• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

Keihart

You do get the difference between current and legacy product is that generally the latter isn't supported anymore? Because its legacy product.
I don't know what you mean dude, in other industries when a vendor makes something legacy there is an effort to make everything you have in place work with the new technology and update only what is necessary, here the games are being left to dry, it's not like people are raving about using their PS3 but the games themselves that won't be accessible in anything else and if they ever are you are expected to buy them again.

That is not how vendors usually keep you in their ecosystem, the moment a vendor is that stupid you can just go to other vendor that will be happy to accommodate you with better support and prices.

It would be a very different situation if there was a new download list in the PS store to manage your old games or even a new one that actually worked in the old consoles, you know? like anything, but instead this is just a , yea, fuck you consumers we already got your money , get fucked.

Keihart

They should just dump all the games on PS4/5 store and let you get and play them therez shame they shutting the stores down
Yeah, the most tragic part of this is that they are just doing it this way to save money, the new consoles can already emulate most of your legacy library but doing so would incur in Sony having to put some money in it to license the games for use in the new consoles (Xbox is making Playstiation look like cheap fucks in comparison). Defending it is so ridiculous, the company is boasting about being in their best moment ever yet they are cutting corners as if they were about to go under o preparing for a merge. Small dick energy everywhere.

Jim "Penny Saving" Ryan.

Agent X

How long are companies required to keep online services going? Serious question. I mean, at what point is it reasonable to say that it's okay to shut some of these down?

I think StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige answered this well:

Nobody knows.

If people are going to benchmark, you got Steam, GOG, Nintendo and MS online stores to compare against for access

To expand on that answer, we have to look at the standards that have been set by the major players in the current market. It doesn't matter whether some companies "got away with it" in years past.

Of the major players, Nintendo is the only one with a noticeably worse record than Sony...and even right now, the 3DS eShop is still active here in the US. 3DS is almost a year older than Vita, also less capable on the technological totem pole, and yet it's looking like Sony will shutter online purchases on Vita before Nintendo does the same with 3DS.

We keep seeing Sony swagger threads boasting about how their gaming biz is booming, and how they pull in more gaming money than Nintendo and Microsoft...well, in light of that, shouldn't we expect demand more from the so-called industry leader?

NinjaBoiX

That makes no sense. What do you think costs more to run? The store front that people use to give you money...or the CDN that spans the entire globe, holds TB if not PB of data, brings in no income of its own and has to continue to operate to allow you to download your games.
I never said it made sense, I don’t make the rules.
You won't be able to do this eventually.
You won’t be able to buy the games physically at some point either.

Nothing lasts forever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never said it made sense, I don’t make the rules.

You won’t be able to buy the games physically at some point either.

Nothing lasts forever.
Console discs wont go away anytime soon for key games as stores selling hardware for breakeven need to make back profit somewhere. $20 indie game? Ok, probably digital only. And that comes from games, extra gamepads, head sets etc.... Its also geared to younger people so it's more attune to kids and christmas gifts. I don't remember seeing or hearing about people getting each other PC games for xmas.

PC is an example which is probably what? 99% digital? I remember key games like Diablo 3 and Call of Duty getting boxed games way back. Does Activision sell new CODs in boxes anymore?

So the possibility is there for console games to go all digital too. But not yet as reports say games are 70% digital on console. Still 30% are disc buyers. Maybe for Series Y or PS6 or the gen after that. And PS5 and Series X still have 4k drive models. At some point in the future one of them will take the plunge with 100% discless models and the other will follow.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

You won't be able to download these forever.
Would take this whole thing with a grain of salt as it's from "gamer network". Wait for an announcement.

The nice thing about gaming primarily on PC is that this sort of thing is largely irrelevant. I mean, we'll soon be able to play these Sony games on PC for the foreseeable future (RCPS3 emulation is not slowing down), so those disgruntled by this news might consider picking up a gaming PC.

Also, sometimes it's hard to tell if this is a gaming enthusiast forum, a gaming corporation enthusiast forum, or just a bunch of trolls trying to set each other off. Or all of the above, I guess.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
well if Sony doesn't patch the System Software of the PS3 you won't be able to play your PS3 digital games in general anymore for much longer lol... without the internal clock being kept running the PS3 will not launch digital games and the PS4 won't even read discs anymore (but the PS4 is save for now of course)

nah, fuck all that... do what I said earlier in this thread:

there are more issues with this. the PS3 has an internal clock that is run by a battery and checked each time you are online. when the internal battery dies and you can't connect to the PSN servers anymore, the PS3 will not be able to launch any digital games anymore that you bought and downloaded. for the PS4 it is even worse, that thing won't even read discs anymore if that happens, so whenever those go offline the PS4 is fucked...

maybe I am repeating myself here but...
SOFTMOD NOW!
This is always seemed like a really shit design, bundling RPC chip with battery. Anyway, when you change the clock in dashboard it will run fine I hope....

So my collection of PS4 retail discs will not work offline in the future, that's awesome. Thanks Sony! I will do illegal stuff to make them work.

Great job, great inducting to the dark side.

I still can't believe on this, honestly.

Last edited:

luxsol

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was required to get angry about shit I really don't care about!

I have 2 PS3's with loads of games on them, and haven't turned on either more than a handul of times in the last 7 years.

Who said you need to be angry?
It's people DEFENDING and SUPPORTING anti-consumer policies that are the problem. DLC, online pay-walls, and now shutting down stores for older hardware fuck over consumers. This has been built up over the past decade, because of people supporting any time game companies try to fuck you over.

I don't mind fucking apathy. "Who cares" is 99% of the world.
It's the 1% who gives their money that enables this shit to happen, not grandmas who don't own TVs or little kids who play freeware without access to their mom's credit card.

I remember back when Xbox Live and pay wall PSN was created, people defended that shit by saying they're supporting the infrastructure and saying everyone else is a freeloader. Well this was never true, considering the video games themselves had ALWAYS paid for that infrastructure and now even having millions of people PAYING for that infrastructure it's still being torn down.
It's all in the name of making you pay AGAIN for the same games you already own.

I've bought multiple consoles (and computers), Dreamcasts, PSXs, PS2s, and also have 2 PS3s (thinking about buying another one now) because i want to ensure i have a console to play the games i own decades from now. With the PS3 it sounds like i can't have that same convienence as i have had with older consoles, thanks to supporters bending the fuck over to fuck everyone else too.

duXM1dp.jpg

Agent X

Well, this is interesting.

Remember this post earlier in the thread, where a developer of an upcoming Vita game said that his game would be the last one to be approved on the system, and would only be available on PS Store for about 4 months?

This is real, unfortunately. Colin mentioned on his Sacred Symbols podcast that a new Vita game is coming out soon, Scourgebringer, and it's probably going to be the last one released. Here's the dev's tweets:

Their official twitter account is here, which retweets these.

It appears that his Twitter posts on this subject were deleted.

Was his previous information inaccurate or incorrect, or did Sony reconsider this decision and give a reprieve to these older systems?

The information about the PS Store closure has already been reported by some larger media outlets. Let's hope that they get to the bottom of this story.

Derktron

Banned
From what I can tell from seeing countless people put their take on this I can see why preservation is important and I can see the future of games that are decades old being lost. Now I can understand why it happens, where companies can’t tend to old servers but I think they need to come up with ways to save these games from getting lost. Especially when it comes to making sure our purchases stay in place.

Derktron

Banned
They should just dump all the games on PS4/5 store and let you get and play them therez shame they shutting the stores down
I think this should be an option, only because of how much people spent on digital purchases on PS3, now I don’t know about Vita or PSP because that’s something touchy.

Tmack

This is beyond WTF...

What sony had to do is make a lo-fi striped down version with just a searchable list to keep their stores running with minimun upkeep.

It`s not like a Ngage store for f sake.... Sony still in the gaming business, closing those virtual stores is ridiculous...

Last edited:
Those stores are about 1000 years old in Sony years.

If you are lucky you will be able to purchase your fav games from those stores remastered real soon after for 79.99
Sony knows i booted up my PS3 for a good portion of last year when my PS4 bit the dust. It's not their business strategy, buy they know these systems are being used.

I actually was on the store a ton too looking for things I missed. Bad company.

FStubbs

None of these mega corporations deserve a pass. You can't tell me Nintendo doesn't have the money to migrate the Wii store to their own servers. Unless it's a Ouya, which literally went bankrupt, there's no excuse for any of these platform holders to shut down their digital storefronts.
I think you're missing the point - Nintendo didn't shut it down, gamespy did. To be fair, sure, they could've spent millions to try to work with a hostile company to migrate the store over or build a new store on an older console.

Rob_27

Presumably all these are different stores/environments. if they were all combined or modular it wouldnt be a problem? but thats not what sony have done. Somehow i can buy xbox, xbox360 games from the MS one.

Agent X

I think you're missing the point - Nintendo didn't shut it down, gamespy did. To be fair, sure, they could've spent millions to try to work with a hostile company to migrate the store over or build a new store on an older console.

Nintendo's' partnership with GameSpy wasn't for the Wii Shop (online store), but rather for Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for online play.

I agree with AmuroChan AmuroChan in that Nintendo shouldn't have gotten a free pass over it. If Nintendo put management of their online gaming service (not the store) for two systems (Wii and DS) into the hands of a third-party that suddenly and unceremoniously pulled the plug, then yes, Nintendo does deserve a fair chunk of the blame. People weren't buying the "GameSpy Wii", they were buying the "Nintendo Wii". Nintendo could and should have figured out some way to utilize a different set of servers from a different provider for that purpose.

AmuroChan

I got the point. I know Nintendo didn't shut it down, but they decided to partner with Gamespy. That's on them. They shouldn't need to rely on a third party to run their digital storefront. They are a $70 Billion dollar company. Sorry, but I'm not giving them a free pass and just put 100% of the blame on Gamespy.

Agent X

Presumably all these are different stores/environments. if they were all combined or modular it wouldnt be a problem? but thats not what sony have done.

Here's the thing: Sony did have a unified PlayStation Store on the Web, which contained PS3, PSP, PS Vita, and PS4 games in one place. They sort of closed this off shortly before PS5 released, and replaced it with a new Web-based storefront that only contains PS4 and PS5 games.

However, the old PS Store interface is still accessible. See this thread that I posted on November 1, 2020:

From what I understand, some of the PS Store links for certain regions might not work anymore. I just checked the US PS Store link, and that one still works. It's not fully updated (for things like sales), but new games can still be found. For example, I searched for Habroxia 2 (a game for PS4 and PS Vita that was released on February 3, 2021), and it's there.

If Sony would like to promote the "old" Web-based store as a method for devoted PS3/PSP/PS Vita owners to purchase digital games, then they should do so. I have no problem if they want to keep it gated away from the PS4/PS5 stuff. At least there would be some avenue for people to buy games for those systems if they still wanted to.

Somehow i can buy xbox, xbox360 games from the MS one.

Yes, and just like how you can buy downloadable versions of "original Xbox games" on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S, you can buy "PS2 games" on PS4 and PS5. You can also buy games that are cross-buy with PS3 and PS Vita.

You can't buy downloadable games on an original Xbox system anymore. That's a more accurate analogy here. Sony's shutting down the ability to purchase those games using the actual systems that the games were originally designed for.

yurinka

If it ends being true, it would be nice that the reason would be that now PS1, PS2 (more than the ones available on PS4 and PS5), PSP and Vita game will be emulated on PS5 and PS Now and you'll get there all (99% of the catalog) the digital games you already got of these systems because the PSN accounts are the same for all platforms. Or that they shut down the old stores because they will replace them with the new one, where they would integrate these old systems too.

But I think it won't happen if this supposed rumor with no credible or known source ends being true.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Edit: nevermind, found the option to add to cart, weird for having to press x twice. I won’t pull the trigger just yet tho, but their recent updates to the web store make it pretty clear they’re gonna drop support in favor of a new and improved ps now.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
You can't buy downloadable games on an original Xbox system anymore. That's a more accurate analogy here. Sony's shutting down the ability to purchase those games using the actual systems that the games were originally designed for.

Too many people act like stores shutting down is some kind of bogeyman to be afraid of, but probably won't really happen.
When it has already been done.

All content downloads on the original Xbox have been gone for a decade now. Various map packs, title updates, most first generation Xbox Live Arcade games. Vaporized into the ether of history.

Armorian

Banned
I bought PS3 (model CECH-2504 - the best PS3 to rule them all) in friday, will put SSD on it, download all my PSN games and keep it for years, I sold 2 PS3 already (80GB Phat and Super Slim) LOL

Drew1440

Too many people act like stores shutting down is some kind of bogeyman to be afraid of, but probably won't really happen.
When it has already been done.

All content downloads on the original Xbox have been gone for a decade now. Various map packs, title updates, most first generation Xbox Live Arcade games. Vaporized into the ether of history.
Whilst original Xbox DLC and arcade game are no longer downloadable from Microsoft, you can still download customised installers for these along with the DLC/games, so they are preserved to an extent. Very little of the content has been lost with the exception of the Midtown Madness 3 DLC, which does exist but the signing mechanism hasn't been reverse engineered yet.

Orta

Banned
A bit late to this. Coincidentally I unearthed my PS3 this past week after about ten years and have been having an absolute blast with it (never knew it played PS1 discs either). Anyway I have a couple of digital titles on it Afterburner, GTI Club+, etc. I've briefly read they can be backed up to an external hard drive/flash drive and reinstalled to the console but others contradict this saying only saves can be backed up. What's the story? I never spent much time with my PS3 so its all rather alien to me. It's a lovely system btw, am glad I kept it.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

A bit late to this. Coincidentally I unearthed my PS3 this past week after about ten years and have been having an absolute blast with it (never knew it played PS1 discs either). Anyway I have a couple of digital titles on it Afterburner, GTI Club+, etc. I've briefly read they can be backed up to an external hard drive/flash drive and reinstalled to the console but others contradict this saying only saves can be backed up. What's the story? I never spent much time with my PS3 so its all rather alien to me. It's a lovely system btw, am glad I kept it.
Me2. Unearthed it and instantly regretted selling half my collection including some real rare titles. Needless to say I started hunting them down one by one. Love this system

AGRacing

I re-pasted my original PS3 , cleaned it completely and put an SSD in it around October. Downloaded the really important titles I had on PSN.

I suppose the smart thing to do would be to just pirate all the games I want on there if they don't work one day or I've overlooked something I've owned (the download menu is a slow mess). If Sony has a problem with THAT (and I'm sure they really don't care) they can bite me.

Agent X

However, the old PS Store interface is still accessible. See this thread that I posted on November 1, 2020:

From what I understand, some of the PS Store links for certain regions might not work anymore. I just checked the US PS Store link, and that one still works. It's not fully updated (for things like sales), but new games can still be found. For example, I searched for Habroxia 2 (a game for PS4 and PS Vita that was released on February 3, 2021), and it's there.

If Sony would like to promote the "old" Web-based store as a method for devoted PS3/PSP/PS Vita owners to purchase digital games, then they should do so. I have no problem if they want to keep it gated away from the PS4/PS5 stuff. At least there would be some avenue for people to buy games for those systems if they still wanted to.
Three days later, and the situation has changed. Sony must've taken notice, as this "back door" method of accessing the "old" PS Store no longer works.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Three days later, and the situation has changed. Sony must've taken notice, as this "back door" method of accessing the "old" PS Store no longer works.
wow. Soon, the only way to buy those games will be from second-hand sites. Unless the smooth-brains over there make the PS4/5 BC. I mean game journals are talking about it. I'm sure Sony would love the negative press.

dcx4610

This is the problem with going digital on consoles. Digital games tend to be tied to a specific box. On Steam, yes it's digital but those same games you bought 10 years ago will work on your current PC or any other PC you build. My hope is that going forward, consoles will use this model. It was mostly a programming issue with previous gens using specialized/custom hardware. Now with everything because x86, there is zero excuse not to have your past gen systems carry over to the new systems.

Even still, Microsoft has been much better with digital content. Their stores are still open and if you buy a game on the 360, chances are it's going to work on the Xbox One or Xbox Series X through emulation or a new build all together. Hopefully now that Sony is x86, all PS4 games SHOULD work on PS5 and if we do get a PS6, hopefully it's also X86 and instantly plays PS4 and PS5 titles.

Consoles need to stop treating themselves as individual boxes with specific games and instead morph into just the current version of said machine. A Playstation should play all previous titles without question. You should be able to open the PlayStation store and browse a complete library of every system and they should work - not just PS5 games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the problem with going digital on consoles. Digital games tend to be tied to a specific box. On Steam, yes it's digital but those same games you bought 10 years ago will work on your current PC or any other PC you build. My hope is that going forward, consoles will use this model. It was mostly a programming issue with previous gens using specialized/custom hardware. Now with everything because x86, there is zero excuse not to have your past gen systems carry over to the new systems.

Even still, Microsoft has been much better with digital content. Their stores are still open and if you buy a game on the 360, chances are it's going to work on the Xbox One or Xbox Series X through emulation or a new build all together. Hopefully now that Sony is x86, all PS4 games SHOULD work on PS5 and if we do get a PS6, hopefully it's also X86 and instantly plays PS4 and PS5 titles.

Consoles need to stop treating themselves as individual boxes with specific games and instead morph into just the current version of said machine. A Playstation should play all previous titles without question. You should be able to open the PlayStation store and browse a complete library of every system and they should work - not just PS5 games.
100% agree.

The funny thing is online stores is just that online. As long as you got some tech people and servers to keep it running, it's doable to keep it there for ages. I don't now if it's still playable, but at one time Activision still had COD 2 MP servers up on 360 like 10 years after. You never know. It might still be up for the 6 gamers in the world still playing a 2005 game on 360. If greedy Activision is willing to leave up servers for a game with zero monetization, I'm sure Sony can for PS3 digital sales.

It's not like a traditional manufacturer with machines, factories and production schedules. How often does Steam or GOG take a game off their list? I don't know. But if you bought an old game and they took it off, you can probably still re-download it. Going by what I've seen on GOG, it seems like once a game is there, it's there forever.

If console makers had more unified online stores like Steam/GOG so a gamer with a PS3 could go to the PS3 section. Or just have the games filterable by console. No different than GOG with Windows, OSX and Linux filters.

But companies like Sony want people to move up to recent consoles where games cost more and have a big focus on mtx.

Steam and GOG could do the same (cut the cord on oldies) and force gamers to all gravitate to newer games that pull in more revenue, but they seem fine having old games for sale at $5 even if it's 10+ years old. GOG has 90% off sales selling games from 1990 for $2. I've done it myself. I don't see GOG trying to skew me to buy newer PC games they sell for $50.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im working on updating and DLing all the necessary PS3 patches and DLC before they take it all down.
The double space needed is just crazy. Need space for the download and then the installer.
I basically have to reverse engineer everything from largest space to smallest.
Sony sucks so bad at this stuff. Good lord.

Took me over 10 hours to update Gran Turismo 5 and 6.
Hilarious.

Im snagging some DLC for the Hot Shots Golf World Invitational.

GAF should do an official thread about recommendations of stuff to DL before the store is gone.
Stuff like getting MGS4 patched up to the huge update that came out years after release.
Patches for Ketsiu and Gundam Extreme vs.
There's some rare ps1 games on the store like ZanacXzanaC and Gaiaseed.
Just some examples...

Top Bottom