• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Zelda doesn't release at launch for NX they better have some bazooka blasts to hit us with.

Otherwise, that would tell me they learned nothing from the Wii U.

I'm guessing we see Mario Galaxy 3 for NX launch, along with updates of Splatoon, Smash Bros complete edition, and Super Mario Maker.

As for the reports, I don't get how anybody can read that and say, "Yep, 2017 it is!" Nothing comes remotely close to implying that result.

Rodin

If Zelda doesn't release at launch for NX they better have some bazooka blasts to hit us with.

Otherwise, that would tell me they learned nothing from the Wii U.

Zelda coming out on NX is a given, i think it's pretty clear at this point that they're waiting to re-reveal it on the new console, otherwise there was no reason not to show a gameplay trailer of the Wii U version last night. I also believe that Paper Mario is a cross gen title as well, it won't come out before summer and there's no way they're sending it to die just before the new console hit shelves. They may follow this strategy to release other "mid budget" NX titles on the Wii U for the first year, to give the console 5 years of support (they hinted at that multiple times at least), so we'll just have to wait and see. But NX is coming with Zelda in 2016, and there's currently no reason to believe it won't.

I'm guessing we see Mario Galaxy 3 for NX launch, along with updates of Splatoon, Smash Bros complete edition, and Super Mario Maker.

As for the reports, I don't get how anybody can read that and say, "Yep, 2017 it is!" Nothing comes remotely close to implying that result.

I don't think they'll release Mario and Zelda at the same time. New 3D Mario will be a launch window/2017 game imho (holiday 2017 at most).

Griss

I think it was because the original 3DS has many problems emulating SNES/GBA games, i expect that to be focus on the NX handheld.

a) Which was because the 3DS turned out to be ferociously underpowered in the end, and
b) It could and should have been there day and date with the New 3DS.

There's no defending the time they take to do some of the most basic things.

MK_768

Twilight Princess HD
Star Fox / Star Fox Guard
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament
Paper Mario: Color Splash

That's seven games annouced yesterday that are upcoming, not including Indie and other eShop games.

E3 is sure to bring some surprise announcements we don't know about yet, plus Zelda later this year.

I'd much rather Nintnedo reveal the NX this year, and give it a full presentation next year (Mirroring the Wii Remote reveal in 2005 and the Wii reveal in 2006) so they can have a solid first year slate of games ready to go.

Nintendo's main teams have been largely silent the last year or so. A couple I think for 18 months+. That and Retro last game coming a couple years ago shows that Nintendo could very well have a competent slate of games ready for the first year.

NX is coming this year and Zelda will be a nice launch title for it lol.

This idea of NX coming in holiday of 2017 is absurd. Would make Iwata's outing of NX last year look completely foolish. Investors simply will not be happy if Nintendo doesn't do anything to replace either it's dead pillar in Wii U or dying pillar in 3DS. Seeing as how the 3DS has a better slate of games coming...the Wii U is being misplaced.

Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

That's seven games annouced yesterday that are upcoming, not including Indie and other eShop games.

E3 is sure to bring some surprise announcements we don't know about yet, plus Zelda later this year.

I'd much rather Nintnedo reveal the NX this year, and give it a full presentation next year (Mirroring the Wii Remote reveal in 2005 and the Wii reveal in 2006) so they can have a solid first year slate of games ready to go.

The NX will launch this year. Everything else would be a desaster for Nintendo and they know it. There is a reason why Nintendo showed only games for the first half of 2016 in the last direct. Normally you get a glimpse of future games in their NDs but this wasn't the case this time. They clearly prepare for the reveal of their upcoming console and the launch of it this fall.

AdanVC

Judging by the Nintendo Direct yesterday it looks like Nintendo has a bunch of Wii U games up their sleeve for the remainder of 2016, so I think they could feasibly go one more holiday with the Wii U and make it a full 5-year console lifespan per the usual.

2017 is where things will likely start to get more and more barren in the leadup to the NX launch late in the year.

Ughh please no. I like my Wii U but I'm starting to get tired of it. The Gamepad is simply not as "ageless" as the Wii Remote for example that it's been rocking the market for almost 10 years. Wii U was a fun "experiment" and as an experiment, Nintendo should move onto the real thing now ASAP. In this case with NX. Wii U already gave more than expected and it's appreciated considering Nintendo alone is the only one supporting this console but it's time to move on. Quickly. Yesterday's Direct was a clear indicator of that. Low budget titles, HD ports, lil eShop downloadable titles, etc. Zelda U will be their last big one.

MK_768

What happened about the BBC article that claimed NX was to release in the middle of this year?

Debunked?

I think the belief was they meant to say NX will be announced in the middle of the year. Not 100%.

I mean if NX came shortly after E3...that'd be a little insane. I'm not against or for it though lol.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Wii U has a lot of software in its first half, while Paper Mario and a cross-gen Zelda will serve as the holdovers for a near empty second half. How could anyone not think new hardware is launching this year? Not this fiscal year, true, but that is over at the end of this month. They'll start talking about it after that.

The drought with a few key releases in the last few months of a console's life is trademark N64 and on Nintendo home console hardware. Since the Wii U's life will be cut short the drought starts late, however, remember that Japan already has TMS#FE.

Frankly, Paper Mario could be cross-gen. Remember that Super Paper Mario was being developed for GC, but was moved exclusively to Wii sometime after E3 2006. I doubt Nintendo completely cancels the original version this time, however.

The Wii U has a lot of software in its first half, while Paper Mario and a cross-gen Zelda will serve as the holdovers for a near empty second half. How could anyone not think new hardware is launching this year?'

The drought with a few key releases in the last few months of a console's life is trademark N64 and on Nintendo home console hardware. Since the Wii U's life will be cut short the drought starts late, however, though remember that Japan already has TMS#FE.

Frankly, Paper Mario could be cross-gen. Remember that Super Paper Mario was being developed for GC, but was moved exclusively to Wii sometime after E3 2006. I doubt Nintendo completely cancels the original version this time, however.

I would consider a nice chunk of WiiU's lineup will be cross gen

THE:MILKMAN

I think the belief was they meant to say NX will be announced in the middle of the year. Not 100%.

I mean if NX came shortly after E3...that'd be a little insane. I'm not against or for it though lol.

I would have thought if it was a genuine mistake the BBC would have edited it by now. Saying that, journalism quality across the board has gone down hill the more it transitions to online.

If it is true Nintendo better get announcing it sharpish.

Doctre81

Handheld NX this year. Console next year. I'm riding this baby until the end lol. High risk high reward. The nintendo way.

Definitely 2016 for home console. The release schedule is so front-loaded that you have everything but Zelda and Paper Mario released by the end of June, whereas in past years, you were lucky to have 3 games by then, with everything really released in September through December and nothing much at all in the summer. The 3DS is really the same in terms of Nintendo output. It just appears differently because of some great Japanese third party support that the Wii U lacks.

Nothing saying "Thank You for Supporting Us" to your loyal customers like giving them the same games two generations in a row.

Were you around for the PS4 launch

The reason they do this on EVERY platform is to give newcomers a chance to play these games

Your argument doesnt hold water in our current market

They arent going to strand these amazing games to the WiiU graveyard that was only around for 4 years

Peru

Nothing saying "Thank You for Supporting Us" to your loyal customers like giving them the same games two generations in a row.

If they're the only games coming, yeah, which they won't be. Wii U proved an unattractive piece of hardware with several attractive pieces of software. It would be a real shame if they weren't being put out on the next system. I know a lot of people who are banking on it because they don't own a Wii U. It wouldn't take up resources, what's the harm?

If they're the only games coming, yeah, which they won't be. Wii U proved an unattractive piece of hardware with several attractive pieces of software. It would be a real shame if they weren't being put out on the next system. I know a lot of people who are banking on it because they don't own a Wii U. It wouldn't take up resources, what's the harm?

Ps4 Does is, Xbone does it, Hell WiiU is STILL doing it

What the heck makes people think they wont cross gen damn near everything

Armadilo

Banned
Twilight Princess HD
Lost Reavers
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Pokken Tournament

Uhhh that's why 3rd party games exist. Times have changed. Time to see if Nintendo chooses to live in the present or stay in the past

MK_768

Ps4 Does is, Xbone does it, Hell WiiU is STILL doing it

What the heck makes people think they wont cross gen damn near everything

You seem to be a bit bent out of shape over this.

Anyways, maybe because Nintendo is Nintendo and are nothing like Sony and Microsoft.

Doctre81

As for people saying nothing points to a 2017 release for the console...here we go,

1. No nintendo console has EVER launched based on the original estimate or rumor. The N64 was supposed to launch in 1995. The GC was supposed to launch in 2000. When nintendo first announced the revolution they said they intended to relase it before the comeptition. Wii was last to launch.

2. Iwata said that he wanted WiiU owners to feel like they got their money's worth before moving on to NX. Making sure WiiU has a full 5 year cycle would help insure that.

3. Sales of WiiU games like Splatoon suprised NIntendo and they may now think they can hold off the NX console a bit longer than they previously thought. WiiU isn't selling that well but their 1st party software is.

4. They were still looking for a lead on their gpu as late as mid 2014. By comparison the wiiu gpu started it's development in late 2008. WiiU launched in 2012.

5. They believe the NX has the potential to do Wii numbers so they may want to wait until they have the amount of units they initially planned and launch in 2017.

6. A handheld is mor of a sure thing for them profitwise and they need to post huge profits in the next fiscal year.

7. Ubisoft hasn't leaked the specs yet.

8. People are saying there is no way Nintendo would have a drought this long before a new system...I would like to point to the year before the GC ansd the year before WiiU... It is typical for NIntendo to have a dry nearly full year before a new console. You guys know this.

Hawk269

Nah. We'll get an artificial demand due to "shortgages" created by Nintendo just like always

This. Nintendo is know for doing this regardless if the shortages are real or not. It has worked for them and created frenzies in the past, so don't expect for this to change with the NX release.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This. Nintendo is know for doing this regardless if the shortages are real or not. It has worked for them and created frenzies in the past, so don't expect for this to change with the NX release.

Please explain this sentence, because as I'm reading it, it makes no sense.

Astral Dog

NX is likely coming in 2016, but this is more "last year" of Wii U/3DS than first year of NX, not until next year is when we will have a clearer picture of the NX, i think many of the launch lineup can be guessed like a Smash NX port and Zelda, maybe a minigame collection. good titiles but most will be remasters or ports.

Anx thats fine, NX needs all the support it can get, but Nintendo reveal will depend on how the hardware will be recieved this year, with some surprises, what im worried is a half baked launch window like Wii U when the system clearly needed another six months in the oven, not full of worthless updates, delays or the same launch games :/

That is very important, but with how Nintendo sistuation is, i cant blame them aand will keeep expectations low, hopefully they can surprise us .

Malus

8. People are saying there is no way Nintendo would have a drought this long before a new system...I would like to point to the year before the GC ansd the year before WiiU... It is typical for NIntendo to have a dry nearly full year before a new console. You guys know this.

As much as it scares me I agree with this bit. An empty year is not crazy at all.

The employees are free to leave if the job doesn't please them. Or is Taiwan a dictatorship and they're slaves?

Thought Foxconn was in mainland China. But no it's not after googling it. The more you know. Plus hasn't like 20 or so people committed suicide because of poor working conditions?

Pif

Banned
Thought Foxconn was in mainland China. But no it's not after googling it. The more you know. Plus hasn't like 20 or so people committed suicide because of poor working conditions?[/QUOTE]

Maybe.

But they could just quit instead. Not sure though.

All of its 2016 lineup + Smash, Splatoon, Mario Maker
lol no.

Zelda U and Maybe Smash (if its not a new game) will be it. Atleast for awhile. Nintendo isn't the type of company to do ports/remakes often. WiiU only got two (both Zelda games) and 3DS got Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Xenoblade, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Five games across five years.

Anyone who thinks Nintendo will port most WiiU games are insane. Besides Zelda U and possibly Smash, I'd expect only one random WiiU game in a few years like Bayonetta 2 or something.

Top Bottom