• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Toys for Bob is NOT shutting down (Up: See post #155)

Spyxos

Gold Member
Fuck you. That was their best studio. But of course make 10 thousand new cods. There are not enough of these.

Xbox fans were totally oblivious. They forgot that everything MS touches turns into shit.
I was against the merger regardless who bought Activision. Just don't think they are good for the industry. Always found it hilarious though how people were hoping that MS would so anyone else wouldn't buy. Why would MS do a good job or resurrect dormant IPs. They are probably the worst company in this industry at managing studios and putting out good games. Ffs, they already had a 'platformer mascot' in their portfolio already in banjo for over 20 years, who they made one game and it was something that NOBODY wanted.

Regardless, sad if this is the end for Toys for Bob and the employees. Might be for the best though, hopefully they find or form a new studio and get the hell away from MS.

xrnzaaas

Fucking hell. They delivered great non-CoD games and there was so much potential left in Spyro, Crash or other oldschool series. Plus they would've been great as Game Pass offerings because of their smaller budgets.

@gkTH

The acquisition is for better competition.
Who's gonna refuse this!?
MS is leaning fat! (but the muscle mostly affected). 🤓

Mr Moose

Who else is going to make Phil Spencer's Banjo Kazooie? Toys For Bob was the perfect studio
Rare, maybe. Though I doubt any of those guys are left.
Sony should snap up the rights to Crash and Spyro
Spyro is a video game series originally created by Insomniac Games as an exclusive for Sony's PlayStation console.
Crash Bandicoot is a video game franchise originally developed by Naughty Dog as an exclusive for Sony's PlayStation console.
3A5nTJv-asset-mezzanine-16x9-KWjI5Fp.jpg

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Everything in the article hints at them moving to a smaller office post layoff related downsizing.

Naturally, thread’s run off with the rumor of them closing.

NEbeast

You’re just pushing a narrative. A lot of businesses have had layoff. Doesn’t mean anyone wants to see anyone without a job. Are you on the CoD development team what’s with this lol 😂 the way some of you talking like you have direct first hand knowledge.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

If you actually kept up with the news you would know how dumb you sound. Stop sucking off xbox and pay attention.

T4keD0wN

Is this not a clickbait and are they actually closing the studio like the title of the thread implies or are they closing the office and having workers go remote like is written in the article?

Which is it?

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Not going to look good for the smaller studios in Microsoft’s portfolio if it’s sink or swim time. Toys for Bob today could easily be Arkane post-Blade.

We all know from the Insomniac leak how many copies these licensed games need to turn a profit.

Kerotan

Yet another reason why the biggest companies in the world should be allowed take overs left right and centre. This was never going to be good for the industry.

Doom85

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Fuck this shitshow. Geezus Christ. I hope all the employees bounce back on their feet working under someone who respects their talent.

I haven’t gotten around to their Crash games, but Spyro Trilogy was mad fun, and I was hoping we’d get a Spyro 4 someday. Fucking bullshit.

Power Pro

This is so fucking stupid if true. Microsoft has plenty of money to keep a studio like this open, and when they're struggling to put out good games, you don't shutter one of your best studios that you just bought. God. WTF are they doing

reinking

Gold Member
Gutted the studio ? Toys for bob was also hiring a lot of people to support call of duty. It ever occurred maybe that those layoffs where for the cod support side of the studio. I just think it’s irresponsible to just throw anything out there without context or confirmation all in the name of its Xbox so who cares.
Let's do it your way.

Context:
They were hit hard with layoffs.
They are closing the building the studio worked out of.

Reasonable assumption: It's not good news.

Saber

Gold Member
So yeah...keep praising Microsoft for buying everything just to do what they have being doing for years, over and over again. History aways repeat.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Devastating if true. I think the founders set up a side studio to make a new Star Control. I wonder if they will try to expand and bring some of those displaced people on.

DryvBy

Is this not a clickbait and are they actually closing the studio like the title of the thread implies or are they closing the office and having workers go remote like is written in the article?

Which is it?

We don't know.

The best guess is it's Microsoft so take what the worst case scenario is and that's your answer.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My general understanding of the world is that Microsoft and Disney--despite both being companies I looked up to in the 80s/90s--are now irredeemably evil corporations that destroy everything they touch, and so far that has only been validated year after year.

Fox Mulder

I was hoping for Spyro 4 😭

The Spyro remake trilogy was great and Crash 4 was fun although quite bloated an unnecessarily difficult even compared to the originals. It’s not fair they got put in the CoD mines and presumably forced to make some live service arena multiplayer Crash game no one wanted.

Top Bottom