• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans prepared to fund Donald's wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

Yes I am aware there is a wall in certain parts of the Mexican border as I've been to Mexico many times. Myself and anyone else who knows anything about borders knows that its completely ineffective at keeping out people who want to cross illegally.

Don't bother replying to the usual diversion tactics. It's just going to derail the thread into whataboutisms.

You have lots to learn about the ways of the Republican Party.

Trust me, I know of the GOP fine enough, but I thought they would at least push back on something like the Wall for a variety of reasons. I guess they really just have sunk to the level of pure evilness now.

Toxi

Banned
Trump is not going to "build a wall", he's going to extend and fortify an existing wall that has bipartisan support.]
Sec. 2. Policy. It is the policy of the executive branch to:

(a) secure the southern border of the United States through the immediate construction of a physical wall on the southern border, monitored and supported by adequate personnel so as to prevent illegal immigration, drug and human trafficking, and acts of terrorism;

(b) "Southern border" shall mean the contiguous land border between the United States and Mexico, including all points of entry.
Trump is going to build a wall.

Somnid

It's pretty amazing how quickly Republicans fall in line.

This is why calls for party unity on the other side are misplaced. People should be given the opportunity and have the courage to fragment where there are differences and come together where there are commonalities, not just take terrible orders from the top.

Keasar

"Oh sure dearie, I can see if I have a few pennies to help you...."
31915918-grandma-is-counting-small-change.jpg

"YOU WANT HOW MUCH!?"

Yes I am aware there is a wall in certain parts of the Mexican border as I've been to Mexico many times. Myself and anyone else who knows anything about borders knows that its completely ineffective at keeping out people who want to cross illegally.

And whatever Trump does will also not be effective. As others have already said, half of undocumented immigrants in the US just overstay their visas.

The reason people are so infuriated by Trump's wall (myself included) is the symbolic horror of walls in history. The Berlin wall, the Isaeli wall with Gaza. The progressive thrust of history is toward internationalism and free movement of peoples. Border walls are misanthropic.

What I'm trying to get at is that the US is already well down this dark path. It's a mistake to look at Trump as an abrupt break in history. As if he's single-handedly responsible for turning the US into an authoritarian, borderline fascist state.

Ominym

Banned
Won't illegals just go under the wall? Isn't that where most are coming in anyway?

That's the thing about the wall, it's the perfect example of people not actually thinking through a problem. If you're dumb enough to believe that the solution is simply building a physical barrier you'll believe anything.

Jisgsaw

"If we're going to be spending on things like infrastructure, we're going to find the fiscal space to pay for that" in a budget Congress plans to write this spring, Ryan said.

He considers a physical wall that will accomplish nothing as a necessary infrastructure?

well since it's not going to be overturned because our government is a total fucking joke, on the very dim yet bright side-at least we can point to how fucking stupid the people of this country are to want something like this once it's completed and (if we're still here in one piece)

but who am I kidding-they'll probably blame democrats or some stupid shit

There's a city in Michigan with water pipes bringing lead and other toxic sediment to people's homes.

But we're going to fast-lane billions to build a fucking border wall.

Trust me, I know of the GOP fine enough, but I thought they would at least push back on something like the Wall for a variety of reasons. I guess they really just have sunk to the level of pure evilness now.

It isn't about being evil, is about don't fall from the trajectory Trump is taking the GOP because it is his party now. Remember the entire GOP was in favor of TPP and yet Trump killed in his first week in office. My guess is that some things that Trump promised to do that were against the logical agenda of the GOP will be either pushed in silence or be abandoned all together.

2 big promises that Trump made are antagonistic with the GOP ideology, depending on how things go with those 2 promises (infrastructure and no cuts for medicaid and medicare) we will know if the GOP will face Trump or will just play his tune, but seeing how TPP died in silence I would say that the GOP will do whatever Trumps want to do (and who knows if Trumps will actually fulfill his campaign promises) .

Euron

Ok Paul Ryan, so funding for Hurricane Sandy is too much government intervention but building a wall is fine?

Oh and an entire city in Michigan is still without drinkable water

"FISCAL CONSERVATISM"

King Kye

Banned
You assumed Paul Ryan had scruples.

He doesn't.

It's not even about morals. It just doesn't make any sense on any level. It does nothing for security and it's stupid fiscally. It's just an all around asinine idea. The only benefit I see is appeasing that rotten, radical, but so tiny vocal core, for political brownie points. But I don't see how that's worth 15 billion tax payer's dollars. It's not only bad governance but it's bad politics.

Your guy's already in office.

Still not buying this until I see the actual construction start.

Two Words

THIs thing is going to cost way more than $15 billion. The materials and manhours to build it will be ridiculous. Plus there will be continual maintenance costs. You can bet plenty of people will be destroying this wall for as long as it is up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would guess that Republicans are still playing along in case this Trump shitshow somehow works itself out and he allows them to hold on to power, rather than becoming too dangerous to be associated with.

At this point part of me wishes they would do it. Waste the money, and build a literal, xenophobia-empowering giant black wall from sea to shining fucking sea. Put towers and fucking gun turrets on it. Patrol the fucker with thugs they hire and attack dogs.

Just to A: properly shame America in history and b: give future generations something physical, material, to tear down and spit on and understand that these fascist, neo-nazi collaborators were real.

Costa Kid

Am I correct in saying they are against funding for healthcare and third level education but want to fund this pointless wall? Lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
I think we need to have a massive strike in this country and flat out not pay taxes anymore.

Yeah with the way things are going, I really don't think we're gonna make it to 2018 trying to win within the system. GOP is trying to fuck over all of us and they're joining their orange tumor in fascism. O yeah and the environment will be permanently fucked, generations of kids won't have a education. And I'm too tired thinking of what other horrid shit they're going to do. This is fine.

If they only take taxes collected from republicunts that voted for this mess, sure buy whatever you want. You don't have a mandate, you lost the popular election.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've never understood why everyone hates the wall tbh. One things for sure, a more secure border would help slow the Opiate problem we have here.

Hale-XF11

It's like they need each other to survive. Whatever it takes, they will fuck America straight up its ass and well into oblivion, all for the power and the money. That's the American way.

RM8

I've never understood why everyone hates the wall tbh. One things for sure, a more secure border would help slow the Opiate problem we have here.
As a Mexican, the only thing I oppose is bullying a poor country into paying for a massively expensive chunk of concrete that will -not- solve anything. If it's with your own money, you can build a wall on top of the one currently planned, I don't care.

No, for that you'd need to target big Pharma...they've made TONS of opiates for prescription purposes and doctors seem to be more than willing to over-prescribe them. The "opiate" epidemic you read about is typically referring to prescription narcotics.

Zips

Lol? The hell is a shitty wall (or fence) going to do? You think cartels will have trouble with that?

Blow it up/tear it down if they get to the point of trying to actually build it.

Somnid

Because it's a stupid wall that solves nothing (just throw the damn drugs over the wall), and because it's going to cost an ungodly amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom