• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ymir

Well I finally agree with resetera, they do have a problem. Never thought we’d agree with each other but here we are.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
brave feminist would have taken a stand but HE WAS BEING PAID? lol great excuse

Wwlpf4T.png

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Stop liking what I hate. Why isn't everyone as outraged as I am!

Life must be exhausting for these people. At some point you have to make peace with the fact that there are millions of other people out there that are never gonna agree with you on certain things and whose priorities are always going to differ. Yep, most people don't care enough about esoteric trans issues to alter their purchasing habits. And you're certainly not going to get anyone to care if they don't already on a forum where even an innocent question will instantly find a user banned for 'concern trolling' or 'dismissing concerns.'

Patriots7

This shit again? How many people have already been subsequently and dubiously banned for perceived infractions since the last great TransERA revolt?

Just make it a Trans only forum already for fuck's sake.
That revolt was crazy in all of the demands that they got. Multiple permabans overturned, lowering the standard of what will get someone banned, getting a black LGBT moderator de-modded.

That thread highlights a problem of apathy and cites a poll of ~50% saying they will buy a Harry Potter RPG regardless of JKR's comments as proof. Which boggles my mind. Compartmentalizing an author's comments and a videogame is not acceptable behavior? Fans of HP should not look forward to a game and vote that their interest hasn't been diminished?

Those threads are just landmines and in fairness, I don't know why people continue risking their accounts to partake in a discussion if their opinion is not in-line with the majority.

SkylineRKR

I feel this ship is sinking.

A minority on Era??

I'm absolutely not joking, but I had the feeling trans are the majority users there. Especially lately. I don't think I've seen a born chick post something there almost ever. I, as a white male, felt like a minority there. Hell, as a bonus i'm straight. And way to be ignorant, they're the ones responsible for the lot of toxicity running rampant there. Sure,, act like the victim.

But from their twisted view it makes sense. After all, if you reply with 'I would wait for evidence first', you're instantly transphobe. So yeah, the world is full of them.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
They are going after the gaming forum on Era via that “era and transphobia” thread on the off topic.

Blow back from the threads yesterday and the natural progression of that site, won’t be shocked to see it closed and era just be an outrage forum.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And gone

Sigh. "Advocating for portrayals of transphobic abuse in-game". That post was perfectly reasonable. It didn't "advocate" for anything, it simply tried to explain that GTA is a game about shitty people with shitty opinions who do shitty things. Which is something various kinds of media portray in different ways constantly. There is just no sensible world in which that should be a bannable offense.

But that's the thing. You don't have to actually say anything offensive to get banned over there, it's enough that you don't agree hard enough with the official Era stance on the matter at hand. Fall in line or you're out.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It has been a long time since I finished GTA 5. What was supposed to be transphobic about it? A joke on one of those radio stations?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
26 trans people are killed a year in the US. 26. According to Google there are 328.8 million people in the US. Over 250k abortions are performed per year.

it’s such a tiny number. that many people must die from getting struck by lightning right? Actually there are an average 43 deaths by lightning strikes per year. That’s almost twice the amount.

it is so odd that hey are so laser focused on this issue. It is all consuming. Certainly we should try to save people from dying but there are literally hundreds of people that we should prioritize.

Imo Inclusivity politics have prioritised trans because it actually is a way for the white male ally to be a member of the oppressed. He can be a woman. He can be queer. Suddenly his white guilt is eased, he has moved up, he is oppressed too, he can even claim to be oppressed by black people now! And women! Shut the fuck up you bigoted bitch!

Really modern Intersectional Feminism has been the ultimate power play for the white male to regain control and centrality. They are obsessed with the martyr of the black trans because as the persona with the most number of oppressed characteristics it provides the ultimate argument for why a white man can call black people and women the most horrible stuff and still think they are progressive. If you don’t support the white trans ally you don’t support the black trans Jesus and you will not be saved.

The dead black trans woman is the Jesus of the Idpol cult. They chose the most potent and oppressed symbol for a reason. She excuses all these white men in dresses who want to act like bigots but still pretend they are progressive.

Last edited:

Ymir

And gone

I just love how so much of this is years ago with super popular things that were in the public sphere for forever. Where were these social justice heroes then? It's been almost a decade since this game came out, it was one of the most popular games of that generation and was so popular it was ported yet again and sold well yet again for the current generation that is essentially at it's end.

All that time and not once did this offend them? Not once these brave warriors of justice could find their voice to speak about these injustices?

Same thing like shows like community, 30 rock, these aren't things that aired 6 months ago, these were all super popular media that has been in the public space for years and years.

Grand theft Auto V was a massively popular game but somehow no one knew they had no idea transpeople were portrayed in it until now?

Edit: Forbes estimated this year that it sold over 120mm copies. 120mm copies and no one knew about this until this pandering engadget article?

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member

And we’re off again.
Banshee McSpook? Dear Christ don't be Irish. We have suffered enough. I don't know if it's the shocking Slayven scale gramatical and spelling errors or the lack of logic in the piece.

I apologise Slayven. Your spelling isn't as bad as this. I'm serious. It's like a butt dialled text with less logic.

Ymir

Banshee McSpook? Dear Christ don't be Irish. We have suffered enough. I don't know if it's the shocking Slayven scale gramatical and spelling errors or the lack of logic in the piece.

I apologise Slayven. Your spelling isn't as bad as this. I'm serious. It's like a butt dialled text with less logic.
McSpook? You're allowed to have racial slurs in your username now? Are they the new stormfront?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

And we’re off again.

They're basically Tumblr now. Even old GAF used to reference Tumblr as where all the crazies hang out but ERA has finally embraced that insanity.

benjipwns

Banned

And we’re off again.
they've stickied this on top of the gaming forum lol

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I want to discuss this and say that I am appalled and upset at the lack of regard for the minority communities on era and that we need to do better as a community.

Is this guy joking? I could get my troll account permanently banned right now, within ten minutes, by making a joke that could even be somewhat contorted into a transphobic joke.

Ymir

It's funny because mods always get pissy about how forum whining is banned but now this is apparently gaming news.

Also I love the usual suspects being "too tired" yet again to explain anything they mean.

Soliloquy of a Dogge said:
OP, feel free to create more threads because I agree with everything you've said in both.

I'm too tired and exhausted emotionally to add much but people who are accustomed to privilege and are comfortable with their experiences at the expense of others need to do some self reflection, start listening and make an attempt to confront their own bigoted biases that lead them to reductionist reasoning and downplaying the legitimate and very real concerns of marginalized communities.

This board is predominantly cisgender heteronormative white males which, obviously, is the primary demographic that the gaming industry has always catered to and leads to a lot of the dismissal and handwaving away of intolerance unfortunately. The implicit reaction from a lot of them is to jump to the defense of individuals and entities when they are called out or boycotts are advocated because as long as they are entertained, that is the matter that takes most precedence. It's frustrating, wrong, unsurprising and typical of the privilege they benefit from in every aspect of life.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's funny because mods always get pissy about how forum whining is banned but now this is apparently gaming news.

Also I love the usual suspects being "too tired" yet again to explain anything they mean.

Holy shit if that’s tired then I’d hate to see how long their posts are when they’re well rested.

nush

The forums biggest racist steps in with her fan fiction. In a topic about racism.

bWVIneo.png

She obviously wasn't bullied or a gamer in school, we all know gender and identity politics were the top issues as gamer kids right? Suprised she took time to notice what was going on around her with the constant barrage of schoolyard racism she suffered.

Zato

Banned

they had too, it would have disappeared off the first page very quickly .... the amounts of replies was tiny, especially compared to views.

It was done to save their blushes, most on the gaming side don’t want to touch that thread, it’s ban bait (and just boring as fuck).

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
The forums biggest racist steps in with her fan fiction. In a topic about racism.

bWVIneo.png

She obviously wasn't bullied or a gamer in school, we all know gender and identity politics were the top issues as gamer kids right? Suprised she took time to notice what was going on around her with the constant barrage of schoolyard racism she suffered.

self righteous, self important bore that one.

best classified as a black supremacist with the racist views towards others it spews.

Ionian

bWVIneo.png

Jesus Christ, she's really going for broke now.

As in broke-brained. They're running out of things to complain about but making shit up is just as good.

When in doubt, just make shit up! :D

EDIT: she obviously wasn't bullied as nobody could see her, time for her to grow up.

Last edited:

Ymir

bWVIneo.png

I think you snipped out the even better point that #2 brought up:

Nepenthe said:
2.) Gaming is extremely capitalist in nature, and capitalism is amoral at best and hostile at worst to the needs of minorities.

Gaming (Capitalism) is amoral at best and hostile to minorities at worst. This is the person who is an admin of the "largest video game message board in the world".

Also the clear solution to all these problems is just for mods to delete every post they don't agree with:

Nida said:
"Got mine" is a pervasive attitude, unfortunately.

I know Era doesn't like to delete posts or threads, but maybe they should start with posts that are purely written to dismiss the plight of minorities?

If I can't see it then it doesn't exist

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
wow apparently Resetera fails at being progressive maybe if they take out the gaming side it can past the test
Gaming side is only a vestigial organ of the forum's goals anyway:
Nepenthe said:
ERA's goals to instead create a safe space for minorities to be heard, listened to, and welcomed, and for minority sociopolitical issues to be discussed in detail in gaming culture and beyond

Gaming has always been for white dudes? Someone call Japan

Classic considering Sony apparently "won" all its generations of console gaming but it's totally run by white dudes with a capitalist agenda. Nintendo is also full of white dudes making bank for uncle Sam to oppress minorities.

What a fucking moron with a hateful agenda.

EDIT: she's obviously young and ignorant with a very USA centric education and approach to life with limited cultural exposure of say living abroad for parts of your life. She would do well to educate herself about Ralph Baer "The Father of Video Games", literally a Jewish minority born engineer that fled his home country of Germany and helped the USA war effort all those decades ago that we enjoy the freedoms of even today and while playing videos games derived from his inventions and patents. He'd be disgusted with her posts that are factually so far off base in so many ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom