at that time at Nintendo. It's to make clear what they did and why they did it. It's just the make clear to the investors what that project was about. It says nothing about what will happen 4 years down the line.

Also that was January 2013, the time when Nintendo was also believing that 1 game is enough to make Wii U successful. Let's remind us about it while we consider everything Iwata said back then as a gospel:

Now go and check the Wii U line-up for 2013 especially the strong spring to summer period, just to see how much value you can put on these statements even for the same year, so much for predicting what it will happen in 2017.

The whole point of my post was to show the full picture of what Iwata meant by 'integrated', instead of just showing one part of it. The older Q and A showed what it is, the conception, why it was made and it's future.

You missed the point completely and went dancing to your own tune again.

ggx2ac

I find it hilarious that after making this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215916015

Which was talking about a Q&A session from January 2014

And then seeing TLZ make this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215919570

Which was talking about a briefing presentation from January 2013.

To which I gave my rebuttal here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215919840

I see SuperMetalDave tweeting about that same presentation briefing from 2013 of that same quote approximately 40 minutes later arguing against the idea NX is a hybrid using those posts.

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772678301802389504

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772679121595838464

Again, I'm only laughing because of the timing of this.

For anyone that hasn't read my updated post it's here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215923839

I am arguing that multiple form factors haven't been confirmed or denied, same deal with a hybrid.

Read my post to understand the context of what was being said to those investors and you'll see a year later that Iwata wasn't sure whether to have one form factor or multiple.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The whole point of my post was to show the full picture of what Iwata meant by 'integrated', instead of just showing one part of it. The older Q and A showed what it is, the conception, why it was made and it's future.

You missed the point completely and went dancing to your own tune again.

The full picture of what Iwata meant by "integrated" in the context of Nintendo reorganisation. Not in the context of NX.

I wonder if NX will somewhere use the same port as the bottom of the Wii controller, or I guess just continue to let Wii Remotes be used? Since the NES Classic is introducing the NES controller that plugs in that way so soon before the NX's release, I wonder if they intend for it to be a continuing standard for their major and "Classic" machines to share.
I think that's the part I still have difficulty wrapping my head around. So playing on the TV with the pad docked and in multiplayer settings on the go, you play it Wii style, but in handheld mode you play it like a traditional controller? That means every game should support two or three really different control schemes.
"Wii style" and "traditional controller" aren't so different, except that with Wii style each half can be moved independently. Using only one of the parts would I guess be the equivalent of using only the Wii Remote instead of Remote+Nunchuk, something only some games would have support for.
This I like and it would actually make the console ambidextrous for once for all dem lefties out there...
Wii was pretty good about that since you could just switch which hand held wiimote and nunchuk, and even DS was sometimes decent about it, allowing "left hand plus stylus" or "right hand plus stylus" play.
Imagine your average kid trying to pick up any of these mockups and figure out how to play.
Are they really more problematic than Wii? Which did preeeetty okay with kids.
But that pretty much flies in the face of Nintendo saying that it won't be a successor to the Wii U.
Something that merges their portable and console lines is not going to be seen as the direct successor to either. Avengers was not Iron Man 3 or Thor 2.
Pls don't replace the d-pad split or not with another set of buttons. Honestly, these controllers should be more like a Wiimote and nunchuck than two seperate controllers. For some reason every mock-up gets this wrong because I doubt it would be used much due to its sheer impracticality.
Disagree. Wii Remote and Nunchuk would've been better and more versatile if they were combined and one was given to each hand, too.
In that case the L and R buttons would be useless in Wiimote form. Is that correct?
Something that might work in "dual" and "single" forms is a button on the top and bottom half on the back, something like what was on the back of the Virtual Boy controller rather than a shoulder or trigger as we have more often seen them. When used together they'd be like L/LZ and R/RZ, but when split and used sideways they'd be like a single L and R.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I find it hilarious that after making this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215916015

Which was talking about a Q&A session from January 2014

And then seeing TLZ make this post: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215919570

Which was talking about a briefing presentation from January 2013.

To which I gave my rebuttal here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215919840

I see SuperMetalDave tweeting about that same presentation briefing from 2013 of that same quote approximately 40 minutes later arguing against the idea NX is a hybrid using those posts.

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772678301802389504

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772679121595838464

Again, I'm only laughing because of the timing of this.

For anyone that hasn't read my updated post it's here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215923839

I am arguing that multiple form factors haven't been confirmed or denied, same deal with a hybrid.

Read my post to understand the context of what was being said to those investors and you'll see a year later that Iwata wasn't sure whether to have one form factor or multiple.

Somebody who has followed closely Nintendo since 3ds launch (when their issues started practically) already should know the context of these statements and how are they meant.

It all started with 3ds not getting the launch sales they estimated despite the very positive reaction to the reveal. It was a combination of high price and disappointing line-up which drove Nintendo into emergency mode for 3ds, resulting in both a price cut and focusing the developing team to deliver more important games for 3ds as fast as possible. Which in turn meant the abandon of Wii and destroyed the Wii U line-up at launch and beyond that because Nintendo found that they can't support efficiently 2 very different platforms. Especially since HD development proved to be more resource consuming than expected.

And this prompted the reorganisation of the software departments to try to unify the tools and SDKs and to avoid this resource issue for the future. This is the context of the statement from January 2013. It was a kind of "lesson learned" thing. Reality proved a bit difficult down the road, as Wii U still faced a lot of droughts even after this, but that's a different story. At no point this was a discussion about the hardware strategy which obviously wasn't yet clear even a year later, as the statements from 2014 show.

Also in January 2013 Nintendo still believed Wii U can be successful and properly support, so obvious the question of not having a separate console had no reason to be raised yet.

Branduil

Are they really more problematic than Wii? Which did preeeetty okay with kids.

The Wii controller was ridiculously simple to understand. One main button, a D-pad, one trigger, three secondary menu buttons, and two buttons that only matter when using it NES style. The only people who had any difficulty wrapping their heads around it were hardcore gamers used to one specific controller design.

The things people are posting here with triggers all over the place and masses of swarming buttons wouldn't be understood by anyone. I certainly imagine whatever Nintendo comes up with will be more intuitive than most of these mockups. At least I hope so.

The Wii controller was ridiculously simple to understand. One main button, a D-pad, one trigger, three secondary menu buttons, and two buttons that only matter when using it NES style. The only people who had any difficulty wrapping their heads around it were hardcore gamers used to one specific controller design.

The things people are posting here with triggers all over the place and masses of swarming buttons wouldn't be understood by anyone. I certainly imagine whatever Nintendo comes up with will be more intuitive than most of these mockups. At least I hope so.
I've been saying this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom