• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what Tillerson has to do with this latest stuff (not complaining but just don't know) and I really don't understand this Russian Ambassador / Syria stuff. This is all moving too fast :(

Tillerson's credentials for SoS is receiving a friendship award from Putin and working around sanctions of Russia and Iran. Was also pretty suspect his name showed up after Putin publicly said "no" to Romney.

There is something called the Logan Act, which forbids citizens from contacting and dealing with states under sanction without the approval of the state department. Flynn (Trumps nat'l sec advisor) was in contact with the Russian government after the expulsion of diplomats by Obama without State Department approval. Pretty clearly violating the Logan Act.

Veitsev

I don't understand what Tillerson has to do with this latest stuff (not complaining but just don't know) and I really don't understand this Russian Ambassador / Syria stuff. This is all moving too fast :(

Ties with Russia/Oil industry and was given the Order of Friendship by Putin.

jelly

iris-hineman.gif

Self preservation

You know what I just realized? There's been minimal "but 4chan" the deeper we are into this affair of stupidity.

Not saying that it's confirmed, but when Damage control stops, you know it's beginning to get real

CNN is saying this decision was made in the last 24 hours.

They will be looking specifically to find links between Trumps team and Russia or Russian middlemen.

Oh wow. I thought this was just the investigation on Russian hacking and cyber security in general that McConnel discussed a few weeks ago.

But if this is actually in response to events of the last 24-48 hours, then this is pretty big.

I've probably read too many spy novels but former KGB agent and Russian oil exec Oleg Erovinkin died of a heart attack end of December.

http://stocknewsusa.com/2016/12/29/...eg-erovinkin-found-dead-backseat-black-lexus/

Besides that:

Russian Ambassador in Turkey, Andrei Karlov, was assassinated in Ankara on December 19th.

Another Russian diplomat, Petr Polshikov, was found dead in his apartment in Moscow that same day.

Yves Chandelon, NATO chief auditor on terrorist financing and money laundering, was also found dead in his car on 16th December.

I wonder if some of those guys were Chris Steele informants. The NATO guy is interesting. Schindler said something about NATO intel finding financial ties between Trump and Russia.

Just fooling around I guess

guek

Banned
Deflection

"Squirrel!"

Desperation!

No, seriously though, what is this? The article itself is overly long and rambling.

I'm only half way through but as far as I can tell, the only connection is that Alexandra Chalupa did a ton of independent research on Manafort and had some meetings with both the Qcampaign and the Ukrainian embassy and may have exchanged information with both parties but never as a direct representative of either.

I've probably read too many spy novels but former KGB agent and Russian oil exec Oleg Erovinkin died of a heart attack end of December.

http://stocknewsusa.com/2016/12/29/...eg-erovinkin-found-dead-backseat-black-lexus/

Besides that:

I wonder if some of those guys were Chris Steele informants. The NATO guy is interesting. Schindler said something about NATO intel finding financial ties between Trump and Russia.

Just fooling around I guess

It's a stretch of the highest caliber, but with everything that has happened it doesn't seem Completely impossible.

blackw0lf

Smart analysis of the Flynn-Russian Ambassador conversation, and whether that violated any norms or laws, over at Slate

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ns_is_this_normal.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_top

Bottom line
Meetings between the president-elect’s team and foreign officials are Normal. Negotiations that undermine a sitting president’s foreign policy are not unprecedented, but remain highly controversial and Not Normal.

So what Flynn did was not without precedent, but it's highly controversial, for good reason.

As for breaking the law, Tom Cotton possibly violated the Logan Act when he and other Senators wrote to Iran to scuttle the Iran deal. And nothing happened to him. So probably same here.

Hey all, I'm a Canadian guy that's not totally up to speed on American political structure. Can somebody explain to me the significance of this? Does the Senate have complete independence from Trump and will certainly operate for the best interest of the people? I'm just curious how big a deal this news is.

Nafai1123

Banned
Hey all, I'm a Canadian guy that's not totally up to speed on American political structure. Can somebody explain to me the significance of this? Does the Senate have complete independence from Trump and will certainly operate for the best interest of the people? I'm just curious how big a deal this news is.

Yeah the Senate is independent so nothing Trump can do to stop this. Whether they will operate with the best interest of the people is a mystery. 8 GOP and 7 Dems on the committee.

Yeah the Senate is independent so nothing Trump can do to stop this. Whether they will operate with the best interest of the people is a mystery. 8 GOP and 7 Dems on the committee.

Ok, thanks for the info! I assumed all this but wanted to check with those who know more about how this works. To an outsider, this announcement of investigation sounds gravely serious.

chadskin

Michael Flynn, President-elect Donald Trump's choice for national security adviser, held five phone calls with Russia's ambassador to Washington on the day the United States retaliated for Moscow's interference in the U.S. presidential election, three sources familiar with the matter said.

The calls occurred between the time the Russian embassy was told about U.S. sanctions and the announcement by Russian President Vladimir Putin that he had decided against reprisals, said the sources. They spoke on condition of anonymity, citing internal U.S. government deliberations about the issue.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKBN14X1YX

The plot thickens.

Specifically, its:

GOP:
Richard Burr, North Carolina, Chairman
Jim Risch, Idaho
Marco Rubio, Florida
Susan Collins, Maine
Roy Blunt, Missouri
James Lankford, Oklahoma
Tom Cotton, Arkansas
John Cornyn, Texas

Dems:

Mark Warner, Virginia, Vice Chairman
Dianne Feinstein, California
Ron Wyden, Oregon
Martin Heinrich, New Mexico
Angus King, Maine (Independent, caucuses with Democrats)
Joe Manchin, West Virginia
Kamala Harris, California

Collins is a more moderate Republican (most moderate of the bunch, actually) and should be the "swing vote" on the panel. Cotton is a nutcase, but he may hate Russia enough that he's willing to keep an open mind a bit. Rubio will do whatever he thinks is best for his political future. The rest of the Republicans will probably try to do what they can to make sure Trump and Co. stay clean but there could be surprises and they'll all turn on him if there's irrefutable evidence to do so (and save themselves in the process).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom