• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

lol no.

Zelda U and Maybe Smash (if its not a new game) will be it. Atleast for awhile. Nintendo isn't the type of company to do ports/remakes often. WiiU only got two (both Zelda games) and 3DS got Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Xenoblade, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Five games across five years.

Anyone who thinks Nintendo will port most WiiU games are insane. Besides Zelda U and possibly Smash, I'd expect only one random WiiU game in a few years like Bayonetta 2 or something.

Thats a lot of games being sent to die man....

? i'm just telling it like how I feel
Is this an insider hint or just general?
general. i've been saying this for a while. for someone who hasn't bought an 8th gen console yet, the nx will be newest and freshest hardware on the market. so come Q4 this year, nx will have more buzz than the Ps4. although, there is psvr rumored to be released in Q4 too which could make things interesting.

The employees are free to leave if the job doesn't please them. Or is Taiwan a dictatorship and they're slaves?

Let em eat cake yo

Maybe.

But they could just quit instead. Not sure though.

The general message seems to be everyone on the outside wants in because they have good wages, and everyone on the inside wants out. Foxconn has supposedly improved their working conditions, but it's kinda hard to think of working conditions as being great when you're compelled to install nets on the top of your buildings to catch jumpers.

Why someone would rather jump off a building than quit is a good question, but I have the impression this isn't something you're actually interested in.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They will release NX in all regions around the same time. This isn't 10 years ago.

Didn't the mighty ps4 launched later in japan? I could totally see an asincronous launch for west and japan split between two different form factor

While I'd love to agree with you, there are entire generations of customers that simply don't give a shit about Nintendo's offerings.
i don't necessarily want it to be right though - not that I want nx to fail, i'm just enthusiastic about how well the Ps4 has been selling thus far and would think it'd be a shame if it just stopped out of the blue.

to my point though, how do we know nintendo won't come out with another wii? and i don't mean another motion sensing based console, but another craze in the industry that wins everybody over?

I still can't believe people are doubting NX comes this Holiday (November 18, 2016). I'll eat a dick if it doesn't come true.

What are you going to play Zelda NX on? Your PC? lol

Thraktor

For those who don't think Nintendo are going to release the NX this year:

1. AMD have repeatedly talked about a product with a semi-custom APU releasing in the second half of this year.

Devinder Kumar said:
...we projected earlier this year that we would have at least one to two semi-custom design wins and I’m pleased to report that we have those design wins, the work to design the products that has already started, the contract assigned and those parts get introduced in 2016.

[...]

I’m not going to give too much detail. I’ll say that one is x86 and one is ARM, and atleast one will be on gaming, right. But that’s about as much as you going to get out me today, because the customers from the standpoint to be fair to them. It is their product. They launch it.

(Link)

Lisa Su said:
Demand for gaming consoles looks strong through 2016 and we remain on track to generate additional revenue from new Semi-Custom business in the second half of 2016.

(Link)

2. Macronix have told investors to expect "exceptional" ROM sales this year due to a "new generation platform" from one of their key customers. Nintendo is by far their largest ROM customer.

(Link)

Even if you ignore the IHS report, the Digi-Times report, the report this thread is based on, or Trev's leak, which has held up thus far, that's two of Nintendo's main suppliers telling their shareholders that their tech is going to be used in a major new device to be launched later this year, and in both cases Nintendo is by far the most likely customer. The evidence overwhelmingly supports Nintendo releasing at least one of their NX "family" by the end of 2016.

Rodin

2. Macronix have told investors to expect "exceptional" ROM sales this year due to a "new generation platform" from one of their key customers. Nintendo is by far their largest ROM customer.

(Link)

Even if you ignore the IHS report, the Digi-Times report, the report this thread is based on, or Trev's leak, which has held up thus far, that's two of Nintendo's main suppliers telling their shareholders that their tech is going to be used in a major new device to be launched later this year, and in both cases Nintendo is by far the most likely customer. The evidence overwhelmingly supports Nintendo releasing at least one of their NX "family" by the end of 2016.
This kind of hints at the NX home using game cards.

iMax

The employees are free to leave if the job doesn't please them. Or is Taiwan a dictatorship and they're slaves?

Most save for a long time to travel to Shenzhen and there's basically no other opportunities there.

Darkangel

I could see the NX Portable releasing in 2017 since the 3DS is still pretty viable, but the NX Console is 99% locked in for a holiday 2016 release.

antonz

For people doubting a release this year. Everything seems to be going exactly to schedule. We have seen historically that final production of consoles starts 2-3 months before release.

So unless something major happens. 2016 is all but locked in

Thraktor

They will release NX in all regions around the same time. This isn't 10 years ago.

Ten years ago they managed to release the Wii in all major markets within 3 weeks. It's actually been 15 years since their last staggered home console launch (and even with the Gamecube it was released in both Japan and NA in late 2001, it was only Europe and Australia/NZ who had to wait).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No matter if NX is launching this year or not, 2016 is definitely Wii U's last year. And it's almost dead already anyhow. So better pray for no delays for NX.

Mariolee

1. AMD have repeatedly talked about a product with a semi-custom APU releasing in the second half of this year.

(Link)

(Link)

(Link)

Great summary. There's definitely no way it doesn't come out this year. People who think that are being as ridiculous as Adam Sessler minutes before the E3 2011 Nintendo conference rejecting the rumors of Wii U's unique controller details.

Griss

(Link)

(Link)

(Link)

I was already convinced, but now I'm convinced.

Strange that we can already start writing the eulogy for the Wii U and assessing its library. I wonder if there's a single unannounced first party game left for it.

Neoxon

I'm guessing we see Mario Galaxy 3 for NX launch, along with updates of Splatoon, Smash Bros complete edition, and Super Mario Maker.

As for the reports, I don't get how anybody can read that and say, "Yep, 2017 it is!" Nothing comes remotely close to implying that result.
If anything, they may just wait to do Splatoon 2 on the NX Platform rather than port the first game given that it didn't take very long to make the first game.

Wouldn't this indicate that we'll get at least one NX device this year?

I fuck with this guy. Every NX thread, his thinking lines up with mine.

We will get one NX device this year and it'll likely be the console. Handheld will launch in spring, earliest.

Launching both flavours of hardware alongside Pokemon Sun and Moon and Zelda screams sales canabilsation.

Neoxon

I fuck with this guy. Every NX thread, his thinking lines up with mine.

We will get one NX device this year and it'll likely be the console. Handheld will launch in spring, earliest.

Launching both flavours of hardware alongside Pokemon Sun and Moon and Zelda screams sales canabilsation.
I agree about the console launching first & the handheld coming in the spring, but the wording of the bolded seems like you're expecting Sun/Moon to be cross-gen. Am I reading too much into the bolded sentence??

Doctre81

They never used the word releasing.

"The other thing I’ll mention in the semi-custom business which you probably picked up in the announcement that we had in October earnings call is we’ve been having a lot of interest in the semi-custom business, the semi-custom business is very unique, whereby it takes AMD’s core IP, we use it across market segments, across customers, across products, customer interest has been high and we projected earlier this year that we would have at least one to two semi-custom design wins and I’m pleased to report that we have those design wins, the work to design the products that has already started, the contract assigned and those parts get introduced in 2016."

Please... We still getting games a year later. Even if DQXI launch on NX we aint playing it cause its not gonna be localized. You need games with hardware.

Umm I'm talking about home console releases. Not software.,

How can people actually think NX isn't coming in 2016 after the Direct this week? They are continuing to pump out filler titles that started in early to mid 2015.

Rodin

As far as realistic goes, I'm expecting around 20 million for the NX Console, & maybe 40-50 million for the NX Handheld.

We don't know anything about the new consoles, it's too early to speculate and talk about "realistic" numbers. There's literally nothing that possibly hints at any degree of success or failure, and sales performances of previous generations have zero value at this point.

CrisKre

The direct was strictly for games being released by the summer.

Yes, and this summer Wii U releases seem to be the most robust outing of all of Wii U´s lifespan BY FAR. Literally all games we knew where in the pipeline are accounted for, except for Zelda and Paper Mario. Zelda, also, will clearly be cross platform. Nintendo is also clearly letting the latter half of the year free in terms of notable releases. Do you think there will be a magical lineup of games for release late 2016 and well into 2017?

No. NX has to be this year.

Doctre81

Yes, and this summer Wii U releases seem to be the most robust outing of all of Wii U´s lifespan BY FAR. Literally all games we knew where in the pipeline are accounted for, except for Zelda and Paper Mario. Do you think there will be a magical lineup of games for release late 2016 and well into 2017?

No. NX has to be this year.

Do I think they will announce at least two or so more games from nintendo wiiu for 2016? Yes.

Do I think 2017 will be the same drought before a new system while we play the new handheld just like 2000 for GC and 2011 for WiiU? Yup.

You can't assume the console will launch this year. This is Nintendo afterall.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This kind of hints at the NX home using game cards.

Yes, which is really surprising if it's a home console. I guess it's more feasible in 2016 for games under a certain size than ever before but did Nintendo get a sweetheart deal? I say this cause I don't see 64 GB cards happening this gen, so I'm not sure how Nintendo wants to attract third parties again if they can't port their 40-50 GB games to NX. Something like Splatoon woule only need a 2 GB card at launch (pre fre-DLC), but something like Trev's FF7 and KH3 rumours would need far more.

CrisKre

Do I think they will announce at least two or so more games from nintendo wiiu for 2016? Yes.

Do I think 2017 will be the same drought before a new system while we play the new handheld just like 2000 for GC and 2011 for WiiU? Yup.

You can't assume the console will launch this year. This is Nintendo afterall.

If you look at Wii U released notable titles and their announcement strategies, there has been literally no instance in which we knew absolutely NOTHING on titles in the pipeline. You assuming 2017 will have zero games is not reasonable. There is zero chance nintendo can get by all 2017 without some mayor mayor losses where this to be the case. There are the plethora of rumors on top of that that point to a 2016 release, and also the fact it lines up nicely with development cycles for Nintendo´s biggest studios, unless you think we have wii u games coming from them that they haven´t bothered to speak about yet. If they where for wii U we would have heard about them. The silence points to them being for the new platform.

Ray Down

Banned
Yes, which is really surprising if it's a home console. I guess it's more feasible in 2016 for games under a certain size than ever before but did Nintendo get a sweetheart deal? I say this cause I don't see 64 GB cards happening this gen, so I'm not sure how Nintendo wants to attract third parties again if they can't port their 40-50 GB games to NX. Something like Splatoon woule only need a 2 GB card at launch (pre fre-DLC), but something like Trev's FF7 and KH3 rumours could need far more.

Trev said the source was bad on this one or he doesn't trust it.

Doctre81

If you look at Wii U released notable titles and their announcement strategies, there has been literally no instance in which we knew absolutely NOTHING on titles in the pipeline. You assuming 2017 will have zero games is not reasonable. There is zero chance nintendo can get by all 2017 without some mayor mayor losses. There are the plethora of rumors on top of that that point to a 2016 release.

I didn't say zero games. I said next to nothing for 2017 on WiiU. See GC 2005. Wii 2011. And the release of the NX HANDHELD this year like when the 3ds launched.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I didn't say zero games. I said next to nothing for 2017 on WiiU. See GC 2005. Wii 2011. And the release of the NX HANDHELD this year like when the 3ds launched.

GC 2005 and 2006 were both far more loaded than 2016 Wii U's second half. We have 2 games announced for after June right now, that's unprecedented.

Trev said the source was bad on this one or he doesn't trust it.

Okay, that makes more sense, especially since Trev didn't mention in that video that it would be coming to NX later or anything. I would have figured a source would be aware of that and repeat that the FF7 remake games will be a timed PS4 exclusive, while KH3 has no such commitment and could come day and date with PS4 and XB1 if the hardware fits, etc.

Yes, which is really surprising if it's a home console. I guess it's more feasible in 2016 for games under a certain size than ever before but did Nintendo get a sweetheart deal? I say this cause I don't see 64 GB cards happening this gen, so I'm not sure how Nintendo wants to attract third parties again if they can't port their 40-50 GB games to NX. Something like Splatoon woule only need a 2 GB card at launch (pre fre-DLC), but something like Trev's FF7 and KH3 rumours would need far more.

I'm sorta wondering if they are going to be going with custom capacity solid state media so they have something small that works in both the console and handheld.

CrisKre

So you are saying basically Zelda week release in 2017? Or do you not believe it will be an Nx title as well?

That is the biggest pointer right there to nx releasing this year.

No way they would cross release it a year appart.

It does not add up.

Banned
the more I hear about nx, the more I believe it will be the thing to kill the Ps4's momentum.
Listen I love Nintendo as much as anybody and prefer their IP over the other two console makers. But enough with these kinds of posts. The PS4 has taken off and won already. Nintendo should focus on getting third parties back, gaining mindshare in the mainstream crowd, and rebuilding its brand.

Nothing is stopping the PS4.

Rösti;197571011 said:
Report: NX to make Foxconn Technology Co., Ltd. operations hot in 2016 second half

giphy.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Judging by the Nintendo Direct yesterday it looks like Nintendo has a bunch of Wii U games up their sleeve for the remainder of 2016, so I think they could feasibly go one more holiday with the Wii U and make it a full 5-year console lifespan per the usual.
Fans acting like Nintendo's borderline shovelware is a good line up is part of how things got this bad.

Neoxon

It would make sense if Nintendo wanted all physical games to be used on both console & handheld.

Production should be ramping up soon then. Nintendo handheld 2016 looks healthy, so if the NX is a new handheld, it might be 2017 to give their 2016 lineup some breathing space.

Seeing as how Iwata spoke on numerous occasions about avoiding this exact scenario, it this ends up being the case, Nintendo have truly failed.

Iwata understood the importance of momentum in the market. A 2017 NX console would be sheer disaster, not only for their immediate financial situation, but their long term position in the market.

They still have Dragon Quest XI and the Yokai Watch sequels for next year on 3DS. The console needs to come first. Of course, for all we know, NX could be completely different. Perhaps a hybrid based on their Supplemental Computing Device patent.

Seeing as how Iwata spoke on numerous occasions about avoiding this exact scenario, it this ends up being the case, Nintendo have truly failed.

Iwata understood the importance of momentum in the market. A 2017 NX console would be sheer disaster, not only for their immediate financial situation, but their long term position in the market.

Or maybe they don't see the console as the main path for their future. I mean, if I were Nintendo, lowering the console side of things as a priority seems like a pretty obvious thing to do. It'd almost be a surprise if it were a traditional console. Most of their fanbase has moved to 3DS/portable, and they need to defend that market as much as possible without a console detracting from their shelf space or marketing.

Neoxon

They still have Dragon Quest XI and the Yokai Watch sequels for next year on 3DS. The console needs to come first. Of course, for all we know, NX could be completely different. Perhaps a hybrid based on their Supplemental Computing Device patent.
Maybe for North America, but Japan could get away with the NX Handheld coming this year. Most of what we're getting now on the 3DS have been out in Japan for a good long while.

As for people saying nothing points to a 2017 release for the console...here we go,

1. No nintendo console has EVER launched based on the original estimate or rumor. The N64 was supposed to launch in 1995. The GC was supposed to launch in 2000. When nintendo first announced the revolution they said they intended to relase it before the comeptition. Wii was last to launch.

This is not, in its own right, evidence that NX is going to miss its projected launch, given that the last example you cite is a decade old and that Nintendo hasn't ever given a launch projection for the platform. For all you know, it could have originally been planned for this summer and has already been delayed.

2. Iwata said that he wanted WiiU owners to feel like they got their money's worth before moving on to NX. Making sure WiiU has a full 5 year cycle would help insure that.

That's... not actually evidence, you realise? This idea of the full 5 year cycle being the only thing that determines whether you've got your money's worth is a box-ticking, fannish kind of thing to do, and isn't really something that will factor into either Nintendo's nor the average consumer's feelings on the matter. As a Wii U owner, I'd rather have the system bow out with Zelda this year than trudge on for another year with an enormous drought.

3. Sales of WiiU games like Splatoon suprised NIntendo and they may now think they can hold off the NX console a bit longer than they previously thought. WiiU isn't selling that well but their 1st party software is.

Absolutely no company in the world thinks like this. They'll look at Splatoon sales, and wonder precisely how much it would be able to push on a wider install base than the Wii U. If Splatoon had lit a rocket up the hardware sales you may have a point, but no major company would be satisfying for settling like you suggest.

4. They were still looking for a lead on their gpu as late as mid 2014. By comparison the wiiu gpu started it's development in late 2008. WiiU launched in 2012.

Well, I don't think there's much doubting that the NX has come into existence much quicker than Nintendo hardware normally has to, as a result of the Wii U's failure. I'd be interested to hear a source for this bit, though, as it's not something I recall hearing myself.

5. They believe the NX has the potential to do Wii numbers so they may want to wait until they have the amount of units they initially planned and launch in 2017.
This is making an assumption that Nintendo haven't already got the numbers they want lined up already, which is an total blind leap without solid evidence or internal knowledge.

They're starting production this summer. They're not going to be doing that with an eye for hoarding the hardware for a year or more.

6. A handheld is mor of a sure thing for them profitwise and they need to post huge profits in the next fiscal year.

3DS is a profitable range of hardware as it is, and it has games coming this year and next that will sell multiple (in Pokémon's case, tens) of millions.

If you want to build profit, you rely heavily on the mature technology and the established userbase, not by tossing that out of the window and starting again with new tech. It's the Wii U that's the financial albatross, not the 3DS.

7. Ubisoft hasn't leaked the specs yet.

We have no idea how involved Ubisoft is with the console, or how many people within Ubisoft have seen the hardware. All this might mean is that Nintendo is (gasp!) being reticent with Western third parties.

8. People are saying there is no way Nintendo would have a drought this long before a new system...I would like to point to the year before the GC ansd the year before WiiU... It is typical for NIntendo to have a dry nearly full year before a new console. You guys know this.

Entirely different contexts, and entirely different situations. Many of Nintendo's top-flight developers have been absent for years now, and Nintendo has repeatedly cited final year droughts as a big problem for their hardware business- it explicitly hurt both 3DS and Wii U. I also don't see how you can make both the argument that Nintendo is working to ensure that Wii U has a content-rich send off, and that they're planning for a drought year before it's shuffled out.

I'm sorry, but I'm seeing a lot of groundless or flimsy assertions which in no way counteract the multiple bits of hard evidence we have that the platform is launching this year.

Top Bottom