• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake |OT| Welcome back stranger! What are you RE-buyin'

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Does anyone know how the RNG on the charms work? Save-scumming doesn't seem to work; I always get the same useless charm :(

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does anyone know how the RNG on the charms work? Save-scumming doesn't seem to work; I always get the same useless charm :(

The pattern is the same even if you reload, but there's different patterns for different combinations of medals, so you could savescum that way and try GGS then GSS, etc.

Mine are all awful, not even bothering with it any more.

Puscifer

I reinstalled the OG last night and I just can't stand it. The gameplay aged terribly.
Which platform? Just curious because I have to admit the Wii and PC version with the HD mod are the only ways I can tolerate the original, I still in some ways can meet it on it's level and have a great time like going back to doom.

Which platform? Just curious because I have to admit the Wii and PC version with the HD mod are the only ways I can tolerate the original, I still in some ways can meet it on it's level and have a great time like going back to doom.
PC. The steam version. Controls are so outdated. And the fov is too narrow. I did beat the OG RE4 multiple times on PS2 and PS3. I was excited to play again on PC back then. I made it half way through the campaign and stopped. Tried coming back to it a few times but I just can't. Movement, aiming, weapon swapping feels terrible.

Dr.Morris79

Yeeeahhh, i'm still stuck in the first village on Hardcore. The thing thats pissing me off is that everytime I die you have to start the whole cycle again and hope you dont get cheesed..

I think i'm too old, might dump it on normal. I wouldnt mind if it was a bit more fluid but once the mobs on you it's clunky town with you being stuck in a doorway getting the shit kicked out of you, with two bullets.

Matt_Fox

Yeeeahhh, i'm still stuck in the first village on Hardcore. The thing thats pissing me off is that everytime I die you have to start the whole cycle again and hope you dont get cheesed..

I think i'm too old, might dump it on normal. I wouldnt mind if it was a bit more fluid but once the mobs on you it's clunky town with you being stuck in a doorway getting the shit kicked out of you, with two bullets.

Yeah, do a first run through on normal, and then NG+ on hardcore or professional once you're more experienced and better tooled up. Gives you a good excuse to replay it.

Puscifer

I would say either stick with hardcore or start over, not going to lie it took me about 9hrs to fully understanding the parry system and that there's moments it's okay to run away unless you're mining items but normal or whatever it's called is so easy that I felt like it was a pushover. At this point I die maybe once or twice a chapter, if at all, it's very much like the original in the sense that the game expects you get better and when you do you're chaining headshots, roundhouse kicks and face stabs like no one's business.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PC players, is there a mouse sensitivity option I just wasn't seeing in the demo..?

Felt pretty good with mouse aiming but still too sluggish for me by default.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Finished yesterday. It's so great that hurts, but not as great as the first REmake

Reasons? Let me tell some:
- having the exception of Leon, NO other voice actor fits as well as the original game. Don't get me wrong. Some people try hard, like the seller and Ada, but the voice is just acceptable. Others however, like Wesker and Saddler, are just awful and seems completely generic. They should think in calling the old voice actors, Twin Snakes style - with exception of Leon, he sounds as cool as ever
- as much as I'm in favor of the cuts they made, they added stuff, and some are rather boring, like swarms of insects in several places, including the final boss
- the story with Krauser is still poor. They missed the chance to develop his rage and you're just like "they screwed him up somehow"
- there was a designer who said that the Commandos were too bullet sponge and they took them out for that... But then they put in Bull Head, and the difference is that he uses a sledgehammer... Changing six for half dozen, Capcom?!
- the difficulty level is weird during the game. It doesn't really grow according to the progression and there are times when you die a thousand times in the same corner - I know it has adaptive difficulty, but looks broken. Also, some checkpoints are very close, sometimes very far, and by the final chapters gets annoying
- some challenges are just lazy. Finishing the game with no more than 15 saves?! I mean, it's a matter of unlocking infinite weapons to rush things down and there you go. Not really a challenge, just lazy

Last edited:
I feel like I live in opposite world with this one. I'm five hours in and I just don't see anything wildly great here and I think this game has quite the issues. I really like the original but I'm not a rabid fanboy or anything so a remake was welcome by me. It's just that I feel like ultimately the combat changes here don't really improve encounters in any meaningful way and the comically shitty character movement and controls make combat in general feel markedly worse. Am I a fan of tank controls? No. But at least the encounters and controls in OG feel like they work in tandem. Remake feels like I'm trying to maneuver a popsicle stick in a jar of peanut butter around a bunch of rabid dogs. There's something fundamentally unsatisfactory to me about how Leon moves vs. how nimble and agile villagers feel in comparison.

I feel like they tried to spruce up the Survival Horror in this to get it more in line with the remakes thus far and it just isn't working for me. I love that concept in theory but seemingly purposefully making Leon control like a heavy smoker trapped in a tar pit isn't more Survival Horror to me, it just makes the combat feel unwieldy, imprecise and obnoxious. The knife parry addition is absolutely cool and I like it quite a lot but then we have an addition like the absolutely garbage magnetic grabs that seem to have no cooldown nor limit. Take the Abandoned Factory cliffs set piece for example. On Hardcore, I can't tell how often I got stunlocked into a grab > dynamite > grab routine. It seems like for every positive I get a negative that outweighs the positive greatly. I think the reason people still love RE4 is the shockingly good balancing and encounter design they achieved and I'm not feeling that here.

I like the new coat of paint a lot but I'm really surprised by the amount of glowing reviews. It's doubly absurd to me considering Dead Space Remake just sharpened the original game's actual gameplay and level design as close to perfection as it can get and I saw a lot of criticism about it not doing enough somehow. Meanwhile I feel like 4R does the opposite and introduces things just to do something different and in the process messes up the delicate balance of what was great about the original to begin with. And also, I absolutely loved RE2R and also think Dead Space Remake is vastly better than the original so I'm not having a nostalgia fit.

PS: I also dislike the overall new tone I admit. Something is lost in this wishy-washy "not ultra grimdark but not campy anymore" and it comes out feeling a bit dull and gray overall. In trying to make everyone more serious, they just kind of come off as simply more dull to me.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
The Mercenaries characters models and costumes have been datamined. First time Wesker RE Engine: yay or nay?

FsAFGScXwBcNsE5
Fr_ry4RX0AIRWXf
Fr_r0h_WAAIVY0Y
Fr_r4apWIAQC_SM
Fr_r56fWYAIrBki
Fr_sWOmWAAMXByH
Fr_sXs3WAAAA8Cp
Fr_saYvWAAEtyjh

Man I was impressed.... Surpassed the Original 4, Re1 remake and Re2 remake by far for me. They recovered in class from the insult that 3 remake was in my eyes. One of the best games I have ever played easily and a huge improvement over RE8... just my opinion.

Last edited:

Hal.

Man I am not very good at this game. Got up to the double garrado room in the castle on hardcore and am getting fucking abused by them. Am finding I never have enough shotgun ammo either which is making things harder.

Struggled with the water room too but managed to get through it - that was v tough as I didn't have any flashbangs so chewed through most of my ammo fighting the thicker parasites (not the ones that slash, the ones that used to instagib you in re4 original and spit acid in the remake) as they are tanky as shit.

Watched a couple of tutorials for the double garrado room but I keep getting boxed in and cannot kill the mobs effectively because the garrados then run up and push my shit in.

Wish me luck gents

Got up to the double garrado room in the castle on hardcore and am getting fucking abused by them.
You know stealth actually works against them right? In the original the AI would periodically "peak behind the curtains" and attack you even if you never moved.
In this game they will -never- find you if you are crouching.
So just ring the bell to distract them and kill the 3? Waves of regular enemies first, then just focus stealth killing one of them; if you still have a bell left after this, just use it to blast the last one in the back with the magnum.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I feel like I live in opposite world with this one. I'm five hours in and I just don't see anything wildly great here and I think this game has quite the issues. I really like the original but I'm not a rabid fanboy or anything so a remake was welcome by me. It's just that I feel like ultimately the combat changes here don't really improve encounters in any meaningful way and the comically shitty character movement and controls make combat in general feel markedly worse. Am I a fan of tank controls? No. But at least the encounters and controls in OG feel like they work in tandem. Remake feels like I'm trying to maneuver a popsicle stick in a jar of peanut butter around a bunch of rabid dogs. There's something fundamentally unsatisfactory to me about how Leon moves vs. how nimble and agile villagers feel in comparison.

I feel like they tried to spruce up the Survival Horror in this to get it more in line with the remakes thus far and it just isn't working for me. I love that concept in theory but seemingly purposefully making Leon control like a heavy smoker trapped in a tar pit isn't more Survival Horror to me, it just makes the combat feel unwieldy, imprecise and obnoxious. The knife parry addition is absolutely cool and I like it quite a lot but then we have an addition like the absolutely garbage magnetic grabs that seem to have no cooldown nor limit. Take the Abandoned Factory cliffs set piece for example. On Hardcore, I can't tell how often I got stunlocked into a grab > dynamite > grab routine. It seems like for every positive I get a negative that outweighs the positive greatly. I think the reason people still love RE4 is the shockingly good balancing and encounter design they achieved and I'm not feeling that here.

I like the new coat of paint a lot but I'm really surprised by the amount of glowing reviews. It's doubly absurd to me considering Dead Space Remake just sharpened the original game's actual gameplay and level design as close to perfection as it can get and I saw a lot of criticism about it not doing enough somehow. Meanwhile I feel like 4R does the opposite and introduces things just to do something different and in the process messes up the delicate balance of what was great about the original to begin with. And also, I absolutely loved RE2R and also think Dead Space Remake is vastly better than the original so I'm not having a nostalgia fit.

PS: I also dislike the overall new tone I admit. Something is lost in this wishy-washy "not ultra grimdark but not campy anymore" and it comes out feeling a bit dull and gray overall. In trying to make everyone more serious, they just kind of come off as simply more dull to me.
I never beat the original but played for roughly 7-8 hours. I think this is an improvement, but I agree that it isnt a gigantic leap. Especially considering its coming after 3 generations and 18 years. dead space is very similar but wasnt as well received but I also think its because Dead Space just wasn't as great a game as a metroidvania inspired RE game. I love TLOU and I wouldve loved to have the movement and mechanics from TLOU2 in this game, but man the level design in those games is so basic in comparison. Even when they give you a large sandbox area where the combat truly shines, once you're done you are done and off to the next room. There is no puzzle elements, no real incentive to explore, just a simple mad dash to the finish line like call of duty.

A lot of your issues are with the combat and i think reviewers just dont care about that as much as level design. See how Zelda BOTW was received despite having some pretty average combat.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alright, just finished the game. The island section is where they started cutting stuff or switching things for more abridged versions of certain areas.

Overall I think it was a good decision since it helps to make that section of the game flow a bit more smoothly while also retaining the important story beats and most iconic moments from the original. I don't mind trimming a little bit of the fat. In fact, this is exactly what I was hoping for because in the original it was just room after room filled with bad guys and those fights could go on forever.

The only thing I wish they wouldn't cut is the U-3 fight. Although in the original id didn't serve any meaningful purpose other than just pad out the game with yet another boss fight, it was still a unique encounter and I was hoping that they are going to repurpose it for the remake and actually give it some meaning in the story.

I also liked the redesigned Krauser fight, although his final stage was a bit bullshit. Sometimes it gave you a prompt to dodge his attacks, sometimes it didn't. Make up your mind, game.

Anyway, good stuff. I enjoyed the game. Some things it does better, mostly when it comes to the story, but in other ways I still prefer the original. I'm honestly on the fence which version I'd prefer to play now when doing series marathons now. With 2 and 3 it was a no-brainer and I always played the remakes but with this one, I honestly can't decide.

Last edited:
This remake is exactly what I wanted this remake to do.

The big set pieces are there but brought in a new way to still be surprising.
The maps are all mostly different (only got to the island though)
The merchant challenges are a nice touch
The shooting range has been improved
Changing weapons on the fly
The treasure + jewel fitting mechanic

SlimySnake

Quick note to PC users. I turned up the High res textures to 8GB completely shattering my 9 GB VRAM limit with the total vram usage going up to 13 GB according to the settings menu, and I can confirm I saw no crashes in around 5 hours of playtime.

Mind you, with RT i was getting crashes just going into yellow with just 7 GB of VRAM usage and 3 GB of textures. Seems like this is yet another game like Gotham Knights, Hogwarts and Callisto (or was it dead space) that is completely broken in RT mode on PC.

Crazy considering my 3080 is a second gen high end RT GPU and i have now bought and played 4 games back to back without RT. Shouldve just gone with AMD cards tbh. Couldve had the 6950xt for the same price I got my 3080 for last year. Way more VRAM and 15% better performance. Without RT, there is no point using DLSS anyway.

I think i might make a thread about this.

Madflavor

The Mercenaries characters models and costumes have been datamined. First time Wesker RE Engine: yay or nay?

FsAFGScXwBcNsE5
Fr_ry4RX0AIRWXf
Fr_r0h_WAAIVY0Y
Fr_r4apWIAQC_SM
Fr_r56fWYAIrBki
Fr_sWOmWAAMXByH
Fr_sXs3WAAAA8Cp
Fr_saYvWAAEtyjh

Red Dress Ada, fuck yes! Now that Wesker is in the game, ironically Chris Redfield is looking like the last one to get the Remake treatment.

What do you think of knives now breaking?

To me, that offers up more realism. It makes the game feel somewhat more like a survival horror game, even though it's very action focused all the same.

SlimySnake

To me, that offers up more realism. It makes the game feel somewhat more like a survival horror game, even though it's very action focused all the same.
I have like 5 knives plus my combat knife that i can repair thanks to a 30% discount charm. I dont really mind it. Game quickly drops a knife whenever I end up breaking all of them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

There is nothing realistic about a combat knife breaking.... ever.
I don't mind it though. It works with the gameplay

SlimySnake

Since Alex from DF has been slacking his PC videos lately, this guy on youtube has just been killing it. His Hogarts video was fantastic and this is even better. You can gain a lot of performance by turning down max settings without a noticeable difference.

It's crazy how Depth of Field, Lens Distortion and Motion blur add up to a 10% hit to performance. All for making the image look WORSE lol.

Hair is insane too. 17% hit to performance. Even more than RT which is a 11% hit.

This lines up with my experience on consoles where turning off hair, RT and DoF, Lens Distortion and Motion blur made it almost a locked 60 fps even in Resolution mode that has way better IQ than the awful framerate mode. Cant believe DF recommended people play on that mode, and complained about having too many configurable settings on consoles. They have lost their fucking minds.

P.S You can turn on the preview RAIN by changing the Rain setting to Low and play the game it was intended to be played. YOLO.

MTrrnYw.gif

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm on Chapter 8 on Professional with a fresh New Game. I can tell you that the starter handgun is the best handgun to have when fully upgraded. That 5x Crit Chance is making a world of difference, I'm popping off heads left and right.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Since Alex from DF has been slacking his PC videos lately, this guy on youtube has just been killing it. His Hogarts video was fantastic and this is even better. You can gain a lot of performance by turning down max settings without a noticeable difference.

It's crazy how Depth of Field, Lens Distortion and Motion blur add up to a 10% hit to performance. All for making the image look WORSE lol.

Hair is insane too. 17% hit to performance. Even more than RT which is a 11% hit.

This lines up with my experience on consoles where turning off hair, RT and DoF, Lens Distortion and Motion blur made it almost a locked 60 fps even in Resolution mode that has way better IQ than the awful framerate mode. Cant believe DF recommended people play on that mode, and complained about having too many configurable settings on consoles. They have lost their fucking minds.

I like these. DOF and motion blur are of excellent quality in this game. Motion blur adds a lot to the "motion" animations and so on.
lens distortion is debatable. I can see that. I keep it on.
Also, not sure about that vid. I tested it and there was no fps difference

SlimySnake

I'm on Chapter 8 on Professional with a fresh New Game. I can tell you that the starter handgun is the best handgun to have when fully upgraded. That 5x Crit Chance is making a world of difference, I'm popping off heads left and right.
I am disappointed by the Red 9 exclusive upgrade. 1.5x power isnt really making that big of a difference. I can pop off arms and legs no problems, but cant crit headshots. They do all die in 3 hits so having that guarantee is good, but again, lack of red dot sight makes it kind of a boring weapon to use.

Also wasted my exclusive perk from the merchant on the sniper rifle. Figured 2x damage would be huge but honestly aside from making bosses piss easy, it isnt a big deal because headshots were always a one shot kill anyway.

Shouldve never sold my maxed out Handgun. :(

Hugare

I agree with you 100%

I'm very early in the game, but I've played enough to say that its not replacing the original for me

Some things it does better, and others are worse.

Gameplay is the most important of these things: it's simply not as fun as the original, imo.

When I shoot a ganado in the face, I expect being able to run + kick him, but nope, here they can sometimes tank a shot to the face, and the window is so short, that you'll run to him while he is not staggered

Leon controls are also very floaty. I know about the huge input delay on consoles (I'm playing it on PS5), but even the demo on PC felt weird. Aiming is terrible.

I'm enjoying my time with the game, but after finishing, I'm definitely going back to my RE 4 HD run on PC

Pilgrimzero

Played a bit more (I'm to the castle) and yeah its great.... almost.

I really don't like Ashley tagging along in certain eras. Like when you have to flee an area/under heavy assault. I can dodge around villagers, apparently she can't. Well, very well.

There is nothing realistic about a combat knife breaking.... ever.
I don't mind it though. It works with the gameplay.

Steel may be stainless, but it's certainly not indestructible. A knife could break by hitting a solid object, for example. Plus, Leon uses it for parrying against a chainsaw, which is not really possible to do without damaging it either.

Madflavor

I am disappointed by the Red 9 exclusive upgrade. 1.5x power isnt really making that big of a difference. I can pop off arms and legs no problems, but cant crit headshots. They do all die in 3 hits so having that guarantee is good, but again, lack of red dot sight makes it kind of a boring weapon to use.

Also wasted my exclusive perk from the merchant on the sniper rifle. Figured 2x damage would be huge but honestly aside from making bosses piss easy, it isnt a big deal because headshots were always a one shot kill anyway.

Shouldve never sold my maxed out Handgun. :(

It happens. We all learn from trial and error. I can think of a couple bosses that 2x Damage Sniper Rifle came in handy for.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have like 5 knives plus my combat knife that i can repair thanks to a 30% discount charm. I dont really mind it. Game quickly drops a knife whenever I end up breaking all of them.
Right. Most of the time I don't even have the combat knife equipped. Not that I mean to do it, just seems to default to kitchen knives but I haven't had any issues with lacking resources for the most part. I have so many guns in my case and the bolt thrower w/ mines is my backup for when I run out of shotgun shells.

Game is ballin' outta control.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't like the new one as much. I am terrible at dual analogue shooting. The old one was a little easier. It looks superb though.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have purchased this game 4x on multiple platforms. I will wait for a heavy discount.

Top Bottom