• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans overwhelmingly disapprove of Cruz not endorsing Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS that look on Cruz's face is the look you get when you constantly hammer an opponent on "taking an oath to support the eventual nominee, look, WE all signed it!" and then when he wins you realize you've signed your own political death warrant.
The pledge was Reince Priebus' idea, Cruz had nothing to do with it except signing it as a condition to get into the debates. He certainly wasn't on friendly terms with the RNC at any point himself.

Considering how many disqualifying things Trump has said since that pledge was signed by the candidates almost a year ago, I don't know why anyone would care about it.

Tom_Cody

Eh, Trump supporters obviously wouldn't like it and Republicans who hate Trump but are supporting him anyway resent Cruz for taking the moral high ground.

If Trump loses by a landslide, Cruz will happily brag that he opposed Trump even more ardently than the anti-Trump Republicans who simply didn't attend the convention.

It was a smart play by Cruz. When Trump gets trounced in the GE he will be one of the few that can say he distanced himself from it. Trump is going to take Christie and co. down with him. In 4 years those same Trump supporters will change their tune when Cruz is nominated for President.

jay

I'm tired of trying to figure out what assholes think about other assholes and the moral standing of each asshole.

I'm going to guess that the current election cycle and short-term approval ratings were not Cruz's primary concerns when he made this decision.

It could still prove to be a miscalculation when he's up for reelection in two years, of course.

zelas

Trump can conveniently change his mind on several topics but this guy cant change his mind once to defend his flesh and blood? Lol.

El Topo

It was a smart play by Cruz. When Trump gets trounced in the GE he will be one of the few that can say he distanced himself from it. Trump is going to take Christie and co. down with him. In 4 years those same Trump supporters will change their tune when Cruz is nominated for President.

Cruz isn't going to get nominated. Not this time, not in four years.

Isn't Cruz the one who started that whole mess with the picture of Melania?
That was Trump's lie. Just goes to show how well Trump's lies work when so many people even on GAF are fooled.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-trump-has-no-evidence-ted-cruz-was-responsi/

And all the evidence we found points to the ad being the work of a political action committee whose goal has been to block Trump's nomination. There’s no proof of Cruz working with that committee, which would be illegal.

We rate Trump's claim as False.​

Torokil

He ended his career.

The election will be a close Hillary win (like 3 points) and he'll be the republican Nader.

Good riddance slime monster.

I think that while a lot of people don't agree with his very conservative views, it is respectable that he is willing to stand by them even when it is not popular with his own party.
As far as 2020, I honestly just don't think the republican party will ever pick someone as conservative as a Cruz, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him run again.

Keasar

Man... remember when we were sure Republicans would never fall in line behind Trump?

I remember people saying that.

For me it was obvious, the Republicans had finally found their racist, bigoted, sexist, intellectual hating, two time wife divorcing soulmate. He perfectly embodies them. Of course they wanna stand behind him.

MJPIA

I wish that poll had democrat approval ratings of Cruz.
I mean I've always detested Cruz especially after his "net neutrality is Obamacare for the internet" tweet but I like that he took a stand and told people to vote their conscience.
Especially since all those on the right interprets voting ones conscience as voting against Trump.

The thing is as well, everyone knew what he was going to say, the speech was submitted. They let him go out there and commit career suicide, everyone was booing him, Texas delegation included.

Shocking judgement of the situation, he must have thought he'd get mad kudos for being "principled" or something. Should have forseen that was a bad idea when the #NeverTrump stuff got trashcanned.

Malvolio

Cruz, as usual, is in it for himself. Joining Trump's ranks at this point puts him near the bottom. Better to be at the top of the "fuck Trump" party and claim the throne when Trump forces the repubs to crash and burn. It's the safest play and the only one that keeps him in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom