• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

ruvikx

Banned
I agree regarding the black levels. It's all a little bit too washed out (& I noticed some framerate drops on the base PS4). I'm now waiting for the pc demo so I can compare them & see what it's like at high settings. As for the game itself, it's all goodness. Leon's controls are as good as expected, with a sort of RE4 foundation with far more manoeuvrability. Shooting body parts off the zombies is also fun.

I didn't complete the demo objective though (30 minutes is way too short & I like exploring). I got the lion medallion & that's it.

Edit: the demo seems set to super easy mode as well because the zombies die very quickly & there's a huge amount of ammo available.

Last edited:

Fake

Hope Digital Foundry make a video about. Love those guys. So, bad HDR implementation?
The games looks really blurry for some reason.

Last edited:

dolabla

Wait, it's not up on the US PS Store yet? I can't find it anywhere.

I just downloaded it on the US Xbox Store.

Mochilador

I played the Xbox One version. Performance is pretty good, graphics looks great.
The zombies fall pretty quick if you land head shots but they don't die easily.
Unlike RE2, where a zombie would leave a pool of blood when dying, RE2R doesn't do that. You gotta shoot or slash them to make sure.
I beat the demo with 1 minute remaining.
Overall I really liked it, can't wait for release day!
Also, I will try the PS4 demo later today.

Last edited:
Just got done replaying the original today (Leon A, Claire B), and then downloaded and played the demo just now. The only thing I can say is... holy mother of God! The game looks and feels stunning. Yeah there might be some graphical "kinks" to be ironed out, but whatever, it still looks amazing. And it's clearly a totally new game, but still feels familiar. I haven't been watching any gameplay videos, wanted to save some mystery for myself. This was one of the best demos I have ever played. What a time to be alive!

This game series just keeps on giving. I've been playing it for most of my life (22 out of my 33 years on this planet) and I never get bored of it. Thank you Capcom!

Moses85

Regarding the difference between PS4 and XBox, I guess the Xbox Demo comes without XBox One X Textures.

Finished my first playthrough, took me 22 minutes without rushing.

I love it (ok, I am a RE2 Fanboy since its first release on PS1)

It is scary but I played RE7 in VR from start to end and this was scary as fack!

I was sure after RE7 in VR nothing ever will me scare like this.

Cant wait to get hands on this masterpiece without time limitations!!!

Just played the demo on steam. Loved it. It feels familiar but with a few twists. Funny how i still remember the original after all these years.
Looks great, feels smooth. Great use of gore. Can't wait for the full version. 30 minutes was enough. I'm not going to try any workaround. I can wait.

PsyEd

PC demo has lots of custom gfx settings and game supports both dx 11 and 12....as usual dx12 performance sucks. Seems my single living room pc with 1080ti with 8700k can't deliver 4k60 at the preset max setting for the demo...well it goes over 11GB ram video ram requirement. When I dialled the texture to 4GB I got around 55-67fps in 4k with dx11 through my 16 mins gameplay. I still prefer this game on my couch on my big screen TV than sitting in front of my PC which has a 1080ti SLI.

PC version also supports Atmos but again demo sound seems broken for surround...same 7GB download like X. Also using SMAA over TXA+FXAA gives less vaseline effect. As usual PC version seems to be the definitive edition will the bells and whistles. Capcom should've disabled the 1 shot 30 min timer for people who pre-ordered...I mean come on I wanna play more and find all 3 medallions and unlock those lockers! Can't wait!

wolgoen

PC version looks awesome at 4K, maxxed out.

I must be a slow gamer as 30 minutes is no way near enough time to enjoy the demo imo.

Get the trainer to disable the timer and get unlimited ammo. A wholeeeeeee different experience.

Def picking up the full game.

Ugh, just looking st the console comparison pics...

Great...

Once again, the X gets the worst effort. The X is running a higher resolution, it has stupid AA settings that totally destroy the image and remove any detail. The Pro has next to no AA, lower res, but is much much sharper.

Same issue was in RE7. The game looked loads better on Pro there too.

Woohoo... No lessons learned again...

Shameless copy from Era:

Comparison #3

Pro: https://abload.de/img/residentevil2_1-shotd0gio1.png
1X: https://abload.de/img/brawly_residentevil21bfcyv.png

Comparison #4

Pro: https://abload.de/img/residentevil2_1-shotdamfxc.png
1X: https://abload.de/img/brawly_residentevil21eudaj.png

Why do Capcom not give a shit about the X? It takes a special amount of shot to make a more powerful console look visually WORSE than the other.

I noticed it too...played both versions and the x1x gets the ps4 vasolene look

Mochilador

Did you guys have trouble finding the game on the PS4 store? I had to get it from the website, it didn't show up on the PS4 store.

kunonabi

Finished in a little over 21 minutes but i was screwing around a lot. Main criticisms are that the game seems bloated with puzzle items and the control options suck. Should still be a good time but it doesnt look like it will completely fix the original like I was hoping it would. I'm also very happy I sprung for the classic music because the minimalist approach sucks as usual.

EmSeta

I don’t think the bad black levels are a problem only with HDR.

I’m playing in SDR and one of my biggest complaints was the wonky black levels. Perhaps fiddling with the brightness settings could help.

Also, the controls are a little “loose”. Might be something to get used to.

Other than that, it feels bloody amazing.

PS4 Pro version with HDR looks absolutely stunning. Finished the demo in 19 minutes, I have loved every minute of it. Wonderful remake, strong candidate for the best remake ever, currently SOTC.

Ellis

Stolen from Sunhi over at the cesspit.

YdyMirx.gif

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Playing on PC and it’s uktra smooth but even there the lighting is whack. The AA options are utterly shite too. But man it’s so smooth at max everything.

Anyway...

The codes for the lockers are B-I-O and R-E-S. I can’t get into the safe, and I don’t think you even can in the demo. If only has 15 digits, and every time you put in a wrong digit, it exits. Tried all 15 and each exits, so I’m guessing it’s more a case of you need to find the code to use it.

Got the magnum ammo, shotgun, camera film, 2 medallions, killed everything etc. Blasting through pc with unlimited ammo and no counter just makes the game feel so much better. Adding a timer was the worst decision they could have made here...

I’ll be interested to see some hacks in this. There’s some areas you’re supposed to go, but can’t, yet are still there. The caves off steam room, the few locked areas, the area outside the gates etc.

The games only two weeks away, and this will all be revealed.., but I love seeing what people dig up. The game modes, characters and unlockables are all on Era atm too :)

DavidGzz

Heh, 30 min is such a tease. I ran past so many zombies and just barely go to the shotgun to use a couple rounds before it cut me off.

Ellis

Does the TAA on base PS4 do a good job at clearing the aliasing like in RE7 which used a combination of TAA+FXAA.

I'd rather have a little more blur than jaggies.

VAVA Mk2

Can someone confirm that Jen Taylor is voicing Dr. Birkin's wife? I swore I heard Dr. Halsey at the end of the 1-shot demo in the trailer.

yesrushdt

I'm in heaven playing the PC demo in "classic" mode (aka with the HUD and tutorials off). Graphics look phenomenal and the gameplay is superb. Hope this version can be made harder than the original. I beat the original in a couple days back in '98.

I am having one technical issue right off the bat though. When I activated the lobby computer my screen froze. I pressed start to bypass the FMV (I had seen it in a few other playthroughs anyway) and then I saw nothing but black. I tried messing around with the graphic settings but the black screen remained. I can hear Leon moving around just no visuals. I restarted the game and tried to access the lobby computer FMV a couple more times to no avail. I'll just have to avoid it in the demo I guess for now. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Normal zombies are a bit too bullet spongy. 2-3 headshots should suffice, dumping over half a clip into the noggin seems a bit much.
I may need to fiddle with the settings on my 4K set, the blacks looked a lot better on my pc monitor.

Was pretty fun. Watched Maximilian play it last night, so I already knew what I needed to do and what I didn't need to bother with. After my first playthrough goofing around and trying out the weapons, I did a speedrun with my remaining time just for the hell of it.

dolabla

Played it on my X earlier and just now played it on the Pro. Definitely does have a blur on the X, but it runs well on both. Hopefully the blur thing gets fixed. I'm gonna for graphics (30fps) over performance in the full release. Can't wait to play this with the original soundtrack.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Has someone checked the IQ with the film grain filter off? If that texture wasn’t adjusted, the resolution shift could make it a blur filter depending on how it is applied. Also from the “trailing” comments it sounds like they’re using TXAA which generally blows ass.

I was hoping the demo would be amazing like DMCV so I can preorder but this has put me off since I have a new PC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it in 23 min. on Xbox. I definitely wanted to spend more time exploring. I was really thrown off by the change in level design. I mean, wow at some of these changes. The game definitely takes another spit take at the original. The zombies look good, especially the female zombie in jeans. Capcom sure does well with the characters outside the whole technical aspect of it.

I like how they've taken the puzzles and sized them up. However, some things make me kinda puzzled. In a good way though. There's so much talk about how games need better puzzles and I agree in some ways. Then you realize "wouldnt some employee like try and figure them out?". Like the persons's notes. lol I'm excited about it. I definitely have the vibes of playing the original.

IMG-5025.jpg

This room is iconic to the original and it's right at the beginning. But the whole entrance and the way you get inside is completely 100% changed. While other parts feel like they're spot on with the original. Plus Capcom has really been showing off a lot of footage. I've seen large pieces of parts of the plot. But it's all been overhauled with voice acting, level design, and etc. I'm really looking forward to playing more of it. It's going to be a great addition to the classic.

9 Left, 15 right, 7 left

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Played it on all 3 platforms.
PC version seems to have a v-ram issue. Says I have less than 1GB.

Wunray

Played the demo on pc and ps4 and yeah aiming on pc isn't fair, it's straight up hacks even. Think imma get this on pc when this drops........after my exams.....sigh.....

Fired it up on PC. Maxed everything out at 1440p and averaged about 70-80FPS. Game looks awesome.

As for the playthru, I turned off all PC lights, turned on Hue Sync, tossed on the headphones and loved every second of the demo.

My one thing I have seen people say is it takes too many shots to drop a zombie, I didn't think that at all. Just let the reticle shrink back to a small grouping and fire. I was dropping them at 3 shots with 2 follow ups on average to finish them off. If you just fire wildly it will take a lot more.

I loved how I could still recognize portions of the station but still feel like discovering something new. I am ready for the full release, it got me with two jump scares that weren't even zombies. Game is going to be so good.

Played it on all 3 platforms.
PC version seems to have a v-ram issue. Says I have less than 1GB.

Vram counter is bugged. It was saying I had like 12+. Either way I maxed it out and it ran perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom