• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nush

It begins:

Oh hey, it's Mendinso. Let me gather screencaps that show what he actually said.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It begins:

I really hope that guy is just a troll, because damn, I feel sorry for him if he's not.

Either way, it should not be on society at large to accommodate his very specific needs and make him feel safe in whatever he does. If he realizes he has crippling communication disabilities, then perhaps a big discussion forum where things move fast is not the best place to insert himself into. Of course, instead of exercising that kind of common sense, he wants to make his problems everyone else's problems and get them to change according to his whims.

Just sad stuff...

Also, complaining that he only successfully got one person banned by using the report system, therefore is must be broken, is insanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol you made it onto the @ManaByte post of shame. 😉

Lol honestly that place is getting very, very close to the neogaf of old. By that I mean a very, very active community with a few very good posters, which is a good thing. However it has become a toxic community with questionable, biased moderation, to say the least. My previous "trollings" on that ban message were "Antagonizing other users", which used to be the go to ban message there.

I wish the new neogaf was more active because it's not the cesspool it used to be and what resetera is now. I would post here a lot more often if the community was more active. I plan on not being active on resetera anymore. I have seen this movie before.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love you guys, but I wish you’d keep that Nintendo-bagging shit to the Farms. It’s beneath us.

I’m a lifelong Nintendo fanboy and I guarantee I’m cooler, have fucked hotter women and drink harder than any of you softcocks.

Ahem, carry on.

Well I’m married and settled so.... 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol honestly that place is getting very, very close to the neogaf of old. By that I mean a very, very active community with a few very good posters, which is a good thing. However it has become a toxic community with questionable, biased moderation, to say the least. My previous "trollings" on that ban message were "Antagonizing other users", which used to be the go to ban message there.

I wish the new neogaf was more active because it's not the cesspool it used to be and what resetera is now. I would post here a lot more often if the community was more active. I plan on not being active on resetera anymore. I have seen this movie before.

Even NeoGAF 2017 was not nearly as bad as Era has gotten. There was still a lot of fun and good discussion to be had.

Kagey K

Banned

Granted Gaf doesn’t have as many users or as much activity as Era, but I think the quality of the discussions are better here.
You don’t get an OP followed by 3 pages of “yikes” as responses here.

Just know that some people on Era follow this thread very closely and them seeing you post here might be enough to turn your ban permanent. We’ve seen it happen to other users in the past, and will in the future.

Either way, stick around and browse a bit. While you may not get as many responses as you did when posting on Era the replies you get are likely to be of a higher quality.

Patriots7

Even NeoGAF 2017 was not nearly as bad as Era has gotten. There was still a lot of fun and good discussion to be had.
I don't think I've ever witnessed GAF bad previously to 2017. Always a blended mix of funny banter, great source of news and watching the gaming forum from a distance.

Banning someone based on their posts on a different forum has got to be one of the most stupid shit I've ever heard*.

Last edited:

God Enel

tQn3qrf.png
jesus fucking Christ.
You’re basically fucking everything. who gives a shit if it’s called pan Demi bi xyz? Why is this shit so complicated?

kF4nE7s.gif

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Granted Gaf doesn’t have as many users or as much activity as Era, but I think the quality of the discussions are better here.
You don’t get an OP followed by 3 pages of “yikes” as responses here.

Just know that some people on Era follow this thread very closely and them seeing you post here might be enough to turn your ban permanent. We’ve seen it happen to other users in the past, and will in the future.

Either way, stick around and browse a bit. While you may not get as many responses as you did when posting on Era the replies you get are likely to be of a higher quality.

I'm one of the victims. No history of bans but I posted here and I got banned permanently for "advocating off-site drama". Previously I did not call out specific people there and only criticized how they handle things there via here. I can't say that there because I'll get banned so.

DMnxNgp.png

Kagey K

Banned
I'm one of the victims. No history of bans but I posted here and I got banned permanently for "advocating off-site drama". Previously I did not call out specific people there and only criticized how they handle things there via here. I can't say that there because I'll get banned so.

DMnxNgp.png
I remember when you posted, and I gave you the same warning. 😉

Glad to have you around though.

Kagey K

Banned
jesus fucking Christ.
You’re basically fucking everything. who gives a shit if it’s called pan Demi bi xyz? Why is this shit so complicated?

kF4nE7s.gif

This sounds like “Well if they are willing to fuck me, I’ll fuck them back, beggars can’t be choosers“ kind of positioning. 🤷‍♂️

They can certainly come up with a lot of words that mean the same thing. Very similar to Inuits with snow.

Kagey K

Banned
Don’t want to triple post, but I just saw this gem from eras new fav mod and felt it deserved to be shared.

First off, I wanted to say that I am sorry for the experiences you've been through, both on the site and in real life, that have caused you such pain. Also, I wanted to thank you for making this thread; it is incredibly well thought out and you make many good points.

Now, to address your concerns. Over the past couple of days, the entire staff have discussed at length the best ways to make the site feel more inclusive and welcoming to everyone, no matter your mental or physical health, your sexuality, your gender identity, upbringing, race, whatever. A lot of these problems cannot be solved overnight and will take time to completely rectify. However, the things that we are looking at doing in the immediate future are going to allow the site to foster of community of warmth.
  • One of the biggest things we are looking into implementing is a community relations program with a designated liaison. We hope to bridge the invisible gap between site staff and the general user base and be more active in the issues our members are facing. We want people to feel comfortable coming to us with concerns or questions they may have.
  • We are actively looking into a more diverse staff, both in terms or race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious preference, etc. so that all members feel represented and acknowledged.
I know that this does not provide solutions to everything that you brought up, but we are working on many, many more things that we hope will change the culture of the site going forward. The general unease that many members face about posting in threads is something that we are aware of, and we are actively working on a plan that will address this and change the way people interact with each other here.

If you have any other questions that you would like to talk about in private (if that is more comfortable for you), my PM box is open. :)

*Unless you are a Cis White Male.

God Enel

This sounds like “Well if they are willing to fuck me, I’ll fuck them back, beggars can’t be choosers“ kind of positioning. 🤷‍♂️

They can certainly come up with a lot of words that mean the same thing. Very similar to Inuits with snow.

And I’m fine with the first part. I don’t give a shit with whom someone sleeps with. In the end everyone is looking to find someone who they love and trust.

but to tell someone I identify as xyz in certain situations and in others i don’t. Wtf? Who cares about that? Say you’re bi and we’re done. I’ve never heard that you’re pan sexual in a romantic way only with women or whatever the fuck feisty wrote. That’s like.. honestly.. beyond my comprehension. You have to have serious mental problems.

Kagey K

Banned
And I’m fine with the first part. I don’t give a shit with whom someone sleeps with. In the end everyone is looking to find someone who they love and trust.

but to tell someone I identify as xyz in certain situations and in others i don’t. Wtf? Who cares about that? Say you’re bi and we’re done. I’ve never heard that you’re pan sexual in a romantic way only with women or whatever the fuck feisty wrote. That’s like.. honestly.. beyond my comprehension. You have to have serious mental problems.
The thing is, love and sex are already complicated enough. Why do people feel like they need to throw all these pronouns in and make the minefield even more complicated to traverse?
We all like what we like and are attracted to whatever we are attracted to. Can’t we just end it at that?

Instead we get this weird, I’m a MtF transsexual, who only dates FtM transsexuals. Which still results in a penIs going into a Vagina, it’s like the long way around being straight, but now the man is getting pregnant and giving birth?

And the penIs is no longer a male sexual organ.

Last edited:
i feel a bit in between the forums. Here skews a lot more right wing than I like, but era is just quite extreme at this point. I got banned for saying Lindsay Ellis making a joke at Ricky Gervais wasn’t transphobic but clearly I was incorrect as here we are.

reading the drama I see the same issue that trans and non binary communities have everywhere in western countries- they are the same white boys clubs (or girls) that they claim to hate. A gay black mod made a comment about asexuals 2 years ago and is made to stand down.They ignore any black or Asian voices within their community. For how enlightened they are they only know what it’s like to be gay,trans, non binary in their little circles usually living in nice areas or cities. They couldn’t give a shit about a gay person from a black community who probably has seen a lot more shit than them in their life.

but being racist doesn’t get you a probation or ban on era. Only being anti trans does.

I agree that it's a bit too right here for my liking, BUT there's one key difference between neogaf and Resetera:

You won't be banned here for speaking your mind (severe misbehavior aside, ofc). Meanwhile we all know that a 'wrong opinion' gets you instantly banned on Resetera.

I don't know why auth-left places won't allow differing opinions, but it's absolutely a big plus for neogaf.

betrayal

Banned
I swear to god, and i'm dead serious, the number of people with severe social and psychological problems on that site must be somewhere in the 70%+ range. Not to be mean, but it is really scary. There are probably many good people over there, that without any social, psychological or medical help suffer needlessly because they're living their life in a destructive echo chamber for all kind of depressions as well as social and/or anxiety disorders.

benjipwns

Banned
I swear to god, and i'm dead serious, the number of people with severe social and psychological problems on that site must be somewhere in the 70%+ range. Not to be mean, but it is really scary. There are probably many good people over there, that without any social, psychological or medical help suffer needlessly because they're living their life in a destructive echo chamber for all kind of depressions as well as social and/or anxiety disorders.
Hence why Ketkat is the most important person to ever live. Only she has proven capable enough to tell them "you should go to a therapist" every couple of months when she's not busy.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The pronoun brigade are fucking hilarious, especially the pluralites 🤣😂
Literally the only people I’ve ever seen get upset about the they/them when the person wasn’t sure how to address them.

This is how we know we have gone too far. They all scream about how the world wants to kill them each day, yet it doesn’t happen.

Last edited:

nush

It begins:

The story he posted tells a different story.

obZRcBW.png

So he was knowingly fatfishing guys on Grinder and got called out for it, and reading through it he's done it multiple times hoping for a different outcome. somehow this deception he was pulling makes HIM the victim? "I havent updated my picture in a while" Pull out phone, take selfie, upload to Grindr would take less time that it did for him to write out that post. These guys and posting their resume of mental illnesses as a shield for their shitty behavior.

Grindr Profile

2gTrWoj.jpg

Date night
m7wtQ06.jpg

nush

Q7YN76e.png

benjipwns

Banned
Look, he just doesn't explain himself well. Even after writing 300,000 words on the subject. If he could just have the chance to explain. His doctors said he'll never get any better at explaining. If he could just feel safe to be able to patiently explain you would post something supportive and justifying instead of taking his words absent the full explanation and responding to them even though there's an explanation to be made. I'm feeling like I'm not explaining this well, let me add some further details to explain so that...

Last edited:
I agree that it's a bit too right here for my liking, BUT there's one key difference between neogaf and Resetera:

You won't be banned here for speaking your mind (severe misbehavior aside, ofc). Meanwhile we all know that a 'wrong opinion' gets you instantly banned on Resetera.

I don't know why auth-left places won't allow differing opinions, but it's absolutely a big plus for neogaf.
Yeah that's where I'm at. Where's the forum for left wing people like me that just doesn't get as extreme as era?

Edit : I don't even like gaming even though I have like 8000 steam games

Last edited:
I would say that a heterosexual woman having sex with lots of people probably has more social stigma than an asexual person. But both are fine. Saying something like that would possibly result in a ban in resetera, and all that they're accomplishing is alienating more people that are pretty liberal that are just going to leave or stop posting in threads relating to sex/gender.

It begins:
It's funny how they all start it off with platitudes about how "we need to have a discussion" and "it's finally time to call this out" as if ERA hasn't been recycling those exact topics for the past 12+ months ad nauseum as the forum degrades into chaos.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Things I have learned from resetera:

• Should I meet and date and marry an asian woman, that's racist as WMAF relationships are inherently racist
  • I should have instead have tried to meet another non-white partner as that would be non-racist
  • Except I shouldn't try as that would be racist
  • If I meet a woman who has a (surprise!) penis it would be transphobic to not be interested
  • I should allow my now wife to have sex with anyone and date anyone, as not doing so would be sexist
  • Should I have a baby with this partner that would make me a terrible person due to the climate disaster crisis apocalypse disaster
  • It would also make me a terrible person as I didn't ask my unborn pre-conception child's consent to exist
  • Having a gender reveal party for this baby is transphobic
  • If that baby has a penis (and I quote), that penis is not "male genetalia"
  • Giving a baby boy blue or a baby girl pink anything is transphobic
  • Any clothing other than gray is transphobic
  • Using the word folks is transphobic
  • Questioning trans folx is transpobic
  • Breathing is transphobic
  • Not breathing is transphobic

I really can't believe people could be that fucking bonkers. There must be alt-right agents playing the long con in the trans community there to make that site fucking implode.
Nailed it. It's really something over there. Quite fascinating to observe. Tripping over each other trying to fight oppression by oppressing the voices that think differently.

nush

It's funny how they all start it off with platitudes about how "we need to have a discussion" and "it's finally time to call this out" as if ERA hasn't been recycling those exact topics for the past 12+ months ad nauseum as the forum degrades into chaos.

That dude seems so salty he could not get more people banned just because of HIS issues.

Not to poke fun at you but quit being lazy. The community isn't here to entertain you. Participate and see what connections you can make.

As someone who would be classified as "right", I believe the "selling point" of GAF is that people can be "right" or "left" without it being a defining feature of their avatar or the center of their time on GAF. The collectivists who whine about "right" and "left" usually end up becoming pretty annoying after they realize GAF doesn't stratify across political views like a lot of other websites/forums. GAF doesn't twist itself into knots over endless purity tests (like baiting for certain opinions and then dogpiling anyone who disagrees).

i.e. you and I might have a heated argument about something political and then laugh and find common ground on something videogame-related. If you can somehow tolerate brushing elbows with those who have different opinions than yourself, GAF isn't going to enforce an opinion one way or another.

That dude seems so salty he could not get more people banned just because of HIS issues.
Huh, I wonder how much of stems from the ERA desire to tally up a score of bans. "Look, look! I helped purify the forum a bit more. Aren't I a special little pet ally?"

Nailed it. It's really something over there. Quite fascinating to observe. Tripping over each other trying to fight oppression by oppressing the voices that think differently.
I don't want to make excuses for racists and racist attitudes (that's not the point here), but ERA can surely understand why people conditioned by years of racist rhetoric behave the way they do. A racist is conditioned to believe the Other is not only a bad person, they're literally a threat to one's own wellbeing and survival because of their skincolor. ERA suffers from the same kind of groupthink.

PanzerAzel

Cj7ltDT.png

Seems like a great choice!
You know that a site’s moderation has gone completely batshit insane when users express reservations about nominating someone for the job out of fear of being banned for expressing a GOTY preference.

Christ.

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
There's an extreme political ideology that's at the root of their major problem, but it's not really a traditional one, it's not "left" or "right" as most people, especially Americans, perceive it. The amusing aspect in that regard is how they consider themselves "left of left" while the rest of their forum is a centrist-Nazi hellpit and places that aren't lockstep in a dominant strain of self-proclaimed leftism are therefore right of right of Attila The Hun, all the while they spend most of their time posting about how women need to cover up, sexual expression is bad, people who don't abide by gender/racial/ethnic stereotypes are not to be trusted, and major corporations and elites can do no wrong even if the "people" disagree, etc.

But the main problem is that their self-humorless. It was the same way when they were here before they bolted and it led to the same problems here. Oh, sure, "we have fun" and "look how wacky and random us personalities are" and so on. But self-deprecation exists only in its passive aggressive, and shall I say, weaponized form that's actually insulting others. I could go on, but the greatest tell about the lack of self-humor is how endlessly they discuss what is and is not comedic.

There's a King of the Hill episode in which Bobby goes to clown class and learns the proper ways of clowning instead of his old fart jokes and crude humor. He learns TRUE comedy. The ha-guffaw-aw-haha formula.
YgB16Xp.gif

This fails, and he is booed by the students. Hank is there to save the day though and tosses him a whoopie cushion. He jokes about the principal farting and is carried off to cheers.

The clown professor yells at the audience "THIS LAUGHTER IS ILL-INFORMED!"

ResetERA.com is not as clever as that episode's satire, but they are nevertheless in the mindset of the clown professor. Thus the obsession with the demand that comedy must not "punch down" and every other endless thread debating comedy and its purpose being literally everything but laughter.

What they actually mean when they talk about how "everything has politics" is really that the only politics that matters is power politics and this is expressed in this analysis of comedy, gaming, big-boobed anime chicks and everything else they spend all their words on. And it best expresses in how the prominent members treat the very forum itself.

Everything is about power. And power relations. This view inherently demands that one must be above another. This demands an incessant need to determine who and what is above who and what else. The claims of safety, of marginalization, of discrimination, etc. especially on the forum itself is a perverse twisting of the state in which power is obtained by the willing forfeiture by others. A trans poster on an internet discussion forum is not inherently marginalized or discriminated against on the forum itself in a recognizable way. The power of their arguments, the quality of their character, everything else creates their "status" unless they can change this equation. To do so, they must move from the broadly anonymous into a very public persona. It's not enough that you recognize their username or their avatar, you must know actual "legitimate" details about them to place them properly within the power relation framework. And since you're a good liberal, and a good person, you're willing to grant leeway if they have some kind of disadvantage. Except this disadvantage does not manifest on the forum itself, them being an asshole with terrible arguments who does nothing but ruin threads is not and should not be explained away by the fact that they come from a real world power relation that leaves them marginalized, discriminated against, victimized, etc. This is clearly and utterly absurd.

Unless the state of everything is transformed into pure power relations. It's not enough for the moderators to do their jobs poorly or inconsistently or just be stupid like Slayven, no, instead it must be a war on a specific marginalized community that is being undeserved by the privileged staff like the trans community. Ignore that they wield purely dominant power from any objective metrics, that's not the point as we've already established. The "real world" is irrelevant to literally all of this. The only role it ever plays is to establish the particular details of the current battle over forum-based power relations.

On King of the Hill someone demanding "this laughter is ill-informed" is a comedic moment, someone to laugh at. On ResetERA.com it becomes a wielding of power that to challenge is "downplaying" real world concerns when the only actual stakes are stupid posts on a stupid forum. "This laughter is ill-informed" is a brutal broadside against the ignorant who watch South Park and think it's funny because fart jokes are funny. Those people display their ignorance, their acquiescence to the privileged status quo by refusing to stand up and declare "I agree, this laughter IS ill-informed!"

The entire thing is an endless display of social signaling within power relations that matter and exist only and entirely within the forum that sometimes gets picked up by other idiots elsewhere who don't realize they're doing the same thing within their same spheres and forums and instead believe that they are actually tangibly warring in true power politics of which they never will come close to sniffing, same as the other seven billion losers on the planet.

It angers them. To not play is betrayal. Not casting off your family is betrayal. Not giving your life to the cause that is posting on ResetERA.com is betrayal. Visiting other forums is betrayal or worse. Those are all steps outside of the forum's power relations, into others, into other support and community structures, into areas outside the watchful eyes of the forum activists, into places full of ill-informed existence.

They're right, it's an utterly toxic and corrosive ecosystem. But in their hunt for saboteurs (something that recent thread literally used multiple times to describe people who did not dedicate to ResetERA.com enough) and fighting of entirely internal wars they cannot even begin to consider that the true force is not solely their perceived enemies.

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
There's an extreme political ideology that's at the root of their major problem, but it's not really a traditional one, it's not "left" or "right" as most people, especially Americans, perceive it. The amusing aspect in that regard is how they consider themselves "left of left" while the rest of their forum is a centrist-Nazi hellpit and places that aren't lockstep in a dominant strain of self-proclaimed leftism are therefore right of right of Attila The Hun, all the while they spend most of their time posting about how women need to cover up, sexual expression is bad, people who don't abide by gender/racial/ethnic stereotypes are not to be trusted, and major corporations and elites can do no wrong even if the "people" disagree, etc.

But the main problem is that their self-humorless. It was the same way when they were here before they bolted and it led to the same problems here. Oh, sure, "we have fun" and "look how wacky and random us personalities are" and so on. But self-deprecation exists only in its passive aggressive, and shall I say, weaponized form that's actually insulting others. I could go on, but the greatest tell about the lack of self-humor is how endlessly they discuss what is and is not comedic.

There's a King of the Hill episode in which Bobby goes to clown class and learns the proper ways of clowning instead of his old fart jokes and crude humor. He learns TRUE comedy. The ha-guffaw-aw-haha formula.
YgB16Xp.gif

This fails, and he is booed by the students. Hank is there to save the day though and tosses him a whoopie cushion. He jokes about the principal farting and is carried off to cheers.

ResetERA.com is not as clever as that episode's satire, but they are nevertheless in the mindset of the clown professor. Thus the obsession with the demand that comedy must not "punch down" and every other endless thread debating comedy and its purpose being literally everything but laughter.

What they actually mean when they talk about how "everything has politics" is really that the only politics that matters is power politics and this is expressed in this analysis of comedy, gaming, big-boobed anime chicks and everything else they spend all their words on. And it best expresses in how the prominent members treat the very forum itself.

Everything is about power. And power relations. This view inherently demands that one must be above another. This demands an incessant need to determine who and what is above who and what else. The claims of safety, of marginalization, of discrimination, etc. especially on the forum itself is a perverse twisting of the state in which power is obtained by the willing forfeiture by others. A trans poster on an internet discussion forum is not inherently marginalized or discriminated against on the forum itself in a recognizable way. The power of their arguments, the quality of their character, everything else creates their "status" unless they can change this equation. To do so, they must move from the broadly anonymous into a very public persona. It's not enough that you recognize their username or their avatar, you must know actual "legitimate" details about them to place them properly within the power relation framework. And since you're a good liberal, and a good person, you're willing to grant leeway if they have some kind of disadvantage. Except this disadvantage does not manifest on the forum itself, them being an asshole with terrible arguments who does nothing but ruin threads is not and should not be explained away by the fact that they come from a real world power relation that leaves them marginalized, discriminated against, victimized, etc. This is clearly and utterly absurd.

Unless the state of everything is transformed into pure power relations. It's not enough for the moderators to do their jobs poorly or inconsistently or just be stupid like Slayven, no, instead it must be a war on a specific marginalized community that is being undeserved by the privileged staff like the trans community. Ignore that they wield purely dominant power from any objective metrics, that's not the point as we've already established. The "real world" is irrelevant to literally all of this. The only role it ever plays is to establish the particular details of the current battle over forum-based power relations.

On King of the Hill someone demanding "this laughter is ill-informed" is a comedic moment, someone to laugh at. On ResetERA.com it becomes a wielding of power that to challenge is "downplaying" real world concerns when the only actual stakes are stupid posts on a stupid forum. "This laughter is ill-informed" is a brutal broadside against the ignorant who watch South Park and think it's funny because fart jokes are funny. Those people display their ignorance, their acquiescence to the privileged status quo by refusing to stand up and declare "I agree, this laughter IS ill-informed!"

The entire thing is an endless display of social signaling within power relations that matter and exist only and entirely within the forum that sometimes gets picked up by other idiots elsewhere who don't realize they're doing the same thing within their same spheres and forums and instead believe that they are actually tangibly warring in true power politics of which they never will come close to sniffing, same as the other seven billion losers on the planet.

It angers them. To not play is betrayal. Not casting off your family is betrayal. Not giving your life to the cause that is posting on ResetERA.com is betrayal. Visiting other forums is betrayal or worse. Those are all steps outside of the forum's power relations, into others, into other support and community structures, into areas outside the watchful eyes of the forum activists, into places full of ill-informed existence.

They're right, it's an utterly toxic and corrosive ecosystem. But in their hunt for saboteurs (something that recent thread literally used multiple times to describe people who did not dedicate to ResetERA.com enough) and fighting of entirely internal wars they cannot even begin to consider that the true force is not solely their perceived enemies.
shut up dummy

Last edited:

YgB16Xp.gif

Tl;dr
Can someone pls ban him for transphobia?

(🙋‍♀️🐧)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom