• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

WatDat

Banned
No no no... you see, I was told that MS was the good guy!... they'd never EVER try and do something like that evil EVIL Sony! (for real though, I am getting a PS5 so all of the exclusivity deals that Sony is/will be getting sure sound mighty pro consumer to me!).

I read your post, laughed. Then saw your avatar and laughed even harder.
Is this place even TRYING anymore!?!?

pixelation

I read your post, laughed. Then saw your avatar and laughed even harder.
Is this place even TRYING anymore!?!?
Funny, people here were super mad at Sony because they were so "anti-consumer" (when word got out of the SpiderMan deal even though Microsoft has done similar things in the past). Now word comes out that they were too looking for exclusivity deals but just didn't or couldn't pony up and that's the actual reason why Sony is apparently getting a lot of exclusivity deals?... sorry if I find that funny (reminds me of all that talk "cross gen won't hold back the XBSX!!!" and then we saw the truth with that Halo Infinite trailer).

Just no, you are over reaching with how much data needs to be loaded for a game.

Maybe if you wanted to throw the player through 10 full levels within the blink of an eye so you wouldn't even have time to look at it. Maybe you would then get your impractical advantage you desire.

Any 3rd Gen SSD is more than enough for games of this generation.

I do not think people understand that one of the key benefits of the PS5’s incredible I/O system is that is allows more memory to be used for rendering and additional features. The memory allocated for data coming from storage can be a lot smaller because that data arrives so much quicker. Memory can be put to better use instead of lying idle as a reserve for data that might be used later.

The PS5 includes a revolutionary architecture that allows storage to effectively expand memory. The Xbox is also trying to do something similar, but it does not sound like it will be remotely as effective as it relies a lot more on software, which will make it slower while adding latency.

Past generational transitions saw memory grow about 16 times in size. This time console memory is only going to grow two times, so the I/O system now becomes really important.

I do not think people understand that one of the key benefits of the PS5’s incredible I/O system is that is allows more memory to be used for rendering and additional features. The memory allocated for data coming from storage can be a lot smaller because that data arrives so much quicker. Memory can be put to better use instead of lying idle as a reserve for data that might be used later.

The PS5 includes a revolutionary architecture that allows storage to effectively expand memory. The Xbox is also trying to do something similar, but it does not sound like it will be remotely as effective as it relies a lot more on software, which will make it slower while adding latency.

Past generational transitions saw memory grow about 16 times in size. This time console memory is only going to grow two times, so the I/O system now becomes really important.
I really hope you are a dev with such intimate details on both consoles. Your speaking as if its facts.

One question that has been on my mind lately: How does the gaming industry view Game Pass? Is it a threat or opportunity?

For some studios, I can see how they might regard it as an opportunity; they forge a deal with MS to curate a small game or an older game to expose more customers to their content. But let us consider the other side.

Sony makes the Playstation platform and supports it as a publisher for their in-house studios. Content from the industry is sold through the Playstation Store, and Sony takes a 30% cut. This still looks like a fair deal when compared to selling a hard copy on a disc. Sony has an advantage because it is their platform and store, but the playing field is almost level. They still sell their games in the same market as everyone else, and keeping the marketplace attractive and diverse boosts the platform.

With Game Pass, MS will provide all of its first party games as part of the curated content. 3rd parties would need to negotiate some deal with Microsoft, who decides what ends up next to their titles. MS’s customers might be paying $180/year, and have access to more content than they have time to play. This would give MS incredible leverage to crush the rest of the industry if Game Pass ever became the dominant way to access interactive content. Sure, customers can buy whatever they want, but they may be just as likely to ask, Why should they spend more?

It all looks rosy today, and Game Pass subscribers (about 10 million currently) have lots of stuff to play, but what happens long term? Will EA, Activision, Crytek, From Software, Take-Two/Rockstar, Bandai, Bethesda, Capcom, Codemasters, Epic Games, Gearbox Software, Konami, Square Enix, THQ, Ubisoft, etc. support Xbox if they feel it poses a threat to their prosperity or survival?

If Game Pass is really viewed as a threat, then it might drive publishers to make deals with Sony, aside from the money offered.

I really hope you are a dev with such intimate details on both consoles. Your speaking as if its facts.

I am definitely not a game developer, but everything that I am referring to is public knowledge. Numerous industry leaders have openly commented on the unprecedented capability of the PS5’s I/O system, so I do not see what the controversy is.

I do have a technical background, and some appreciation for computing architecture.

Last edited:

Redlight

Without GOTY level games you get 3rd party games, and can you remind me of the GOTY games on Xbox to make this talk even relevant?
Third party games are often considered to be GOTY.

In the last 5 years, Xbox gamers have had the game of the year (as voted by IGN) available to them on 3 occasions, playstation on 4 (Zelda was the other title).

I'm far from suggesting that IGN is the be all and end all, just an example of how subjective this is. Giant Bomb would have the same four 'game of the year' winners available on Sony and MS consoles over the last five years.

Certainly not the runaway result you misleadingly claim it to be.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The point is that I think Sony views MS as a waaaaaay bigger threat this time. Without a constant stream of exclusives, I think Sony worries people might drift towards Halo Infinite (free to play) and GamePass. That's why I think Sony is spending so much money early on in the PS5s lifecycle.
Ehh.. I think Sony is just swimming in money and sees a weak competitor they can potentially remove from the market with throwing a bit of cash and influence around.

I'm not some Xbox hater but I don't know what anyone thinks Sony has to be afraid of.

teezzy

Banned
Ehh.. I think Sony is just swimming in money and sees a weak competitor they can potentially remove from the market with throwing a bit of cash and influence around.

I'm not some Xbox hater but I don't know what anyone thinks Sony has to be afraid of.

I'm an Xbox lover, and I'm not even entirely sure what anyone thinks Sony has to be afraid of.

Yes, I can play Game Pass on a toaster. That's well and good, but show me the fucking bear, Phil.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm an Xbox lover, and I'm not even entirely sure what anyone thinks Sony has to be afraid of.

Yes, I can play Game Pass on a toaster. That's well and good, but show me the fucking bear, Phil.
Yeah it's not like Game Pass is brand new... it hasn't made a dent in Sony's ever expanding revenue / market share.

Now granted Microsoft will use the new generation to heavily market this stuff.. more than they have this gen... but Sony is just so dominant mindshare wise and sales wise going into next gen.. it really feels like them being aggressive is just them trying to dominate even further.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned

No, it's just that Sony has the weaker machine this time and they want to make it harder for people to do direct comparisons. Exactly the same reason that MS pulled this shit back when they had the weaker machine.

teezzy

Banned
Sony is going to absolutely demolish next gen aren't they....

Sony is amazing at what they do. They entered the console race with a chip on their shoulder against Nintendo and absolutely stomped Nintendo into applying their Game Boy philosophy to every console release post PS2 era. Even my beloved Microsoft realizes they can't compete on a direct level so they're attempting to reinvent the entire industry via their services and rebranding the Xbox more like the phone industry. Sony is doubling down on what works for them. Of the major three, Sony are the ones that remain the old guards of the classic console closed garden philosophy at this point. My major bone to pick with them is that rather than maintain their competitive edge, they're pulling crap from other platforms which is damaging as a whole. Same reason I dislike Epic Games Store as much as I do. It's such a weasel way to encourage people to buy your console.

But yes, yes they are.

oldergamer

tenor.gif
Truth hurts

Sony is amazing at what they do. They entered the console race with a chip on their shoulder against Nintendo and absolutely stomped Nintendo into applying their Game Boy philosophy to every console release post PS2 era. Even my beloved Microsoft realizes they can't compete on a direct level so they're attempting to reinvent the entire industry via their services and rebranding the Xbox more like the phone industry. Sony is doubling down on what works for them. Of the major three, Sony are the ones that remain the old guards of the classic console closed garden philosophy at this point. My major bone to pick with them is that rather than maintain their competitive edge, they're pulling crap from other platforms which is damaging as a whole. Same reason I dislike Epic Games Store as much as I do. It's such a weasel way to encourage people to buy your console.

But yes, yes they are.

Both are pretty good examples of what focus (or a lack of it) can do for the product and the brand as a whole.

TheGrat1

It is funny watching people get angry at this. It is SCE's literal job to make PlayStation the most attractive platform possible. Unlike Phil Spencer they actually care where you play your games. That means bringing as much compelling content as possible to your platform, and if that content is exclusive, even better. If Jim Ryan sits around twiddling his thumbs his competitiors can and will take advantage and his job is at risk. He is not doing this to hurt people who are not his consumers, he is doing this to compel you to become a PlayStation consumer.
This is business. And business is always business.

tenor.gif

teezzy

Banned
Both are pretty good examples of what focus (or a lack of it) can do for the product and the brand as a whole.

True.

That's my biggest concern about Microsoft's messaging going into next gen. Yes, they have the more powerful console. Yes, their attitude towards backwards compatibility in terms of software and peripherals, allowing Xbox exclusives on PC day one, continuing to support current gen are all super consumer friendly. Yes, Game Pass is bound to be as big of a game changer as Xbox Live or adding an HDD to a console initially was with original Xbox. But so far, none of that has come clear in their marketing. They haven't driven that home. Unless you're following this shit super closely, there really isn't much of a reason for anyone who isn't already within their ecosystem to buy an Xbox. Instead, we get Craig memes, and Phil laughing it all off.

Why aren't these points driven home? If their focus is to include everything but the kitchen sink, it should be well documented. Why weren't we shown more Hellblade 2? Why wasn't it made clear that Halo Infinite would be running 60fps in 4k? The people who watch these conferences aren't stupid, nor are they the average consumer. Explain things to us, we want to be interested in your product - that's why we're watching.

*sigh*

Like I said before... Microsoft needs someone ruthless that understands the gaming business. Phil isn't that person... he's just too soft.
Unfortunately Sony have no competition for next gen (don't consider Nintendo competition because they do their own thing). PS5 will crush in sales.

It's funny that you see Philip Spencer as a weak soft-hearted humble pie eating harmonica in the backpocket fella. Look up who ran Microsoft's game studios during the romance of Kinect. Follow that up with a search on the person behind the tv tv tv football tv tv tv plans for the Xbox One.

Let's briefly ignore the fact that Philip Spencer has been writing checks left and right and the Series X already has 22 console launch exclusives with (more than likely) more to come. Let's focus on the AAAAAAAA Mountain Taco Bell Dew tie-in franchises.
The reality is Microsoft would have to spend considerably more money than Sony for third-party 'big guns' because Microsoft have sold considerably less consoles than Sony. The PS4 is the 2nd most successful videogame console of all-time, currently sitting at 112m sold. The Xbox One is currently sitting at 9 billion bullets fired during the matchmaking screen. The massive disparity in console sales translates to a real problem during negotiations. For example, if Rockstar tells Sony "400 million dollars for 3 months of GTAVI exclusivity", they're telling Microsoft 800m or more for that exact same game for that exact same time period. There's zero chance that they quote Microsoft the same number as Sony because they (Rockstar) will lose way way way more money by not being on PlayStation than by not being on Xbox.

So if you're Microsoft and you're told "Pay us 800m for 90 days of a thing" while your competitor is told "Pay us 400m for 90 days of that exact same thing", you're probably going to reply with a "Fuck that shit" and hope beyond hope that those 90 days of not having that "thing" doesn't do irreversible damage to your product/brand. In the case of franchises like Street Fighter or Final Fantasy? Not paying twice/thrice the amount to have it won't do irreversible damage. In the case of franchises like GTA or Elder Scrolls? Not paying twice/thrice the amount to have it will do irreversible damage.

On top of companies charging Microsoft twice or more for exclusivity, there's the other truth that a number of folks don't bring up during these exclusive games talk. The PlayStation business makes significantly more money than the Xbox business. This means that even if Philip Spencer said "Alright we'll pay the 800m", their direct competitor has the funds to match and exceed that number. That is a bigass problem for Philip Spencer because the higher that number goes the more likely they won't make that money back. So even if Philip talked to papa Microsoft and asked for more cash, the answer could very well be a no. Unless the cash is locking up an extraordinarily popular IP (e.g. Minecraft), Microsoft won't pay a billion+ dollars for short timed exclusivity of a thing they won't make any money back on.

longdi

Banned
Please tell us more about this technological advancement.

By the time SCE realises that Gaas has taken off, they will be what, a generation behind MS.
Xcloud and Gamepass, you cant build their foundation in a year or two, you need to keep trucking and refining.
Phil made the decision on this over buying exclusives.

martino

One question that has been on my mind lately: How does the gaming industry view Game Pass? Is it a threat or opportunity?

For some studios, I can see how they might regard it as an opportunity; they forge a deal with MS to curate a small game or an older game to expose more customers to their content. But let us consider the other side.

Sony makes the Playstation platform and supports it as a publisher for their in-house studios. Content from the industry is sold through the Playstation Store, and Sony takes a 30% cut. This still looks like a fair deal when compared to selling a hard copy on a disc. Sony has an advantage because it is their platform and store, but the playing field is almost level. They still sell their games in the same market as everyone else, and keeping the marketplace attractive and diverse boosts the platform.

With Game Pass, MS will provide all of its first party games as part of the curated content. 3rd parties would need to negotiate some deal with Microsoft, who decides what ends up next to their titles. MS’s customers might be paying $180/year, and have access to more content than they have time to play. This would give MS incredible leverage to crush the rest of the industry if Game Pass ever became the dominant way to access interactive content. Sure, customers can buy whatever they want, but they may be just as likely to ask, Why should they spend more?

It all looks rosy today, and Game Pass subscribers (about 10 million currently) have lots of stuff to play, but what happens long term? Will EA, Activision, Crytek, From Software, Take-Two/Rockstar, Bandai, Bethesda, Capcom, Codemasters, Epic Games, Gearbox Software, Konami, Square Enix, THQ, Ubisoft, etc. support Xbox if they feel it poses a threat to their prosperity or survival?

If Game Pass is really viewed as a threat, then it might drive publishers to make deals with Sony, aside from the money offered.

imo it's both, it depends on studio and/or project size/risk i guess
also it can always become a chronigical release for third parties like tv / blu ray to cinema to expand revenue and opportunity to develop the license.
but i don't expect to see a lot of day one big third party license on gamepass

Redlancet

Banned
Have you evidence of this?
I dont need to be sherlock homes, most devs i know are against this, Because they know what are the nocive aspects on the long run if someone have that power on the industry,you really think ea, ubi, and the others want Sony or Microsoft to make a system were they have absolute control of everything? If they Already hate the 30 Cut they have to pay now, imagine game pass

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I dont need to be sherlock homes, most devs i know are against this, Because they know what are the nocive aspects on the long run if someone have that power on the industry,you really think ea, ubi, and the others want Sony or Microsoft to make a system were they have absolute control of everything? If they Already hate the 30 Cut they have to pay now, imagine game pass
And yet there are a lot of games on there from big devs, GTA been on there Red Dead also cap com game , games from Ubisoft on there so i would do a bit more Sherlock Holmes befor you make a statement like that

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
And yet there are a lot of games on there from big devs, GTA been on there Red Dead also cap com game , games from Ubisoft on there so i would do a bit more Sherlock Holmes befor you make a statement like that
Gta was there... Four months after years on the market, rd2 two years after the Release
I know common sense is needed to understand why big publishers dont want their big titles day one on that service, and i understand that gamepass embassators dont have much.. So..

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Gta was there... Four months after years on the market, rd2 two years after the Release
I know common sense is needed to understand why big publishers dont want their big titles day one on that service, and i understand that gamepass embassators dont have much.. So..
But you were saying that big publishers wont put games on there, they do. Not day one yeah but they do go on there. Same with PSnow as well. you can get ALL xbox exclusives there day one, has sony got a service where they do the same?

Redlancet

Banned
But you were saying that big publishers wont put games on there, they do. Not day one yeah but they do go on there. Same with PSnow as well. you can get ALL xbox exclusives there day one, has sony got a service where they do the same?
Hey mate, stop moving goalpost, i said most big publishers hate the system, you can hate something and still work in that system, Sony? Sony sells his first party like hot cakes, they arent desperate and Willing to lose money

By the time SCE realises that Gaas has taken off, they will be what, a generation behind MS.
Xcloud and Gamepass, you cant build their foundation in a year or two, you need to keep trucking and refining.
Phil made the decision on this over buying exclusives.
GaaS HAS taken off. And Sony is benefiting by taking 30% off every dollar Fortnite makes on Playstation hardware.

Further, the news on the block isn't that Xbox refused to buy timed exclusives; it is that they couldn't afford it. Note that gaming media interpreted as Sony is willing to pay more, but I think they are wrong.

I think Xbox simply had to pay far more for the same exclusive titles, because of the difference in ecosystem size. Third party studios are expecting to make twice as much money on PS5 than they do on Series X, so they would ask Xbox to pay twice what they would charge Sony.

It doesn't matter what next gen sales ratio would actually be like, the current Third Party studios are making financial calculations using what they already know. And the current math simply makes Xbox timed exclusivity really unattractive to studios.

And as such, i find your desire to see MS intentionally not buy time exclusives, very similar to previous comments on how Xbox doesn't need first party games. You know what you are not getting, and you are retroactively trying to justify what you lack is a good thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
GaaS HAS taken off. And Sony is benefiting by taking 30% off every dollar Fortnite makes on Playstation hardware.

Further, the news on the block isn't that Xbox refused to buy timed exclusives; it is that they couldn't afford it. Note that gaming media interpreted as Sony is willing to pay more, but I think they are wrong.

I think Xbox simply had to pay far more for the same exclusive titles, because of the difference in ecosystem size. Third party studios are expecting to make twice as much money on PS5 than they do on Series X, so they would ask Xbox to pay twice what they would charge Sony.

It doesn't matter what next gen sales ratio would actually be like, the current Third Party studios are making financial calculations using what they already know. And the current math simply makes Xbox timed exclusivity really unattractive to studios.

And as such, i find your desire to see MS intentionally not buy time exclusives, very similar to previous comments on how Xbox doesn't need first party games. You know what you are not getting, and you are retroactively trying to justify what you lack is a good thing.
It is simple xbox fans would rather phil spend his money on new studios instead of 1 or 2 big timed exclusives. Phil does not have an unlimited budget to spend 750 million on a money hat. That is 3 insomniac level studio purchases for 1 timed exclusive. Which would a customer get more value out of in a generation 1 timed exclusive or 3 insomniac level studios.

It is simple xbox fans would rather phil spend his money on new studios instead of 1 or 2 big timed exclusives. Phil does not have an unlimited budget to spend 750 million on a money hat. That is 3 insomniac level studio purchases for 1 timed exclusive. Which would a customer get more value out of in a generation 1 timed exclusive or 3 insomniac level studios.
But that assumes Sony somehow has a bigger budget.
And that's where the oldschool Warchest talk falls flat on its face. Xbox as a division is struggling, and the more they struggle the less they could ask for money infusion from Microsoft. Somehow Sony is able to pay for both a large number of 1st party games and third party moneyhats. Why couldn't Xbox do both as well?

Surely if Gamepass is making money hand over fist, that would mean they could spend that money that is at least on par with what Sony is doing?

Unless... Gamepass is NOT making money?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But that assumes Sony somehow has a bigger budget.
And that's where the oldschool Warchest talk falls flat on its face. Xbox as a division is struggling, and the more they struggle the less they could ask for money infusion from Microsoft. Somehow Sony is able to pay for both a large number of 1st party games and third party moneyhats. Why couldn't Xbox do both as well?

Surely if Gamepass is making money hand over fist, that would mean they could spend that money that is at least on par with what Sony is doing?

Unless... Gamepass is NOT making money?

We KNOW Gamepass isn't profiting that well.

NickFire

The One S is still $299. You really think they will make a brand new console for $199? If they wanted to be aggressive and lose money why didn't they do that with the X1?
I don't know if they would, but I have trouble seeing how they close the market share gap without doing something much more significant than letting you rent games every month. Regarding X1 specifically, that would have been a bad time to subsidize because the generation had already been lost.

Unknown?

The problem will be just like TV streaming now. If it's successful publishers will pull out and create their own exclusive streaming services. Then you'll have tons and have to subscribe to more than one to get the games that you want, essentially turning gaming into cable TV.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So Sony strategy is to go aggressive with deals yet they are so scared to reveal the price and waiting for Microsoft? Something doesn’t add up.

Top Bottom