• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Toys for Bob is NOT shutting down (Up: See post #155)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update:

crash-bandicoot-4-developer-toys-for-bob-teases-potential-new-game_feature.jpg

https://www.sfchronicle.com/tech/article/tech-layoffs-microsoft-activision-blizzard-18651552.php

The layoffs in Novato at 4 Hamilton Landing match an address for gaming studio and “Skylanders” creator Toys for Bob, which was acquired by Activision in 2005. The facility will also be closing, according to a state filing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Refuse to believe this is true. This would be disgusting.

Edit - looks like it’s just the physical premises which they’ve also done for Sledghammer but moved them to a smaller physical location. Hopefully doesn’t mean the studio is being closed down.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sad. Those remakes were great and for all its faults, 4 was still a good game.

Doubt anyone's left from the Pandemonium! days but that's still a hell of a legacy.

LordCBH

If Sony is smart they'll build a studio around former employees of Toys for Bob and have them bring back Jak and Sly Cooper, maybe take over Ratchet and Clank.

Sony's missing games like this in their portfolio.

Lord. If they opened a “Toys for Jim” and rejuvenated Sly or Jak like they did for Spyro and Crash I’d be so fucking happy.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

If Sony is smart they'll build a studio around former employees of Toys for Bob and have them bring back Jak and Sly Cooper, maybe take over Ratchet and Clank.

Sony's missing games like this in their portfolio.
So are Microsoft ironically, t4b would have made an excellent studio for all of there ips that are suited to that studio, instead of closing them down how about, oooh I don’t know another viva piñata, you’d think with Palworld they might like to look into that, or banjo (even if I never particularly liked them myself) etc.

I hope Sony does do what you said, the og jak was one of my fave games on the ps2, I did everything that game had to offer (never liked sly or ratchet though)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Where are all the fucking idiots that were cheerleading for MS to buy Activision?

They actually had talent and lots of potential. But nope, visionless, brainless Microsoft shuts them down and doubles down on ... whatever the fuck their plan is.

Last edited:

CamHostage

All the Crash fans that cheered the ABK deal...fuck you.

Well, there was a hope (fueled by hints from Microsoft) that the dormant Acti brands would have renewed value in the new Xbox ecosystem, whereas Activision was pretty much done greenlighting anything that wasn't CoD. (Xbox doesn't have a great rep with old brands either, but they at least remember every once in a blue moon what Xbox or Rare have in the archive.)

But that was perilous hope, and after the layoffs and whatever else us happing to the studio, it's seeming to be fruitless hope. (MS could eventually get indies to make these games, but don't put faith in hope again...)

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Well, there was a hope (fueled by hints from Microsoft) that the dormant brands would have renewed value in the Xbox ecosystem, whereas Activision was pretty much done greenlighting anything that wasn't CoD.

But that was perilous hope, and now it's seemimg to be fruitless hope. (MS could still get indies to make these games, but don't put faith in hope again...)
Didn’t he say that he went around each studio individually and asked what game they would like to make?

Perhaps they said crackdown but he heard close us down.

Top Bottom