• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Waiting for Super Salvador to glide (yes, it definitely feels like he glides rather than walks) into the sweet spot for Leon's shotgun to properly stun him is probably one of the more stressful things in the game aside from self-imposed challenges.

If you need a confidence boost for the Bella Sisters, unlock HUNK first, then go to town on them.
How to make Super Salvador easy for Leon: get him to chase you, find a window and climb over it, shoot/throw grenades from the other side while he tries to climb over, if he climbs over then go back to the other side, repeat until dead.

FLAguy954

How to make Super Salvador easy for Leon: get him to chase you, find a window and climb over it, shoot/throw grenades from the other side while he tries to climb over, if he climbs over then go back to the other side, repeat until dead.

This or lead SS towards the base of a ladder while you are at the top. Allow him to start climbing then knock him off the ladder. This actually does damage believe it or not so repeat it until he's dead.

UrbanRats

QTEs are a stupid mechanic :/

Depends on how they're done.
I liked them in Shenmue, i hated them in Resident Evil 4.

in RE4 they're bad because (my experience with the GC version):

- They're random, alternating between different inputs without logic.
- If you fail, they don't branch out.
- Half the time it didn't register those damn shoulder triggers.
- They come out of nowhere (this one i'm not super sure of, it's been a while).

In Shenmue they're good because:

+ Every button press is related to actions taking place on screen, if Ryo throws a punch, you have to press the punch button, if he jumps, you have to press the kick button, and they don't change in subsequent retries, because they follow a logic.
+ Often, missing one doesn't mean game over, but the sequence playing out in a different manner.
+ They are introduced by a specific music, so you're not just watching a cutscene and BAM.. you have time to get ready.

This or lead SS towards the base of a ladder while you are at the top. Allow him to start climbing then knock him off the ladder. This actually does damage believe it or not so repeat it until he's dead.

You're thinking of garden-variety Dr. Salvador.

Super Salvador leaps tall buildings (and ladders) with a single bound.

The window trick mentioned above is probably the most reliably safe way of dealing with him as Leon, and I can't believe I forgot that the level even HAS a window to climb over until now.

Mr_Zombie

I'm on 3-1 now. The game is still as awesome as I remembered. :D I had to get used to old control and the limited melee combat, but I'm good now.

One thing that keeps bothering me is that when you go into aiming mode the laser dot, instead of starting in the middle of the screen, is positioned somewhere on the right side of the screen. Was it always like that? It already cost me a couple of hits when I wanted to quickly aim and shoot at the enemy right in front of me and instead ended up shooting somewhere next to him.

Grief.exe

Membrane or mechanical boards?

I have the latter and I can just hover at the actuation point for those kind of QTEs.

By the way if you don't have a mechanical board, well worth the investment.

Kadin

Membrane or mechanical boards?

I have the latter and I can just hover at the actuation point for those kind of QTEs.

By the way if you don't have a mechanical board, well worth the investment.
I've got friends who use those and I can always hear them when we play. I can only imagine how loud they are in person. With that said, I'm debating one right now.

Grief.exe

I've got friends who use those and I can always hear them when we play. I can only imagine how loud they are in person. With that said, I'm debating one right now.

Certain keys are louder than others. I believe Blue switches are actually very loud.

Cooler Master actually makes a very good board for cheap, check them out.

Ragus

Banned
My my, that boss fight with
Salazar.

It took me so much time. It was like a fucking bullet sponge. After being defeated 3 times I said "fuck it" and searched for a good strategy.

1. Go the the right.
2. 4 shotgun shots to the eye
3. 1 shot from a bazooka into Salazar

Well. that escalated quickly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Salazar.

It took me so much time. It was like a fucking bullet sponge. After being defeated 3 times I said "fuck it" and searched for a good strategy.

1. Go the the right.

Good strategy: rocket launcher to the face. :D That's how I do it as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Good tip, I'll try it next time.

You're thinking of garden-variety Dr. Salvador.

Super Salvador leaps tall buildings (and ladders) with a single bound.

The window trick mentioned above is probably the most reliably safe way of dealing with him as Leon, and I can't believe I forgot that the level even HAS a window to climb over until now.

I was running away from him and he wasn't even that close to me. I got to a tall ladder and climbed. He was waiting at the top of the building. 0_o.

Grief.exe

Apparently they plan on releasing a demo this Saturday with the texture fixes for the first areas of the game.

http://www.re4hd.com/

109B.jpg

Fantasmo

Has QLoc/Capcom said anything about improving the shaders? I know they included them, but they are not very pronounced at all compared to the mod.

I can't fucking mash X fast enough after the mining cart, always had trouble here. I believe it's where I ended my professional run way back on the gc. I just can't do it man.
It's insane how fast you have to be. It took me ten tries to pass the first boulder on Professional over the weekend. It's much MUCH harder than on Normal. They absolutely need to fix that. Felt like I pulled something in my back too ugh.
Apparently they plan on releasing a demo this Saturday with the texture fixes for the first areas of the game.

http://www.re4hd.com/

109B.jpg
That is absolutely amazing, definitely downloading that. Thanks for all your updates Grief.

Risible

Salazar.

1. Go the the right.

I always save the rocket launcher for Salazar. I've played the game to completion more than 20 times and I've only fought him with conventional ammo once - never again. Like you said, he's a bullet sponge.

New beta update up. 280MB for me.

Change log
Fixes & Tweaks:

Re-tuned water reflection animation speed when played in 60fps mode
Removed static texture on burning candles in the church (Separate Ways/Another Order)
Re-tuned speed at which cannon shells are launched in Chapter 4 of Separate Ways/Another Order
Fixed one pixel-width vertical line that was uncovered on the left side of the screen in Credits and Options menu
Removed orange-ish post process screen effect when Leon and Ashley reenters the church after the Saddler cutscene.
Added back wake effect in 60fps mode after defeating Del Lago.

New Feature:

"Anisotropy" setting can now be saved when altered in the config.ini file. Valid settings are "0" "2" "4" "8" "16" without the quotation mark. Smaller value will result in blurrier textures, but this may help rendering performance for PCs that are at or below minimum specs.
Added a 4th color filter option in the graphics setting menu which slightly reduces the overall 'warm' color effect of the screen (Red and Green toned down on the RGB scale)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Happy I can continue to vouch for Capcom's RE ports in the future. RE5, 6, and Revelations were also well supported, so looking forward to if they ever get around to porting more of their older games.

Happy I can continue to vouch for Capcom's RE ports in the future. RE5, 6, and Revelations were also well supported, so looking forward to if they ever get around to porting more of their older games.
RE5 wasn't, PC version never got DLC and it's going to be left to die in the GFWLpocalypse. :<

gunbo13

Beat the game twice on normal. 1st play-through was a little under 15hrs, the second around 9hrs. Ended up with around 750,000 PTAs after upgrades throughout the second, which fell short of the infinite launcher. I'm now chapter 5 or whatever, to Ada's Separate Ways. After finishing up that is the rest of the bonus content including mercs plus next difficulty play-through.

This game has a lot of aspects more akin to "WTF" choices by Capcom as opposed to cons.

Crapcom Choices
  1. QTE - Popularized it heavily for action games unfortunately (Shenmue wasn't shoot bang like this). Kaiser #1 is mind-numbingly stupid and annoying. The laser room after that long segment in act 4 bug zone is also horrible. What is the point? Hindsight is 20/20 though and the QTE wasn't so evil in the past. But damn if it isn't the epitome now. During segments I know it is coming I just mash X+C & M1+M2. Done. Great game design and fun there.
  2. Scaling Difficulty - Made my 15 hour play-through more like 18. I had to replay many parts to prevent difficulty scaling and save backtrack often. The second play-through was basically a straight shot though. Not letting us toggle difficulty scaling kills possible purist play-throughs of the game. It's criminal to let the game baby down or make us replay segments ala Mega Man.
  3. Yellow Herbs - Just make them PTAs cause they are pretty much useless.
  4. ASHLEY SEGMENTS! - Ashley, please die.
  5. Jet Ski - You beat the final boss. Yes! Then do a pointless 2 minute, I mean 20 second escape to find a jet ski. Then done yet not. I have two deaths on my second play-through on record from the stupid jet ski part. The screen got confusing and I lost sight of a ramp. Will I replay the last boss to do the stupid part again? Nope. Luckily it doesn't hurt the play-through. The segment is asinine though and almost no fun. Kind of like Uncharted 1 but with broken thumbs.
  6. PC only issues - Graphical issues are one and I'm still pre-patch (working on that today). However, the QTE is borked. There is no way I had to do that X/C mash on Kaiser on the cube or PS2 like that. The other major issue I noticed was a sound glitch when fighting the parasite walkers.

Boat controls and Luis camping your line of sight are honorable mentions

Other then that, everything else with this game is pretty much perfect. No need for future upgrades from the series.

Salazar.

1. Go the the right.

Salazar is easy. Upgrade the BB as much as possible before you enter the room. Then fire 5 or 6 shot into his head as soon as he appears after the cutscene. You dont Even have to deal with the henchman tentacle!

The RE4 HD texture pack demo is fantastic. Yes, it's only the first two areas of the game, but we know they've made a lot more progress than that already. Seeing the game with high quality textures that actually fit the tone of the game, for the first time, is long long overdue.

bio42014-04-1910-02-1wdehb.png

bio42014-04-1910-05-0ujec9.png

bio42014-04-1910-05-3t4f5s.png

Just a few random screenshots. I love the note in the last one. Yes, I know my AA settings are kind of crap.

A note for Win 8 users, you might need to run the batch file from an administrative rights command line.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone take some downsampled screenshots of the PC version with the mods?

The amount of blur is freaking me out and I'm curious if it can be combated.

Bulk_Rate

Welp, finisher the old girl on Professional Thursday. 94 deaths....do I suck or is that similar to everyone else?

My greatest # of deaths were on the
elevator fight heading up to Salazar
- got stuck there with little ammo and died 12+ times. The setpiece battle after the
Krauser showdown
also claimed me several times until I found my mojo and just bypassed some of the baddies.

The texture mod is quite good. Very consistent so far and stays true to the source. I can't wait to see the finished product. Easily enough to inspire another play through.

I normally can't stand texture mods because they're made in a way that clashes with the cohesion or style of the game, but that's really good.

Yep. I literally hated every previous texture mod we saw for this game. This one is fantastic. I'd been hoping someone would approach the game this way for years. If you haven't seen the work they've been doing tracking down the original reference photographs for stuff in the game, you need to check out their blog.

http://re4hd.com

It's an extra step I never even imagined might be possible, but the results it's yielding are amazing.

The HD mod looks excellent, it retains the style of the original textures while still making them wonderfully crisp. Before I replayed the game on PC that was basically how it looked in my head when I remembered it.

gunbo13

Was playing mercs yesterday. Did 4 stars but now need to do 5. Then professional mode awaits. Going to be rough with no continues but I have most of the game memorized by now.

This game puts most modern games to shame with replayability. I can take Ada's stuff or leave it though.

Top Bottom