• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Toys for Bob is NOT shutting down (Up: See post #155)

Does anyone need to? We already know they gutted the studio. That was already a death sentence for them
Gutted the studio ? Toys for bob was also hiring a lot of people to support call of duty. It ever occurred maybe that those layoffs where for the cod support side of the studio. I just think it’s irresponsible to just throw anything out there without context or confirmation all in the name of its Xbox so who cares.

So are Microsoft ironically, t4b would have made an excellent studio for all of there ips that are suited to that studio, instead of closing them down how about, oooh I don’t know another viva piñata, you’d think with Palworld they might like to look into that, or banjo (even if I never particularly liked them myself) etc.

I hope Sony does do what you said, the og jak was one of my fave games on the ps2, I did everything that game had to offer (never liked sly or ratchet though)

I mean I think it's pretty clear that Naughty Dog today just doesn't have the resources to dedicate towards it, but after what T4B did to Crash, could you think of anyone better to take over Jak and Daxter?

Seems like a no-brainer for immediate portfolio diversification with a quality team. Similar to Supermassive Games, this is an obvious opportunity to recruit a ton of people who you can already pre-vet and there is already infrastructure in place for.

The only potential hang up might be timing. Sony may be still looking to cut payroll, but I still think this is beyond obvious, especially if they are considering doing a Jak movie.

The studio don’t need to confirm this. This is official info from a state filing.
State filing like every studio that’s shutting down doesn’t have developers online talking about it. Also just because the office building they’re in is closing doesn’t mean they can’t be moving or relocating .

It's interesting, I wonder if Microsoft could have saved these jobs by selling the Crash and Spyro IPs back to Sony. Instead, they will hold on to the IP while doing absolutely nothing with them for the next 10 years.

Gutted the studio ? Toys for bob was also hiring a lot of people to support call of duty. It ever occurred maybe that those layoffs where for the cod support side of the studio. I just think it’s irresponsible to just throw anything out there without context or confirmation all in the name of its Xbox so who cares.

Nearly half the studio?

EF69fcu.gif

State filing like every studio that’s shutting down doesn’t have developers online talking about it. Also just because the office building they’re in is closing doesn’t mean they can’t be moving or relocating .

It is possible that with the reduced size they are relocating to a smaller studio, remote work, or even a WeWork.

Kadve

All those threads with people wanting Microsoft to buy everything.

Really sucks. Granted being shut down might be better than being shackled to the COD machine like they have for he last 4 years.

All those people fired, now studios are closing...and even the 2025 COD is not even doing so well in development, lmao.

What a disgrace this year has been for MS.
You’re just pushing a narrative. A lot of businesses have had layoff. Doesn’t mean anyone wants to see anyone without a job. Are you on the CoD development team what’s with this lol 😂 the way some of you talking like you have direct first hand knowledge.

It's interesting, I wonder if Microsoft could have saved these jobs by selling the Crash and Spyro IPs back to Sony. Instead, they will hold on to the IP while doing absolutely nothing with them for the next 10 years.

They could give one of the IPs to Rare I suppose but I guess that’s a laughable idea. Everwild seems to be as quiet as a fart in the wind.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
"We are going multiplat but we are killing your old mascot, fk you !"

I really liked that last crash... shameeee

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

I mean I think it's pretty clear that Naughty Dog today just doesn't have the resources to dedicate towards it, but after what T4B did to Crash, could you think of anyone better to take over Jak and Daxter?

Seems like a no-brainer for immediate portfolio diversification with a quality team. Similar to Supermassive Games, this is an obvious opportunity to recruit a ton of people who you can already pre-vet and there is already infrastructure in place for.

The only potential hang up might be timing. Sony may be still looking to cut payroll, but I still think this is beyond obvious, especially if they are considering doing a Jak movie.
I don’t think it’s a problem resource wise I think it’s just more of a general shift in their philosophy. Maybe even a kind of “growing up mentality” going from *“Kiddy platform games” to be he last of us etc.

*when I say kiddy platform games I mean that as a public perception thing more than it been a game for kids. Besides some of the best games ever made are “kiddy platformers”

I think it’s also partially on ND with some level of freedom with what they create, but also partly a Sony directive in relation to there recent output and the bank that it has made Sony, and therefore determines what is to be expected of them going forwards. And if your onto a winning formula why change it (you even have other studios copying the formula god of war ragnarok for example)

I would love another jak game though, loved the graphics and art style of those games, the first one is still insanely good to play.

You’re just pushing a narrative. A lot of businesses have had layoff. Doesn’t mean anyone wants to see anyone without a job. Are you on the CoD development team what’s with this lol 😂 the way some of you talking like you have direct first hand knowledge.
huh? so you missed the news?

If this is good news to you...okay.

And yes layoffs have been going on...but imagine acquiring an entire publisher, saying you can't wait to work with Toys for Bob and then do this:

What part of my post is "pushing a narrative" exactly?

I'm not the one that has been lying for a decade...

Last edited:

Dazraell

Well, Activision had three studios handling Crash and Spyro games. Toys for Bob was one (Spyro Reignited, Crash 4, Crash Team Rumble), other was Vicarious Visions (Crash N'Sane Trilogy) which later was merged with Blizzard and Beenox (Crash Team Racing: Nitro-fueled). So I guess they still have one studio that could theoretically pick up these franchises

And yes layoffs have been going on...but imagine acquiring an entire publisher, saying you can't wait to work with Toys for Bob and then do this:

There’s no confirmation that the studio is closed. Or that they won’t get to work on that they want to work on next. This is just wild speculation as usual with the usuals pushing the anti Xbox agenda.

Wow

nial

Gold Member
I will wait for official confirmation, but man, this shit is surely blowing up in the faces of the MS acquisition cheerleaders.

nush

TFB became a for hire company, no more Star Control just selling out to Acti. MSFT are just coming in and cutting the fat from the portfolio.

graywolf323

Bruh, wtf!? Weren't they teasing a new Spyro game or something like that? Fuck right off!@

that was before all the layoffs happened, I mean we heard stories about various ABK people going through orientation with Microsoft only to get laid off <2 weeks later

this really sucks though because Spyro 4 would have been awesome, I remember a major selling point (supposedly) from the pro-acquisition crowd was the claim that Microsoft would let Toys for Bob make games like that or even stuff like Banjo… instead they’ve shuttered the studio 😑

Top Bottom