• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmimmfn

i feel a bit in between the forums. Here skews a lot more right wing than I like, but era is just quite extreme at this point. I got banned for saying Lindsay Ellis making a joke at Ricky Gervais wasn’t transphobic but clearly I was incorrect as here we are.

reading the drama I see the same issue that trans and non binary communities have everywhere in western countries- they are the same white boys clubs (or girls) that they claim to hate. A gay black mod made a comment about asexuals 2 years ago and is made to stand down.They ignore any black or Asian voices within their community. For how enlightened they are they only know what it’s like to be gay,trans, non binary in their little circles usually living in nice areas or cities. They couldn’t give a shit about a gay person from a black community who probably has seen a lot more shit than them in their life.

but being racist doesn’t get you a probation or ban on era. Only being anti trans does.
You're very welcome here mate, at least you can post normal stuff here without fear of getting banned.
I lean more left and there are loads of us lefties here.
Make yourself right at home and great to have you!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was like that for a while, too, posting on both forums (more on Era due to activity and a few community threads), but honestly, I'd much rather be at place that doesn't ban people for not tiptoeing a constantly evolving line. There was a pretty hard turn towards extremism sometime in late 2018, and 2019 at Era has been pretty insufferable, with this recent event being quite the culmination, I would say.

I agree that there is a lot of right-wing and conservative representation on GAF right now, but that's only because most of us more liberal people stopped posting. Gotta be the change you want to see, I suppose.

For me, being able to actually discuss things on a discussion forum is pretty important, it turns out.

That isn't quite true. Most liberal folks like us just don't give a shit about talking politics on a forum primarily dedicated to games. The data doesn't lie, it is there for all to see in threads like the political compass. I would agree that the politics forum is more right-leaning, but that is due to (again) most liberal folks around here not giving a damn about the politics and simply want to talk about the new games we are enjoying.

Last edited:
i feel a bit in between the forums. Here skews a lot more right wing than I like, but era is just quite extreme at this point. I got banned for saying Lindsay Ellis making a joke at Ricky Gervais wasn’t transphobic but clearly I was incorrect as here we are.

reading the drama I see the same issue that trans and non binary communities have everywhere in western countries- they are the same white boys clubs (or girls) that they claim to hate. A gay black mod made a comment about asexuals 2 years ago and is made to stand down.They ignore any black or Asian voices within their community. For how enlightened they are they only know what it’s like to be gay,trans, non binary in their little circles usually living in nice areas or cities. They couldn’t give a shit about a gay person from a black community who probably has seen a lot more shit than them in their life.

but being racist doesn’t get you a probation or ban on era. Only being anti trans does.
IDK. I think most here are left of center. Obviously not far left. But 90% of everyone here doesn't visit Political subforum.

We bust balls here with each other. But I don't see hate here.

I know we have a mix of all kinds here. Members of different skin color, genders, LGBTQ, different religious backgrounds. But none of that stuff is a factor here imo. As in a members identity is known based on their posts and us reading them, not by some kind of special victim status. People will like other's posts here based on what the post is, the content of it. Not what they identify as.

We disagree in threads about gaming (not Stadia lol), guns, Marvel and Star Wars. Then we all come together in friendship in Stadia threads or the Butt Thread.

You will definitely see things you don't like here, but I don't think you will see hatefulness. And we have access to great forum tools and a fantastic Staff.

Just my opinion.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
We tend to lean toward individualism and liberty on the political compass more than left or right. Either way, welcome back. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Yup. Most of us skew towards common sense and intelligence. Judge everything on a case by case basis on the available data.

Being blindly left or blindly right is blindly fucking stupid, quite frankly. All it does is display someone’s inability to use their brain correctly.

EDIT:

Then we all come together in friendship in Stadia threads or the Butt Thread.
There’s been a butt war raging in the Butt thread since nineteen-dickety-two. It’s been brutal.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't follow the storylne, but a Reee guy named Brock seemed loved by all and was permabanned, but they changed it to a 7 day ban which is retroactively served, so he'll be back in a day or two.

Looks like the mods caved in with this guy's ban too.

Last edited:

You got that bolded part backwards. Quite clearly you were correct, so here you are. I doubt anybody here thought she was mocking trans people, savoring the schadenfreude of the circular woke fireing squad perhaps, but nobody thought she was being 'transphobic'.

Drop on by the politics board, I promise we won't bite, I also promise you won't get banned for speaking your mind. Rebutted sure, but certainly not unable to speak.

IDK. I think most here are left of center. Obviously not far left. But 90% of everyone here doesn't visit Political subforum.

We bust balls here with each other. But I don't see hate here.

I know we have a mix of all kinds here. Members of different skin color, genders, LGBTQ, different religious backgrounds. But none of that stuff is a factor here imo. As in a members identity is known based on their posts and us reading them, not by some kind of special victim status. People will like other's posts here based on what the post is, the content of it. Not what they identify as.

We disagree in threads about gaming (not Stadia lol), guns, Marvel and Star Wars. Then we all come together in friendship in Stadia threads or the Butt Thread.

You will definitely see things you don't like here, but I don't think you will see hatefulness. And we have access to great forum tools and a fantastic Staff.

Just my opinion.
If there's anything that can bring Commies, Fascists, AnCaps, Neocons, Neolibs, Classical Liberals, Libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, and every other boutique snowflake political ideology (I'm looking at you Strasserism) together in fellowship and brotherhood, it's a good Stadia hate thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If there's anything that can bring Commies, Fascists, AnCaps, Neocons, Neolibs, Classical Liberals, Libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, and every other boutique snowflake political ideology (I'm looking at you Strasserism) together in fellowship and brotherhood, it's a good Stadia hate thread.

Hi, I have a fetish for girls with braces and find pedophilia hilarious. I hate Stadia.

bitbydeath

Lefts and rights are well accepted here. It’s the crazy irrational extremists like you find on Era that are the problem.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This board is IN NO WAY a right leaning board. Trust me.

Go to some gun boards or high end car/watch/boat forums that skew towards older folk. Some serious right wing stuff there! GAF, if anything, just has some juvenile crap like the tits or ass thread which only seems alt-right when you have white knights screaming at you that you are sexist for appreciating the lovely female form. Go start a "pecs look great on TV" thread, no one here will stop it. I suspect it wont see much traffic but thems the breaks.

Equality of opportunity, not outcome, should be the goal.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This board is IN NO WAY a right leaning board. Trust me.

Go to some gun boards or high end car/watch/boat forums that skew towards older folk. Some serious right wing stuff there! GAF, if anything, just has some juvenile crap like the tits or ass thread which only seems alt-right when you have white knights screaming at you that you are sexist for appreciating the lovely female form. Go start a "pecs look great on TV" thread, no one here will stop it. I suspect it wont see much traffic but thems the breaks.

Equality of opportunity, not outcome, should be the goal.

Yep, e.g. https://www.ar15.com/forums/

benjipwns

Banned
Bring back Hobbes, what am I gonna do for shits and giggles for the next 4 days, legendary guy!
tQn3qrf.png

HAetAMp.png

Jooxed

Gold Member

Welcome, I tend to stay out of the political forums. I lean left as well but from what I HAVE SEEN the debates are healthy and even if they do get a little argumentative, people make up and move on.. It's pretty healthy for the most part.

nush

While we're on the subject and as I feel like you guys are very understanding and accepting I'd like to let you all know that I'm coming out as Gaycesexual. Which for those of you might not have the time to Google is means that I'm not attracted to men and I don't want to have sex with them.

I'm sure you guys are cool with this so I'm not going to have to put up with the typical gaycephobic questions on why I do not want to suck leonardo dicaprios cock or the assumption that I'm being disingenuous when I say that I still would not even if he whipped a boner out in front of me and asked if I'd like to go down on the Titanic and would also pay me million dollars.

Much love to you all and I hope that you can still accept me as a member here. :messenger_heart:

Tesseract

Banned
I am black, even though I'm slavic and have white skin and grew up in Eastern Europe, I'm black, I identify how I identify so please move on. Seriously, where will everyone draw the line? I'm calling it now, in less than two years people will start identifying as different races even though they're not.

SAY NO MORE

tenor.gif

While we're on the subject and as I feel like you guys are very understanding and accepting I'd like to let you all know that I'm coming out as Gaycesexual. Which for those of you might not have the time to Google is means that I'm not attracted to men and I don't want to have sex with them.

I'm sure you guys are cool with this so I'm not going to have to put up with the typical gaycephobic questions on why I do not want to suck leonardo dicaprios cock or the assumption that I'm being disingenuous when I say that I still would not even if he whipped a boner out in front of me and asked if I'd like to go down on the Titanic and would also pay me million dollars.

Much love to you all and I hope that you can still accept me as a member here. :messenger_heart:
Bitch if Leo showed up with a briefcase full of $25,000 you'd be putting a polish on the bow of that ship in a heartbeat, if you know what I mean.

Why is it every time I see some batshit crazy posts from ERA they always include 1 of 2 things, either A) Anime avatar or B) Fucking Flag background in their avatar.

I don't really have anything against either of these things, but they seem to always associate with crazy...
Don't forget the furry avatars.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why is it every time I see some batshit crazy posts from ERA they always include 1 of 2 things, either A) Anime avatar or B) Fucking Flag background in their avatar.

I don't really have anything against either of these things, but they seem to always associate with crazy...

Like I previously said, I also associate Switch with crazy people nowadays.

I was kind of in your situation. Except I just kept getting banned there. You can be discussing right winged rhetoric and I may not agree with everything you're saying, but the opportunity is there for a conversation. It isn't an instant dogpile, you aren't exiled and ridiculed. If the conversation is operating within a reasonable level there isn't much interference and it's allowed to play out naturally. In this climate it's refreshing.

EviLore EviLore and the rest of the squad ---
meme.gif

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
It begins:
So I'd been mulling about bringing up this subject because I am absolutely not the person to really be able to express myself easily, but I think we really need to have a center focused discussion about this.

We most recently just had an issue that occurred in the Trans Awareness Week and the LGBT Issues Moderation threads, which covered aspects of the issue that I'm going to be discussing in this thread, because I feel it's incredibly important. And I absolutely think there are more significant problems on this board that need to be addressed further that both relate to those issues, as well as outside of them as well.

Before I start, I need to explain something:

I am an individual who has a number of disabilities that relate to a combination of mental health, as well as mental developmental problems. Some of these include:

- Inability to quickly process thoughts and understanding said information and communication given to me.
- Inability to properly articulate what I want to say both in a text and vocal conversation. The latter is significantly worse than the former, but I absolutely do struggle to be able to communicate easily. As a result, I cannot easily and properly explain things as a result, especially in instances of heavy and emotional distress.
- I do not understand and cannot properly process spacial relation issues, which creates problems when I'm given directions on how to get to a place or what I do (I often end up going left instead of right, for instance). It also affected my ability to properly delve into aspect of Geometry, which I at the time, didn't understand why these particular things were giving me issues.
- Emotionally, I'm underdeveloped from the rest of my peers and as a result, it does make things more difficult for me to handle.
- I have anxiety, panic attack disorders, constant heart palpitations, and I both shut down and break down easily under stress. Because of this, I am disabled, on disability, and attempts to try to put me in the work force have not been successful. I am 30 years old, have practically no college experience, and never worked properly either.
- For many of my issues, I am attending and seeing multiple people at a local mental health clinic, but it's a life long issue for me and I do not see myself improving. It's more just trying to cope with what I do have at this point and trying to deal with it the best I can.

And there's more issues I can get into.

As to why this relates to what I'm about to discuss, awhile back after I had a bad experience on Grindr, I opened a thread to vent. The result? Immediately an automatic assumptions, misunderstanding what I was saying, and it got to the point that I do not believe that the topic warranted further discussion. The topic can be read here.

What happened is I did not properly explain what happened, I was under distress, and I was not able to communicate properly. What ultimately happened was during the beginning of the conversation, I apologized to the user I had not updated my profile image in a bit, I sent him what I had at the start of the conversation, we communicated and made sure everything was okay from the get go, and somehow the user not long after that made some of those comments. Ultimately, it's no big deal in the end and I just learn from it and move on.

The topic was another matter. I was called out for "Cat fishing", and it resulted in a user bumping the thread in another topic which suggested it heavily implied to be me given the wording. To add onto this, there were comments intentionally fat shaming me, and among other issues in the said thread.

Another thread that I had opened up, regarding a trending topic on Twitter and I asked users how their High School experience was, a individual posted the following text:

From the sounds of it maybe a school that could better deal w/ your behavioral issues might have done the trick, doesn’t seem like that school was working out for you.
I literally responded to the user to clarify, but they ignored my post and I can only imagine from that they were automatically assuming the worst about me and making said comment.

In another thread, after I brought up my experience on Tinder as a whole (which was a mixture, positive and negative, I think we all had that), individuals proceeded to try and "Call me out", including saying the reason they stopped talking to me was because I got caught "cat fishing", and then when I tried to explain my situation how I struggle to communicate, individual proceeded to say that I should google communication guides and stuff like that and practice and it didn't seem to matter at that point what I had to say.

For reference: Once I became aware of my communication issues, I had to learn how to communicate (took me over a year and I was still practicing since about 2003 or so), but I feel that as if I've hit a brick wall on this and I think I'm at my limit. Even my doctor told me not to over think it as this point and it's okay if I can't easily say what I have to.

These are issues that I personally experience and I feel are minor probably compared to some users, but I feel this is still worth mentioning. This is not okay and it makes me, a person with a number of issues as is, uncomfortable here.

However, we have had issues with some other topics, which I had minimal participation in, such as some of the Gym topics, in how they can be incredibly toxic in nature, and honestly: overly condescending.

Most recent topic comes to mind is this one, both in the OPs title, text, and the poll options. I often people see them post this in threads and it really bugs me as a user that I at first thought was a joke, but this topic seems to serve otherwise, including the responses feel kinda unwelcoming. There was also a topic I participated that also felt incredibly toxic and judgmental, and as a person who struggles to deal with self-esteem issues on top of what I detailed, this only made me feel worse seeing comments like this. Users did call some of this out, but doesn't feel it made an impact.

Now, this isn't intended to be a call out to individual users (and I realize it's hard not to discuss this without bringing up specific topics or posts, so I apologize for this), because I don't think it's specifically one or two people, but the fact many users are not being held accountable by some of the behavior replicated.

I do believe my personal issues, arguably are probably minor, but as someone who has to deal with miscommunications on a day-to-day basis, difficulty explaining myself, and then I feel people automatically assuming the worst, only makes these topics more difficult to post in these.

I've heard from users how uncomfortable they feel posting in Dating, Gym/Fitness threads, and among other ones, as well as some of the comments I've seen with people dealing with mental health issues and disabilities, is frustrating.

Not to mention, we've had threads asking for simple accessibility options, threads about possible issues with strobing/flashing that could cause seizures, many of these are ignored and buried quickly, or the topics become incredibly toxic that there is no conversation to be had.

We really need to talk about all these issues. I'm trying my best on this forum, and I realize a lot of times, I mess up, I try to explain myself better, and now I feel as if I ever want to post in a dating or relationship related thread, users will be quick to point out the thread above, without adding context, or I'll also be handwaved about my communication issues.

I should NOT feel this way about a forum that prides itself is making users feel safe. And I'm sure more users feel this way.

So really, we need to talk about this. How can we change this? How can this be addressed? How can the Admin/Mods make this safer? Because as it stands, I just simply do not feel safe on this forum in a majority of topics. I try and I keep posting, but I always feel I'm this close to somehow making a mistake and it just following me wherever I post.

This needs to be addressed.
The problem is I have on a couple occasions attempt to report some users and it took the cat calling bump thread I mentioned above, for a user to get banned. I don't feel the report system is reliable and I feel bad saying this, but it's absolutely true. I don't think the systems in place are enough to keep me and other users safe.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh god I have an anime avatar and I am currently playing my Nintendo switch, am I exiled back to era?

yes

same with me coz ultros is ""technically"" an anime avatar and i have a switch which i barely use

ManaByte

It begins:

It’s a fucking gaming forum, not livejournal.

theekad

Banned
It begins:

Hah, everyone wants a piece of trans-Ree’s bounty.

“You’re perfect the way you are. It’s everyone else that’s bad.”

Tesseract

Banned

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Like I previously said, I also associate Switch with crazy people nowadays.
I love you guys, but I wish you’d keep that Nintendo-bagging shit to the Farms. It’s beneath us.

I’m a lifelong Nintendo fanboy and I guarantee I’m cooler, have fucked hotter women and drink harder than any of you softcocks.

Ahem, carry on.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I love you guys, but I wish you’d keep that Nintendo-bagging shit to the Farms. It’s beneath us.

I’m a lifelong Nintendo fanboy and I guarantee I’m cooler, have fucked hotter women and drink harder than any of you softcocks.

Ahem, carry on.
Oh thank god im not alone

SeanTron

Neo Member
Things I have learned from resetera:

• Should I meet and date and marry an asian woman, that's racist as WMAF relationships are inherently racist
  • I should have instead have tried to meet another non-white partner as that would be non-racist
  • Except I shouldn't try as that would be racist
  • If I meet a woman who has a (surprise!) penis it would be transphobic to not be interested
  • I should allow my now wife to have sex with anyone and date anyone, as not doing so would be sexist
  • Should I have a baby with this partner that would make me a terrible person due to the climate disaster crisis apocalypse disaster
  • It would also make me a terrible person as I didn't ask my unborn pre-conception child's consent to exist
  • Having a gender reveal party for this baby is transphobic
  • If that baby has a penis (and I quote), that penis is not "male genetalia"
  • Giving a baby boy blue or a baby girl pink anything is transphobic
  • Any clothing other than gray is transphobic
  • Using the word folks is transphobic
  • Questioning trans folx is transpobic
  • Breathing is transphobic
  • Not breathing is transphobic

I really can't believe people could be that fucking bonkers. There must be alt-right agents playing the long con in the trans community there to make that site fucking implode.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Ahem, carry on.
Son, I am disappoint.

600Breezy

Gay and disabled Era, spurred on by the sooking of TransEra, are now making their play for minority victim points

It begins:
Reading what the OP wrote I couldn't help but imagine him as that kid in Game of Thrones that's like 12 but still sucks on its moms tit.

Patriots7

i feel a bit in between the forums. Here skews a lot more right wing than I like, but era is just quite extreme at this point.
Same. It's unfortunate, it wasn't until the split I really noticed how much of an echo chamber a forum could be. At this point, Era is just for the entertainment, sports and world news threads for me. Anything else is just just a minefield waiting to happen.

Lol. True.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom