• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans vote to move ahead on Obamacare repeal

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Correct me if I am wrong, but even Democrats want to change some things about the ACA, don't they? Todays vote really was just about that, continue talking about changes. It isn't any more likely to repeal ACA now than it was yesterday, GOP simply doesn't have the numbers. Some in the senate want to get rid of it, some want to fix it. They can't get those two sides to vote yes on the same thing - except to vote to continue talking. Nothing was lost today.

I partially blame Obama here for not curtailing the BS about Obamacare when it began. I think it was a liberal strategy that Obamacare could survive while ignoring all the grass-roots negative press Republicans kept giving it.

Welp, let it be destroyed then and let the mayhem ensue. In time for a Dem president to attempt to pick up the pieces.

I admit that I am sitting in the middle of this. I am of the group that makes just enough to not benefit really from the ACA anymore. For my wife and son with their silver ppo plan I pay about 611 dollars a month. If I were to add myself, I would have to pay around 800 dollars. I was even told by a covered california representative that I was not really getting any savings and was basically paying the same rate had I gone directly the health care provider.

So my problem now is looking for a better alternative(note even through my employers kaiser plan is around the same price). If these bozos can at least do something better that can give me the same benefits but for a cheaper price, i'm in.

But it's the republicans, it will get worse.

NandoGip

I admit that I am sitting in the middle of this. I am of the group that makes just enough to not benefit really from the ACA anymore. For my wife and son with their silver ppo plan I pay about 611 dollars a month. If I were to add myself, I would have to pay around 800 dollars. I was even told by a covered california representative that I was not really getting any savings and was basically paying the same rate had I gone directly the health care provider.

So my problem now is looking for a better alternative(note even through my employers kaiser plan is around the same price). If these bozos can at least do something better that can give me the same benefits but for a cheaper price, i'm in.

Yeah you pretty much called it. Republicans don't believe healthcare is a right. They aren't pushing for better prices, they're pushing for less regulation.

ApharmdX

Banned
But hey guyz Mccain is a war hero!

I can remember when I actually had a measure of respect for the man. That's long since turned to disgust.

My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.

Obamacare has flaws, you won't find many people, Obama included, who will deny that. The solution to those flaws is not to axe it in order to give the rich and a segment of corporations a tax break. These kinds of posts are so bizarre to me. Their plan will result in millions fewer Americans being insured, and thousands of deaths. That doesn't generate any kind of blip on your moral radar?

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer, entered the chamber to a standing ovation and cast the 50th Republican vote. GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkows

Man, good thing we had all the ivory towers in the other thread making sure we all gave this hero the respect he deserves

alternade

McCain is a piece of shit. Fuck him for life. You just had LIFE SAVING surgery and you vote to take that availability away from MILLIONS of people.

I really wonder if these people use medical files of dying kids like Playboys to get their rocks off.

I partially blame Obama here for not curtailing the BS about Obamacare when it began. I think it was a liberal strategy that Obamacare could survive while ignoring all the grass-roots negative press Republicans kept giving it.

Welp, let it be destroyed then and let the mayhem ensue. In time for a Dem president to attempt to pick up the pieces.
Yes, Trump is president and GOP has both chambers of Congress. But let's partially blame Obama for not talking to people that think he's a Muslim devil and everything he says is a lie.

And let's blame him for GOP politicians not giving a shit and trying to force healthcare plans with sub 20% approval ratings while the vast majority of Americans want to see ACA stay on while improving it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
from a euro perspective

this is maddening to read. because it's shit obvious that

1. Obama pushed something landmark and historic through a fuck load of resistance
2. it's not perfect
3. obviously it needs to be fixed and improved

but no. Americas solution is 'burn it all down' because yeah, go red team.
USA has a ludicrous history of wild profiteering off sick people.... maybe curtail that? Or wait for it... shock horror... literally take advice from absolutely any other first world country in the whole world? MAYBE one of them learned something about healthcare, since we all have it more or less working.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even Democrats want to change some things about the ACA, don't they? Todays vote really was just about that, continue talking about changes. It isn't any more likely to repeal ACA now than it was yesterday, GOP simply doesn't have the numbers. Some in the senate want to get rid of it, some want to fix it. They can't get those two sides to vote yes on the same thing - except to vote to continue talking. Nothing was lost today.

This is debating the version of the bill that passed the House. Hence why zero Dems voted yes today. The things they want to fix about ACA don't involve gutting Medicaid expansion or removing the individual mandate (which is how the whole thing works in the first place).

cromofo

How does the most powerful nation on Earth have such a shitstorm for healthcare?

The procedure I went through which could be even considered mostly cosmetic cost me 0$ while the same procedure is quoted at around $40-50k in the US.

What the fuck, how can you even live with knowing you're fucked if you get ill/injured?

You forgot that what immediately preceded those eras was death and famine. It was a response to "holy shit, hundreds of thousands of people are dying left and right, we gotta do something".

We have not reached the death era yet, there is no rebound without that era to act as the catalyst.

Yep, the end of the gilded age and the beginning of the progressive era was preceeded by two world wars.

And I'm less and less confident everyday that we will avoid going down that path again. The US will likely be the aggressors as well. I just hope I can protect as many people as possible when the reckoning happens.

Kisaya

I-Don't-Want-To-Hear-Another-Fucking-Word-About-John-McCain-Unless-He-Dies.JPG

Fuck anyone who has respect for him and the GOP.

ISOM

I-Don't-Want-To-Hear-Another-Fucking-Word-About-John-McCain-Unless-He-Dies.JPG

Fuck anyone who has respect for him and the GOP.

Seriously. I stayed out of that cancer thread because I had nothing but bad things to say about him. I don't have empathy for a horrible person and I'm not gonna fake it out of being nice.

Foffy

Banned
How does the most powerful nation on Earth have such a shitstorm for healthcare?

The procedure I went through which could be even considered mostly cosmetic cost me 0$ while the same procedure is quoted at around $40-50k in the US.

What the fuck, how can you even live with knowing you're fucked if you get ill/injured?

American ideals of isolationism proposed by neoliberal thinking, typically dawned in and now normalized under vile creatures like Ronald Reagan is how we got here.

Man is an isolated bubble is both the religious and social narratives in this country, and both are shams. Norms, yet shams.

Except this was one of the worst possible outcomes. This debate is bad because we don't know what's being passed through without a thorough hearing, bipartisan report, CBO score, etc. There's a lot of shady shit that happens in the floor debate.

Lebron

Decades of successful brainwashing. You'll hear plenty moan and complain about their health costs, but they will always vote for the group that will go out of their way to maintain those high costs.

Also, fuck minorities. That's also key.

I don't know what was with the people pearl clutching over the outrage last night because we "didn't know how McCain was going to vote". Why would a cancer patient risk their lives just to give a no vote? The dude was set in his line-towing.

As a non-American I'll admit it sounds like something out of a dystopian book to me. What happens if you happen to break a bone? What if you get appendicitis, or kidney stones, or a stomach flu? Do women not see a gynaecologist every few months? Do older men not have their prostate checked? What about dentist visits? Do y'all really just have to sit and pray to God that nothing in your body ever malfunctions?

My mom is a lifelong Republican voter. My whole life she's told me about how the healthcare systems in other countries are broken beyond repair. How we should be so thankful that we have access to the best care in the world, because people overseas are dying in the streets because can't see a doctor. That waiting rooms are full of people with ice cream headaches and splinters so it would take months to get seen for a life saving operation.

These are all things the average Republican voter believes about healthcare outside of the US.

NandoGip

As a non-American I'll admit it sounds like something out of a dystopian book to me. What happens if you happen to break a bone? What if you get appendicitis, or kidney stones, or a stomach flu? Do women not see a gynaecologist every few months? Do older men not have their prostate checked? What about dentist visits? Do y'all really just have to sit and pray to God that nothing in your body ever malfunctions?

Options:

1) MASSIVE bill unless you can afford good insurance (most can not, especially if you have a family)

2) Die

My mom is a lifelong Republican voter. My whole life she's told me about how the healthcare systems in other countries are broken beyond repair. How we should be so thankful that we have access to the best care in the world, because people overseas are dying in the streets because can't see a doctor. That waiting rooms are full of people with ice cream headaches and splinters so it would take months to get seen for a life saving operation.

These are all things the average Republican voter believes about healthcare outside of the US.

Most of these people have never left the country. They have no damn clue what healthcare is like outside of the US.

I always knew that the American healthcare system is one of the most corrupt systems in the world, but still this information blew me away. You pay over 600(!) dollars for health insurance every month? That is absolutely insane.

I know the hospitals charge massive amounts if you get sick, but why do people allow them to get away with it? It's not like those prices are in anyway related to the actual costs of the treatment.

EDIT: quick Google search gave an estimate for ACL surgery in the U.S. without insurance anywhere from 20k to 50k. Unbelievable if that's true. Even if you go to a private hospital here and don't have any insurance it's like 5k. Highway robbery.

djkimothy

I'm sorry to say but your mom is pants on head crazy.

I can sit here and come up with a sarcastic thing to say but it won't lead to her improving her world view. Hopefully she comes through...

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.

LOL, what?

That makes absolutely no sense.

Options:

1) MASSIVE bill unless you can afford good insurance (most can not, especially if you have a family)

2) Die

That's just crazy to me. I mean, millions of things can happen outside our control that require medical care. Like, growing up I saw kids breaking their bones or getting sprained ankles all the time and they just went to the doctor without a second thought, and their parents didn't have to worry about having to pay any bills. It's insane that this happens in any developed country, especially the US.

Tell her that she's been lied to and that your future depends on people like her wising up to the truth.

I'm sorry to say but your mom is pants on head crazy.

I can sit here and come up with a sarcastic thing to say but it won't lead to her improving her world view. Hopefully she comes through...

You're not wrong, but the point is that she's hardly atypical. This is the line of thinking that's been shouted from the rooftops of conservative radio and Fox news for years.

Blackage

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer, entered the chamber to a standing ovation and cast the 50th Republican vote. GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska broke ranks to oppose the measure, forcing Vice President Mike Pence to break a 50-50 tie.

What a hero

That's just crazy to me. I mean, millions of things can happen outside our control that require medical care. Like, growing up I saw kids breaking their bones or getting sprained ankles all the time and they just went to the doctor without a second thought, and their parents didn't have to worry about having to pay any bills. It's insane that this happens in any developed country, especially the US.

The US is a very "fuck you, got mine" country. Also has a massive hatred of taxes, even though many people paying for a thing is generally cheaper than one person or family paying for a thing. And we also hate minorities. So a lot of people don't want competent services going to people that the see as inferior or "lazy."

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Here's a novel concept for healthcare that would be entirely too kind and just to do:

Don't approve a plan unless all the analysis has the words "___ million Americans will gain coverage" and don't approve any plan that has the words "lose coverage" in it.

Sorry for asking too much!

US healthcare wasn't too much of a burden to most Americans a couple decades ago. Depending on her age she might have experienced one of the best healthcare per dollar for a significant amount of her life. Try to get her to watch Sicko.

Pbae

Well, I guess the silver lining is that more people will realize how much a of hypocritical piece of dog shit he is.

Utterly bonkers since he had nothing to lose.

Mahonay

Banned
Here's a novel concept for healthcare that would be entirely too kind and just to do:

Don't approve a plan unless all the analysis has the words "___ million Americans will gain coverage" and don't approve any plan that has the words "lose coverage" in it.

Sorry for asking too much!
There are Republicans in office who think there is TOO MUCH coverage in the plans that would cost tens of million of Americans to lose their health insurance.

So, maybe if we ban Republicans from being involved in healthcare.

John Mcain same fucking smuck he was when campaigning against obama sucking on that teet of republican ideaology then grand stand against it after the fact. He's as much a maverick as a wet paper bag.

Top Bottom