• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remastered announced (2016; PC,PS4,XB1,PS3,360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Looks like an actual effort unlike REmake. I found that to be a really mixed bag in terms of scaling everything up. Here it looks great for the most part.

Unlike REmake, it seems like they had the source files for the backgrounds this time. Also may help that for Zero HD, most of the people who worked on Zero are still at Capcom and available for work it seems.

MORT1S

I think it was more the people working on it didn't realize they were supposed to play at half-speed and no one told them to change it. And THEY thought that was how it was supposed to sound. And it's awful.

And not enough people realize or care so I'm just gonna sit here and pout. The return to the mansion is pretty much ruined by this for me.

No...

Like I said, the included Official Soundtrack that was included with the Steam Preorders had those tracks at the wrong speed, and were given different names than what they were on the Original Soundtrack's release. For instance, the track "Sigh of Relief" is renamed "Sigh of Relief - Music Box Ver." and is sped up from the original soundtrack release.

So for some reason, it was an intentional change (Not a good one) - not an oversight or bug. I really don't see why they would mess it up, then choose to include those tracks on a newly released soundtrack when they could've just re-released the original cut instead.

Sesha

The character models generally look pretty good, but there are a few points that bother me about Rebecca's model.

- They made her lips fuller. It kinda looks like she's done some botox compared to the original look.
- Her eyelashes look like she's applied some thick eyeliner. Looks off for an 18-year old field medic. Maybe RE is like Mario in that the characters are actors and she wanted to look more glamorous on set or something.
- I dunno what the reason is for it, but her gaze is more intense, which sometimes gives her this kind of dead-eyed effect.

KyleCross

I hate the tweaks they gave her, they literally "kawaii'd" her up. I'm getting it on PS4 but a good chunk of me wants to get it on PC cause I know someone will mod in a proper HD upgrade face on her model.

Dusk Golem

I also will say the new look for Rebecca is the biggest thing I'm "Hmn" about. Its her face, mainly, it looks a bit weird with everything else.

Though I also understand the look is them updating Rebecca's model to reflect the actress she's based off of, I forget her name off the top, but I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and she does accurately reflect the person she's modeled off of more now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I also will say the new look for Rebecca is the biggest thing I'm "Hmn" about. Its her face, mainly, it looks a bit weird with everything else.

Though I also understand the look is them updating Rebecca's model to reflect the actress she's based off of, I forget her name off the top, but I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and she does accurately reflect the person she's modeled off of more now.

Honestly it's mostly fine for me but it seems they made her go overboard with the mascara and lip gloss in this version.

JimmyJones

Banned
I've watched like 5 different people playing this on youtube and every one of them chose Alternate controls. This does not bode well for the Resi 2 Remake.

Dusk Golem

Honestly it's mostly fine for me but it seems they made her go overboard with the mascara and lip gloss in this version.

It is the make-up, I agree, since its her lips and eyes that stand-out the most. It's more noticeable since there's a few cutscenes where the camera is focused on a close-up of her face, especially early in. There are a few alt costumes where it looks better, though.

Honestly Zero needs the most work, REmake can coast by purely on pedigree.

While I hope this Remaster changes the general opinion on Zero, I think it wasn't the visual department most people who had an issue with Zero had with it. It already was basically the best-looking classic-styled horror game, the fact this is a good HD version and added effects make it more-so then it already was, with the subtle animations, lighting, and art direction help with that. It was a good looking game 14 years ago, and it's held up and is still a good looking game with the updated backgrounds today.

Most people's issues I think stemmed from a few gameplay design things. I think Zero is better than a lot of people remember it being (some treat it like it's some black sheep of the franchise or like it's a bad game, which is hardly true), but it also is one of the most... Melancholic RE's, for lack of a better word I can think of. There's no kind of stalker enemy (Leechmen are the closest to that), there's no strategic path-planning like there is in REmake, no gruesome monsters or A & B scenario like RE2, and no chaotic cityscape like RE3. Its kind of like a more... Filtered back RE1 mixed with the pacing of RE3. It has some gameplay differences, with controlling two characters on the fly, the item dropping system, but its a bit more... melancholic.

I do think it's not dull or anything though, and the game like other RE's does have elements to strike up the pace. Zero has the best puzzles in the series in my opinion, has a lot more puzzles than usual also. The game is gorgeous to look at, I love some of the locations (my favorites being the train,
the torture chambers, and the church laboratory
), and I actually think Billy and Rebecca are likable, but I also don't think it's the best RE. I do think it's much better than many make it out to be though, and some who haven't played it in a long time may be more soured on it since most played it after REmake, which this is a very different game to. It's a solid survival-horror game, a good one even, but not the series best, and I think some remember it worse than it actually is. It's not that much worse than RE2 and RE3, in my opinion (I do like those games more, but Zero isn't that different to the other older RE's).

I also think the extra post-game content will help it in some ways.

Gradon

Wasn't Rebecca's face based on Ayumi Hamasaki? Anyway, do we know if all costumes are gonna be up for purchase? Did they include any in the base game? I want the nurse costume but I don't want to preorder a physical version when I have REmake already.

Dusk Golem

Wasn't Rebecca's face based on Ayumi Hamasaki? Anyway, do we know if all costumes are gonna be up for purchase? Did they include any in the base game? I want the nurse costume but I don't want to preorder a physical version when I have REmake already.

Yes, that was her name! Ayumi was the person that Rebecca was modeled after of in Zero and her new facelift is based off of her as well. And I was saying, technically the updated model matches her face more, but it looks a bit weird in context of Zero.

Ayumi_Hamasaki_picture.jpg

I know wbacon said something about pre-ordering Zero if you already owned REmake HD and played it at least once before release would get you the nurse/convict costumes, but clarification would be appreciated.

braves01

Banned
The new font sucks. The lack of serifs hurts the mood a surprising amount, imo. I still can't wait to download this, gonna be a blast.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I think the facial features are so intense because during gameplay we don't typically see her up close. This is borne out in the gameplay shots we've seen. It just keeps her from looking washed out, imo

(I assume we are talking about the up-close before/after of her 3d model's face)

I'm so excited for this. I remember when I bought my game cube I played RE4, REmake back to back then got stuck into this but sort of got lost in area without knowing what to do/where to go and never got back to it. So happy to finally have the chance to play it over again.

Arklite

The new font sucks. The lack of serifs hurts the mood a surprising amount, imo. I still can't wait to download this, gonna be a blast.

I think that's actually the original font used on RE0 Gamecube version. At least I remember thinking the exact same thing years ago.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Very solid assessment.

I also think people expected the box-free item management to be something it logically couldn't be: liberation from item management.

If you accept that inventory management is still an important part of "classic" RE games, then just like the optimization problems of REmake, it is a challenge to master and approach like a puzzle.

Speedrunning is definitely a thing in RE0, so the box-free approach can be mastered for efficient runs. Figuring such things out is a big part of the fun of the classic games.

It can be a nightmare of backtracking or not, that is up to the player.

Sesha

I think the facial features are so intense because during gameplay we don't typically see her up close. This is borne out in the gameplay shots we've seen. It just keeps her from looking washed out, imo

(I assume we are talking about the up-close before/after of her 3d model's face)

I was basing it on the Digital Foundry video. Her wide-eyed stare is really noticeable during cutscenes.

Tigerfog

I'm ok with Rebecca's new face. :)
It would be like Last of Us on PS4 having updated in-game character models looking more like their cutscene counterparts.

As for those re-rendered 2D backgrounds... yummy.
I'm really glad there was more effort into that this time around. :)

yop

I replayed through the Gamecube version a few weeks ago for the first time since I bought it at launch and for me it's still a very good game. It lacks some of the finesse of RE1 and 2 for sure and there are a few issues with difficulty i.e. normal is far too easy, and I found hard to be the right level but only after playing normal first :/ so I'd find it hard to recommend hard off the bat.

Really looking forward the the re-release now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom