• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD |OT| I'm Rebecca! Let's do our best!

Just got to the end of the train on Hard. I probably used too much ammo, but those corridors are narrow and I didn't want to take damage... (even though I did).

Ya know I think I'm finally understanding the appeal of this game.

I feel like the game really works as intended when you split the partners apart most of the time, and only have them together when group puzzles are involved. It's more of a horror version of what Broken Age tried to do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So apparently Steam pre-orders are supposed to get Package B but don't have it.

GG Capcom. GG. I expected to throw Billy in the Cody outfit from the get-go. But now I have to wait until you fix this.

I also thought pre-orders got Basketball Becky in addition to Cheerleader Becky. CAPCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Reebot

Ya know I think I'm finally understanding the appeal of this game.

I feel like the game really works as intended when you split the partners apart most of the time, and only have them together when group puzzles are involved. It's more of a horror version of what Broken Age tried to do.

I actually think it works best when the two roll together as a death squad. RE Zero dumps a lot of enemies at the player, but even on higher difficulties gives you enough ammo to cope - as long as you play smart. Billy on point and Rebecca in back dealing out the damage does a great job.

When I first played, 14 years ago
I feel old :(
I tried to play it too much like REmake; prioritizing avoidance and smart pathing. Zero plays better as the more action oriented cousin to REmake, and I've come to appreciate it more.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In case anyone is wondering, you can definitely remap the control by using Durazno (I just tried it). This is what I did to most closely match REmake controls:

Change Back to Y
Change Y to LT
Change LT to LB
Change LB to Back
Change RT to RB
Change RB to RT
Change B to X
Change X to B

This way you can aim with RT, fire with A, bring up inventory with B, bring up map with Y, and reload with X.

The only weird thing with this solution is that you now use X to back out of menus instead of B, so it's not ideal.

Edit: nvm figured it out.

Here are some DLC codes from the Fan Costume Design Contest (Don't ask about the Xbox One code, I already redeemed it):

Quote to Reveal -

Manu

Centurion might be the worst boss fight I've ever seen in a RE game, and I played the first Revelations.

Replaying this in HD makes me so excited we're getting a remake for RE2. I really hope it's in the same vein as REmake and RE Zero.

Game looks gorgeous. Now it's the CG cut-scenes that look rough compared to actual gameplay.

braves01

Banned
I really do not care for *mid-game spoiler*
the monkeys
. So annoying and they seem like absolute tanks. I've been trapped by them since the animation when Billy takes damage is so slow I couldn't get a shot off to escape.

Neff

Centurion might be the worst boss fight I've ever seen in a RE game, and I played the first Revelations.

They get worse.

the monkeys
. So annoying and they seem like absolute tanks. I've been trapped by them since the animation when Billy takes damage is so slow I couldn't get a shot off to escape.

RE0 is the most notorious game in the series for being hit-combo'd, a single Hunter can chain three hits on you quite easily if you let it.

Loaded up REmake today just to play it for a bit and compare it to RE0. The backgrounds look pretty terrible if you use widescreen view, but in original they hold up alright. Still, they don't hold a candle to the improvements they've made to RE0, which looks great in either mode, and in fact the closer view in widescreen mode often lets you enjoy them much closer to the camera. It's still a bit sad, I'll probably be whining about REmake getting the worse treatment for years to come.
the monkeys
Happened to me too, I had been progressing smoothly up to that point, then went into the room with three of them and was stunlocked to death. Fortunately I remembered how annoying that part was and saved just before.

They get worse.

RE0 is the most notorious game in the series for being hit-combo'd, a single Hunter can chain three hits on you quite easily if you let it.

The first hunter I encountered combo'd me the second I gained control. During multiple attempts!

And the Eliminators (monkeys) are as bad as I remember, or worse. Hope you didn't forget anything in a remote room cuz they're gonna be there now too...

braves01

Banned

I managed to survive my first Hunter encounter without too much trouble, thankfully.

Happened to me too, I had been progressing smoothly up to that point, then went into the room with three of them and was stunlocked to death. Fortunately I remembered how annoying that part was and saved just before.

I've never played Zero before this, so I've been pretty cautious with my saves. Luckily I saved before then, too.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've realized that my mastery of RE0 just isn't up to par. I'm enjoying not knowing what I'm doing in a way that just isn't possible with REmake.

I typically do not save this much in "classic" games, but there are plenty of ribbons. Rebecca got banged up pretty badly by
the first leech mimic
, and Billy got slapped across the room twice by
Stinger
. I think the no-heal run is going to be a doozy, even on easy. Lots of retries when encounters go wrong

Despite my fuzzy memory, I am trying to be smart about dropping items. The truly great players have impressive strategies for item management, but I don't intend to look at any of their runs until I go for S-Rank.

I really am impressed by the presentation. The new 5.1 mix sounds nice, though I have not tested it at higher volumes.

I'm glad that I will have time tomorrow to really get after this, as I have only been able to play in short bursts due to other obligations.

tav7623

Here are some codes for the T-Shirt Contest pack

Xbox 360:
6V49P-3PHPK-2K7F9-RXH2M-6VRFZ

Steam:- gone

Grisby

Beat the
Scorpion
boss pretty easily. Feelin' good.

Rejoin with Rebecca
and try to cross to front of train. Billy gets mugged by the
8 other zombies
that have showed up in the train cars. Flee through door in hopes that he automatically joins me on the other side.

He's doesn't. Forgot the game does not do that. Go back for him. He dies. Shut off game for the night. Gotta beat the boss again tomorrow.

I've realized that my mastery of RE0 just isn't up to par. I'm enjoying not knowing what I'm doing in a way that just isn't possible with REmake.

I typically do not save this much in "classic" games, but there are plenty of ribbons. Rebecca got banged up pretty badly by
the first leech mimic
, and Billy got slapped across the room twice by
Stinger
. I think the no-heal run is going to be a doozy, even on easy. Lots of retries when encounters go wrong

Despite my fuzzy memory, I am trying to be smart about dropping items. The truly great players have impressive strategies for item management, but I don't intend to look at any of their runs until I go for S-Rank.

I really am impressed by the presentation. The new 5.1 mix sounds nice, though I have not tested it at higher volumes.

I'm glad that I will have time tomorrow to really get after this, as I have only been able to play in short bursts due to other obligations.

Tip on the first leech encounter:
You can just head back to the stairs and the cutscene with Billy will play. Similar to the first zombie in RE1 as Jill when retreating will let Barry step in.

Also the scorpion:
Hang back and aim down + shoot when it gets up close. It will recoil every time.

Played for a few hours today. Its still Resident Evil 0. Great remaster though. The backgrounds are alot clearer than the RE-REmake. Did capcom have better assets to work from?

Bergerac

Guess im bringing it then.. dammit.

No the best thing to do with the hookshot after
you get off the train is dump it by the north door in the Training Facility 1st Flr Central conference room that leads to the balcony out back, or on the balcony
. You'll need to grab it again once you reach the
Church
, then take it with you. You only need it three times after that and they're in relative succession then you can dump it.

Beat the
Scorpion
boss pretty easily. Feelin' good.

Rejoin with Rebecca
and try to cross to front of train. Billy gets mugged by the
8 other zombies
that have showed up in the train cars. Flee through door in hopes that he automatically joins me on the other side.

He's doesn't. Forgot the game does not do that. Go back for him. He dies. Shut off game for the night. Gotta beat the boss again tomorrow.

If you hit follow before you leave, your partner will be with you in the next room. I've been exploiting this to hell just for basic survival.

I also have some codes for the Fan Costumes, not planning to get the game so PM me if you want them.

Currently have:
Steam - Gone
PS3/4 - Gone
Xbone - Gone

ekgrey

That's probably a different problem. The one I mentioned doesn't crash the game - it just stops it with a black screen. When I first discovered this in RE5 the game was still "running" in the background - I was still able to switch between gamepad and mouse/kb (the game was showing a message that input was changed to XXX) - but other than that, the screen was black, there was no sound and all you could do is just force quit the game. The issue occurs only on build 11082 (released in December) and 11099 (released in January).

Apparently there's also a problem with build 11099 where it suddenly crashes and displays a message about missing WSClient.dll file. It hasn't happened to me yet, though.

Yup, that's the one. Curiously though, nothing's crashed on me except RE4 that one time. The message just pops up. Granted, I think it's only happened while I was away from my PC but it can't have crashed because I haven't come back to the log-in screen.

Did anyone create a "tips for beginners" for RE0?

1. don't drop the hookshot ever
Nah. You can totally drop it on the train right after first using it so long as you have two inventory slots open once you get off the train and you make sure to grab it quick before leaving that first area after the train. Leaving it by the train exit is a horrible mistake though given how tight that area is if you need to go back.

Here's a good tip, once you have beaten the first boss, ditch the stupid hunting shotgun thing. No sense lugging that thing about.

Oh and make sure to save the molotovs you get on the train and keep them with you. Do not, I repeat, do not, use them on the train.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK so the one issue I'm running into trying to rebind the keys is that you can't bind an axis (i.e., left trigger) to a button (i.e., Y), so there's no way to bring up the map using Y.

That's a bummer. I'm debating just putting up with the default controls and just trying to get used to it.

OK so the one issue I'm running into trying to rebind the keys is that you can't bind an axis (i.e., left trigger) to a button (i.e., Y), so there's no way to bring up the map using Y.

That's a bummer. I'm debating just putting up with the default controls and just trying to get used to it.
It might be worth getting a steam controller. They're so flexible. I have the map on a button.

Parsnip

Here's my extra t-shirt codes hidden in email tags, I only needed the steam code myself.
Their region is Finland (possibly entire Europe?), I don't know if that matters on some console.
Quote to reveal.

PS3/4 code is gone, 360 and Xbone codes might not be?

Grisby

Game looks great btw. That scene where you're on
top of the
train blew my goddamn mind back on the Gamecube. Less impressive now of course, but it still looks good.
If you hit follow before you leave, your partner will be with you in the next room. I've been exploiting this to hell just for basic survival.
Thanks, I'll give this a go.

TheSeks

Wow, They straight up bumbled the controls. How do you not allow the player to rebind the controls as they see fit if you're going to change the scheme from the previous outing?

I mean, fucks sake, as much as I hate Bio6 that's the one fucking thing it did right.

Chabbles

Leave it in the hall for now, when you do a thing in the
observatory
, make sure to bring it with and keep it.

No the best thing to do with the hookshot after
you get off the train is dump it by the north door in the Training Facility 1st Flr Central conference room that leads to the balcony out back, or on the balcony
. You'll need to grab it again once you reach the
Church
, then take it with you. You only need it three times after that and they're in relative succession then you can dump it.

Ok thanks. This sort of info can make a big difference when inventory space is so fucking tight.

Nah. You can totally drop it on the train right after first using it so long as you have two inventory slots open once you get off the train and you make sure to grab it quick before leaving that first area after the train. Leaving it by the train exit is a horrible mistake though given how tight that area is if you need to go back.

Here's a good tip, once you have beaten the first boss, ditch the stupid hunting shotgun thing. No sense lugging that thing about.

Oh and make sure to save the molotovs you get on the train and keep them with you. Do not, I repeat, do not, use them on the train.

I forgot to pickup the bottles on the train. So im assuming the red canister(x3) i currently got was to be used to combine with to make the molotovs ?. Can you get bottles after the train section anywhere, or is the red gas tank now useless ?

Here's my extra t-shirt codes hidden in email tags, I only needed the steam code myself.
Their region is Finland, I don't know if that matters on some console.

Please let me know if you grabbed one so I can edit the post when they are gone.

Claimed PS3/4. Thanks!

Ok thanks. This sort of info can make a big difference when inventory space is so fucking tight.

I forgot to pickup the bottles on the train. So im assuming the red canister(x3) i currently got was to be used to combine with to make the molotovs ?. Can you get bottles after the train section anywhere, or is the red gas tank now useless ?
There's more gasoline and more bottles to be found throughout the game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So there's this really weird and annoying dead zone with the alternate controls that wasn't present in REmaster. It's so strange. They clearly put a lot of work into up-rezzing the backgrounds but for some reason the controls feel totally neglected.

TheSeks

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Biohazard 0 Fan Tee Shirt outfit -- MB-7D5446000AB76489
Xbox 360
Biohazard 0 Fan Tee Shirt outfit -- MB-E3A2576C64467A2F
Xbox 720

t1453351480z1.png
[

360/720 codes might be slightly fucked up given Modbot hates my Biohazard 0: Fan T-shirt # Comment - Key-Goes-Here format. So uh... if they're mixed, cancel and PM me and I'll give you the correct one.

I considered it, but I really like the feel of a regular controller. Don't know if I could get used to using trackpads instead of analog sticks.

I haven't needed to move the partner character much yet, but I'm controlling the main character with the analogue. The trackpads work well for a lot of things. I like it quite a lot on something like Alan Wake, where you can have all the buttons and analogue sticks work like a 360 pad, but the aiming track pad act like a mouse rather than a right analogue.

The downside is on screen prompts are regularly not going to line up to your mappings. But having the flexibility to configure stuff however you want is really nice.

missed a shot to get the Fan Shirt DLC for Steam...dang

if anyone else gets a spare code for PC they don't plan on using I'd appreciate it (or I'll get in line behind anyone else who asked before me)

So there's this really weird and annoying dead zone with the alternate controls that wasn't present in REmaster. It's so strange. They clearly put a lot of work into up-rezzing the backgrounds but for some reason the controls feel totally neglected.
I feel like the old controls also stop more often than in REmake for some reason.

Top Bottom