• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

FStubbs

When Nintendo did that with the Wii store people were like "Oh well it makes sense,it is not worthy for Nintendo anymore".

When Sony does it: "Fuck Sony AAARRRGHHH!!" :messenger_grinning_smiling:

In any case if this ends up being true it really sucks and shows you how you can easily get fucked with going digital-only. You're basically at the mercy of the companies.
Nintendo was forced to shut down the Wii store because gamespy got bought out and the new company closed everything down. Nintendo is the company that kept servicing the NES almost 20 years after it was discontinued. Though the true test will come with the 3DS and Wii U stores.

FStubbs

As someone said in one of the early pages, Sony will probably start promoting PS Now more since it has tons of PS1-PS3 games. So instead of mucking around with your old PS3 and buying $10 games before the cord is cut, sub to PS Now and stream them now on PS4 or PS5.
I'd rather stream them natively from the PS3's hard drive, but that's just me

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I mean it sure sounds like you're defending it.

I doubt that the decision to close the storefronts for these systems happened without Jim Ryan's approval somewhere. He's the president and CEO. That's where the buck stops. It's ok to blame him.

Blame him for what? Closing shops with zero traffic? Seems like good business to me.

The data for purchased items is no doubt not going to go anywhere, they just aren't going to offer stuff for sale. Because those lines are discontinued, just like the platforms they run on.

Banned

well if Sony doesn't patch the System Software of the PS3 you won't be able to play your PS3 digital games in general anymore for much longer lol... without the internal clock being kept running the PS3 will not launch digital games and the PS4 won't even read discs anymore (but the PS4 is save for now of course)

nah, fuck all that... do what I said earlier in this thread:
SOFT MOD YOUR PS3s, PSPs and PSVITAs NOW!
PSP and PSVita are easy to softmod, like very easy. PS3, I haven't looked that one up in a while but that was easy as well for most Model numbers.

that's all I have to say on this matter... just softmod them, fuck Sony and take your hardware and make it YOURS! Independent of Sony's bullshit.

Blame him for what? Closing shops with zero traffic? Seems like good business to me.

The data for purchased items is no doubt not going to go anywhere, they just aren't going to offer stuff for sale. Because those lines are discontinued, just like the platforms they run on.

there are more issues with this. the PS3 has an internal clock that is run by a battery and checked each time you are online. when the internal battery dies and you can't connect to the PSN servers anymore, the PS3 will not be able to launch any digital games anymore that you bought and downloaded. for the PS4 it is even worse, that thing won't even read discs anymore if that happens, so whenever those go offline the PS4 is fucked...

maybe I am repeating myself here but...
SOFTMOD NOW!

Last edited:

Zambayoshi

I really hope this isn't true. I can understand if certain games stop being offered for sale due to licensing issues with other publishers but taking down the entire storefront seems like an odd move. I can't understand the logic behind it.

Banned
I really hope this isn't true. I can understand if certain games stop being offered for sale due to licensing issues with other publishers but taking down the entire storefront seems like an odd move. I can't understand the logic behind it.

no backwards compatibility, and therefore no monetary incentive to keep them up

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
there are more issues with this. the PS3 has an internal clock that is run by a battery and checked each time you are online. when the internal battery dies and you can't connect to the PSN servers anymore, the PS3 will not be able to launch any digital games anymore that you bought and downloaded. for the PS4 it is even worse, that thing won't even read discs anymore if that happens, so whenever those go offline the PS4 is fucked...

maybe I am repeating myself here but...
SOFTMOD NOW!

That's such a bullshit reason. If your PS3 breaks down you won't be able to play anything full stop. You think the battery is the only part of the system that is subject to degradation over time/planned obsolescence?

Last edited:

Banned
That's such a bullshit reason. If your PS3 breaks down you won't be able to play anything full stop. You think the battery is the only part of the system that is subject to degradation over time/planned obsolescence?

the battery will run out of power eventually, you can't rescue it, you can't replace it. as soon as the battery loses power and you can not connect to the servers after that, the PS3 can not run digital games anymore that were previously installed. this is inevitable. The older your PS3 the sooner this will happen.

which is why you should say fuck you to Sony AND SOFTMOD! if possible... not all PS3 models can be softmodded that easily afair

Last edited:

SSfox

If it's true that's a big BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for Sony.

No PS123 BC on PS5, and they will close stores of all PS. Sony is doing it all wrong when it comes to legacy games. If Jimbo and Hermen have so much time to spent on porting PS4 games on PC (which they shouldn't even do to begin with but that's another topic), they should find time to make PS123/PSP/VIA BC happen on PS5, specially since the latest is much more essential.

When it comes to BC MS is doing a better job than Sony, while it's not the most important aspect, but it's still a very important aspect that Sony shouldn't neglect. It's even more silly that they're neglecting it considering they have by far the best legacy and classic games in the industry.

Agent X

Sony will effectively eradicate large chunks of third-party back catalogs from their entire marketplace. The publishers and developers of those games will never again be able to earn money on that content.

Are third-party publishers and developers cool with this?

EDMIX

Agreed. People had 15 years to get some of this shit lol

I slowly got many of my favorite PS1 classics as they went on sale. I already had in mind all the titles I'd want digitally and just downloaded those over the years. I remember getting Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Persona 2, 3,4, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2, 3, Metal Gear Solid 1 and a shit load of other RPGs. I'd just wait for sales and scoop em up lol Like 99% of what I bought, I owned a copy of, but with PS1 disk and loading times, I'd rather have a digital copy of those classics tbh.

CD was so easily scratched compared to BD

YCoCg

Man this is terrible of Sony, meanwhile on Xbox you can probably still buy some original old ass releases from XBLA from 2007 or something and they'll work on your new console. This also eradicates the last remaining legal way to purchase Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories since Rockstar Games abandoned it.

Nintendo was forced to shut down the Wii store because gamespy got bought out and the new company closed everything down. Nintendo is the company that kept servicing the NES almost 20 years after it was discontinued. Though the true test will come with the 3DS and Wii U stores.
Haha, well, they're doing a fine job delisting stuff on the Wii U side of things. And dropping things like Miiverse too.

I'm sure with Wii they could host those things themselves, the system was effectively theirs and it wasn't even complex (it was a mess)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony will effectively eradicate large chunks of third-party back catalogs from their entire marketplace. The publishers and developers of those games will never again be able to earn money on that content.

Are third-party publishers and developers cool with this?
I am sure they discussed it with them, and I am sure they are no longer turning a enough revenue to make it lucrative.

They (Sony) are probably losing money at this point, or see the decline coming to that point in the very near future. Sucks, but if everyone were using it like crazy, then it wouldn't be going away.

Hopefully when there is an official announcement, something else is either to follow, or people make enough stink outside the "soft mod and jailbreak" community. 🤭

AmuroChan

None of these mega corporations deserve a pass. You can't tell me Nintendo doesn't have the money to migrate the Wii store to their own servers. Unless it's a Ouya, which literally went bankrupt, there's no excuse for any of these platform holders to shut down their digital storefronts.

zcaa0g

Banned
For fuck's sake, you are still going to be able download the digital titles you already purchased as long as you're alive.

I'm thankful for the superior digital medium instead of feeling like I'm in the 70s swapping out eight track tapes. Physical media is primitive and embarrassing. Git gud by gittin' modern!

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That's the digital way. Move people to new platforms.

Funny thing is digital was promoted as the "infinite" storefront where games (like oldies on GOG) can sit there forever for sale.

Who knew used discs being sold person to person would outlast them.
Like other are saying that Jim Ryan is a good person.

And there it is.... A big shit

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man this is terrible of Sony, meanwhile on Xbox you can probably still buy some original old ass releases from XBLA from 2007 or something and they'll work on your new console. This also eradicates the last remaining legal way to purchase Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories since Rockstar Games abandoned it.
I still miss my copy of Marble Blast Ultra. Rez HD also isn’t BC and neither is Condemned 2. I guess in some ways they all have flaws.
Also,

jm89

tenor.gif

well if Sony doesn't patch the System Software of the PS3 you won't be able to play your PS3 digital games in general anymore for much longer lol... without the internal clock being kept running the PS3 will not launch digital games and the PS4 won't even read discs anymore (but the PS4 is save for now of course)

Errr...what??

I'm confused. Digital-only fans tell physical media owners: you still have to download patches, etc. But digital-only folks have to also download those patches (and the original game). Only difference is, you can still buy the physical game after the shop closes - you cannot buy digital.

Also, as a Wii U / 3DS / Switch owner I can tell you the majority of Nintendo's physical games work just fine without patches. You may not be able to play online, but most will still work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Stolen from Reee thread which links to this Reddit thread.

For you gamers wanting to know PS3 games you might want to get before shut down. Although make note of the stuff people said earlier about CMOS battery which later on might lead to total shut down anyway.

Agent X

I am sure they discussed it with them, and I am sure they are no longer turning a enough revenue to make it lucrative.

Maybe, but this would likely affect different publishers and developers in different ways.

They (Sony) are probably losing money at this point, or see the decline coming to that point in the very near future. Sucks, but if everyone were using it like crazy, then it wouldn't be going away.

If there has been a substantial decline, then some of this might be Sony's own fault. For example, many PlayStation fans had begged Sony for years to bring downloadable PS1 games to PS4 and PS5...but they never did. If Sony had done this in an elegant manner, then perhaps there would be enough added sales to encourage them to keep those games available.

Also, we've recently seen how one of Sony's main competitors (Microsoft) has taken great strides in preserving their older systems' games. Maybe this wasn't something these companies or consumers paid much attention to in the past, but it is a "thing" now, and that's what counts. Sony would be giving Microsoft a tremendous selling point here. You'd think they'd want to try harder to retain customer loyalty and confidence, instead of driving them to their competition.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Also, we've recently seen how one of Sony's main competitors (Microsoft) has taken great strides in preserving their older systems' games. Maybe this wasn't something these companies or consumers paid much attention to in the past, but it is a "thing" now, and that's what counts. Sony would be giving Microsoft a tremendous selling point here. You'd think they'd want to try harder to retain customer loyalty and confidence, instead of driving them to their competition.
Thats because MS has legacy in PC, which is to prolong BC as long as possible until the OS is too far ahead. I'm sure there are people still rocking Windows 7 and most programs still work.

Sony's legacy is an odd one. On one hand they were big in PS1 BC in first edition PS2s, and PS2 BC in first edition PS3s, so it looks like when it comes to promoting BC hyping the launch they are all for it. But then they drop it fast.

Then PS4 isnt even BC with PS3 at all.

Now with PS5, it's BC with PS4 (with shitty migration process), but all the other stuff is dropped unless you stream it on PS Now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thats because MS has legacy in PC, which is to prolong BC as long as possible until the OS is too far ahead. I'm sure there are people still rocking Windows 7 and most programs still work.

Sony's legacy is an odd one. On one hand they were big in PS1 BC in first edition PS2s, and PS2 BC in first edition PS3s, so it looks like when it comes to promoting BC hyping the launch they are all for it. But then they drop it fast.

Then PS4 isnt even BC with PS3 at all.

Now with PS5, it's BC with PS4 (with shitty migration process), but all the other stuff is dropped unless you stream it on PS Now.
Explain “shitty migration process.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Explain “shitty migration process.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hopefully this will accelerate development of emulators.
I'm sure Sony has their own emulators ready to go, never mind any homebrew programs made by hobbyists after dinner.

They key reason they don't want to do it is because old games are cheap and have hardly any mtx. They would rather have everyone move up to PS4 and PS5 and dropped legacy systems. Newer systems are more $$$, more peripherals, more expensive software, more mtx. Even something like PS Now is a PS4/PS5/PC thing.

Liar

Banned
I'm sure Sony has their own emulators ready to go, never mind any homebrew programs made by hobbyists after dinner.
Myself, and I believe most of other people couldn't care less if Sony has any emulators, or not, especially if they won't make them available to people.

Emulators made by hobbysts maybe aren't all perfect, but from what I saw, as time passes, they are becoming better than ever.

Rayderism

Well, as long as the PS3/Vita games I've bought on PSN can still be downloaded after the shutdown, I'm OK with it. I'm done buying any more games on those systems anyway. But if the ability to re-download digitally purchased games goes away too, then I may consider not bothering with the PS5. Might even make the jump to an XBOX.

I swear, it really seems like Sony is trying to diminish their games division. So many odd decisions being made lately.....

Agent X

Sony actually had near 100% compatibility for PS1 games on all versions of the PS2 and PS3. They also had near 100% PS2 compatibility on the early PS3 models, before reducing it to about 70% compatibility in a later revision, and then removing it altogether soon after that.

With their portables, they had developed a very good PS1 emulator for PSP to play downloadable PS1 games. They then carried this over to PS Vita and PSTV, which also had excellent compatibility for downloadable PSP games (barring some strange licensing restrictions).

When PS4 came out in 2013, they started off with no backward compatibility...but they did promote cross-buy games with PS3 and/or Vita versions of the games. This was an excellent way to start off with an "instant library", during a time when Microsoft's Xbox One had no backward compatibility whatsoever.

Then, about 2 years later, there was a role reversal between Sony and Microsoft.

Early PS4 owners all assumed that compatibility with the PS1 and PS2 games would get patched in later. PS1 never happened, and PS2 only came in the form of about 50 downloadable games, which were not cross-buy with the same downloads on PS3.

We've now seen how both of these companies have had their ups and downs in their attitudes toward backward compatibility and cross-buy. As consumers, we should want all of these companies to learn from the past, and to adopt best practices going forward.

Sony rakes in truckloads of cash from PS Store and PS Plus subscriptions. There was just a thread here yesterday boasting about this. There's no reason they can't invest a small pittance into maintaining the online stores for their older systems, considering that their competitors are doing the same.

Somoza

Oh shit, i dont know if anyone else has said it, but even if you download ALL your games to your ps3, in the future you might have problemas playing those games.
Seems like, the console needs to make a "handshake" with psn when your cmos battery dies and you replace it in order to verify the ownership of the games. So yeah, CFWbatmobile it is.

Source about this.

HeresJohnny

Playing these old, excellent titles will be as difficult as walking over to a bookcase and pulling them off the shelffor me. Glad I never bought into the digital future bullshit.

rubenburgt

I don't get the frustration in this thread. These are outdated handhelds that probably has a very small active userbase. To be honest am I surprised that they haven't closed the servers earlier.

Sure, it sucks to lose those digital-only games, but you honestly can't expect Sony to give these titles physical versions.

If you want to play those digital-only games, then I recommend buying them now or to resort to piracy once the servers has been closed. These are the only options you have. Keeping the servers active solely for those digital-only games on outdated systems isn't an option.

luxsol

And of course, people are already defending Sony's decision.
not surprising, given how people here bent over for Sony charging $$$ for online play.

This is why i quit buying all new consoles, yet they still managed to fuck us over with older consoles. Fuck Sony. Fuck this industry.

And fuck everyone who supports these anti-consumer decisions. You're to blame the most.

Top Bottom