• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trevor Noah considered "the most likely candidate" to take over Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/trevor-noah-jon-stewart-replace-daily-show-frontrunner-video-1201400294/

The news about Noah is welcome for those who, like us, are exhausted covering the skyrocketing list of people who don’t want/aren’t getting the gig. That list includes former Comedy Central star Stephen Colbert, who instead is taking over David Letterman’s CBS late-night show (CBS started running Colbert promos today in its basketball coverage); former Comedy Central star John Oliver, who decided instead to sign a contract extension to continue hosting Last Week Tonight at HBO; former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who said so-long to the show last night as he heads to TBS to star and produce a comedy series and also exec produce a planned topical talker that would star his wife, fellow Daily Show correspondent Samatha Bee – also on the list of People Not Hosting The Daily Show – that’s expected to be a late-night vehicle; current Daily Show correspondent Jessica Williams, who declared herself “underqualified” for the gig in February in response to a petition calling for Comedy Central to give her the host’s chair. And on and on and on. It’s comforting to know someone actually wants the job, though we hear Comedy Central still is having conversations with others about the gig.

Noah’s been on the shortlist of likely contenders since early February – shorter than the list of people who aren’t going to replace Stewart, anyway – though he’d only debuted on The Daily Show as senior international correspondent on December 4.

Didn't see it posted. Lock if so.

He's not great, this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Would it hurt to have a female host? Jessica Williams seems perfect. Good delivery, funny and seems like she'd be able to handle some tough interviews.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't think Noah is ready yet so it could be a rough start if he does, but who knows he could get good quick.

smurfx

get some go again
i wanted jason jones to take over but he just left. i don't find jessica wiliams funny either. a lot of her skits have good premises but always fall flat.

Keep in mind the article notes that Williams took herself out of the running.

Yeah, I noticed that after my post. That's a shame as she's more than qualified based on her interviews.

Still, Noah doesn't come across as someone who is ready for the seat. His bits haven't been great so far...

Pepiope

Never knew Jason Jones and Samantha Bee were married.

I wanted him or Jessica Williams to take it over. Ah well, Noah could do well.

Jackpot

Banned
This guy?

X86pxIf.jpg

I wanted Wyatt Cenac.

wyatt-cenac-1-sized.jpg

Almighty

Doesn't matter who takes over.

JS IS the Daily Show

Pretty much how I feel as well. I am sure the Daily Show will go on with whoever they find to fill the seat, but as far as I am concerned the Daily Show that I love will be dead when Jon leaves. I will give the new guy or gal a chance out of curiosity if nothing else though.

A South African who's lived in the US for less than a year seems like a weird choice to front the flagship political satire show. Every joke is gonna obviously come from a writer rather than from his own experience with the political system.
..also not really a fan of how they currently use him on the show. Just repeats of "Hey the US is bad!...have you seen Africa?"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Huh.

You can't replace Stewart. Period. Trying to shoe horn some new intern is stupid.

explodet

..also not really a fan of how they currently use him on the show. Just repeats of "Hey the US is bad!...have you seen Africa?"
No kidding. They've written him to be kinda preachy.

Not familiar with his other work myself, but I can't see some of the material they write for Jon coming out of Trevor's mouth. There'd have to be a big adjustment.

Fusebox

Banned
Give Kleppers a go I reckon. Sure he's a bit too trendy right now but I think he could mellow into a great host.

Loofy

They have to find another jew to host.

Seriously jon stewarts yiddish grandmother impressions were the best, im gonna miss that.

Pizza

This would actually be amazing, and the kind of non typical move the show should go with.

Yes!! Especially with having the Colbert Report replaced with the Nightly Show. I'd really like something good to watch during what used to be my Stewart/Colbert power hour every night :( Larry Wilmore has smelly delivery on his not-great jokes, and I find his show to feel fairly toxic as a whole

foxtrot3d

Banned
The problem I have with any host replacing Jon is that a lot of the "candidates" act more like characters, which is fine for a bit piece but not for a host. What Jon brought was a sort of genuineness to the show, you didn't feel like he was putting on a character ala Colbert Report. He was just hosting a show and his conversations with guests felt real.

JCX

I thought it was be Aasif Mandvi.

He has an HBO show coming up soon iirc
- Sam and Jason going to TBS
- Wyatt doing a news comedy show on some network I haven't heard of
- Jessica Williams doesn't want to do it

So in-house, Trevor has the best persona to do it. I'd really like Amy Poehler personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom